Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Problems

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I dunno if anyone else is expieriencing it.

Am on the 2MB package in the ROI.

The Modem will connect for maybe 10 minutes and then it stops working for 5 minutes. This has been happening now for a week or so.

Any explanations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

alot of the BT voyager modems are set incorrectly to 1500 for southern Ireland DSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Hhmmm.

You couldn't help me a bit. I have my modem connected to a router which has an IP of 192.168.1.1

Should I diconnect from the router and hook up to the modem using an ethernet cable directly and then get into the moden using 192.168.1.1 ?

BTW, I have a Linksys router and the internet settings has MTU set to Auto which is 1492.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Have the 2mb Quicksilver pack and never any bother, using xbox live the past week and nae bother either

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Niall1234 wrote:
    I dunno if anyone else is expieriencing it.

Am on the 2MB package in the ROI.

The Modem will connect for maybe 10 minutes and then it stops working for 5 minutes. This has been happening now for a week or so.

Any explanations ?

Your line quality could have deteriorated - it happens! Post in the UTV support group and Carl might have a look at your line for you.

Check your line stats in the linksys if you can.

News.utvinternet.com (in outlook express for setting up the newsgroup)

and utvsupport on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Having issues with connection speed over UTV. See my post here

• Advertisement

Anderson. Nothing to do with the actual speed itself. Its just that the connection keeps dropping.

I went into the Modem settings earlier. Everything looks fine. When I try to connect it tells me something that I can't connect to the PPPoE server.

Does this have something to do with DNS servers going down which I hear is a common UTV problems. if so I have a few public DNS servers

ns1.granitecanyon.com ( 205.166.226.38 )
    ns2.granitecanyon.com ( 38.97.212.53 )

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Niall1234 wrote:
    Anderson. Nothing to do with the actual speed itself. Its just that the connection keeps dropping.

I went into the Modem settings earlier. Everything looks fine. When I try to connect it tells me something that I can't connect to the PPPoE server.

Does this have something to do with DNS servers going down which I hear is a common UTV problems. if so I have a few public DNS servers

ns1.granitecanyon.com ( 205.166.226.38 )
    ns2.granitecanyon.com ( 38.97.212.53 )

Yeah, Im with UTV and Im seeing the same problems. Only in the last few weeks. Id been too lazy to email them.

OK.

The UTV internet was out for most of yesterday for me. Cleared up a bit last night, although I had to restart my modem every 30 minutes or so as the connection was repeatedly dropping as my modem couldn't connect the PPPoE server.

I'm after sending an email to UTV and I'll post any replies I get here.

Good to hear that its not just me expieriencing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Niall1234 wrote:
    OK.

The UTV internet was out for most of yesterday for me. Cleared up a bit last night, although I had to restart my modem every 30 minutes or so as the connection was repeatedly dropping as my modem couldn't connect the PPPoE server.

I'm after sending an email to UTV and I'll post any replies I get here.

Good to hear that its not just me expieriencing problems.

Yeah, I have to switch off and on my modem every 30 min or so. Keep me posted on any reply you get from UTV. Im going to email them myself as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

formatman wrote:

alot of the BT voyager modems are set incorrectly to 1500 for southern Ireland DSL

MTU wouldn't have any affect on something like what the op has noted, its more likely to be down to physical connections within his/her home and overall line quality (db levels)

• Advertisement

I've just received the following information on the broadband fault I logged for this fault.

Eircom rejected this: 142 Telephone Line is Faulty

Its believed there is some underlying PSTN issue is present or it could be their internal network too.

It'll need testing with their line provider.

Could you ring your telephone service provider and get them carry out a line test for you? If it comes up RED, this will indicate that there is a fault on the line and a telephone fault will be logged. If it comes back GREEN, you may want to try disconnecting equipment off the circuit and try the router on the main telephone socket.

Hopefully the fault lies with the actual line coming to your house.

So it looks as if my telephone line is faulty ? Has this happened to anyone else here ?

I'll have to ring to Eircom. Has anyone who are getting broadband from another company had to do this ? Will I just get told to f*ck off ?

Could someone explain wether this fault has anything to do with noise at my end. I've just noted that one telephone didn't have a DSL Filter on it. I unplugged it and still no luck.

I then unplugged everything and plugged the modem in. Still no luck.

Just wondering but should I try to limit the amount of stuff connected to the phoneline when Eircom will be doing the line checks ?

Any help ?

May I also add that my broadband seems to work a lot better from about 11 PM onwards and is now not working at all during the day time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Have drop issues every now and then, but certainly no problems connecting daytime -v- nighttime, been fine the last week or so, a couple of weeks ago was prettly bad one weekend, but generally fine....

OK guys. I think i have my problem solved.

I think it has to do with overheating issues with my Voyager 210 Modem. I left it unplugged for 20 minutes and everything is working fine now.

It would explain why my broadband was working at night as it would be cooler in my hallway where the modem is.

Anyone know will UTV cover me for a new free modem considering this one obviously has over heating issues ?

Advertisement