Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-09-2004, 00:17   #1
Crash
Feel the magic!

Matt-the-Jap (or Matteo Matubara if you dont like the nickname)

So what is the story? i've heard about the guy from friends of mine in trinity for ages - the guy intrigues me beyong belief. So what are the rumours/facts about his continued presence in trinity, and what do you think of it all?
Advertisement
17-09-2004, 00:19   #2
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

i heard he's batman...
17-09-2004, 00:49   #3
gom

I'll dig up some the photos from the photo shoot that I did with Matteo last year for TN. I have them hand on a CD but won't be able to get to them till next week probably... He knows how to pose let me tell ya
17-09-2004, 00:53   #4
gom

Matt-the-jap is the last of the Samurai

After WW2 he could not return to Japan as he must live the life of a hermit forever more as his dishonour to his country forbids anything more
17-09-2004, 00:54   #5
dermot_sheehan

He's a friendly old guy who hangs around the arts building. He's one of the college's "characters". He's mute, but apparently lots of people communicate with him in sign language.
Advertisement
17-09-2004, 01:02   #6
gom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabhain7
He's a friendly old guy who hangs around the arts building. He's one of the college's "characters". He's mute, but apparently lots of people communicate with him in sign language.
He is also deaf but can lip read alittle
17-09-2004, 01:14   #7
Crash
Feel the magic!

From what i've heard over the years the latest barring was due to use of the big stick towards people in the arts block correct? and before that there was something bout nicking books from the berkeley via throwing them out the window?
17-09-2004, 01:42   #8
ApeXaviour

I dunno about that crash. He's well known and respected by staff and students alike. A while back he collapsed out on grafton st I think and the president wrote him a get well letter. Always has newspapers on him, seems very well read.

The rumour I heard was that he was a student here years ago, but he burned some original scripts or documents or something and was expelled. He's wandered campus ever since.. Anyone know if this holds any truth or is it a pure lie?

Quote:
After WW2 he could not return to Japan as he must live the life of a hermit forever more as his dishonour to his country forbids anything more
Did you make that up? Since WW2 the americanisation of japan has long since dissolved any sense of radical nationalism they held.
17-09-2004, 01:42   #9
John

I've known him to be a bit aggressive (been on the receiving end for being in the queue in front of him in the JCR) but the guy is grand, I've never seen him being violent, just a lot of angry gestures. An awful lot of rumours about him flying about. Certainly deserves the position of college character, I'm glad he's allowed on campus again.
Advertisement
17-09-2004, 01:53   #10
blobert

There are a great many stories about this guy, most of which are absolute rubbish.

From my own experience he is simply a deeply unpleasant old man.
17-09-2004, 02:02   #11
Crash
Feel the magic!

Well the first barring i mentioned there i picked up from a trinity news copy i got free at the open day (was quite an interesting read, if i can find it i might type it up here) so i assume he actually was barred.
17-09-2004, 10:15   #12
Kappar

I seen him last year in Freshers' week at some place that was giving out FREE Crisps as you can imagine there were hords of scaldy students around trying to get the crisps and he was at the back trying to push in.
17-09-2004, 12:27   #13
Chick

is this really a real person? honestly
17-09-2004, 12:33   #14
Dónal
Gravity is a harsh mistress

He's our very own yoda!
17-09-2004, 12:41   #15
Kappar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggerChick
is this really a real person? honestly
He is indeed, wanders around the campus you'll see him and you're heart'll melt.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion