Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny's/Primark

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

kittex wrote: »
    As for the use of child labour, I think we need to be realistic, it should not happen, but it does and companies need to be more vigilant in their inspections. They also should stop setting companies unrealistic targets. The reason all those tops were outsourced was because the turn around was too short for the factory to do such 'complicated' beading and embroidery.

Penney's have been in the business long enough to know that the factories they have can not reach the targets they are set unless the ethical trading policy is broken. They knew that stuff like this must have been happening, anyone with half a brain can figure out that these clothes simply can't be made in such bulk so rapidly by these factories alone. That's simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Penneys is good for socks, underwear, vest tops etc. i also have a few paris of pumps from there and they are really good quality and very confy too! I do admit some of their stuff is horribly tacky and brash, but as people have already said it's all about buying the right pieces!!

And btw it's Penneys NOT Penny's, Pennies or Penney's.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

lizt wrote: »

And btw it's Penneys NOT Penny's, Pennies or Penney's.;)

Thank you! That needed to be said!

I'm not the world's most enthusiastic clothes shopper but when I do manage to drag myself into the shops, I usually pop into Penneys. It's hit and miss. Same as anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

great for boxers(really comfy) and socks and the od vest for bed but after that the quality isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Great for basics and the odd gem if you look hard enough :D Saw me through 7 years of broke third-level study and I still drop in there on and off to check it out.

Went in for a look a few weeks ago and got 6 tops for 44E.
    Class :P And I don't care what anyone else thinks either, I often get complimented on Penneys clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Penneys sometimes has something decent in the clothes but it is better at bags, underwear and household stuff. The quality of some of the clothes leave a lot to be desired! And there is something nice about wearing a high street label more so than Penneys or Dunnes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

luv it 5 bags of clothes for €70

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm sorry but if a lady did a fair amount of her clothes shopping at penneys she'd drop off of my radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Just wondering, how exactly would you know if a lady did a lot of her clothes shopping in Penneys? Do you mean if she told you or can you tell just by the look of them? To me most of the clothes look the same as items they sell in River Island/Dunnes etc. (design, style, colour).

Also genuine question here, why would she "drop off your radar"? Because the clothes are cheap?

One major selling point for me is that the clothes don't seem to have a massive company name/logo on the front (from what I've seen/bought anyway!

I've shopped in Penneys and bought a few bits and pieces I liked, as I have done in River Island, Topman, Arnotts etc. For me it's no better and no worse than the other clothes shop chains around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Brill for 'throw away fashion' and you can get the odd good stuff there.
    But overall I try to buy there infrequently as nothing more embarrassing than wearing same top/shoes etc as everyone else as mass produced.

If I found really nice dress/coat in there would keep it for few mths and then wear it.
    Least everyone might of forgotten its from Pennys - once its good quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I'm sorry but if a lady did a fair amount of her clothes shopping at penneys she'd drop off of my radar.

more money than sense here

Just wondering, how exactly would you know if a lady did a lot of her clothes shopping in Penneys? Do you mean if she told you or can you tell just by the look of them? To me most of the clothes look the same as items they sell in River Island/Dunnes etc. (design, style, colour).

She wouldn't have to tell me she'd shopped there. It'd be blatantly obvious. They are cheap to produce and cheap looking. Plus I could also tell by the fact that I'd see the same clothes everywhere.
    Also genuine question here, why would she "drop off your radar"? Because the clothes are cheap?
    I don't have anything against cheap, but they don't look nice at all. Horrible materials and lovely luminous colours.

LouOB wrote: »
    more money than sense here

Far from it. As mentioned they are fine for bits and pieces but their clothes look poor and the quality isn't the may west.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The great thing about Penneys clothes is that you dont feel guilty if they get wrecked, I'm off to buy some trackie bottoms tomorrow which will probably get covered in mud at the weekend and I'm ok with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

From experience, Penney's Clothes tend to last about 1/3 the amount of time, as a decently made brand, so in the end, you pay about the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

She wouldn't have to tell me she'd shopped there. It'd be blatantly obvious. They are cheap to produce and cheap looking. Plus I could also tell by the fact that I'd see the same clothes everywhere.

Not always, if you're careful. I get LOADS of compliments about several tops I got in Penneys. My flatmate was shocked yesterday when I told her my top, cardigan and boots all came from Penneys. I don't think I'm a tacky dresser at all, I generally go for plainer stuff but I'm not going to spend 50 quid on a white top with a bow in Oasis when I can get it in Penneys for 9 quid. I think you just need to look carefully and not buy any old rubbish just because it's cheap. I'd love to buy my whole wardrobe in Urban Outfitters but just can't afford it so mixing a few pieces from there with Penneys, H&M and Zara stuff usually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭blondeambition

Seem some of the sex and the city style dresses in there recently. The quality looks ok and is price is goodWonder if the fit is good on them though.

Handy enough if they fit well coz with dresses it's not like something you keep for years. Well I know I only wear the same dress 3/4 times unless its a really plain one to dress up or down.

Anyone tried the Penneys dresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

Have to say I love Penneys. As a good few others have said it's all about chosing carefully. I have a couple of maxi dresses that people are always amazed to hear I bought there, simply because they were items that for some reason the company didn't 'mass produce' as much as they normally would - also I tend to wear them sparingly and put them with great shoes and accessories.
    Also I recently bought items there (skirt, top and dress) that were highly complimented by colleagues so I don't think it's fair to say that it's obvious when people have dressed themselves in clothes from this store.
    I would honestly probably be lost (or rather seriously broke) without it because I like to buy new stuff so regularly. So for me Penneys does the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I dont mind shopping there every now and again cos they do nice tracksuits and sometimes there bags are cute! oh and cant beat their cute socks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

clotheswise they dont have a great selection and quality isnt great but i love their underwear and earrings.. dont think iv ever gone in without buyin a bra or earrings ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Got some nice shirts up in Primark in Norn Iron, lovely stuff.

I'd agree about the durability of the clothes, but it's a grand shop to pick up a nice shirt/jacket whatever else- providing you're not expecting any long term wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I bought a penneys strapless dress,black and white check,fit wasnt great on top but fixed it with a few pins..and i love it and was complimented on it. 19euro and with light bone corset which made it feel better quality.also got a fab black belted cardi there last month but it got nicked on a night out..who would nick a penneys cardi..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Babypanda

Im so anoyed with the people that work in Pennys!! i seen a lovely dress today in pennys checked the hanger to see if it was my size and it said it was so i bought it and brought it home, And then when i went to try it on it was my size at all!!!!! Im so sick of them putting the wrong hangers on different sized clothes! This really upset me and i was really looking forward to wearing this dress!

Can anyone tell me if i brought it back to a different Pennys would they exchange it for me? because i have no way back to the shop i bought it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You didn't check the tag? Penneys stuff is always on the wrong hanger so I just vheck the tags automatically now...

Anyway yes, they should exchange it in any branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 roverseire

Babypanda wrote: »
    Im so anoyed with the people that work in Pennys!! i seen a lovely dress today in pennys checked the hanger to see if it was my size and it said it was so i bought it and brought it home, And then when i went to try it on it was my size at all!!!!! Im so sick of them putting the wrong hangers on different sized clothes! This really upset me and i was really looking forward to wearing this dress!

Can anyone tell me if i brought it back to a different Pennys would they exchange it for me? because i have no way back to the shop i bought it in!

How is it Pennys staffs fault?
    Did you even think that it might have been a customer in the fitting room that mixed up the hangers?
    Im sure the staff have other things to be doing than swapping the hangers about.
    Always check the size on the actual clothing as thats what you are going to wear not the hanger :)

They should swap the sizes over in any store, ive never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Im so anoyed with the people that work in Pennys!! ..... Im so sick of them putting the wrong hangers on different sized clothes! This really upset me and i was really looking forward to wearing this dress!

Almost definitely not the fault of the staff. Customers in Penneys seem to lose all their manners when they step into the shop...dropping clothes on the floor and not picking them up, putting things onto the wrong hangers etc.

Yes you can if you have the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It's not usually the staff, the customers put things back on the wrong hanger. You should always check the actual garment. This goes for any shop, it's just worse in Penneys because people throw the clothes all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well done on resurrecting a 3 year old thread.

Thread closed

dudarab

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement