Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey Minister for Health

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It would be fantastic as minister of health. He could generally call it as he sees it and would call a spade a spade. What the only other alternative on offer , another yes man ?!

We get what we deserve here , when after decades of failure. The electorate still buy that moron a, will do a better job than moron b

He wouldn’t have the experience or even know what the job entailed.
    He’d have to bring in even more advisers and so-called ‘experts’ thus adding to the existing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He’d have to bring in even more advisers and so-called ‘experts’ thus adding to the existing problems.

I CANt face any of the morons telling me health etc will improve. Decades in politics two booms , outrageous money thrown at it and it’s a disgrace! I won’t answer the door to any of them , as I don’t find morons , lying to my face , palatable

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Don't worry, if he gets to close to actually winning I'm sure RTE will stitch him up to appease their establishment politicians. Good form on that.

To think if they hadnt have made up that outrageous lie we could have had president gallagher followed by president casey as ive no doubt casey would have beaten gallagher. Imagine how much better off we would all be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The article doesn't list any health policies Casey holds but only hints at a "local hospital for Donegal" position.

This is the sort of parochial nonsense that has the health service on its knees. The idea that every rural town should have a full-service hospital (and University, motorway and international airport, with post offices in all of its surrounding villages and fibre broadband to every one-off home in its hinterland) when it can't be afforded and as it is you have doctors in rural hospitals facing a fraction of the workload they'd have in an urban one.

Anyway Donegal has access to the excellent new hospital in Enniskillen.

Anyone expecting greater efficiency from the HSE under Casey as Minister for Health is kidding themselves. His position seems to be classic "he fixed the road" Tull McAdoo school of politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So as articulate as Ahern then

Shining example of a Taoiseach him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Peter Casey on niall boylan show now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

can you summarise what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Omackeral wrote: »
    He’s never lived in Spain afaik

Peter is so great he should run for election in Spain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

To think if they hadnt have made up that outrageous lie we could have had president gallagher followed by president casey as ive no doubt casey would have beaten gallagher. Imagine how much better off we would all be.

We'd be the exact same

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can you summarise what he said?

Didn't hear it. . Was in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Peter is so great he should run for election in Spain too.

Or run in the general direction of Spain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

High brow stuff I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

How many of these ego's have run for office now...the top job, straight off the bat?

The electorate have said a resounding, 'nah, we're out'

Still butt hurt that he beat the shinner into third place. :D
    Why would a business person put the tax payer first? The business model is about profit not good service and value for money.
    Business people are the last people should be allowed near services.

Yeah better to have teachers, journalists, solicitors and the odd doctor.

Yes services shouldn't always be about profit, but neither should they be about pi**ing money away, giving jobs for the boys/girls and never finding anyone responsible for cockups.
    The NCH was a private company asked to build it. The over runs wasnt because of public servants but government with eye off the ball and private business doing what it does, making money.
    Privatising with our shower of politicians would be a disaster. 'Loadsamoney' councillors and I guess uncle Dinny will set up a medical company if FG are in at the time.
    We need fix the HSE not hand it over to private profiteers.
    The long waiting lists have something to do with consultants shilling for their private clinics.

Fix the HSE. :eek:
    You are having a laugh.

It can't be fixed once you cowtow to all the vested interests, who are primarily interested in feathering their own nests and not delivering services to the end user i.e. the patient.
    No minister or government want to take on the pampered consultants, the nursing organisation and definitely not the administration unions.

And don't give us that shyte that the debacle of the children's hospital is down to private sector.
    The politicians, the civil servants and the public sector consultants and professors are the reason it has been a fooking joke moving from one inaccessible site to the next.

Remind us again who are or have been on the new hospital board ?
    We have the former head of another state body, the National Roads Authority.
    We had academic, former head of NUIG, you know the guy that took taxis from Galway to Dublin.
    An ex secretary general from Dept of Education.

Now they change it every so often when the stink gets too much.

And please remind us again who has final say on the budget.

Thye wouldn't be digging massive holes in the first place if it sited somewhere proper, but no it had to be put where a major teaching hospital and university were already located lest some major consultants were inconvenienced.

BTW I don't agree with privatisation of health care but claiming the HSE can be fixed is up there with some right fairytales.

As opposed to all the ones that have been in Dept of health already. :rolleyes:

BTW I don't think he would be capable of being a minister, but it isn't because he is so much worse that most of the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

No thanks. Were he minster for health he would sell it to the Trump family, prices would skyrocket and we'd be told its all fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jmayo wrote: »
    Still butt hurt that he beat the shinner into third place. :D

The 'shinner' candidate I thought was the wrong one to run against the man I voted for and supported on here?

Still trying to get square pegs into round holes I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The NCH was a private company asked to build it. The over runs wasnt because of public servants but government with eye off the ball and private business doing what it does, making money.
    Privatising with our shower of politicians would be a disaster. 'Loadsamoney' councillors and I guess uncle Dinny will set up a medical company if FG are in at the time.
    We need fix the HSE not hand it over to private profiteers.
    The long waiting lists have something to do with consultants shilling for their private clinics.

Your really haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And Martin , Harris do?

I don't want him near it but almost all ministers don't have the experience to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No thanks. Were he minster for health he would sell it to the Trump family, prices would skyrocket and we'd be told its all fake news.

Is there even one example in history of a moderate right wing leader selling off their countries health service to a fully private model and it becoming unaffordable. This is the biggest bogeyman argument in european politics, there is no suggestion of it ever happening anywhere but its the no.1 thing brought up as a reason not to 'vote right'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

jmayo wrote: »
    Fix the HSE. :eek:
    You are having a laugh.

It can't be fixed once you cowtow to all the vested interests, who are primarily interested in feathering their own nests and not delivering services to the end user i.e. the patient.
    No minister or government want to take on the pampered consultants, the nursing organisation and definitely not the administration unions.

BTW I don't agree with privatisation of health care but claiming the HSE can be fixed is up there with some right fairytales.

Why cowtow at all? A government can do what ever it likes to change what ever it likes. Sometimes they need go to the people. The vested interests are politicians more concerned about themselves.
    Of course it can be fixed.

As for the NCH, I agree government and their assignee's took their eye off the ball, if it were ever on it. Magic money tree? Do you know of a private business that ever said, 'Hey, that's too much money, you're spending a fortune!'?

Your really haven't a clue

Can you show me where I err'd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Can people honestly not see that this man is in the early stages of dementia?

I say this as someone who works in a nursing home and I'm deadly serious, not just slagging him off.

I've no problem with some of his views, he hasn't told lies but he doesn't have a coherent point to make or indeed a policy to speak of.

The fact that he thinks he can run against Leo says it all. That's just absolute nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why cowtow at all? A government can do what ever it likes to change what ever it likes...

But do they ever? They all kow tow to powerful interest groups. The one thing that would fix the health service pronto would be to ban private health insurance for all government ministers, senior civil servants, hospital consultants, hospital administrators and their families.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    But do they ever? They all kow tow to powerful interest groups. The one thing that would fix the health service pronto would be to ban private health insurance for all government ministers, senior civil servants, hospital consultants, hospital administrators and their families.

That's why we need change. Stop bouncing between waster number 1 and waster number two.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Can people honestly not see that this man is in the early stages of dementia?

I say this as someone who works in a nursing home and I'm deadly serious, not just slagging him off.

I've no problem with some of his views, he hasn't told lies but he doesn't have a coherent point to make or indeed a policy to speak of.

The fact that he thinks he can run against Leo says it all. That's just absolute nuts.

Well he ran against your president and got the second highest vote. Hes a million times more coherent than your present taoiseach as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well he ran against your president and got the second highest vote. Hes a million times more coherent than your present taoiseach as well.

#NotMyPresident
    #NotMyTaoiseach

Ha ha absolute state of that mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why cowtow at all? A government can do what ever it likes to change what ever it likes. Sometimes they need go to the people. The vested interests are politicians more concerned about themselves.
    Of course it can be fixed.

Seriously what age are you because some of your comments are really lacking in knowledge of the way the world works, especially Ireland ?

I reckon you know shag all about the HSE, because if you did you would know that it is not to the advantage of vested interests be they consultant organisations or unions to make the necessary changes to it to fix it's problems.

The HSE was a badly organised bastardised entity from the start.
    Economies of scale were never take on board because for a start it would have meant downsizing administration staff numbers.
    Instead we got unnecessary duplication and increased administration.

We could write a novel on the number of cockups across the health service be it the lack of regulation of nursing homes, lack of regulation of homes for disabled, PPARS, incompetence in placement of children in their care ending up with children with rapists, coverups of unnecessary procedures being carried out by doctors over years resulting in life changing ailments for women, employment of incompetent doctors with dodgy qualifications from foreign countries, substandard testing regimes and the hiding of the negative results which have ended up with unnecessary deaths.
    A hell of a lot of that is down to HSE or it's offshoots.

And not once has someone been fired or had their pension removed for their incompetence or negligence.

What is the nice term?
    Oh yeah a "systemic failure".

Yes the politician are also vested interests and the minute that any proper changes to the HSE are mooted the vested interests within are out making threatening noises that scares the cr** out of all the politicians, both local and national.

Yes a government can do what it likes if it gets enough of it's own parties' members to back it and they have a big enough majority to begin with.
    But the party's rank and file will not back the necessary changes to the HSE.

And as for going to the people that is exactly what can't be done.
    We have such a high proportion of our workforce in this country public servants then there is immediate pressure on politicians if there is any pressure brought to bear on public servants.
    Nearly everyone is either related to an employee of the HSE or damn well knows one personally.
    That is a lot of links to a lot of votes.
    As for the NCH, I agree government and their assignee's took their eye off the ball, if it were ever on it. Magic money tree? Do you know of a private business that ever said, 'Hey, that's too much money, you're spending a fortune!'?

It is up to the project sponsor, the entity paying for the project to shout stop when budget going out the window.
    That should have happened with PPARS and it never did.

And it should have happened with NCH.

But the government, the civil servants and the vested interests in the medical and academic world have gone so far that they are refusing to countenance fact that it was ill planned from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

6 pages of whining and not a single reference to what Casey's actual policy regards health might be?

This thread just a Trump derangement circle jerk full of neurotics on a paranoid flight of fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

banie01 wrote: »
    The Yanks thought that about their Presidency, how's that working out over there?
    Or the French with Macron?

Casey is problematic, but given the constituency he is running in will likely garner a vote.

There is a recurring theme that "business people" can improve government and that by bringing commercial sensibilities and blue sky thinking to a government they will also bring a new broom.

It's all bollox, when has it ever worked?
    Anywhere?
    It is simplistic in the extreme to assume that it could.
    Health doesn't need a maverick who tells like it is.

It needs a minister who will have party support to face down the HSE, and the unions, to gut the current structures and rebuild it as a patient orientated care system.

It doesn't need an independent acting the big I am.

The American economy is flying. So I’d say it’s working out very well for them. You don’t want the Irish economy to go well??

Boggles wrote: »
    You are crying wambulance about politicians being slagged.

Spitting Image must have made you fair irate.

You realise there is a difference between satire and personal abuse??

• Advertisement

And college dropout/never had a job in his life Harris has/had??

Advertisement