Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crying when watching a movie/program

Options
  • 16-11-2008 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Ok post which movie you cried at or tv program lads & ladies :P

When he makes the comeback, Just a single tear :o "the Russian is cut, the russian is cut." & then the ending speech its all Epic. I can say I have never have a tear appear in my eyes in a love story movie or anything like that. I admit I do hide it thou with the "Ohh something is in my eye" :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

The Pianist
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    My Girl
    Rainman
    Hunger
    Grey's Anatomy - when Danny died
    The Green Mile - WEPT
    And don't tell anyone, but...P.S I Love You.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Pride & Prejudice, 2005 (several scenes in recent Keira Knightley remake)
    • Atonement, 2007 (last 5 minutes screentime when Redgrave reveals the real story)
    • Dr Zhivago, 1965 (Omar Sharif writes poetry to Laura)
    • Beautiful Mind, 2001 (Russell Crowe as Nash dedicates his Nobel Prize to wife)
    • Ladyhawke, 1985 (At the end, when the captain of the guards played by Rutger Hauer discovers that Ladyhawke Michelle Pfeiffer is alive)
    • The Phantom of the Opera, 2004 (Near the end when the Phantom, Gerard Butler, reveals himself to Emmy Rossum, along with succeeding scenes).
    • Dead Poet's Society, 1989 (When Neil Perry, played by Robert Sean Leonard, commits suicide following his lead in a school play; and when Todd Anderson played by Ethan Hawke confronts authority and stands on his desk proclaiming "O Captain! My Captain!" to his departing fired English teacher played by Robin Williams).
    • The Four Feathers, 2002 (When Abou Fatma, played by Djimon Hounsou, brings food and poison to his imprisoned and starving friend, played by Heath Ledger; and at the end, when Heath Ledger tells his fiancé Ethne, played by Kate Hudson, that "God put you in my way").

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh god, im awful. basically anything where people die, im a mess.

so i avoid pretty much all dramas. stick to cartoons and comedies. im miserable enough during real life, without watching stuff to make me more upset.

oddly, i always get a bit emotional during the weirdest moments.

surf's up - towards the end, when
    cody stops tank smashing chicken joe
    finding nemo - when they finally find nemo. i blubber.

there's a million others. im awful. emotional wreck.

oh god, even just browsing the boards, and my fella watching some drama, and gets to an emotional bit, im after shedding some tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 35mm-negative

Titanic !!!

When the ship is about to go under forever,
    cut to very old couple on bed cuddling,
    cut to mom reading her kids Tir na Nog,
    desprate faces of people knowing their about to die and nothing can be done,
    added with great orchastra music ,ohhhh......the cinema heard me cry that day.

best cry from a movie in my books :o

Brokeback Mountain made me blub, and I rarely cry at films.
    At Cinema Paradiso, I bawled. The music is so beautiful too it's hard not to get emotional.

The old reliables like The Champ and It's A Wonderful Life bring a tear to my eye. I cried reading the Green Mile and I cried in the cinema watching it, even though I knew what was coming.

I was stifling a laugh at Titanic, it was so cheesy and overblown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Big Fish (Literally hours of crying after that one), The Wind that shakes the barley, Pay it Forward, City of angels, American History X, Hard Ball (oh god, G-Baby!)...if it's sad, I'll cry, pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I remember tearing up at This is my Father. Maybe at the end of the English Patient as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

oh oh and the kite runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

During "Fifty First Dates" when Adam Sandler is standing around with a bunch of short term memory patients chatting to them and they keep forgetting stuff in like 10 seconds. That made me cry.

Other than that oddity, the usual suspects:

Gladiator
    Schindler's List
    Airplane (I laughed till I cried)
    The sound of the wife's car in the driveway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Dead Poet's Society, and when Todd Anderson played by Ethan Hawke confronts authority and stands on his desk proclaiming "O Captain! My Captain!" to his departing fired English teacher played by Robin Williams).
    I cried with laughter at the Famil Guy piss take. Pure genius :D

Braveheart - The ending (when Wallace screams 'freedom' while being tortured). I was 10 at the time.

The Wire - When Mike says goodbye to Bug and Dukie. Hard not to get emotional. Just a few weeks ago.

Shrek - Made me cry with laughter for most of the film. One of the greatest of all time.

The Lion King - When the lion fell off the cliff after fighting with Scarface. I blubbered. :(

They're the ones I remember. Probably weren't anymore actually. I'm hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

the lion king
    when simbas dad is killed
    the notebook
    when the old ally has to be sedated and dosent know noah
    hollyoaks-i just bawl at this a lot
    Dirty dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i cry at everything, im terrible for it. ill get teary watching soaps ffs.

when i was about 10 i went to a birthday party with boys (:eek: - big deal when i was 10 lol), & we were watching my girl & i mustve got a bit teary & one of the boys noticed & made a point of going "shes crying!" & everyone laughed & i was very embarassed & upset :o

my girl still makes me cry everytime.

Only film that I ever really remember crying at the end of is:

And i still do :(

Best film ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Amazing how they made
    the destruction of a machine
    so moving.

When I was younger this really upset me :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

At the end of Brokeback Mountain
    The ending of The Notebook
    The end of The Shipping News
    The end of When Harry Met Sally
    The bit in Bambi when his Mummy dies
    The bit in Dumbo where the mummy elephant puts her trunk out between the bars and rocks baby Dumbo...

And the old episode of Frasier, where Niles and Daphne dance the tango and he thinks she's declaring her feelings for him, but she tells him she was just playing along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Beaches

Why do we sit through movies that will make us the emotional equivalent of jelly fish? Never watched tearjerkers after crying through Beaches. Hate crying :mad:.. i like laughing, so give me something to cry laughing at.

Heard wonderful stuff about "the notebook" but you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

In the name of the father.

I blubbed like a baby the last time i saw it, however there may have been drink involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Not enough room for me to list them all.. i cry at the drop of a hat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Pherekydes wrote: »
    During "Fifty First Dates" when Adam Sandler is standing around with a bunch of short term memory patients chatting to them and they keep forgetting stuff in like 10 seconds. That made me cry.

:rolleyes:

I cry every time I watch 50first dates, seriously almost all the way through..she has to remember everything all over again everyday *sob*

haha but The Pianist was the worst/best...when Adrien Brody nearly gets shot I almost died crying and when he couldnt open the tin, and then he did and it spilled....oh weep weep clutching of asp to bosom. I love to cry during films, I never cry in real life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Oddly enough was just looking some clips relevant to this, didn't cry for any of these but did find them really sad:
    • Full Metal Alchemist - series end, there were a few other really sad bits in that series, e.g. the last time they face sloth.
    • Full Metal Alchemist - movie end
    • This little cartoon strip has a sad note to it too if you've watched the series and movie IMO:

• Babylon 5 - Tragedy of telepaths

• Babylon 5 - Sleeping In Light

Both the above series are great for making you really care about the characters.:(
    • The end of the film Powder.
    • Betty Blue,
      where he smothers her with the pillow
    • Armageddon,
      the scene where Harry takes AJ's place
      (I know odds are everyone's seen this but best to err on the safe side).
    • 30 Days of Night

• At the end of The Butterfly Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

All Dogs go to Heaven. Cannot stop the tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'd rarely cry when watching a film or show but I did remember not being able to stop crying when I watched 'once we were warriors'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

It would probably be easier for me to make a list of the films/programs I haven't cried at but these are the first few that come to mind...

The Holiday - when he's talking about being a widower...

Mar Adentro - In a big way. I was on the verge of tears the whole way through this film. Poignant isn't the word for it.

The episode of Lost where
    Charlie dies

This is my Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oh god, im awful. basically anything where people die, im a mess.

so i avoid pretty much all dramas. stick to cartoons and comedies. im miserable enough during real life, without watching stuff to make me more upset.
    pretty much sums me up to a T.

the latest for me would be in the latest episode of prison break
    the tearjerking speech t-bag gave about bellick after he heard he had died.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Big Fish

The Iron Giant

And the RTE 'Stardust' programme had me crying for a while too, but that was for real real, that was something that actually mattered, and made me feel guilty for crying at the two above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

I never really cry at movies or anything and I always love having a great laugh at people who do...

But this never fails to get me...

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=MODq81_cDKI

Also the end of Riding in Cars With Boys... at the end when she is going home in the car with her dad and theyre singing Dream Dream Dream... even when I listen to that song itself I turn into a mess!!!!!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

But this never fails to get me...

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=MODq81_cDKI

/wipes tears from eyes

Dammit, that should carry a health warning.

(for curious soles the linky is 'bright eyes', with the watership down rabbit animation)

*snuffle*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I cry at everything, I'm the worst,

The last thing I really really cried at was Liam dying in coronation Street, Oh my god, for two hours afterwards I was crying and when I went to bed I was even blubbing.

If i listed the things i cried at we would be here for the day.

Advertisement