Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Bike shop - use it or lose it!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Went to my local bike shop to get gears fixed, agreed on a service for 50. Gears were still slipping afterwards so I went back and his solution was to adjust the plastic screw at the handlebars.

Gears are still slipping.

Going to have to go to the expensive place beside work to get the job done properly.

I wouldnt mind but I referred a few mates to this guy as well, very frustrating all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

riemann wrote: »
    Went to my local bike shop to get gears fixed, agreed on a service for 50. Gears were still slipping afterwards so I went back and his solution was to adjust the plastic screw at the handlebars.

Gears are still slipping.

Going to have to go to the expensive place beside work to get the job done properly.

I wouldnt mind but I referred a few mates to this guy as well, very frustrating all round.

How old is the bike? Could be indexing or might need a new chain & cassette

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I like to support the local bike shops and I’m lucky as there are a few near me , I’ll buy tubes, gels cages things like that , however there are a couple spring to mind further afield in Dublin who really are riding people .
    One huge one in particular has a really arrogant attitude from a couple of their staff (not all) and have pissed me off before .
    You know the type , you buy or spend a big chunk of money and ask for a change of stem etc - I came into buy a bike one day and found a fault with it , minor one pointed it out and he wouldn’t fix it . I told him I wouldn’t do business so , guy didn’t care , you’d wonder what the owner would think if he saw such poor customer service

On the flip side the one nearest me is the opposite and helps me out a lot . Good attitude too

Prefer to buy locally when I can but in reality most is online . The shops get the repairs and the consumables

A good LBS is worth its weight in gold

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How old is the bike? Could be indexing or might need a new chain & cassette

A year old.

I've no idea but will ask the next lad. I don't mind paying again, as much as the time lost and bike still out of action.

Should have went with the lads beside work from the get go.

A year old.

I've no idea but will ask the next lad. I don't mind paying again, as much as the time lost and bike still out of action.

Should have went with the lads beside work from the get go.

What kinda of milage have you done on it?

• Advertisement

What kinda of milage have you done on it?

I have literally no idea. Around the city commute so nothing major

I have literally no idea. Around the city commute so nothing major

It's likely an idexing issue. Here's a video I used to help myself https://youtu.be/Bbk5RcH0bbQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use two bike shops. I tend to buy clothes and bikes in LBS. I have 3 bikes and they were all bought from local shops. Online purchases tend to be consumables such as tyres, brake pads, cables etc.

When it comes to bike repairs I tend to buy the parts I need and also any tools I need and I do the repair at home.
    I prefer to buy the required tool for the job as opposed to pay for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's likely an idexing issue. Here's a video I used to help myself https://youtu.be/Bbk5RcH0bbQ
    I'd maybe give the mechanic a pass the first time on the indexing, but I'd expect drivetrain wear (hanger too?) to be checked if I went back with them still slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've had great service from Joe Daly's in Dundrum in recent years. I don't really have the time or patience or skill or tools to do much myself, beyond maybe changing a tube. I had problems with their servicing some years back, maybe eight years or so. The guy running the show at that stage was a bit too smart, and had me waiting more than a week for brake pads. It has much improved, and the late opening on Thursday evening is a big help too. I'll definitely be going back there for my next BTW purchase.

I've got some odds and ends online, more when I was looking for a particular colour item. My Altura jacket was a bit cheaper online too.

• Advertisement

Thanks, went messing at it before and made it worse. Will leave to the pros

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is an interesting, and frustrating topic.

I am a big believer in shopping local where possible (If locals don't support a region, why should anyone else) and both myself and brother and a couple of mates went to extreme efforts to build a rapport with our LBS. The main guy there did not make it easy. He was excellent for fault analysis, repair, guidance on bikes etc but was not a people person and 90% of the time you got the idea that he just wanted you to walk out of the shop or to think twice about using him the next time.
    He was always very defensive about price even though he was never questioned about it, certainly not by us.

Brother in particular would have wanted to use them a lot as has 5 bikes between himself and his wife (3 bought there) and would be willing to pay more for consumables if the customer service on repair and build was acceptable.

Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, the shop closed. We always felt that if they had a decent customer facing person they could have been really successful but alas, it wasn't there and it was plain to see for a finish that the only people left using them were casual cyclists or bike to work purchases and they had to shut the doors.

We switched to using another guy about 15k away and after both of us had been in once or twice, I rang the brother and had the 'What the f*ck is up with guys working in bike shops' conversation as initial impressions were not good. I left the country soon after but brother still uses this guy and he now has a good relationship with him, I think.

To be fair to them, some customers do take the proverbial. The lad in the first place told me a story once of a customer who sought advice on selecting a bike at the shop, then bought it online, then brought it in to them to set up and tune. And put pressure on them to do so as it was for a birthday present. That has to be very frustrating.

visited a fella once with my old tank of a thing, just wanted it serviced and the steering post needed looking at.

told me he couldnt do anything for me short of spending a couple hundred on the old beauty, she deserved it.

twas like letting diarmuid gavin in and giving him the bank details.

i appreciated his passion and enthusiasm but we didn't come to an arrangement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm the opposite of poster above, as a complete mechanophope I'm happy to pay for labour. Would take a lot for me to blink at cost - I've an attitude of "if it's that easy then do it yourself". Changing tube, even, I've lost count of number of tubes I've butchered doing it myself. The fact that it might take me 15 mins but a half decent mechanic 3 mins is irrelevant to me - I'm saving my time and my sanity so happy to pay.

Sometimes the savings online are just too good to ignore, especially (unfortunately) with bikes. That said I'm very conscious of the need to give custom.

Anyway, I was only thinking the other day - what makes LBS the most money; what do they have biggest mark-up on? Bikes? Clothing? Parts? Accessories? Or put another way - how would they like to see me spend €50/ €100 in their shop? What gives them biggest bang for my buck?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have to confess that I buy very little from local bike shops (there are 2 very good shops in close proximity to me) and buy the vast majority online simply because the savings are huge. On the few occasions when I did buy from them, the prices could only be described as extortionate! The last example was when I broke a chain a few months back, I figured that being able to buy the chain that day rather than waiting 3 or 4 was worth the few quid extra. I bought a SRAM PC1110 11 speed chain which was €11 on CRC but was €26 in the shop. Now I understand that CRC buy in huge bulk and smaller shops have overheads etc to pay but the near 2.5x price difference is hard to ignore and i'm not paid enough to make those kind of financial sacrifices on a regular basis. I do however use them for servicing especially my winter bike which seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to gears/cables and also because I wont touch the hydraulic brakes myself and would rather pay to have it serviced every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Paddigol wrote: »
    Anyway, I was only thinking the other day - what makes LBS the most money; what do they have biggest mark-up on? Bikes? Clothing? Parts? Accessories? Or put another way - how would they like to see me spend €50/ €100 in their shop? What gives them biggest bang for my buck?

Like anything in retail, bricks and mortar shops can't compete with pack 'em high warehouse online retailers, so any money is made on repairs I would say..

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

54and56 wrote: »
    How long did it take to removed the tube, locate the puncture, prepare the area for repair, apply the patch/make good, then reinstall the tube to the rim and blow it up?

Fifteen minutes total? That would equate to a labour charge of €60 an hour out of which the ship had to cover costs and make a profit. Not too bad IMHO for an on demand instant service.

How much would you charge in the same circumstances?

Strangely enough the lad had a spare tube in the saddlebag and it would/should only have taken the shop a few mins to sort it and charge the young lad a fiver, if local bike shops want repeat customers they need to treat them properly not try to screw them, (the guy in the shop in question here sits on his arse all day long anyway) imho he should have had a bit more cop on

Thanks, went messing at it before and made it worse. Will leave to the pros

It takes patience, litterally tiny changes at a time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Most of my day to day stuff, cassettes, cables, tyres, tubes and the like, is bought online more for convenience that cost. I don't drive so going to a local bike shop is a hassle, which would also involve a bus or long walk home if I was putting the bike in for a service. I also quite enjoy the mechanical aspect and reckon I'd be better able than many when it comes to sorting a roadside mechanical as I'm very familiar with the workings of my bikes.

For actual bikes, I've used a local bike shop for three out of the five bikes currently in the house, with one bought second hand and another online.

It takes patience, litterally tiny changes at a time

Yeah and I feel a proper mount would be handy too. I have neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I give a good bit of business to a LBS although it's not my LBS.

My nearest one has been given several chances but has always disappointed me. Owner seems totally disinterested - always yawning. Never returns phone calls etc.

I order some stuff online but it is not for price but because I can't get the brands I want in my regular shop. Most only stock one brand of chain, bar tape, overshoes etc.
    ....and their clothes stock is very limited and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Going by above comments I feel somewhat blessed. LBS is excellent - mechanic and 'front of house' both really decent guys. They know their stuff, happy to have a chat, and not the slightest whiff of arrogance at Joe Bloggs' complete ineptitude at running repairs. Sometimes I feel like I have to throw my money at them. Bought a bike on-line, set it up myself, but wanted it to get the once-over before throwing myself down hills at 60kmph, so dropped it in. Would have been more than happy to pay decent dollar for the fact that I bought online and can't trust my own repairs. Something miniscule like €20 charged.

As I say, saving 2-3 grand on a specific bike online just can't be ignored. But there's little satisfaction in having a nice bike(s) with nowhere decent to bring them for repairs and maintenance.

Will definitely be shopping local before Christmas (for myself!), most likely clothing/ accessories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I love the satisfaction of completing a new job on the bike myself, so find myself doing more and more myself, picking up the tools along the way and bits i need cheaply online.
    I do throw the odd mechanical job to a shop but am usually a bit meh about the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

I only use the LBS for repairs I cant do myself and full services. Apart from that all products are brought online. The mark up on goods in bike shops is extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭raheny red

Poster up in my lbs and I'd say they get that alot!

I never thought about my lbs (ignorance on my part?) until Halfords directed me there!!! Couple of weeks ago my derailleur hanger snapped so I popped into Halfords. They said I could be looking at least 10 days for the part to arrive and when it did they may not be able to fit due to how busy they are with the run up to Christmas. So they suggested the lbs. Brought the bike down to them but their supplier couldn't source the part. Back to Halfords I go to order the part and get my lbs to fit it :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

billyhead wrote: »
    I only use the LBS for repairs I cant do myself and full services. Apart from that all products are brought online. The mark up on goods in bike shops is extortionate.

Extortionate? Possibly.

But maybe necessary to pay rent, rates, insurance, wages, overheads etc. that online retailers aren't as impacted by, due to economy of scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've mentioned this before here possibly; i was in the market for a flatbed scanner about ten years ago, and asked for a price in a dublin camera retailer. the price they could offer was very different from the price i could get online, but that led to the person in the shop showing me the price they were being charged; at *wholesale* prices they were paying more than the online supplier was quoting at *retail*.

not saying this necessarily transfers to cycling gear, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does. camera and imaging gear may be different, but some of the large distributors probably don't want to deal with bricks and mortar shops who might sell a groupset or two a week, compared to the large online people (who don't have to pay the overheads of running a premises where the public are entertained) who might sell 20 a week. and they'll offer favourable bulk pricing as a result.

I have family in retail and honestly I wonder how bike shops do the numbers to stay open. I know what is paid in rent in the shopping centre where one works and on street shop another is in then add rates, wages, water etc.

That said the few times I've passed our LBS this week it looked to be the usual Santy fest so hopefully they are doing well.

Don't go in as often as I'd like for the same reason as others have.

Got me to thinking though about when we were growing up the LBS was a pair of elderly brothers who used to fix our bikes out of their shed .... wouldn't happen these days :pac: but would have regularly rolled up with a puncture etc and knocked on the shed door and had it fixed for 50p they must have made a bit in '87 when Roche won the tour as everyone was out on bikes that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've mentioned this before here possibly; i was in the market for a flatbed scanner about ten years ago, and asked for a price in a dublin camera retailer. the price they could offer was very different from the price i could get online, but that led to the person in the shop showing me the price they were being charged; at *wholesale* prices they were paying more than the online supplier was quoting at *retail*.

not saying this necessarily transfers to cycling gear, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does. camera and imaging gear may be different, but some of the large distributors probably don't want to deal with bricks and mortar shops who might sell a groupset or two a week, compared to the large online people (who don't have to pay the overheads of running a premises where the public are entertained) who might sell 20 a week. and they'll offer favourable bulk pricing as a result.

oh it does, a club member ran a bike shop for few years, he couldnt buy parts trade for the price chain reaction sell them for. if your not doing the online volumes then you cant compete on price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have family in retail and honestly I wonder how bike shops do the numbers to stay open. I know what is paid in rent in the shopping centre where one works and on street shop another is in then add rates, wages, water etc.

That said the few times I've passed our LBS this week it looked to be the usual Santy fest so hopefully they are doing well.
    In fairness though, we have many, many more bike shops that we did 15-20 years ago, before the BTW scheme, and the ones we do have are bigger and better and shinier - so it can't be all doom and gloom.

Perhaps it is the less 'serious' cyclists keeping them going? There are many people who would never consider buying online and would never consider doing any maintenance themselves.

Advertisement