04-02-2007, 10:35   #1
pro_gnostic_8

Sale of The Bodega

How many more millions does this one man need?

I'm talking about Owen O'Callaghan who (reported in Friday's papers) has bought the Bodega for @7 million. The plan is to tear it down and built apartments/retail space on the site.

Now, love or loath the Bodega, it was a popular watering hole. And a building of historical interest and architecturally pleasing on the eye. Now to be replaced by some drab Stalin-era-style shopping centre/flats. The Coal Quay area is, as you know, one of the oldest parts of Cork. And the soul of this city is being ripped out by these "developers". They take it all and give nothing back except apartment blocks.

Last year, Owen O'Callaghan bought another fine old Cork pub in a neighbouring street (The Grand Circle) and promptly closed it down to build on the site. Last month he seized back from Triskel Gallery ( a non-profit arts organisation) the exhibition hall on Lavitts Quay in order to lease it out as a retail outlet. Many more examples, but these three are just 2 minutes walk from each other.

God help us from these property deveopers!
Advertisement
04-02-2007, 12:44   #2
dudara
Administrator

And yet no one is willing to buy the Coal Quay bar and tear it down!
04-02-2007, 19:33   #3
opus

Coincidentally I read on archiseek.com that he had bought the Coal Quay bar as well, no idea if that's true or not. I doubt there would be permission to demolish those buildings though?
05-02-2007, 09:27   #4
pro_gnostic_8

A very interesting forum (archiseek) Opus -- one that I had not previously been aware of. Well worth bookmarking, thank you for that.

Yeah, on reflection I'm beginning to believe that a restriction order will be enforced to protect the fine old limestone exterior of the Bodega. Though I take a naturally cynical view of the integrity of the planning permission laws at local Government level , I think a complete "knock-down" of the building would be too hard to stomach by even the most phillistine of politicians. I hope so, anyway, in this case!

Even so, I regret the passing of another landmark pub in Cork City ......... they are becoming a near extinct species.
05-02-2007, 09:39   #5
kmick

Recommend

This is slightly off topic but I was born and bred in Cork but am now living in Dublin for about 7 years. Everytime I go back I find the choice of bars and nightclubs atrocious. The ones I know are reasonable are
The Brog
The Bodega
Sin E
Apart from that there are no good clubs at all that I can see.
Any recomendations?

As for my opinion on developers Im kinda in two minds. If it was not for developers/entrepeneurs the Bodega would never have existed in the first place. Secondly it has gone downhill lately although it is still a reasonable pub. On the other hand they should not have a free hand. However like all things in ireland it is only the decent honest people who ever get in trouble with planning permission. Most developers seem to flout the law and never get bothered. This is exasperated by the fact that the companies that build open and close yearly. The open, build a complex, sell the management to a management company and close down.

So anyway Cork wheres the buzz - I need to know so i can reacquaint myself with the real capital. PS I am over 30 so I dont want any teenybopper paradise suggestions.
Advertisement
05-02-2007, 10:00   #6
Owen

Well, The Crane Lane is fast becoming my new spot, very different indeed! I also like The Classic, Suas, and that new spot where Pi Restaurant was across from the Courthouse.
05-02-2007, 10:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_gnostic_8
How many more millions does this one man need?

I'm talking about Owen O'Callaghan who (reported in Friday's papers) has bought the Bodega for @7 million. The plan is to tear it down and built apartments/retail space on the site.

Now, love or loath the Bodega, it was a popular watering hole. And a building of historical interest and architecturally pleasing on the eye. Now to be replaced by some drab Stalin-era-style shopping centre/flats. The Coal Quay area is, as you know, one of the oldest parts of Cork. And the soul of this city is being ripped out by these "developers". They take it all and give nothing back except apartment blocks.

Last year, Owen O'Callaghan bought another fine old Cork pub in a neighbouring street (The Grand Circle) and promptly closed it down to build on the site. Last month he seized back from Triskel Gallery ( a non-profit arts organisation) the exhibition hall on Lavitts Quay in order to lease it out as a retail outlet. Many more examples, but these three are just 2 minutes walk from each other.

God help us from these property deveopers!

I've no opinion either way on the man (owen O'callaghan), but it should be pointed out:

(a) There has been absolutely no mention anywhere other than the above the post that the "plan is to tear it down and built apartments/retail space on the site". As far as I'm aware, the building will be left as is and see a single large retail installed.

(b) "the soul of this city is being ripped out by these "developers". - do you remember cornmarket street 4/5 years ago? It was far worse than it is now. Finaly we've got some development on the eastern side (Guys) and the space to the west could do with being utilised more effectively. For one, having that large furniture warehouse there is just a waste of space. Whatever your feeling on loosing a well-liked pub, it would never have been there in the first place if "developers" hadn't converted the former market.

(c)Finally, the debate about the Triskel is laughable. OCP gave the use of
space free of charge for a year. Do you have any idea how much money could have been made by not doing this? You may wiew it as "seizing", but I'm sure the people at Triskel would be more than complimentary about the help they got from OCP.

Oh, and what are those "many more examples"?

Look, he's a business man, and a good one at that. But he hasn't sprouted horns and cloven feet yet! Try to retain some sense of perspective.
05-02-2007, 12:25   #8
Judes

I'm back in Cork 7 years now having returned from London. Yes, the current development taking place is exciting and necessary - but at the same time, what the hell is happening to CORK. We're in danger of turning into another big city without soul or personality!

I love the Bodega, it's a nice place to meet my friends for weekend brunch and I've been doing it for years, so I was really cheesed off to read it was closing down, only a few months ago they were promoting their new Tapas range. Why can't O'Callaghan's leave the premises as a bar/restaurant.

I'm working in the city centre and in the past 6 months - several pubs/small shops that were near my place of work have shut down - so trying to grab a sandwich/choc bar nearby is becoming more and more of a trek. And as handy as the likes of Centra/Spar shops are - I miss little shops with familiar faces that greet you with a smile - because they know who you are and you can have a chat whilst you're waiting. The one thing I'm dreading is the first sight of a Starbucks in Cork - as they seem to have taken over the world. I noticed this happening in the UK about 10 years ago, you'd go away for a weekend and no matter what part of the country you went to - every main street looked the same. And it's already started happening here.

These Developers are turning my friends and I off planning social events in the city - and more brunches/lunches/dinners are being planned in friends homes, or more rural areas.

As for the Bodega - R.I.P. I'm going to miss it.
05-02-2007, 13:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara
And yet no one is willing to buy the Coal Quay bar and tear it down!
hahaha brilliant that place is dodgey.ya its a pity the bodega is going twas a good laugh if you got a big enough crowd to go.good breakfasts.
Advertisement
05-02-2007, 13:19   #10

oh and judes ther already is a starbucks in cork sorry to disappoint you its in the new airport terminal watch out there will be one in the city soon
05-02-2007, 16:07   #11
Judes

Yeah I know it's at the Airport - I tried to ignore its existence - I put it down to the Airport being an International Zone - that place doesn't feel like it's anything to do with Cork either, hence Starbucks can stay there. But who cares about them, I'm still trying to recover from the news that our Bodega is leaving us - sob sob!
06-02-2007, 12:04   #12
radiospan

Anyone know if the Bodega will be open this Friday? I heard the workers are being let go around this weekend.
06-02-2007, 19:17   #13
deRanged

according to this evenings Echo TKMaxx are interested in the site.
06-02-2007, 19:30   #14
Raskolnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judes
The one thing I'm dreading is the first sight of a Starbucks in Cork - as they seem to have taken over the world.
I would certainly welcome it. Hopefully it would drive that awful server of vile dishwater, Gloria Jeans, out of business.
07-02-2007, 01:21   #15

Grrr. I liked that place.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion