Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Darts Tournament - Suggestions

Options
  • 16-01-2007 12:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a great idea if we could get a Boards.ie Darts tournament up and running some time soon. I think there could be quite alot of interest from people in this as no matter what age, sex or physical fitness level you are at, you are perfectly capable of playing darts :D

First of all, I think the most important thing to mention is that it will be in no way a serious tournament, it will simply be a day of fun for all darts fans and enthusiasts alike. This means that no matter what standard you are, whether you average 100 or 10, everyone is welcome to enter the tournament. It will be a chance for us to have a day playing darts and also do what darts players do best, drink a pint or two :D

This thread is for people to give suggestions and feedback about the tournament such as possible venues, where to have it, prizes etc. Personally i think the best way to fund a tournament like this would be for people to pay an entrance fee, nothing expensive of course, maybe 10e or possibly less depending on the amount of interest that we have in this. The entrance fee can be given out as prize money which we can decide in advance. Thats just a suggestion, if someone has a better idea then feel free to suggest away. There is of course the possibility of a pub giving some funding towards a tournament if we promise to drink a few of their pints but this will have to be looked into.

I think the venue might be the hardest to agree on because obviously people are from different parts of the country. The best way to do this is for people to suggest where they would like the tournament played and the place that is suggested the most will be picked. Obviously im going to throw somewhere in Dublin into the hat because thats where im from.

This thread is just an initial thread to guage interest levels for this event. Please post here if you have any interest in taking part in a tournament and feel free to offer suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Great idea Kingp35 :)

Count me in anyway.

€10 sounds ok to me. I'm not familiar with many pubs that have dartboards though I've been told there's one in Tallaght village.

Could the format be like a Round Robin or a League to start with so everyone gets a few games for their money? If it was a straight knockout then half the players are gone after the first round.

I expect Talliesin will be signing up any moment now....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great idea Kingp35 :)
    Could the format be like a Round Robin or a League to start with so everyone gets a few games for their money? If it was a straight knockout then half the players are gone after the first round.

I think Round Robin would certainly be the best way to do it because this will guarantee everybody a number of games for their money. It would be very unfair for someone to pay €10 and only get to play one match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Would be interesting, will get my arse kicked unless I drag my average back up, averaging in or around 70 a lot these days and cant seem to get it up. I know a good pub here in roscommon that is conveniently located 4 minutes from my door ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well a 70 avg would whup me!

I'll express my interest. I'm in North Dublin. I'd be a good first round draw, if I turn up! Would be good fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pgough

I play with 5 pals in Southside Dublin and we would all be on if it could be arranged for a saturday. Any venue within reason would be fine, as long as we can have a pint.

All of us are around the 30 dart checkout standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah that would be great Pgough. The more people we have then the better it will be. I would imagine that a Saturday will be the day chosen due to most people not having to work that day.

hopefully if people keep showing interest like this then we will have a decent tournament on our hands. Oh and dont worry, whatever venue we have it in will certainly sell pints! :D

Pgough wrote:
    I play with 5 pals in Southside Dublin and we would all be on if it could be arranged for a saturday. Any venue within reason would be fine, as long as we can have a pint.

All of us are around the 30 dart checkout standard.

Just wondering - where do you usually play your darts?

Hi Cartoon Head

We play once a week in one of our houses. We play 501, winner holds the board and finish the night with a game of Shanghi. We have been playing now for about a year and a half.

I don't know any pubs near Clonskeagh, Mount Merrion or Stillorgan that you can play darts in, and we can walk to each others houses.

You might find a board in a pub down in Dun Laoghaire - not sure which pub though!

Have a look at this thread: http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860256

There's mention of someone playing in The Gallops in Leopardstown and also a Dun Laoghaire Borough darts League

Thanks Cartoon Head
    I will check them out. By the way what is the average number of darts to checkout in league matches?

I will keep an eye on this thread to see if the tournament goes ahead.

• Advertisement

Pgough wrote:
    By the way what is the average number of darts to checkout in league matches?

Kingp35 might know that but I'm going to try to see how I do tonight against your 30 dart check out when I get home :)

Kingp35 might know that but I'm going to try to see how I do tonight against your 30 dart check out when I get home :)

Standard is pretty high in League matches, especially on Monday nights. Its rare you would get a leg lasting 30 darts thats for sure.

Of course the Boards.ie tournament will be no where near League standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Sounds like a good idea to me.Round robin would be the best way to go everybody gets a few games for their money.The venue is going to be hard to decide on,everyone is gonna have their preferred choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Easy Money.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Easy Money.

No chance :D

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Easy Money.

He might be right judging by my practice session last night. I could just end up posting you a tenner to save the humiliation :)

Nah, I just need more practice and that other thing, what's it called again? Natural ability...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I expect Talliesin will be signing up any moment now....
    I might, but given that my level of playing is best described as "hey, well done Talliesin, one of the darts hit the board that time" I probably won't, so I'm not in when it comes to estimating your numbers.

You could arrange the tournament so that after the first round all winners play each other and all the losers play each other in the second round. In the third round all that are unbeaten play each other next and also all that have not won play each other. This means that if you are losing you play the other losers and if you are winning you play the other winners. Each round is seeded depending on the results of the previous rounds. All the players end up playing someone of their own ability and it ends with only one loser and one winner. Maybe a prize for each!

pgough - That sounds like a great format, at least for the first time we play.

So Kingp35, any thoughts on when and where we might do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

is there anywhere central dublin? that could be used?

• Advertisement

Well as for where, I think it will in a venue in Dublin. The majority of people that have posted on this thread are from Dublin so it would make sense to have it in Dublin. I think the best day to have it would be a Saturday. Most people wont have to work on a Saturday and if players are travelling from outside Dublin then a Saturday would be best for them too. They have the option to stay over if they want.

As for the venue, well I would like people to suggest possible pubs for us to have it in. It would be great if the pub had two boards but its bot a necessity, I know that most pubs dont. The venue should be as convenient as possible for all players. Maybe some of the guys who play in the Darts league can suggest a good pub.

I can play any saturday really. It all depends on deciding the venue first and then talking to the pub to see when suits them.

If anyone has any preferences then let us all know.

Ok, I had a look through the 'Dublin darts scene' thread on page 4 and from that I came up with this list of darts pubs. I don't really know any of them so I'm not going to comment on which I would like but it's a start anyway. Feel free to suggest others not on the list:

Farrells, New Street
    Harold’s cross area, McKenna’s and The Lantern
    The Horse and Jocky
    The City Arms
    Aer Lingus ,Aalsa Club
    County Bar Lucan
    Kelly's on the bridge , Inchicore
    Cardiff Inn ,Finglas
    City Arms Prussia Street
    Campions Balgriffin
    Gleesons Finglas
    Brewary Bar ,Behind James Gate
    Ruby Finnigans Ballyfermot
    Salmons ,Blanchardstown
    St. Finbarrs GAA,Cabra
    St Perrigans GAA ,Blanchardstown
    Taveys Church Street
    Shanty Mulhuddart
    Market Bar ,Little Mary Street
    Gleesons (bottom of the hill) Finglas
    Bridge Tavern Summerhill
    St. Finbarrs Cabra
    Artane Recreation Centre
    Saints and Sinners North King Street
    Joxer Dalys Dorset Street
    Malt House ,James Street
    Towers Ballymun
    Patriots Inchicore /kilmainham
    Roundabout Artane
    A.F.L coolock
    Raheny GAA
    Brookwood Inn Blanchardstown
    Cardiff Inn Finglas
    the Gallops Pub in Leopardstown

Thats some good work Cartoon_Head.

The Gallops Pub in Leopardstown is a nice pub and it isnt too difficult to get to as the Luas goes out to it.

Others feel free to suggest some pubs that they would like.

The Gallops seems to be on Ballyogan road which is a good distance from where the Luas ends in Sandyford. I checked the Dublin Bus website and service is almost non-existant as far as I can see! It's a shame because it would be a good spot. If you do know of any good way to get there via public transport please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

I play in the Silver Tassie near Loughlinstown Hospital and know the manager well.If their was enough people he'd open the function room for us and put up a few boards.He probaly put on some food and some spot prizes.
    Its just off the M50 and on the N11.Throw it in the hat anyway and see what you think.

I know the Tassie well and its a good spot. Its just down from Cherrywood and there is a good Bus route from town that takes about an hour or so to it because obviously players wouldnt want to drive out. The only thing I would say about it is that its perfect for the likes of me but its not very central for others. Its a good option though. Lets see what the people that live slightly further away think about it.

Also if DFD could get the function room for us then that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'd be willing to travel all the way out to the Tassie.

I'd be up for the Tassie so count me in.

Silver Tassie suits me fine. It would be a big advantage to have more than one board.

Any saturday except Feb 3 and 17 as I will be away those days.

Rosco1982 you can get a taxi home with your winnings :)

• Advertisement

Looks like the Silver Tassie could be the venue.

Now all we have to do is get the required numbers to have a good tournament.

Advertisement