Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Bike shop - use it or lose it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I give a good bit of business to a LBS although it's not my LBS.

My nearest one has been given several chances but has always disappointed me. Owner seems totally disinterested - always yawning. Never returns phone calls etc.

I order some stuff online but it is not for price but because I can't get the brands I want in my regular shop. Most only stock one brand of chain, bar tape, overshoes etc.
    ....and their clothes stock is very limited and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Going by above comments I feel somewhat blessed. LBS is excellent - mechanic and 'front of house' both really decent guys. They know their stuff, happy to have a chat, and not the slightest whiff of arrogance at Joe Bloggs' complete ineptitude at running repairs. Sometimes I feel like I have to throw my money at them. Bought a bike on-line, set it up myself, but wanted it to get the once-over before throwing myself down hills at 60kmph, so dropped it in. Would have been more than happy to pay decent dollar for the fact that I bought online and can't trust my own repairs. Something miniscule like €20 charged.

As I say, saving 2-3 grand on a specific bike online just can't be ignored. But there's little satisfaction in having a nice bike(s) with nowhere decent to bring them for repairs and maintenance.

Will definitely be shopping local before Christmas (for myself!), most likely clothing/ accessories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I love the satisfaction of completing a new job on the bike myself, so find myself doing more and more myself, picking up the tools along the way and bits i need cheaply online.
    I do throw the odd mechanical job to a shop but am usually a bit meh about the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

I only use the LBS for repairs I cant do myself and full services. Apart from that all products are brought online. The mark up on goods in bike shops is extortionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭raheny red

Poster up in my lbs and I'd say they get that alot!

I never thought about my lbs (ignorance on my part?) until Halfords directed me there!!! Couple of weeks ago my derailleur hanger snapped so I popped into Halfords. They said I could be looking at least 10 days for the part to arrive and when it did they may not be able to fit due to how busy they are with the run up to Christmas. So they suggested the lbs. Brought the bike down to them but their supplier couldn't source the part. Back to Halfords I go to order the part and get my lbs to fit it :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

billyhead wrote: »
    I only use the LBS for repairs I cant do myself and full services. Apart from that all products are brought online. The mark up on goods in bike shops is extortionate.

Extortionate? Possibly.

But maybe necessary to pay rent, rates, insurance, wages, overheads etc. that online retailers aren't as impacted by, due to economy of scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've mentioned this before here possibly; i was in the market for a flatbed scanner about ten years ago, and asked for a price in a dublin camera retailer. the price they could offer was very different from the price i could get online, but that led to the person in the shop showing me the price they were being charged; at *wholesale* prices they were paying more than the online supplier was quoting at *retail*.

not saying this necessarily transfers to cycling gear, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does. camera and imaging gear may be different, but some of the large distributors probably don't want to deal with bricks and mortar shops who might sell a groupset or two a week, compared to the large online people (who don't have to pay the overheads of running a premises where the public are entertained) who might sell 20 a week. and they'll offer favourable bulk pricing as a result.

I have family in retail and honestly I wonder how bike shops do the numbers to stay open. I know what is paid in rent in the shopping centre where one works and on street shop another is in then add rates, wages, water etc.

That said the few times I've passed our LBS this week it looked to be the usual Santy fest so hopefully they are doing well.

Don't go in as often as I'd like for the same reason as others have.

Got me to thinking though about when we were growing up the LBS was a pair of elderly brothers who used to fix our bikes out of their shed .... wouldn't happen these days :pac: but would have regularly rolled up with a puncture etc and knocked on the shed door and had it fixed for 50p they must have made a bit in '87 when Roche won the tour as everyone was out on bikes that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've mentioned this before here possibly; i was in the market for a flatbed scanner about ten years ago, and asked for a price in a dublin camera retailer. the price they could offer was very different from the price i could get online, but that led to the person in the shop showing me the price they were being charged; at *wholesale* prices they were paying more than the online supplier was quoting at *retail*.

not saying this necessarily transfers to cycling gear, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does. camera and imaging gear may be different, but some of the large distributors probably don't want to deal with bricks and mortar shops who might sell a groupset or two a week, compared to the large online people (who don't have to pay the overheads of running a premises where the public are entertained) who might sell 20 a week. and they'll offer favourable bulk pricing as a result.

oh it does, a club member ran a bike shop for few years, he couldnt buy parts trade for the price chain reaction sell them for. if your not doing the online volumes then you cant compete on price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have family in retail and honestly I wonder how bike shops do the numbers to stay open. I know what is paid in rent in the shopping centre where one works and on street shop another is in then add rates, wages, water etc.

That said the few times I've passed our LBS this week it looked to be the usual Santy fest so hopefully they are doing well.
    In fairness though, we have many, many more bike shops that we did 15-20 years ago, before the BTW scheme, and the ones we do have are bigger and better and shinier - so it can't be all doom and gloom.

Perhaps it is the less 'serious' cyclists keeping them going? There are many people who would never consider buying online and would never consider doing any maintenance themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm very much less serious cyclist. So is OH, there is almost nothing we would buy locally. Only shopping I do regularly locally is groceries. Unless I'm in a hurry to get something I shop online. It's way more convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm very much less serious cyclist. So is OH, there is almost nothing we would buy locally. Only shopping I do regularly locally is groceries. Unless I'm in a hurry to get something I shop online. It's way more convenient.

Not just local bicycle shops that need peoples support, it's also the small retailer who sells clothes, electronics or other household goods...you're not just getting an item for a certain price, it's about the advice, the expertise and the piece of mind that if something goes wrong you can bring it back to the store, and most of us have transport to bring it back to that store.

I wonder how people would feel if the company they work for said they will outsource the tasks and work a locally employed person does onto a country where labor is cheaper and more readily available, just to save the bottom line financially...

A lot of online purchases can save you a lot of money, however it also encourages rampant consumerism, buying goods that aren't really going to be used and end up in some landfill a few weeks later...

So, by all means be proud that all your purchases are made online, however as people can see now in the local High street that the only retailers left are Charity shops and Bookies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I’ve got my bike back from one shop with someone else’s wheels on it.
    I’ve had a paint chip down to the carbon on a top end frame.
    Last year after a service the bike was left in 53/11 and would not budge!
    Other bike had handlebars pointing so far left I couldn’t cycle it,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have always supported at least one LBS, recently it had been Fitzcycles but then their rent jumped by an extortionate amount and they took the decision to close. Always out the door busy, friendly staff, decent mechanics and always engaged whenever I went in.

Joe Dalys was always good and David was/is an excellent mechanic. Funnily enough there is one between the two who all my clubmates swear by and I wouldn't be inclined to give them the time of day after the younger manager (possibly son) lied, repeatedly, to me about different things. Teir mechanic and the older lad seem good but I'd sooner walk the 20km home than give him my business to them because of the other lad. Their presumably related shop a little further west also left a sour taste in my mouth years ago.

Have to go looking for a new one now. Any recommendations between Donnybrook and Bray.

I used to use Joe Daly's when I was living around there. I remember the fist time I was in and it was just before they moved the older guy was flat out as the other lads were away at the Ras or Tour. Got handed a spanner to fix what ever the problem was myself possibly cranks I can't remember now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

me the price they were being charged; at *wholesale* prices they were paying more than the online supplier was quoting at *retail*.

Unfortunately not surprising for the little guy.

The company I work for buy some machines from small automation companies, who in turn buy their components from large equipment manufacturers.

Due to the scale of the company I work for, we buy so many spare parts, that we have lots of negotiating power with the equipment manufacturers. So much so in fact, that we can buy robots directly for 40% of the cost in some cases that the small automation company can.

I try to go to the LBS when I can, but in many cases it just isn't practical as I work outside of a main city so can't make it during normal office hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got to my LBS at least once a month.

Went in this morning to get a di2 cable and came out with a new bike rack!

Always get my bike serviced at one particular bike shop and bought my last bike there as well

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not just local bicycle shops that need peoples support, it's also the small retailer who sells clothes, electronics or other household goods...you're not just getting an item for a certain price, it's about the advice, the expertise and the piece of mind that if something goes wrong you can bring it back to the store, and most of us have transport to bring it back to that store.

