Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do they not use the original paint codes when developing these so they match up ?

Is it a difference in film processing etc.

A discussion on a spotters page seems to point to a difference between processed film in the 70s versus digital photogrphy now.

And Im not sure what reference they used for it but the design was pretty detailed. A mate in EI has the original PDF design specs. He was involved in the livery decision and the then CEO sent the design to him 5-6 months before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

A333 EI-FNG arrived back at DUB early this morning (2.20am) following maintenance at Abu Dhabi.

I wonder who's next in for maintenance?

EI-GAJ didn' fly yesterday and A332 EI-DUO flew the 147 to SFO.

Tenger wrote: »
    A discussion on a spotters page seems to point to a difference between processed film in the 70s versus digital photogrphy now.

And Im not sure what reference they used for it but the design was pretty detailed. A mate in EI has the original PDF design specs. He was involved in the livery decision and the then CEO sent the design to him 5-6 months before delivery.

I’m nearly certain they were able to use the original “paint mixture” to get the correct shades.

I’ve looked at my photos of it and in bright light the shading is lighter.

I also think the BAC 1-11 one wasn’t great, I much prefer the thinner cheat line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I always remembered it being greener, but that could just be the memory letting go! Regardless I’m glad the retro livery is continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

HTCOne wrote: »
    I always remembered it being greener, but that could just be the memory letting go! Regardless I’m glad the retro livery is continuing.

Good image here of the original colour as painted, probably in the 1960s. It has weathered well as this nose section has been under cover since the aircraft was dismantled. https://flic.kr/p/TbtJFU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Good image here of the original colour as painted, probably in the 1960s. It has weathered well as this nose section has been under cover since the aircraft was dismantled. https://flic.kr/p/TbtJFU

Slightly off topic, but it’s this still possessed by EI !? And if so, why is it not on display somewhere!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't like giving this crowd clicks because they're a credit card shilling marketing mouthpiece but here's a (overly harsh) review of the A321LR Y product;

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-economy/

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

cson wrote: »
    I don't like giving this crowd clicks because they're a credit card shilling marketing mouthpiece but here's a (overly harsh) review of the A321LR Y product;

Never noticed it before but why in God’s name did they put two pronged headphone jacks on the economy screens? All the latest and updated-IFE A330s and even the 757s have single prong and it makes life so much easier.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but it’s this still possessed by EI !? And if so, why is it not on display somewhere!??

I'm not aware of its ownership status but I've never seen anything to suggest it's owned by the airline since the majority of the V800 fleet was sold to be broken up for scrap in the early 1970s. The Aer Lingus Viscount story is not a particularly happy one, with two being lost in fatal crashes and another being written off in a non-fatal accident at Bristol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Never noticed it before but why in God’s name did they put two pronged headphone jacks on the economy screens? All the latest and updated-IFE A330s and even the 757s have single prong and it makes life so much easier.

You can still use it with a single jack. It's two pronged as some devices may have two jacks rather than one. I think the complimentary headphones are two pronged but I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

So that they can use either the one or two pin ones they have in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

cson wrote: »

I don’t think it’s that overly harsh but it is typical of these style of reviews, anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell the author was scraping the barrel to find any genuine criticism.

-My 15” MacBook didn’t fit on the tray table, wahhh!
    -The arm rest was plastic, booo!
    -The economy seat was, *shock horror* an economy seat!
    - It’s perfectly acceptable for 8 hours but not much longer... wow, what a genius.

The overall impression I get is that it’s a very solid economy product from Aer Lingus, they definitely rank quite highly across the Atlantic. This is particularly true when compared to their other European flag carrier counterparts.

I’ve read a few TAP A321LR reviews in both classes and it’s safe to say Aer Lingus are head and shoulders above them in almost every aspect. TAP has made more of an effort with the cabin design but their soft product is dire.

I wonder what crew numbers on that flight were.Have been told that after the start of the A321LR operation with 5 crew they have commenced flights with 4 crew.

A330 has 8 crew: 317/8 =39.6, 275/8= 34.3, 184/4= 46, 184/5= 36.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I wonder what crew numbers on that flight were.Have been told that after the start of the A321LR operation with 5 crew they have commenced flights with 4 crew.

I've spoken to a couple of crew members about it. They seem to think the 5th comes in handy for serving the 16 people in Business but beyond that there isn't really anywhere for them and they end up just getting in the way. The two half galleys are so small and there's no crew rest so nowhere for them to take breaks or just sit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Assume 1 is assigned to J, that's a big ask to take care of 16 pax a further ask to look after 55 Y odd each between the remaining 3. Can see this backfiring, service on the A330s is spotty enough as it is in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I suspected they would get there way.

Did unions put up much of a fight or have they been promised something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I suspected they would get there way.

Did unions put up much of a fight or have they been promised something else?

Trials are on-going. Nobody has “got their way”

Current Temporary crewing levels;
    DUB-BDL/SNN-BOS/JFK - 5CC
    DUB-EWR/PHL - 4CC

Everyone has different viewpoints on how having 5 crew works best - there’s two sides to this debate. Also comparing single crew numbers to pax ratio leaves out the workload involved especially in J and is not an accurate representation of the basis of concerns of 4 crewing level.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

Does anyone know if the ex Jet Airways A330 that arrived in Dublin is to join EI?

DVM the ''Retro'' returns back to Dublin tomorrow evening and DEK is off for a repaint.

DEK DUB1900-1945SNN
    DVM SNN2030-2115DUB

• Advertisement

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ex Jet Airways A330 that arrived in Dublin is to join EI?

There was the long running rumour that EI were getting 2 ex Jet A330s. But this could be just parked there before painting and off to another airline.

As for DVM, back in same livery? The Dublin spotters Facebook group were having cardiac arrest at the thought of losing "their" retro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Jack1985 wrote: »
    DVM the ''Retro'' returns back to Dublin tomorrow evening and DEK is off for a repaint.

DEK DUB1900-1945SNN
    DVM SNN2030-2115DUB

Was there a A320 painted recently - DVK I thought?

EI-DVK is in the new livery, saw it myself at LHR the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EI-DVK is in the new livery, saw it myself at LHR the other day.

Cheers - I’ll update the livery list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

Has ELA gone in for a repaint ? It hasnt flown since Tuesday.

Has ELA gone in for a repaint ? It hasnt flown since Tuesday.

Yes.

• Advertisement

EI-DVK
    49440970267_785ac98bde_b.jpg

Nice to see the repaints picking up place but can spot two minor errors with that one; The flag should come after the registration and the titles have been placed ever so slightly too far back so the space between them and the shamrock is bigger than it should be.

Note the placement of the 'g' here on EI-DVN for reference.

40239713483_b0d34da67d_b.jpg

Only minor errors and hardly noticeable to most people but not the first time mistakes have been made on IAC repaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Nice to see the repaints picking up place but can spot two minor errors with that one; The flag should come after the registration

I prefer the Ryanair approach to the flag which is to have it facing the nose.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I prefer the Ryanair approach to the flag which is to have it facing the nose.

Which one the Irish or Polish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EIN123

Is there a list any where online that shows the current aircraft that are painted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EIN123 wrote: »
    Is there a list any where online that shows the current aircraft that are painted?

Yeah
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057981271/2/#post112354000

EI-DEK is currently on its way down to Shannon for its repaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

What routes do Aer Lingus use the old A321s on?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

uxiant wrote: »

some one say before ACE

uxiant wrote: »

Theyve done DUB-KTT & RVN charters this winter and operate the charter flights from DUB-SZG. They do AGP, FAO, BOJ (during the summer) canary islands also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Nice to see the repaints picking up place but can spot two minor errors with that one; The flag should come after the registration and the titles have been placed ever so slightly too far back so the space between them and the shamrock is bigger than it should be.

40239713483_b0d34da67d_b.jpg

Only minor errors and hardly noticeable to most people but not the first time mistakes have been made on IAC repaints.

That flag is back to front.

Looking at those 2 pics, the stem of the shamrock is on the 3rd window, while the 'g' is on the 7th window. Both are the same

And as above the flag is incorrect. The livery is designed to be seen from the lefthand side. Those the flag on the left will be green/white/orange, as iff the flagpole is at the nose. On the right hand side the flag should be seen in reverse, similarly as if the flagpole is at the nose but we are looking at the back of it.

Looking at those 2 pics, the stem of the shamrock is on the 3rd window, while the 'g' is on the 7th window. Both are the same

And as above the flag is incorrect. The livery is designed to be seen from the lefthand side. Those the flag on the left will be green/white/orange, as iff the flagpole is at the nose. On the right hand side the flag should be seen in reverse, similarly as if the flagpole is at the nose but we are looking at the back of it.

The shamrock is in the correct position. The titles are slightly to the left, leaving a larger gap between them and the shamrock.

The ‘g’ in EI-DVK is centred directly over the 7th window while it remains slightly to the right of that window on ‘DVN and all previous repaints. It’s a simple case of the logo mark not being applied correctly.

As for the flag, Aer Lingus don’t follow the rule that it should painted how it would be seen flying from a flagpole. Ryanair definitely do.

Took a closer look, I see now that the g is centered on one but not on the other. Would never have noticed it myself though.

As for the flag, when I was with them the definitely followed the flag protocol. Perhaps with all the staff changes over the last 10-15 years it just been overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can anyone tell me why the tail has just "VK" or "VN" etc when the full reg is "DVK/DVN"?

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me why the tail has just "VK" or "VN" etc when the full reg is "DVK/DVN"?

Those letters aren't for you and I, they are there for the ground staff of the airline. So they won't care about an extra letter when they are looking for VN on the ramp. No point wasting money when it isn't needed.

Those letters aren't for you and I, they are there for the ground staff of the airline. So they won't care about an extra letter when they are looking for VN on the ramp. No point wasting money when it isn't needed.

Thanks. As soon as I read this I pictured that scenario straight off. It's a bit obvious now! :)

How much would the D cost extra to paint on?

As for the flag, when I was with them the definitely followed the flag protocol. Perhaps with all the staff changes over the last 10-15 years it just been overlooked.

The flag protocol hasn't been officially used at Aer Lingus since the 1960s livery. There are some exceptions but these would have been mistakes as brand guidelines indicated the flag should always be as standard, no matter what direction the aircraft is perceived to be flying in.

747 in 1987;

48233031401_6658e3ddac_c.jpg

Other Irish airlines have had various approaches to the flag protocol. Ryanair has always consistently followed the protocol by having the flag reversed on the starboard side of the aircraft, indicating direction of travel. Aer Arann didn't actually feature the flag on its aircraft until the short lived green livery was introduced, in this case it followed the Aer Lingus example while adding a European flag to accompany it. CityJet's last livery did the same, Irish flag + European flag same on both sides.

Does anyone know when EI-LRD will arrive? SNN-JFK resumes on the 13/02 so the 2nd A321LR will be needed in SNN.

Does anyone know when EI-LRD will arrive? SNN-JFK resumes on the 13/02 so the 2nd A321LR will be needed in SNN.

Spotted at XFW today.

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Gudat/status/1221837175383379968?s=20

Must only be a matter of week away now.

Spotted at XFW today.

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Gudat/status/1221837175383379968?s=20

Must only be a matter of week away now.

Thanks for the link to the picture. Definitely looks like itll be ready soon.

Thanks. As soon as I read this I pictured that scenario straight off. It's a bit obvious now! :)

How much would the D cost extra to paint on?

I don't know but x50 or whatever is in their fleet and it adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

I don't know but x50 or whatever is in their fleet and it adds up.

I'd have thought it's just for practicality as much as cost given that the aircraft are referred to by the last two letters of their reg and the lower cost is just a happy result it. BA do the same.

747 in 1987;

48233031401_6658e3ddac_c.jpg

That livery looks fantastic!

• Advertisement

EI-EIM, the newest A330, is currently awake in Brussels. It’s appeared on FlightRadar24 but with no callsign at the moment.

Preparing to move?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement