Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Kermode

Options
  • 30-05-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭

I know this chap is quite popular in the UK due to his excellent radio reviews and his appearances on stuff such as Newsnight and The Culture show. Kermode is probably the only critic I have quite a bit of respect for, it doesn’t matter if a film is an Indy darling if Mark will still tear it to shreds, for example Babel and Closer were murdered by him. His rants are wonderfully entertaining for proof just listen to him again rip through Kiera Knighley and Orlando Bloom in the latest Pirates thing on the BBC Radio5 site. He also thinks the Exorcist is the greatest film ever made and was thrown out of Cannes for going mental with critics who were orgasming over the film the Idiots! And of course recently irritated Leo Di Caprio by stating at the start of the interview “I have forgiven you for Titantic” Leo was not amused!
    Anyways anyone else got an opinion on the chap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ahh, Kermode's great. I often enjoy movies he slams, and dislike movies he praises, but he's always entertaining and insightful.
    His referral to Orlando Bloom as "Orloomdo Bland" had me cracking up recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

He's the only critic out there worth listening to (except for yours truly, of course! :D ) When he goes on a rant, it's a joy to listen to. Examples-

The problem with 'Sex Lives of the Potato Men' is it is absolutely, indescribably horrible, vulgar, stupid, tawdry, depressing, embarassing, filthy, vile, stinky, repugnant, slimy, unclean, nasty, degenerative and mind-numbing.

If you pay money to go see 'Pirates of the Caribbean' it's your own fault, and you're bringing down the collapse of Western Civilization.

[Little Man is] the most retrograde, horrible, nauseating, inward-looking, smug, repulsive, grotesque, ill-advised, badly-judged film. And if you go see it, shame on you. SHAME ON YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

i remember him doing a star wars show around about the time the last movie came out (ep 3 - may 2005) and it was about how he never liked the movies but could understand how others did and invited 6 people to try and convert him. needless to say they failed. but it is a measure of the man that he will take other opinions on board and at least give a good reason as to why he does not like something, unlike wossy who will not like a flim based on the fact that he saw it early in the morning !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I frequently disagree with him, (Pirates 2 was not 'the death of narrative cinema'...) but he is compelling listening. Well argued, passionate opinions, a fair bit of humour and a depth of knowledge. I love the presenter on his podcast who always winds him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I frequently disagree with him, (Pirates 2 was not 'the death of narrative cinema'...) but he is compelling listening. Well argued, passionate opinions, a fair bit of humour and a depth of knowledge. I love the presenter on his podcast who always winds him up.

Thats Simon Mayo.I really have to dig up his star wars review when I get home it was top class. He also seems to dislike Quentin Tarantino big time at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Moussdog

Is that the guy who used to (or maybe still does) introduce films on Channel 4. He seemed fairly intense but thoroughly entertaining.

Did Channel 4 therefore only screen films he liked? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

i am sure he has been on channel 4 in the past but i cant seem to remember him introducing movies on there recently. he is a tall guy with slicked back black hair (going a bit gray) and is always dressed very smartly. he usually works for the BBC on tv and radio.

he also plays the double bass and loves skiffle music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be honest, I find him far, far too superfluous in his rantings to take seriously as a film critic.

Yes, the fall of western civilization... Death of narrative... Blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

His can be entertaining though.

He does go over the top at times, and I rarely take his reviews seriously but in comparision to Jonathan Ross he's leagues ahead. Ross is like his brother Paul Ross, both are poster whores who it seems will do anything to get on a poster and if they can't they just slam the film, just look at Woss's review of Clerks 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

he's great. Completely over the top sometimes but his pithy oneliners for the top 10 are hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

One of the most intelligent and well read film critics out there, although his podcast can get bogged down in the need to get a new "Kermode rant" out there. For evidence of his credentials watch any of the documentaries he's been involved with (such as the excellent one available on the Shawshank Redemption DVD), listen to one of his audio commentaries or read his newspaper articles (google "kermode observer").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Kermode's ok, but I did nearly cry laughing when I heard the report of someone writing in to tell him that he disagreed with his review of the Da Vinci Code. The guy said he enjoyed the film for what it was, light entertainment, but then again, that he had a job that challenged him and didn't need his intellectual stimulation to come merely from films. :D

Also, shouldn't he branch out into music criticism, given that he's based his hairstyle and dress sense seemingly entirely on Morrissey? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

kermode is very good and completly over the top.
    vast knowledge of cinema in its various guises.
    You just need to take him with a pinch of salt. normally very much on the ball though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

To be honest, I find him far, far too superfluous in his rantings to take seriously as a film critic.
    Supercilious surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Robbo wrote:
    Supercilious surely?

