Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-02-2008, 13:39   #31
azezil
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbaby View Post
A size 30" waist would you a male "size zero" not exactly standard for an irish male.
A mate of mine wears jeans with a 26" waist, does that make him sub zero? *grin*
Advertisement
15-02-2008, 14:33   #32
aluapnaej

It's ok for some bits and pieces but I can't help but wonder how on earth they can afford to sell clothes so cheaply? God knows the conditions of the workers who make them, then again more luxury brands (nike etc) have been accused of using sweatshops too so if I was to think about it too much I probably woulnd't buy anything!
15-02-2008, 15:20   #33
beanyb

Penney's can be great, you just have to shop selectively and ALWAYS try things on, because the fit can be totally ****e on a lot of things.

The best way to wear anything decent that you come across in Penney's is with something more expensive. It'll look cheap if you dress ALL in Penney's clothes. People regularly look at me in complete shock when I tell them something I'm wearing is from Penney's!
15-02-2008, 15:51   #34
fuzzywiggle

I buy socks and beach wear for holidays in there! They do nice bikinis, shorts, skirts and string tops etc. Things that you'd only wear once anyways so might aswell get them cheap.
15-02-2008, 16:35   #35
Serpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo980 View Post
Walk into Penney's and you see that it generally attracts a certain type of customer. The kind who doesn't think anything of wearing pastel colours with their bright white addidas 'trainer's.

It's fine for boxers, cheap work shirts and socks, but that really is about the height of it.

Funny! Exactly my experience of it! I personally don't go near it, lots of my friends do but they're into getting cheap trends whereas I don't follow fashion & prefer quality over a quick fix. As for their scarves/bags, I know they're cheap but I've heard about them ripping/colour coming off etc after a few uses so its really false economy in my book
Advertisement
15-02-2008, 17:13   #36
Lola123

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasers View Post
best shop ever

you get great little jumpers and cardigans, tshirts, shoes and socks

I shop a lot and I love buying cheap little things, I don't expect something durable and long lasting.

You get a few good wears, throw it away and buy something new!
I don't buy trousers there though, they're all made for short people
This is exactly why I love it..... and I'm short(ish) so I can wear the trousers.
Some of the stuff is a bit tacky but some of it, if worn with the right stuff is fab. I'm always flattered to get compliments on my clothes (I adore shopping and all things fashion related) and people are always surprised when I say i got stuff in penny's!
15-02-2008, 17:49   #37
Deadevil129
Closed Account

I find the place very hit and miss. I've bought things in there that haven't lasted a single wash and other things that somehow have still held up much longer than some more expensive thing's I've bought. It's great for little bits and pieces although I'd never buy jeans or pants in there, they have the most awful fit i've ever come across.
15-02-2008, 20:39   #38
pinklady2

Pennys!!

Pennys is great. I do think that you need to have the eye to Pick out the right items..I find the quality of their Bag,clothes & shoes very good noting I have ever bought has fallen apart.

When I do wear something from Pennys I am always asked where did you buy that..I think that says it all. The pennys in Swords is the best one I find it is always spotless and never to mad either.

I do not think it attracts a certain type of client either, I do not know what Pennys some people shop in...
15-02-2008, 20:56   #39
~nop~

Love pennies. Wouldnt buy the jeans but cardigans, tshirts etc are all brilliant.
You can really see celtic tiger ireland coming out in this thread, the arrogance of some people!
Advertisement
15-02-2008, 22:03   #40
speedboatchase

Arrogance? Penneys is absolute slave labour cheap ****e. If you cared about the quality, fit and design of your clothes then you'd know Penneys stuff holds up in none of these categorys. If you're only buying socks etc in there then fair enough but if I had known a girl had bought an entire outfit there I'd have a good laugh.

Penneys is to fashion what pot noodles is to food
15-02-2008, 23:12   #41
Kintarō Hattori

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~nop~ View Post
Love pennies. Wouldnt buy the jeans but cardigans, tshirts etc are all brilliant.
You can really see celtic tiger ireland coming out in this thread, the arrogance of some people!
No it really is cheap muck. The quality of the clothes isn't great at all. I bought the odd t-shirt along the way and just don't wear them, they don't fit comfortably at all. I bought some trousers for work, they are very poor quality. They really are only good for the likes of small things that either don't matter such as socks and underwear or things like shirts and ties.

In relation to women's clothes it's plain to see the poor quality of many of the items. There is an old saying that 'You get what you pay for' and that's certainly the case with penney's.

The general consensus within the thread seems to be that they are fine for small items but a no-no for main items of clothing. They have their place, just not as a fashion mecca. There's no arrogance on display here, just common sense.
16-02-2008, 01:12   #42
simu
Closed Account

If anything, Penney's is a symptom of the Celtic Tiger - people happy to buy clothes that fall apart very quickly and keep replacing them. In the old days, they used to buy the best quality they could afford and keep repairing things for years!
16-02-2008, 04:20   #43
jezza

no way would i be caught in pennies god
16-02-2008, 13:12   #44
Garret

their womens is sooooooooo much better than their mens
16-02-2008, 17:37   #45
pinklady2

Pennys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedboatchase View Post
Arrogance? Penneys is absolute slave labour cheap ****e. If you cared about the quality, fit and design of your clothes then you'd know Penneys stuff holds up in none of these categorys. If you're only buying socks etc in there then fair enough but if I had known a girl had bought an entire outfit there I'd have a good laugh.

Penneys is to fashion what pot noodles is to food
I knew that the issue of Slave Labour would be brought up, I looked into this as I buy whole outfits from Pennys (shock), I was worried about what I was contributing to by shopping there...I mailed a group who are very active in their fight against Child Labour and asked them about child labour and Pennys to find out if they were still linked to it. That was last year and I have gotten no reply.

I wonder why there has not been more media coverage /protest ect.. if child labour is very active in Pennys Produce..also shops like Topshop, Dunnes,Tesco,GAP,Nike have been linked to the same and I am sure there are many more designer shops linked to same.
Thread Closed