Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-06-2008, 11:16   #16

Article here on same.
Advertisement
04-07-2008, 17:12   #17

Descedants view

Hello, Sorry for jumping in. I am a little interested in the story. My main reason is that Lizzie O'Neill (or Honor Bright) was my Grandmother. My sister has been invistigating the incident over many years. The whole story has yet to come out, but we do know the Garda is still holding the investigation and some trial documents despite the Irish Statute of Limitations. We think this is because they may involve an Irish statesman of the day. To be fair this is not fully proven. but the press of the day had a lot to say on the subject. There is a small book which goes in to some detail of the trial procedure and happenings of that fateful evening. It is by Patricia Hughes (my sister) "W. B. Yeats and the Murder of Honor Bright". I hope this helps a little.
Thanks from:
05-07-2008, 12:21   #18
PLH

Honor Bright was my grandmother. Her real name was Lily O'Neill, though she also called herself Lizzie. She was never Elizabeth - that was just a name assumed to be hers by the reporters who wrote about her murder. I am in the process of discovering more about her life and would welcome contact with any actual witnesses to her life or circumstances. I have written a book about her, available on www.lulu.com, entitled W.B.Yeats and the Murder of Honor Bright. Strange to say, nost people have not read all the evidence available, even though they may think they have. Why not find out for yourself if she really was a prostitute, or just a glorified Irish myth invented by the police at the time? Read my book and start a journey of exploration.
30-07-2008, 23:53   #19
dogmatix

There is a plague set into the wall dedicated to the memory of Honour Bright at the city end of the Ticknock road if anyone is still interested. Don't know how long it has been there.
06-08-2008, 19:15   #20
meathstevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratton Fred View Post
do you not get bored of randomly blaming the British for everything?
On a sidenote :
I don't think a lot of people liked the British police in the Victorian era and immedeatly after. Not even most British themselves. Nothing to do with where they were from or what exactly was on their epaulettes, police in those days wasn't what police is today.
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 12:04   #21
manchild

honour bright murder

Can anyone tell me where the plaque to the memory of honour bright is located. i believe it is set in a wall somewhere on the Ticknock road. Or perhaps it has been moved with the road works associated with the M50 ?
01-07-2009, 12:15   #22
PLH

Honor Bright

Honor Bright was my grandmother and I have been researching her past for the last few years. You'll find the plaque is still in position about 500 yards from Lamb Doyle's public house. It's low down on a stone wall, but I can't tell you the name of the road. It was moved when the new road was built. If you send me your email address I'll be glad to send you a photgraph of it.
01-07-2009, 17:07   #23

Interesting - what became of the two accused.
01-07-2009, 22:50   #24
PLH

It's not known.

I have looked for Leopold Dillon's place of birth in Ireland in 1900 but have not found it, nor his death certificate, though I am hampered by not knowing what year he died. Various stories have been offered about his later life, for example, some say he travelled to the USA and committed suicide or was killed on disemberking. Others say he committed suicide in Ireland. If you know more about it, please tell me.

Partick Purcell was ostracised in Blessington after the trial and local shops refused to serve his wife. He found work as a doctor in Kent, England. Later his son of the same name also became a doctor, and he is now retired. He does not reply to letters concerning the Honor Bright case.

More evidence about them is probably availably in the police record of the case, but Dublin Castle Police Archive is still refusing to release any papers about the case (other than those used in court, which were released in 1926) even though it is now 84 years after her death.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if there is anything I've missed out.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2009, 09:39   #25

The Plaque is located outside and in the wall of "Capilano, Ticknock Road, Sandyford, Dublin 16". Rumour has it that the plaque installation was commissioned by the previous occupier of the house who had lived there since the murder, I don't know the exact date. It was made by the local stonemason. Prior to the plaque there was a small cross carved in to the wall stone sometime after the event. That stone was replaced by a 'clean' one and again shortly afterwards a further cross was carved. The area is remote and no-one has identified who cut the original crosses. There are flowers left at the plaque periodically and again no one sees the provider. It is possible it is a local journalist/historian who wrote a piece in a Dublin paper a few years ago wishes to keep the memory alive. I thank him if indeed it is him. I hope this helps a little. M
02-07-2009, 19:23   #26

I have often passed the plaque. I am in no way religious but I always like to think that if there is a heaven, paradise or whatever, that the poor woman is at peace.

I read a book recently, 'Where no-one Can Hear You Cry', by a woman journalist; her name escapes me, but the murder in question was the first one described. It deals with many murders in the Wicklow area. As a woman I found it disturbing and chilling.
02-07-2009, 19:43   #27
PLH

I had the same thought and would like to thank you for thinking of her.
08-07-2009, 22:31   #28
pjproby

you can download that book for €6.80 from
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperbac...-bright/761602
there is a fascinating theory at the heart of the book which you may or may not choose to believe.
you will certainly learn a lot more about the murder and about Honor Bright herself.
If she did use the name Honor Bright what is the significance of the name?
08-07-2009, 22:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingBabe View Post
I read a book recently, 'Where no-one Can Hear You Cry', by a woman journalist; her name escapes me, but the murder in question was the first one described. It deals with many murders in the Wicklow area. As a woman I found it disturbing and chilling.
As a man I find murder chilling too.
Thanks from:
10-07-2009, 11:23   #30
manchild

honour bright

thanks to all for the information on Honour Bright

Found the plaque read the book now to find the graveyard. I met a woman during my quest from the ticknock area who tells me that she was not buried in the graveyard but outside of it.

Can anyone give me information on this. You know ireland of old she was in sin and all that. The real sinners were on the alter as we now know.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion