Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2006, 11:12   #1
MetL

Send a message via Skype™ to MetL
O2 Ireland XDA Exec questions: MP3s, software/skype, vs Palm Pilot

Has anyone got the XDA Exec yet?

I want to know if it is limited or altered by O2 Ireland in any significant way, (apart from being sim locked onto O2 network), for example, can I play any MP3s, can I install any software (e.g. Skype)? I'm curious to what extent O2 modify the installed software/firmware on a device like this.

I've asked in O2 shops and the sales people didn't seem too sure. I've sent an email to O2 but I want to hear consumer's side also.

Related question...
(This is a pretty subjective question I didn't post to O2.)

I'm thinking of getting this phone to replace my old Palm PDA. Have any serious PDA users switched to XDA or Windows Mobile and how did they find it?

The XDA Exec is very expensive, I'm trying to find out if it is worth it.
Advertisement
16-07-2006, 12:49   #2

skype - i have skype for pocket pc (xda 2) installed and it works fine. But i warn you - the gprs costs are massive. So better to attach via wireless com son the xda exec.

it has windows media player so plays most mp3 although it wont play a certain type of music file such as mp4 i believe - i will need to check that.

Last edited by xda27; 16-07-2006 at 12:51.
16-07-2006, 13:34   #3
MetL

Thanks!

Yes - Skype I will only use on WiFi (home and office mostly).

I'm not too concerned about various types of MP3s, more about whether O2 prevent the phone from playing MP3s from any source. I.e. Whether the phone would be blocked by O2 (somehow) from playing MP3 I got from my CDs as opposed to music downloaded from O2.

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid?
(But I've been reading Digital Rights Ireland and that would make anyone paranoid... )
16-07-2006, 14:17   #4
skearon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetL
Has anyone got the XDA Exec yet?

I want to know if it is limited or altered by O2 Ireland in any significant way, (apart from being sim locked onto O2 network), for example, can I play any MP3s, can I install any software (e.g. Skype)? I'm curious to what extent O2 modify the installed software/firmware on a device like this.

I've asked in O2 shops and the sales people didn't seem too sure. I've sent an email to O2 but I want to hear consumer's side also.

Related question...
(This is a pretty subjective question I didn't post to O2.)

I'm thinking of getting this phone to replace my old Palm PDA. Have any serious PDA users switched to XDA or Windows Mobile and how did they find it?

The XDA Exec is very expensive, I'm trying to find out if it is worth it.

I've had an iMate Jasjar (aka XDA EXEC) for about a year now, I inititally used it as my main phone for a short time, but to me honest found it too bulky, even with a blue tooth lcd headset.

However it is really excellent as a mobile data device, I purchased one of the excellent Brodit powered car mounts and use it for push email from exchange, web browsing and remote desktop connection to clients' servers.

I'm on Vodafone so the new €40.50 per month unlimited (well 5gb cap) tarrif is great for me.

A friend recently got an XDA Exec from O2 and found that it was not SIM locked, even if yours is, it is easy to unlock them.

When first booting up the Exec if you select Corporate mode it doesn't install most of the extra O2 stuff

Finally it is also very easy to reflash it with one of roms from the unbranded manufacturers such as iMate or QTEK

www.xda-developers.com is a great resource for this device, check under the "Universal" forums.

Hope some of the above helps you.

Rgds

Stephen
16-07-2006, 16:56   #5
MetL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skearon
[...] www.xda-developers.com is a great resource for this device, check under the "Universal" forums.

Hope some of the above helps you.
Thanks! Incredibly helpful, in fact I think based on your reply, and what I can see on that web page, I'm going to go ahead and buy it. Now I just have to find an O2 store that still has them in stock.

Being a long term Palm user (PSION before that) I can live with bulky. The only requirement I have left unanswered at this point is whether I can sit down with it in the front pocket of my jeans without injuring myself! (I guess I'll try that out in the shop.)
Advertisement
17-07-2006, 23:53   #6
silverski

Greetings,

I have my XDA Exec about a week now, Find it great.
Good for MP3
Great for Videos.
It feels lighter than My XDAIIi
The camera is much better.

If you want to use the video phone you will need to be supplied with a new SIM card from O2.
I am not sure when it will be available in the O2 retail shops.

My olnly complaint so far is that there are no accessories avail in Ireland.
and also that there areno S/W updates avail on the O2.ie web site, but are on the O2.co.uk site.

And Skype works great, but as said by others only use with a WiFi connection,

It also works great with SAT Nav.

Regards
Silverski
18-07-2006, 01:37   #7
Sparky
Administrator

Admin: ZTest
How much did you pay for your exec?
Im a business customer and I am thinking of getting one of these in a few weeks, maybe even a month from now.
19-07-2006, 20:42   #8
MetL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-s
How much did you pay for your exec?
Im a business customer and I am thinking of getting one of these in a few weeks, maybe even a month from now.
Maybe your question was for silverski, but I've been shopping around, so I thought what I found might interest you.

O2, 12 month contract, XDA Exec, verbal quote in O2 store:
Active Life 250 (€50 per month) - €479
Active Life 150 (€35 per month) - €579
Active Life 40 (€20 per month) - €629
Maybe even cheaper with higher level usage, I didn't ask (I'm not a heavy user.)

I tried a couple of other places, and they either matched O2 price (and wouldn't budge), or told me that XDA is O2 exclusive(?).

The phone is actually a "HTC Universal" but sold as O2 XDA Exec, Qtek 9000, i-Mate JasJar , etc. so I went looking on eBay!

One (non-dodgy) seller in the UK seems to have got about £400 / €600 each for the unlocked ones (I saw about five units sold). I don't think it is worth the hassle and will probably just get one in an O2 shop.

...but having researched more than I should have, I'm thinking of waiting for this one: HTC Hermes - I think also known as: O2 XDA Trion, QTek9600/HTC TyTN, i-Mate JasJam(JamJar?), etc.
See http://www.gsmarena.com/o2_xda_trion-1572.php
19-07-2006, 21:57   #9

@MetL
You can generally unlock the XDAs pretty easily. Try www.xda-developers.com before you spring extra cash on an unlocked ebay one
Advertisement
19-07-2006, 22:18   #10
Gillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverski
My olnly complaint so far is that there are no accessories avail in Ireland.
and also that there areno S/W updates avail on the O2.ie web site, but are on the O2.co.uk site.
It's possible that since the exec has been out in the UK there are older software versions there, since teh Exec has only been launched in Ireland the updates are incorporated into the unit's been sold here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverski
...but having researched more than I should have, I'm thinking of waiting for this one: HTC Hermes - I think also known as: O2 XDA Trion, QTek9600/HTC TyTN, i-Mate JasJam(JamJar?), etc.
Yes, looks nice alright, but you could wait for this to come out and then once it's launched you'll see something else. Technology it's a vicious circle...
19-07-2006, 23:48   #11

Just a couple of things to point out.

The XDA Exec as branded by O2 is slightly different to the standard model - HTC universal. Apart from the black shell it's also got a funky blue keyboard backlight. The others QTek, iMate, T-Mobile, Vodafone and Orange versions all have silver/matt shells with a red keyboard backlight.

There are no internal differences to the devices sold here and the ones in the UK. The operational differences are in the software versions. As mentioned already there are various carriers and hence, various software ROMS that you can load on the Exec. You will need to CID unlock before switching to a rom from a different carrier. This is not the same as SIM unlock, which is actually not required on the O2 XDA range - they are all unlocked.

Lastly, the Hermes is brand new and it's considerably different to the Exec. The exec has a VGA screen and a 520Mhz intel x-scale processor. The hermes has a QVGA screen and a 400Mhz stacked Samsung processor.

The Hermes is the successor to the Wizard (o2 Mini-S) there is no successor to the Exec announced yet, and the Exec is almost one full year old. It's been on general release in the UK since last October.

Hermes will be generally available in late August/September with some online stores receiving stock end of July. It's already available via O2 in Germany and Dophod in Aisa, but the keyboard mappings are different (qwertz) so it would be better to wait a while.

Getting the Exec from the UK would be less expensive than buying it here.

Cheerio
Howard

[Edit - Hermes doesn't have dual core TI, it's a stacked Samsung]
PS. Note there are two incarnations of the Hermes/TyTN so far. The O2 one using different styling and provides two extra buttons to the left/right of the d-pad.

Last edited by hshortt; 21-07-2006 at 15:40.
19-07-2006, 23:55   #12

What he said.... just one other thing with those xda/s 2 and i etc etc . if the battery goes dead on them you lose all your information on it.... now its easy to sync again with your pc and get your mails an adresses etc but any wallpapers , photos letters ,, text messages ... gone...dont know is the new one improved on this be interested to know.. (doubt it)
20-07-2006, 12:35   #13

A question for the guys running skype...

I just bought a new xda mini s yesterday. All is good. Bought a new motorola bluetooth headset that is working fine.
But it doesnt seem to work with skype? Like my skype calls are coming through the xdas speaker and mic.
Is this normal, or do I have to change a setting somewhere or something?
20-07-2006, 14:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieM
What he said.... just one other thing with those xda/s 2 and i etc etc . if the battery goes dead on them you lose all your information on it.... now its easy to sync again with your pc and get your mails an adresses etc but any wallpapers , photos letters ,, text messages ... gone...dont know is the new one improved on this be interested to know.. (doubt it)
There's a operating system software revision betwee the XDA2/s/i and the newer exec/mini-s. The new ones use Windows Mobile 5 which brings the addition of peristent storage meaning you don't lose information if the battery dies.

Cheerio
Howard
20-07-2006, 21:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshortt
There's a operating system software revision betwee the XDA2/s/i and the newer exec/mini-s. The new ones use Windows Mobile 5 which brings the addition of peristent storage meaning you don't lose information if the battery dies.

Cheerio
Howard
great might trade up...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion