Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia Vs Ford Focus

Options
  • 06-08-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi
    My Dad is stuck between buying a new Skoda Octavia Ambiente 1.9 Diesel or a Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 Tdsi Saloon. Any advice on which is best. Both deals come in roughly the same, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Don't be fooled by VW/Skoda reliability, that's all. The mechanics I work with say VW/skoda are a load of sh!t and wouldn't touch them. I was more of a VW man myself but after working with ford and VW I'd pick a ford!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 twingo

Thanks for that Plug

Any more helpful info anyone, we need to make a decision really soon, thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

Focus, Focus, Focus.....

Great engine matched to a great chassis..need I say anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Personally i prefer the look of the Octavia, interior and exterior I think it's a nicer looking car.

The focus is slightly quicker, almost a second faster 0-62 and also has 10 extra hp.

If it was up to me i'd go for the Octavia, very reliable, nice to drive and big on the inside. A very solid car.

Have a look on www.briskoda.net for more detailed info on the Octavia

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, the arguing is continuing here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with the Focus I think. or a Mazda3

twingo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, the arguing is continuing here!!!

has he anything else in mind? What's he changing up from? Does it have to be new?

Would I be right in saying a focus will hold its value longer than a skoda aswel?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

Plug wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying a focus will hold its value longer than a skoda aswel?;)

Not really according to Carzone.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?adv_form_submit=1&fuseaction=search&MakeID=9&xMakeID=9&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=78&xModelID=78&Doors=&BodyID=4248&Mileage_Max=&Mileage_Max_integer=Max+mileage+entered+was+not+an+integer.&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=2005&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=2005&Price_Min=&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&AutomaticOnly=&FuelID=2&searchtext=&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+Cars
    and
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?adv_form_submit=1&fuseaction=search&MakeID=28&xMakeID=28&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=248&xModelID=248&Doors=&BodyID=&Mileage_Max=&Mileage_Max_integer=Max+mileage+entered+was+not+an+integer.&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=2005&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=2005&Price_Min=&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&AutomaticOnly=&FuelID=2&searchtext=&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+Cars
    They both seem to average for 14k odd after 3 years.

Sorry, forgot to give my opinion.
    I would go for the Skoda based on looks, and I drive a VW diesel engined car that I couldn't fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The Octavia.

Its more reliable (dont know why the other guy thinks its not!!) check out the JD power survey results for 2008 the number 1 car out of all makes and models? The octavia. Much more roomy and better looking too. Plus the Focus is unrefined at speed and is noisy. I have driven both and would definitely go for the octavia. Get him the DSG box too if possible its great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Having driven both was left a bit cold by the Octavia, competent but oh so bland, the Focus on the other hand puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Tell us about your dad....what are likely to be the most important qualities in a potential car for him. They are different cars really, different characters so depends on what he values!

Thanks for all your advice everyone, well my Dad does an awful lot of business driving, hence the diesel. He likes to think he doesnt care what a car looks like but from looking at cars I know he does. We looked at the Mazda 3, Corolla and ruled them out, the corolla only being a 1.4 and he wasnt too gone on the Mazda. He is trading in a 05 Primera 1.6 petrol. I'm swaying towards the Focus because he seemed to really like it but wasnt too excited about the interior of exterior of the Octavia. The engines seem about the same. We are getting 1500 more for the Primera at the Ford garage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

How's things,
    IN the position ur father is in i think he's better off going for the Focus. It's a fresh face are there is a huge demand for them. Interior styling is better than it was and if he is going for the Zetec model he'll get a bit of spec. As for the Skoda, i think the current design in a bit dated, and is possibly due a change soon. As with all Vw/Skoda etc. u have to pay a few bob before u get any bit of spec. I was having a quick look on carzone there and the Ambiente model doesn't seem to be sticking out as the nicest looking. Also what i noticed was that there are 700+ Skoda's for sale in the 10 year period, with Ford topping 3300+.

As he'll be doing alot of mileage i'd be inquiring as to warranty on both. Miles per gallon etc would also be a factor.

IAs mentioned the Skoda is a solid car, but if it was myself i'd be going towards the Ford.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine wise the Focus has a 2nd generation common rail TDCI lump with 115bhp. The Skoda uses the venerable but old and relatively unrefined 1.9TDI unit with 105bhp.

Zetec model Foci have a/c, sports seats and suspension. Skoda Ambiente don't.

Skoda is a bit bigger, but as a drivers car the Focus wins.

Both should be pretty reliable.

Servicing costs will differ, Ford dealers offer fixed menu servicing which is good value.

Don't be fooled by VW/Skoda reliability, that's all. The mechanics I work with say VW/skoda are a load of sh!t and wouldn't touch them. I was more of a VW man myself but after working with ford and VW I'd pick a ford!

Are you on the FORD PR payroll?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd think your dad'll find the Focus more interesting and rewarding to drive if he's doing big mileage. Plus it's the newer, more sophisticated car.

Well the Focus has just been ordered, We ended up on a much better deal with it too. Thanks for all the advice!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Good choice!

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    Are you on the FORD PR payroll?!
    Im an apprentice mechanic with ford:o
    I think Im being brain washed but theres mechanics even at VW that will tell you ford are better in terms of value/spec and much easier to work on;)
    Also that 1.9TDI is very old.

That's true, the 2.0Tdi is definately a better option. 2.5k extra but well worth it in my opinion. The 140bhp (35 more than the 1.9Tdi) would be well worth it and a massive improvement.

I still want an RS in white tho!

OP: Hope the focus goes well for your father!

Im an apprentice mechanic with ford:o
    I think Im being brain washed but theres mechanics even at VW that will tell you ford are better in terms of value/spec and much easier to work on;)

I knew it! Well I suppose I was indirectly on the Ford payroll too until recently (now the TATA payroll!). Ford are better than VW in terms of spec alright but Skoda is a different story. On reliability issues I am certain VW are more reliable than Ford. Check out the JD power survey, number 1 car 2years in a row is Octavia!

Anyway, gotten your hands on the new RS yet? Looks awesome

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think VW's reliabilty is a myth tbh.

I agree that Skodas are better specced than VW's and seem to be better built too.

In the OP's example though a/c was not standard on the Octavia (an important omission) and the 1.9 TDI is an old nail at this stage of the game.

p.s. New Focus RS will not arrive in Ireland for months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

only ever ask for the cost to change,thats the only figure that counts.the trade in amount they offer you does not matter to you at all.
    i have had a focus and octavia. for me octavia is the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I knew it! Well I suppose I was indirectly on the Ford payroll too until recently (now the TATA payroll!). Ford are better than VW in terms of spec alright but Skoda is a different story. On reliability issues I am certain VW are more reliable than Ford. Check out the JD power survey, number 1 car 2years in a row is Octavia!

A Land Rover man??

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I have had a few Focus TdCI hire cars and while they have all been very competent and I honestly would find it hard to find any major faults with any of them my overriding impression of them is they are built down to a price. The interiors are plasticky, seats just about adequately comfortable, things like drum brakes on the rear. (Most bike manufactures stopped using drum brakes about 20 years ago).
    To me it seems all the money for the car went into the development and they have cut corners in production to recoup the costs.
    I've owned a few Octavias and while its not quite as dynamic a drive as the Focus overall it's a better package. Its weak point may be the 105bhp PD engine but its also its strong point because in the Octavia it's uber reliable and economical, 55-60mpg easily achieved.
    Anyway this makes no difference now and best of luck with the new car.

A Land Rover man??

Well Jaguar really but its all the same now.....JLR...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

A Land Rover man??

I believe Mr. David mentioned Jaguar at some stage...

edit: Duh...

• Advertisement

nop there not out yet there coming out in 09. Hopefully I win the lotto tonight I'll buy one in green:D

Advertisement