No, superfluous. As in his gross exaggerations, eg 'Death of narrative'. Although supercilious is probably relevant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Rjd2 wrote:
    I know this chap is quite popular in the UK due to his excellent radio reviews and his appearances on stuff such as Newsnight and The Culture show. Kermode is probably the only critic I have quite a bit of respect for, it doesn’t matter if a film is an Indy darling if Mark will still tear it to shreds, for example Babel and Closer were murdered by him. His rants are wonderfully entertaining for proof just listen to him again rip through Kiera Knighley and Orlando Bloom in the latest Pirates thing on the BBC Radio5 site. He also thinks the Exorcist is the greatest film ever made and was thrown out of Cannes for going mental with critics who were orgasming over the film the Idiots! And of course recently irritated Leo Di Caprio by stating at the start of the interview “I have forgiven you for Titantic” Leo was not amused!
    Anyways anyone else got an opinion on the chap?

He's spot on too, a film so far up it's own arse it can smell hair gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Crucifix wrote:
    His referral to Orlando Bloom as "Orloomdo Bland" had me cracking up recently.

Rich him joking about peoples names considering his is similar to that of a portable toilet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i like kermode. he's one of those critics he's prob great to have a few beers with where your indepth conversation about lawrence of arabia being o'toole's best performance and the exorcist being more a social movement than a horror film soon falls fall to "would you give kate beckinsale one if you were married to halle berry?"

seriously tho, i enjoy his reviews, although i dont always agree. and lets be honest, his jibe at di caprio was not out of place! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

yes kermode the guy with the rockabilly quiff...

i had respect for him until he revealed that the exorcist was his favorite movie of all time...i mean surely the guy can't be serious!!:cool:

I'd like a thread where we can discuss his views on new releases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

philstar wrote: »
    yes kermode the guy with the rockabilly quiff
    Very similar style, hair colour and interest in rockabilly/skiffle as another Mark who works for the Beeb - Lamarr.

Anyway, yeah I like Kermode. Before he became a regular contributor on BBC, he did mostly print reviews and he presented one-off documentaries, such as ones on The Exorcist, The Wickerman, Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange. He also regularly contributes to those top 100 whatever shows, as does his wife, a professor of film studies. Imagine having one of those jobs and your spouse having the other - spoilt bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He's one of the few critics I take half seriously. On newsnight his opinions are more informed and reflective as opposed to being prejudiced and snooty which is the preserve of a lot of critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Mark Kermode is the kind of critic people who know nothing about cinema think is good.

Try David Thomson or Maitland Mcdonagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Mark Kermode is the kind of critic people who know nothing about cinema think is good.

Try David Thomson or Maitland Mcdonald
    If, by "know nothing about cinema" you mean "don't study cinema full-time", then you may have a point - otherwise you're needlessly insulting 2/3 of the people who have posted in this thread. You could say the same about Roger Ebert, who sometimes teaches film criticism (as Kermode does), yet still tries to speak to the non-cineastes out there.

Besides: if you're referring to the David Thomson who ranks Blue Velvet alongside Citizen Kane, and who wrote that creepy book about Nicole Kidman, then you're quite welcome to him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, Kermode would probably rank Blue Velvet alongside Citizen Kane. He loves that film, although when it was released, he hated it. I would rank Blue Velvet alongside Citizen Kane...
    Maitland Mcdonald
    It's McDonagh. I normally wouldn't do that kind of thing but your comment was seriously unwarranted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dudess wrote: »
    Very similar style, hair colour and interest in rockabilly/skiffle as another Mark who works for the Beeb - Lamarr.

Anyway, yeah I like Kermode. Before he became a regular contributor on BBC, he did mostly print reviews and he presented one-off documentaries, such as ones on The Exorcist, The Wickerman, Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange. He also regularly contributes to those top 100 whatever shows, as does his wife, a professor of film studies. Imagine having one of those jobs and your spouse having the other - spoilt bastards!

He was one of the reasons why the Exorcist got a re-release.

I don't think I dislike any movie as much as he seems to dislike POTC3

Pigman II wrote: »

I don't think I dislike any movie as much as he seems to dislike POTC3

He does seem to hate all three films in the franchise. Got to love Simon Mayo's reaction. Figure he's sat through Kermode's PotC speech before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Been watching some of his reviews on YouTube and haven't disagreed with him yet tbh :)

He's obviously a bit over-opinionated, but that just works well on TV/Radio.

...haven't seen Pirates3, but the second one was certainly a load of crap (first one I enjoyed) and 'Orlando Bland' sums up my thoughts on that eejit perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

I listen, cause he entertains me. But I have serious issue with his review of films for kids. He reviews them as a parent. I wouldn't have expected that to be his demographic; but than I guess its the bbc...

Plus he takes too many holidays; i was eagerly waiting for his Sex and the City rantview - instead i had to deal with Andrew Collins...

Not good enough.

Advertisement