Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stenaline Ferry discount

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Have got lots of discounts from this site before so thought it was about time I repaid the favour!
    We travel a lot to the uk by ferry and are travelling again for this christmas.
    Price for car, 2a & 2c from Rosslare to Fishguard using normal unpromotional quote from http://www.stenaline.ie is €340.00
    However if you use this code -a158b the price comes down to €296.00
    (I used to use V780 but thanks to another poster for the a158b code here-http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57271364&highlight=stenaline#post57271364 )
    Ig you have one, you can also part pay using your stenaline compass points which can save a little more

However......
    If you got to http://www.stenaline.co.uk
    Put in same code a158b using same travel details etc..
    The price is £205 (using a cc), £202 (using a debit card)
    Using currency calculator (http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html) that works out at
    €242.14 (cc) / €238.57 (dc)
    A saving of nearly €100 off the irish site!!
    However for some reason the Uk site does not allow me part pay with my compass points - however the sterling price is still cheaper than the irish site even after part paying with compass points.
    All I need now is to get a uk compass card and I can part pay on the uk site!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Sigh, yet another example of us getting ripped off at every available opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DaveMR

True!
    I will be checking UK versions of Irish websites much more closely from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Code a463 gives 15% off the standard fares valid until 31-1-09.

I just booked a trip for late January and I saved over €80 by booking via the UK website.
    Always check the UK version of a website and see if there is a difference. Lately it seems that there are big savings to be had if you pay in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I just checked differences between uk site and irish
    so the same journey from dublin to holyhead(all without promotion code)
    uk £105
    ie 143€
    so better pay in sterling.
    Thx for that promotion code-( I need to consider book my trip for June).

btw: How do You think which option is the best:economy, flexi or premium? whats that Stena Plus lounge onboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thanks all for these codes,
    Any tips for travelling dublin-holyhead- is dublin port any better than going via dun-laoghaire- also, any tips for the trip itself- dos/don'ts

Cheers

• Advertisement

devil-80 wrote: »
    I just checked differences between uk site and irish
    so the same journey from dublin to holyhead(all without promotion code)
    uk £105
    ie 143€
    so better pay in sterling.
    Thx for that promotion code-( I need to consider book my trip for June).

btw: How do You think which option is the best:economy, flexi or premium? whats that Stena Plus lounge onboard?
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/routes/stena-plus/

Not worth it in my opinion. You get a seat and some free food and newspapers.

Flexi is usually the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

To be fair, Stena Plus does give you a lounge area, free tea, coffee, minerals, newspapers and waiter service on the ferry, with your food ordered from a special menu, also you board first, get off first and can change your booking up to the day you travel.

Now I know they charge extra but I travelled over the summer on the HSS from Dun Laoghaire and Stena Europe from Fishguard and both crossings were full and the Stena Plus really gave us a chance to relax and chill out when both vessels were packed.

So it is good value if you like a little bit extra, however it's not essential but I think it does offer the extra comfort factor for the money.

If you want a cabin, you cannot select the premium fares. Computer says no. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭maidhc

You should get another 10% off if you book through this link:
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ifa

(or try a046)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The .co.uk and .ie site now charge about the same, allowing for minor currency fluctuations.

• Advertisement

Still some differences of around €30 per return trip between the Uk and Ireland sites.
    Code a158b will give you 15% off the standard fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DaveMR

Compass Points - dont forget to register for your compass points as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny that i got a cheaper price recently on avis.ie rather than avis.co.uk for car hire (although my usual booking site 1st car rentals is underrcutting them all at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Anyone got any new discount codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Also looking for one for Irish Ferries - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I just got back from a Stena trip to Holyhead yesterday. I paid with my Tesco vouchers so did not cost me anything.
    I got stena plus for the 4 of us and it was €45 extra for the return journey and was worth it for the simple fact that the rest of the ship looks uncomfortable compared to the stena plus lounge. Apart from the snacks and soft drinks/water there is also wine included.

In my opinion it was worth it even if it was money out of my pocket. Oh and also you have your own toilets (with a code) which are very nice indeed and unlikely to be packed.

lods wrote: »
    Anyone got any new discount codes?
    A580 and A158 are still working.
    muckety wrote: »
    Also looking for one for Irish Ferries - anyone?
    They are rarer than hens teeth. I have yet to see a working code.

A580 and A158 are still working.

don't appear to be:confused:

V780 gives 12.5% discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kyle0r

Thanks for the share! V780 gave me a discount booking GB->IE return with car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

What an annoying website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle0r wrote: »
    Thanks for the share! V780 gave me a discount booking GB->IE return with car.
    Looks like this code has stopped working, I called up to confirm (because it prevented online booking) and CS said to many people had be using it and proof of discount eligibility was required to use the code :(

It was working a few weeks ago. Just checked now and it is still working for me.

And certainly no one has ever asked for proof of eligibility to use the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

5% cashback on stenaline bookings on be thrifty.ie, think its just the irish site though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are a foot passanger then UK rail tickets are very cheap - one way Ferry + Train to ANY UK rail station for £29 or less

you can buy tickets in any UK railway station anytime including the day of travel , you just have to choose which ferry Dublin port or Dun Laoghaire ,

only downside is you can't buy the tickets in Ireland so have to buy on line and have them posted out to you a week ahead ( postal strike and all that )

http://seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It was working a few weeks ago. Just checked now and it is still working for me.

And certainly no one has ever asked for proof of eligibility to use the code.
    It was working for me a few weeks ago too...
    In my most recent booking, I could still enter the code and progress the booking but when it tried to transition to payment stage... it threw an error. I called and as above was informed of the situation.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone gets this working again...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

Just tried the codes again and they are not working. anyone know if there are any special coming up, I am looking to travel first week of April 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Im looking something as well -Ill be travel at beginning of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

anybody got a discount code for stena. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 dkd

tweenie wrote: »
    anybody got a discount code for stena. Thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055864334
    Strictly speaking your requests should go in that forum.

Advertisement