I wonder how people would feel if the company they work for said they will outsource the tasks and work a locally employed person does onto a country where labor is cheaper and more readily available, just to save the bottom line financially...

A lot of online purchases can save you a lot of money, however it also encourages rampant consumerism, buying goods that aren't really going to be used and end up in some landfill a few weeks later...

So, by all means be proud that all your purchases are made online, however as people can see now in the local High street that the only retailers left are Charity shops and Bookies...

Thanks for the lecture but what you are saying is basically that I should continue to use type writer instead of computer so that people in type writer factory won't lose jobs.

I don't like shopping, it's a chore and if I can avoid it I will. As for rampant consumerism, I tend to be more thoughtful and less impulsive online.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Thanks for the lecture but what you are saying is basically that I should continue to use type writer instead of computer so that people in type writer factory won't lose jobs.

I don't like shopping, it's a chore and if I can avoid it I will. As for rampant consumerism, I tend to be more thoughtful and less impulsive online.

Sorry you took it personal wasn't directed at you specifically, just quoted your post, it's more general, and a statement on how people if they continue to shop online as opposed to locally then this is what could happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

One thing I’ve started to notice lately with a very well known shop is a phone call from a Mechanic trying to up sell other bits and pieces as part of the repair process . 2nd time in a row I had this experience.
    I honestly didn’t need the other bits as they were not worn etc and I’m ocd about the bikes
    So a simple request to fit or repair suddenly went sky high
    Haven’t gone back

• Advertisement

Sorry you took it personal, however my post was more general, and a statement on how people if they continue to shop online as opposed to locally then this is what could happen...

You quoted my post and addressed most of what you wrote with 'you'. It wasn't me taking it personally it was me replying to post that was addressed to me.

I understand what you are saying but frankly I think that's exactly what will happen. Unless small sellers have some unique appeal they won't be able to compete with big retailers. I was reminded in another thread that local service I do use regularly is optician because nothing beats trying lots of frames and deciding on the right one. As for bike shops, in my case there is not much they can offer us. OH does bike repairs and similar stuff to relax from work and everything else is just handier to order online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Oberkon wrote: »
    One thing I’ve started to notice lately with a very well known shop is a phone call from a Mechanic trying to up sell other bits and pieces as part of the repair process . 2nd time in a row I had this experience.
    I honestly didn’t need the other bits as they were not worn etc and I’m ocd about the bikes
    So a simple request to fit or repair suddenly went sky high
    Haven’t gone back

But did you not simply refuse? I see nothing wrong with a business trying to sell to their customers? What were they trying to sell to you?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    But did you not simply refuse? I see nothing wrong with a business trying to sell to their customers? What were they trying to sell to you?

I've had it once or twice as well, claims of chain or cassette being worn, would make sense to replace. They would call me though and ask did I want to get that done, sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. If they do it without asking though, well to hell with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have to go looking for a new one now. Any recommendations between Donnybrook and Bray.
    Harry's, if it's not far out of the way. I was happy enough with the old bunch, but finding the new team even better tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used to use Joe Daly's when I was living around there. I remember the fist time I was in and it was just before they moved the older guy was flat out as the other lads were away at the Ras or Tour. Got handed a spanner to fix what ever the problem was myself possibly cranks I can't remember now :D

Joe wasn't reknowned for his charm or ettiquette! I'm still always a little moved when I see his bike hanging in the shop with a simple sign; "Joe's Bike". I used to see him cycling around Dundrum when he was well into his 80s.
    I have always supported at least one LBS, recently it had been Fitzcycles but then their rent jumped by an extortionate amount and they took the decision to close. Always out the door busy, friendly staff, decent mechanics and always engaged whenever I went in.

Joe Dalys was always good and David was/is an excellent mechanic.
    He generally seems to focus on the sales these days, but he'll certainly take in a bike for service if he's around when you arrive in. Dave the service guy is very straight and direct.
    But did you not simply refuse? I see nothing wrong with a business trying to sell to their customers?
    There is something wrong if they're trying to sell you something you don't need under false pretences, by telling you that something needs replacement. And lots of customers wouldn't be in a position to know either way - they have to trust what the shop is telling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Harry's, if it's not far out of the way. I was happy enough with the old bunch, but finding the new team even better tbh.

