Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric heaters in renovated rental property

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Im not seeing much price difference by the time everything is wired.
    The dumb rads seem to be in the 200/300 bracket.

I am.
    The “smart” ones are €600 to €800 +

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What's wrong with a air to air heat pump?

A bit more complex, but overall I think they are great.

2011 wrote: »
    That is just a type of air source heat pump.

See text from link:

“The iQool’s heating is by heat pump and nearly 4 times cheaper than electrical heating and half the price of energy bills for central heating – saves you money and keeps you even warmer!“

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

I've wondered about fitting something like this to give my sitting room a boost as its the last room to heat up.
    With the added benefit of AC for the one day of summer.

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/12000-btu-smart-a-easy-fit-dc-inverter-wall-split-air-conditioner-with-5-meters-pipe-kit-and-5-years-warranty-iqool12

Thats just the first unit that came up in google.

This is the type of unit I got installed a couple of years ago as a replacement for storage heaters - I'm delighted with it. My house is a small 2 bed with an open plan downstairs. This type of system heats the place very well. I kept the panel heaters in the two bedrooms and these give a little bit of top up heating on the coldest days. If you plan to use it as a supplement to a gsor oil central heating system this could work well too.

If you buy one of these units you will need to get somebody qualified to work with refrigerant gases to commission it - factor that into the cost. I bought a Mitsubishi one and the entire cost of the unit plus installation came to about 1600 and took about 4 hours to install. It has great WiFi control too.

What's wrong with a air to air heat pump? You could ceiling mount the conditioners and free up wall space. I'd be very concerned how much it would cost to run.

The less distance you have between the indoor unit and the outdoor unit, the better. So most installers will recommend locating them on either side of your wall. Running ducting around the house increases the installation cost and (I think) decreases the efficiency a bit but is still possible.

Regarding running costs they will be about a quarter the equivalent cost of using electric heaters. It's hard to compare with oil and gas given the variation in boiler efficiencies but I would estimate that their running costs would be approximately half. But that's a rough estimate.

• Advertisement

ercork wrote: »

If you buy one of these units you will need to get somebody qualified to work with refrigerant gases to commission it - factor that into the cost.

Good info,
    Maybe next year.
    The kit I linked to is actually pregassed.
    Its essentially plug and play for a competent person (or so I've been told).
    I would rather a branded one like yourself though.

Good info,
    Maybe next year.
    The kit I linked to is actually pregassed.
    Its essentially plug and play for a competent person (or so I've been told).
    I would rather a branded one like yourself though.

It's amazing how cheap these things are becoming. That should increase the adoption rate over the coming years in properties where retrofitting is difficult.

I noticed half way down the page it says:

" The unit must be installed by a F-Gas qualified AC engineer. Please ensure the qualified fitter reads the user manual in full before installing.
    These units contain a gas which is governed by F-Gas regulations. The gas must be handled by a qualified F-Gas personnel. 2 Year warranty is subject to commissioning by qualified F-Gas engineers. 5 Years extended parts warranty is subject to annual service."

If you could get somebody to come out and do that for a reasonable amount you'd have a fairly cheap option overall. Without knowing anything about the reliability of the VersionTCL brand, that is.

Advertisement