Lucasz, owner of Apex Cycles in Newbridge. He was previously listed as Ashford Cycles and based in Ashford, Wicklow. He travels the length of the N11 and beyond once a week dropping, collecting and doing out of hours home repairs. He is the only man I, and many others, let work on our bikes. You'll find his details on FB.

Other than that, everything bought online, every repair I can do or *dont need an expensive proprietary tool for at home. Too many bad experiences with bike shops to bother with any of them anymore other than the man above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Plastik wrote: »
    Lucasz, owner of Apex Cycles in Newbridge. He was previously listed as Ashford Cycles and based in Ashford, Wicklow. He travels the length of the N11 and beyond once a week dropping, collecting and doing out of hours home repairs. He is the only man I, and many others, let work on our bikes. You'll find his details on FB.

Other than that, everything bought online, every repair I can do or need an expensive proprietary tool for at home. Too many bad experiences with bike shops to bother with any of them anymore other than the man above.

Absolutely agree with all the above, Lucasz is a top man but much more focused on the servicing and wheelbuilding side of the business rather than sales, and very reasonable as well.

https://www.facebook.com/APEXCYCLESKILDARE/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

nilhg wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with all the above, Lucasz is a top man but much more focused on the servicing and wheelbuilding side of the business rather than sales, and very reasonable as well.

https://www.facebook.com/APEXCYCLESKILDARE/

Another vote for Lucasz - top notch work at very reasonable prices. His parts prices are very reasonable too.

@Plastik - He’s based in Kildare town now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Whilst I'll definitely take note of the name, it still doesn't beat the convenience I get dropping a bike into Harry's before work, and collecting at home time (if not lunch depending on job/ how busy they are). I think they have courtesy bikes for those not just a short walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Another vote for Lucasz - top notch work at very reasonable prices. His parts prices are very reasonable too.

@Plastik - He’s based in Kildare town now

True enough, getting my Newbridge and Kildare confused!

Plenty of good lads out there I'm sure and who's convenient for one person isn't going to be convenient for someone else. I'm not saying Apex Cycles is any better or worse than Harrys (I haven't used) - and in many ways Harrys will be more convenient because if you have to give Apex a bike to do a big job and want to avail of the out of hours service then it's gone for a week until he's doing the run again to drop the bike back to you.

But the out of hours service, the pricing, the ability to conveniently contact by WhatsApp, plus the experience & knowledge, the willingness to properly troubleshoot, and being able get odd jobs done like pulling Campag Powertorque cranks, or pressing Ultratorque crank bearings while drinking a cuppa at home make Apex top of the pile for me. When you find a good reliable outfit where the mechanic is the front of house, that is the guy to use. That's the guy that understands that if the work isn't done right then it's his name, and his bottom line that suffers. Dara in Bee Cycles was (is?) the same, his shop, his name, his reputation, his bottom line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit dramatic in all fairness. Business's have to adapt to new often disruptive technology and/or new often disruptive customer demands. I buy a load of stuff online but it's almost always products where a local retailer wouldn't add any value such as pre sale advice, after sales service etc. There's no point paying a local retailer for doing not much more than adding cost to the end product.

Also, high streets (or main streets as we used to call them in Ireland) are replacing inefficient retail stores with coffee shops, restaurants, gyms etc. I can't recall which town it is but I recall seeing a documentary about a town in the UK which embraced this change and now the centre of the town is a vibrant space where people primarily live, eat and socialise with some quirky independent craft shops, barbers, bike shops, artisan bakeries and farm shops etc alongside the civic library and council offices. Almost like the town centre turned the clock back 80 years with your "big" shops like Tesco, Halfords, Boots etc all located on the edge of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Joe Dalys was always good and David was/is an excellent mechanic. Funnily enough there is one between the two who all my clubmates swear by and I wouldn't be inclined to give them the time of day after the younger manager (possibly son) lied, repeatedly, to me about different things. Teir mechanic and the older lad seem good but I'd sooner walk the 20km home than give him my business to them because of the other lad. Their presumably related shop a little further west also left a sour taste in my mouth years ago.

Fitz Cycles were my LBS also, really miss them particularly Karl the head mechanic who I thought was excellent.

I've kind of ended up with two LBS's now. I use Hollingsworth in Kilmacud https://www.mycycle.ie/Default.asp for all the family kit (3 X MTB's + 1 Hybrid) and servicing and I have recently started using https://www.belfieldbikeshop.com in UCD (turn left as you enter from the N11 side) for my road bike and have been very impressed with their knowledge, integrity and quality of servicing.

I've had it once or twice as well, claims of chain or cassette being worn, would make sense to replace. They would call me though and ask did I want to get that done, sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. If they do it without asking though, well to hell with that.

I think there is a fine line between doing what the customer wants and doing what needs to be done.

Example. Customer brings in a bike and asks for new brake /gear cables. The customer expects that once the new cables are fitted, the gears will shift as good as the day they bought the bike!

The mechanic on the other hand is damned if he does, of damned if he doesn't! Replace the cables only and the gears may be ok for a while but they will stretch and go out of adjustment after a while. (Customer then gets on boards and bad mouths the shop?)
    If the mechanic replaces the cables, calls the customer and recommends new chain and cassette...it may be seen as upselling? Mechanic/shop can't win?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive ways gone to the lbs and the mobile mechanic I sometimes use and asked them to do specific things, but said to them if they think something needs to be done just do it.

They generally have given it a more thorough look over and tweaked things before they got any worse.

Costs more on the day, but saved me money and time in long run

54and56 wrote: »
    Bit dramatic in all fairness. Business's have to adapt to new often disruptive technology and/or new often disruptive customer demands. I buy a load of stuff online but it's almost always products where a local retailer wouldn't add any value such as pre sale advice, after sales service etc. There's no point paying a local retailer for doing not much more than adding cost to the end product.

Also, high streets (or main streets as we used to call them in Ireland) are replacing inefficient retail stores with coffee shops, restaurants, gyms etc. I can't recall which town it is but I recall seeing a documentary about a town in the UK which embraced this change and now the centre of the town is a vibrant space where people primarily live, eat and socialise with some quirky independent craft shops, barbers, bike shops, artisan bakeries and farm shops etc alongside the civic library and council offices. Almost like the town centre turned the clock back 80 years with your "big" shops like Tesco, Halfords, Boots etc all located on the edge of the town.

Hardly, just look at say Rathfarnham village, full of charity stores and bookies as an example....

Getting back to bicycles, and a point I've made already.... With bicycles becoming more complex I would hate to see Online pack and stack retailers putting more and more LBS out of Business... Bicycles these days aren't what they were 20 years ago, we now have hydraulic brakes, suspension systems i.e. coil and air shocks, electric/wireless drivetrains, and of course electric bicycles, how many people feel comfortable removing a motor to service it?

If the mechanic replaces the cables, calls the customer and recommends new chain and cassette...it may be seen as upselling? Mechanic/shop can't win?

If I was a bike mechanic I wouldn't feel comfortable sending a bike out with a failing drivetrain that could potentially cause a safety issue, however i'm sure the customer would receive a call and be made aware of the issues...

Just like leaving your car in for an oil change and being told the braking system is worn to the limits, would the driver of the car feel comfortable driving around in a potentially unsafe vehicle?

I think there is a fine line between doing what the customer wants and doing what needs to be done.

Example. Customer brings in a bike and asks for new brake /gear cables. The customer expects that once the new cables are fitted, the gears will shift as good as the day they bought the bike!

The mechanic on the other hand is damned if he does, of damned if he doesn't! Replace the cables only and the gears may be ok for a while but they will stretch and go out of adjustment after a while. (Customer then gets on boards and bad mouths the shop?)

And thats not what I am on about, some shops will do it but I have had mechanics ring me and say, your chain is fairly worn, or cassette is fairly worn, you'll get a bit out of it or the work your getting done won't be great without it, I can then say fire away or, leave it for now.

Bad mouth a shop if they do it without asking by all means as some people might not have the cash for it but I wouldn't bad mouth a shop who ring me and say, this is also an issue, we can fix it or leave it, your choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

With bicycles becoming more complex I would hate to see Online pack and stack retailers putting more and more LBS out of Business... Bicycles these days aren't what they were 20 years ago, we now have hydraulic brakes, suspension systems i.e. coil and air shocks, electric/wireless drivetrains, and of course electric bicycles, how many people feel comfortable removing a motor to service it?
    this was something i was wondering about recently, how this will change what sort of volume the mechanics will be dealing with.
    i recently saw - more accurately heard - an e-bike, which sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine. so the issue sounded mechanical., but i guess electric motors will do a faster job of wearing down drivetrains than legs alone?

this was something i was wondering about recently, how this will change what sort of volume the mechanics will be dealing with.
    i recently saw - more accurately heard - an e-bike, which sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine. so the issue sounded mechanical., but i guess electric motors will do a faster job of wearing down drivetrains than legs alone?

Sales of eBikes in Europe are only going up, whereas analog bike sales are flat, so i'd say the need to have trained mechanics servicing these bikes will increase.

Some eBikes require the removal of the motor to change the battery, servicing the motor, and also the fact that drive trains and brakes are under more pressure from the additional torque put on the drive train, and wear on brakes from the heavy bikes...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My LBS is Staggs, I've been getting bits and pieces serviced over the last year and they've been very good. Good prices and quick turn around. Don't know why I didn't go sooner, I got fed up of some of the bigger shops doing a half arsed job or trying to sell me a chain and cassette on a bike with just 1,000km.

The only thing I've bought are small things like tubes, tools, grease/paste/degreaser, gels etc. If the price of something isn't much more than online I'll happily support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

A lad in my work went down to the LBS in Booterstown to get a new saddle (which he brought with him) fitted.

10 euros.............

Mikes Bikes in Dunlaoghaire is my LBS, I find them grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

usually use LBS in Kinnegad but have had a few issues with having to wait etc. Found a small one man band LBS by chance last week in kilcock and was pleasantly surprised how much time the guy in the shop took to sort me out. i wanted mudguards for the road bike and by telling him the model he knew exactly what ones i should buy.

And thats not what I am on about, some shops will do it but I have had mechanics ring me and say, your chain is fairly worn, or cassette is fairly worn, you'll get a bit out of it or the work your getting done won't be great without it, I can then say fire away or, leave it for now.

Bad mouth a shop if they do it without asking by all means as some people might not have the cash for it but I wouldn't bad mouth a shop who ring me and say, this is also an issue, we can fix it or leave it, your choice.

fair enough.. My example wasn't very good to be fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Bike shop wise I only let Dara in Bee Cycles at mine, he's just very good, no up selling or other shyte. Bit off your route but he's off mine too and worth it.

I haven't found a single bike shop with decent women's kit in. If they have anything (and it's rare! It's a token few bits) it's baggy commuter stuff and cheap shorts.

You can't get track stuff in an lbs in Ireland, I get whatever bits I can in bee cycles but I do buy online for components and kit.
    I only buy second hand bikes, so they're not a lbs purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I made the mistake once of fitting extra parts to a customer's road bike to get it to what I felt was an acceptable level of mechanical reliability and resolve gear issues; it had come in to ''check gears''.

I replaced both shifter cables and also chain/cassette, as cables were fubar'd and both chain and cassette were excessively worn. I made it 'right' to the level that I would hope my own bikes would be.

He subsequently tore strips out of the chap at front of house, accusing the shop of taking advantage of his lack of mechanical knowledge and charging him extra. All I intended to do was make his bike work well and reliably, perhaps naively on my part.

As my elderly father says ''that's twice you did it; the first time and the last time''..

From that day on, I didn't as much as fit a cable without ringing any future customer, going through my recommendations and giving an estimated cost.

99% of customers I rang were happy to go with my recommendations; the remaining 1% just wanted to ''get it going for as little as possible, its only for tipping around on'', which invariably meant they would writing off the bike further down the line, due to the accrued cost of repairs due to not staying on top of maintenance. Some people think all bike repairs should still be 20 quid or less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

8valve wrote: »
    I made the mistake once of fitting extra parts to a customer's road bike to get it to what I felt was an acceptable level of mechanical reliability and resolve gear issues; it had come in to ''check gears''.

I replaced both shifter cables and also chain/cassette, as cables were fubar'd and both chain and cassette were excessively worn. I made it 'right' to the level that I would hope my own bikes would be.

He subsequently tore strips out of the chap at front of house, accusing the shop of taking advantage of his lack of mechanical knowledge and charging him extra. All I intended to do was make his bike work well and reliably, perhaps naively on my part.

As my elderly father says ''that's twice you did it; the first time and the last time''..

From that day on, I didn't as much as fit a cable without ringing any future customer, going through my recommendations and giving an estimated cost.

99% of customers I rang were happy to go with my recommendations; the remaining 1% just wanted to ''get it going for as little as possible, its only for tipping around on'', which invariably meant they would writing off the bike further down the line, due to the accrued cost of repairs due to not staying on top of maintenance. Some people think all bike repairs should still be 20 quid or less...

In fairness, I’d always rather a phone call before any work is done on my bike or car. I may have an inkling as to what the issue is, I may have some idea of pricing, but I could be wrong and the difference in money charges could be enough to leave me broke or unable to pay, so I don’t like any mechanic charging ahead with work no matter how good it is.

But, then again, I always make it clear I need to be called to give the go ahead on any work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It just shows how hard to it is to please everyone. I'm of the opinion - if it needs doing, fcukin do it! The biggest inconvenience is being without your bike, so when I go to the trouble of bringing it to a shop and being without it for a week, then I want it back ideally not needing any work again for as long a time as possible. -It drives me mad when you have a bike in a shop and they've said - oh we should have that for you Saturday. Then when you ring on Saturday to announce collection you get "Oh they're just doing that now for you" (i.e. we forgot about it -quick what needs doing again?).
    And the bike is handed back, basically as it was a week previously with "Yeah, we checked the bottom bracket, we've ordered that in and we'll have it for you during the week. You'd probably also want to keep an eye on the headset cos that's on the way out, and you'll need new cables soon...."

FFS.

fat bloke wrote: »
    It just shows how hard to it is to please everyone. I'm of the opinion - if it needs doing, fcukin do it! The biggest inconvenience is being without your bike, so when I go to the trouble of bringing it to a shop and being without it for a week, then I want it back ideally not needing any work again for as long a time as possible. -It drives me mad when you have a bike in a shop and they've said - oh we should have that for you Saturday. Then when you ring on Saturday to announce collection you get "Oh they're just doing that now for you" (i.e. we forgot about it -quick what needs doing again?).
    And the bike is handed back, basically as it was a week previously with "Yeah, we checked the bottom bracket, we've ordered that in and we'll have it for you during the week. You'd probably also want to keep an eye on the headset cos that's on the way out, and you'll need new cables soon...."

FFS.

I get your point but some people cannot afford some repairs, I have been in that position myself on occasion with my bike and car. I will go back and get it done but if they get me rolling for a week, and I am aware f the other issue, I'll return and sort it after payday. Not everyone can drop an unexpected €75 for a cassette. Ask them, they will say yes or no, if they say no, you told them and they know for future why they are coming back or the issue is not fully rectified. No car garage would do this either, if my garage sees or noticed something wrong or I have dropped it in for a diagnosis, they will ring me, they would be insane not too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hmmm, on a very related note.....
    I brought the bike for a complete overhaul as I've been busy with work and lazy at home.
    BB, headset, new RD, chain, cassette and all cables. I've owned several cars that cost less than I handed over. Brought the bike home and the gears weren't even close to being indexed and the BB was creaking worse than when it went in despite being a brand new one. Had to loosen the RD cable and completely start from scratch myself and then go at the BB ... I'll be doing it all myself and saving the price of some gp5000s next time around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement