Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Random running questions:

Who ran 10km for the first time in about 3 years today???? Who??? Who???

Me!!!! 10km!!!! Double digits baby! :pac:

Was there Womble Hill, Mortons Mountain and Old Bawn Death Climb in the same run???

Yes there bloody was!!!!!!

That is all :o:D

*cough * 14 and a half km today :D .

I'll stop doing this now :o or maybe once more when I get to double digit miles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I was going to ask this in the 'Women's issues' thread, but then I thought, well RED-S affects men and women.

There's been so much in the media in the last year or two about runners - men and women - underfuelling and the negative results of that (whether mainly physical, like Bobby Clay, or physical and psychological, like Mary Cain). I think it's great that there's heightened awareness of this and that coaches / elite athletes etc are becoming more aware that you don't have to be a specific body type or have specific one-size-fits-all weight goals to be a good runner.

However, I know weight is important to runners and Sonia O'Sullivan etc would not have run as fast if she was carrying a lot of excess body weight (I think she even referenced that in her own column after the Mary Cain story broke). Hopefully more awareness of long term health etc will be useful to coaches and elite runners as they try to balance nutrition and leanness when they have big races coming up.

But I was wondering, how common do people think that under-fuelling / RED-s etc is in recreational runners? (I don't want people naming names or referencing local runners they think look a bit thin :)) I'm more wondering if people have found themselves becoming more conscious of their weight, whether that's because it might help performance or because they feel they have to look a certain way to be a runner?

(This isn't a cry for help, I just read a good article on Fast Running
    https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/why-does-society-push-for-me-to-under-fuel/28524

and I was talking about it with people. It made me think that running COULD make people have different standards of weight to the 'non-running' population (I think this is true for me - if I was comparing myself (& I know I shouldn't be!!) to other women, I'd be comparing myself to the women in my club, not a more sedentary person), and maybe it could also mask disordered eating / under eating because people often accept that runners are light / might be careful about what they eat whereas weight loss / excessive attention to food etc might raise red flags to family and friends if the person wasn't a runner.

I just wondered what people thought - is the pressure around body image (whether from ourselves or from external sources) something that recreational runners in Ireland suffer from, or is it just an issue for the elites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I have to disagree with you on the quality of that opinion piece.

I think she jumps to her conclusion that society is the cause of her RED-s far too easily with little to no evidence other than anecdotal.

From the article I thought it was quite clear that the cause of her nutritional issues were far simpler than that. In my opinion it was just her own lack of knowledge and ignorance of the subject.

She even states it herself, she was completely uninformed and just didn't know what to eat.
    There was no one pressurising her to eat the wrong foods, she wasn't malnourished.

She blames magazines and TV shows for not providing her with the necessary information.

That's pretty lazy, she has all the information she needs at her fingertips.
    When you're younger you need people to teach you these things or set you in the right direction, even just to tell you that you don't know much about nutrition and to read up on it
    That's her parents' responsibility, her coachs' responsibility, teammates, her own etc.

I think she needs to shoulder the responsibility of this or at least share it with the people that brought her up without informing her before she runs with the society has failed her argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Has the Irish weekly running news ceased on Fast Running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OOnegative wrote: »
    Has the Irish weekly running news ceased on Fast Running?
    No (or at least, not as of two days ago): https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/weekend-round-ups/scullion-5th-at-houston-marathon-irish-weekend-round-up/28649

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I just wondered what people thought - is the pressure around body image (whether from ourselves or from external sources) something that recreational runners in Ireland suffer from, or is it just an issue for the elites?

I would say that there is some pressure on men, Helen, but not to the same degree of pressure as there is for women, particularly for younger women.

I've always thought of myself as skinny but I think running is the only sport I've ever done where people get compliments for this. When you are at your lightest, you get "looking fit" or "not a pick on you".

I'm sure I have talked about competitive male runners who look a bit "heavy" or are "carrying a bit of weight", when discussing their performances with some of the coaches; like the detached dissection of a racehorse's frame. Beyond "fitness", it's probably one of the first things brought up when you're rationalising a lacklustre performance.

And while I think there is an awareness and acceptance that people with different body shapes can excel at running, the underlying assumption is always that lighter is better - whatever your natural shape - and bigger guys generally come in for more detailed examination of their bodies.

The complicating factor is that the parameters of 'normal' in running are completely skewed. For example, Chris Solinsky is sometimes put forward as an example of what a 'large' man can do - the fastest "big guy" in the world. He was 6'1" and weighed 75kg (about 4 kgs more than I do), but that's a pretty extreme description of 'large'.

So, if it's part of the culture at the top of the sport, and the framing for 'large' and 'skinny' are so distant from conventional understanding, I think it's inevitable that it permeates discussions at the recreational levels too. There are some good academic articles in discourse analysis amongst runners looking at some of these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

28064212 wrote: »

Cheers, that’s not showing up for me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

What do people generally do when they missed out on a weeks worth of marathon training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

mickwat155 wrote: »
    What do people generally do when they missed out on a weeks worth of marathon training?

Test the waters on the first day back. Short and slow. If you're fine, chuck in another easy day or two and then you should be good to go. Do not under any circumstances try to fit in the missed session(s) after you get back.

You just have to suck it up. It's rare that you'd get 16 weeks without some kind of niggle, minor injury, chest cold.......

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Itziger wrote: »
    Test the waters on the first day back. Short and slow. If you're fine, chuck in another easy day or two and then you should be good to go. Do not under any circumstances try to fit in the missed session(s) after you get back.

You just have to suck it up. It's rare that you'd get 16 weeks without some kind of niggle, minor injury, chest cold.......

I hurt myself last Friday after a 14 mile run I knew something wasn't right at mile 12 but I stupidly pushed on because in my head the rest of the run felt good and plus I was stubborn and this happened I'm only a novice runner so I'm not 100% sure what I've done the pain isn't as bad now it's around my glute and hamstring on my right leg im 10 weeks out from Rotterdam my first marathon I've just been resting since it happened then I'm going to my physio on Tuesday so fingers crossed hopefully the fight isn't over yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

How close to a race do you stop the supplementary workouts (S&C, yoga etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I was going to ask this in the 'Women's issues' thread, but then I thought, well RED-S affects men and women.

There's been so much in the media in the last year or two about runners - men and women - underfuelling and the negative results of that (whether mainly physical, like Bobby Clay, or physical and psychological, like Mary Cain). I think it's great that there's heightened awareness of this and that coaches / elite athletes etc are becoming more aware that you don't have to be a specific body type or have specific one-size-fits-all weight goals to be a good runner.

However, I know weight is important to runners and Sonia O'Sullivan etc would not have run as fast if she was carrying a lot of excess body weight (I think she even referenced that in her own column after the Mary Cain story broke). Hopefully more awareness of long term health etc will be useful to coaches and elite runners as they try to balance nutrition and leanness when they have big races coming up.

But I was wondering, how common do people think that under-fuelling / RED-s etc is in recreational runners? (I don't want people naming names or referencing local runners they think look a bit thin :)) I'm more wondering if people have found themselves becoming more conscious of their weight, whether that's because it might help performance or because they feel they have to look a certain way to be a runner?

(This isn't a cry for help, I just read a good article on Fast Running
    https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/why-does-society-push-for-me-to-under-fuel/28524

and I was talking about it with people. It made me think that running COULD make people have different standards of weight to the 'non-running' population (I think this is true for me - if I was comparing myself (& I know I shouldn't be!!) to other women, I'd be comparing myself to the women in my club, not a more sedentary person), and maybe it could also mask disordered eating / under eating because people often accept that runners are light / might be careful about what they eat whereas weight loss / excessive attention to food etc might raise red flags to family and friends if the person wasn't a runner.

I know from my own (purely personal and anectdotal) experience that, like the runner writing the article, I sometimes bonk on long runs and during/after tough sessions. I had two very recent examples of this, and they have shaken my confidence in the lead up to my next race in a couple of weeks. The problem was almost certainly fuel related - i.e. bad preparation for the session, not eating enough before (including the days before) the session.

For me, this has nothing to do with body image - I am skinny and would actually like to gain some weight. My BMI is in the normal range, but at the low end of that range, and I'd like to have more 'wiggle room'. I often get slagged for complaining about this, but I find it as difficult to put on weight as most others find it difficult to lose. I know this is partly to do with food choices (quality and volume), but also metabolism, and my own exercise load, including cycling, walking, and everything else (e.g. there are a lot of stairs in my house!)

On the other hand, to slightly contradict the above, I suppose my desire to gain some weight could theoretically be put down to body image - I don't think I 'look' as healthy as I would like, and sometimes I've been mildly shocked looking back at photos depicting me at 'marathon weight', some of which border on cacecthic. I have what I would consider a good appetite but genuinely struggle to eat enough of the right kind of foods, during marathon training especially. But I really think it's more to do with just wanting to feel stronger and to have more muscle mass. Do I do strength and conditioning to help with this? Sometimes, but certainly not enough. So I know there are things I have to do, and do better, to 'look' the way I would like. I like to look reasonably fit and healthy and strong, and for me that would involve being about 7-10 lbs heavier, a weight I have only briefly achieved, in the immediate aftermath of quitting the smokes nine years ago.

I think it is beyond doubt that there are cultural and societal pressures on people (mostly women, but also - and increasingly - men, especially younger men) to look 'good', whatever that means at any particular point in time. Apart from all the bullish*t about 'beauty', dress, and grooming, in the current era, marked by unprecedented obesity, it is probably more prized than ever to look athletic and 'fit'. I don't see why this wouldn't affect recreational runners as well as elites, although there is less at stake, perhaps.

Do I know many recreational runners with obvious eating disorders (of the 'deficiency' variety)? No. But I do know plenty of people, myself included, whose training and racing ambitions, however grand or modest, are not matched by their dietary ambitions. Some of this is down to lack of knowledge, some to lack of commitment or 'willpower' (I don't like to use the word lazy, especially in relation to people who are obviously physically and mentally active.) I think there's no doubt that social conditioning around what 'good' looks like make it far easier to get away with undereating than overeating.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I know from my own (purely personal and anectdotal) experience that, like the runner writing the article, I sometimes bonk on long runs and during/after tough sessions. I had two very recent examples of this, and they have shaken my confidence in the lead up to my next race in a couple of weeks. The problem was almost certainly fuel related - i.e. bad preparation for the session, not eating enough before (including the days before) the session.

For me, this has nothing to do with body image - I am skinny and would actually like to gain some weight. My BMI is in the normal range, but at the low end of that range, and I'd like to have more 'wiggle room'. I often get slagged for complaining about this, but I find it as difficult to put on weight as most others find it difficult to lose. I know this is partly to do with food choices (quality and volume), but also metabolism, and my own exercise load, including cycling, walking, and everything else (e.g. there are a lot of stairs in my house!)

On the other hand, to slightly contradict the above, I suppose my desire to gain some weight could theoretically be put down to body image - I don't think I 'look' as healthy as I would like, and sometimes I've been mildly shocked looking back at photos depicting me at 'marathon weight', some of which border on cacecthic. I have what I would consider a good appetite but genuinely struggle to eat enough of the right kind of foods, during marathon training especially. But I really think it's more to do with just wanting to feel stronger and to have more muscle mass. Do I do strength and conditioning to help with this? Sometimes, but certainly not enough. So I know there are things I have to do, and do better, to 'look' the way I would like. I like to look reasonably fit and healthy and strong, and for me that would involve being about 7-10 lbs heavier, a weight I have only briefly achieved, in the immediate aftermath of quitting the smokes nine years ago.

I think it is beyond doubt that there are cultural and societal pressures on people (mostly women, but also - and increasingly - men, especially younger men) to look 'good', whatever that means at any particular point in time. Apart from all the bullish*t about 'beauty', dress, and grooming, in the current era, marked by unprecedented obesity, it is probably more prized than ever to look athletic and 'fit'. I don't see why this wouldn't affect recreational runners as well as elites, although there is less at stake, perhaps.

Do I know many recreational runners with obvious eating disorders (of the 'deficiency' variety)? No. But I do know plenty of people, myself included, whose training and racing ambitions, however grand or modest, are not matched by their dietary ambitions. Some of this is down to lack of knowledge, some to lack of commitment or 'willpower' (I don't like to use the word lazy, especially in relation to people who are obviously physically and mentally active.) I think there's no doubt that social conditioning around what 'good' looks like make it far easier to get away with undereating than overeating.

Funny, I had you down as a chubby fooker. Must be mixing ya up with someone else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Apologies if this a stupid question, but I'm not overly familiar with the road.
    Would there be any safety issues running this route in the dark?

https://www.strava.com/segments/645949

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

zico10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this a stupid question, but I'm not overly familiar with the road.
    Would there be any safety issues running this route in the dark?

https://www.strava.com/segments/645949

All on footpaths, prob not street lighting all the way but 99.9% of way

Only part id wonder is the little bit, the hill, into the summit car park.
    But I would run it in the dark

Streetlights all the way, including the road up to summit carpark, which is a residential street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I haven't run it at night and can't comment on street lights but I'd have no hesitation running there, it feels very safe and the footpaths are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for the replies, guys. I ran the route last night and it was perfect for what I wanted. Paths and roads were very quiet, which was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Currently coaching an operation transformation 0to5k group. A lot of different abilities within this group as its a mixture of fitness, yoga, mindfulness classes etc..

My point is when this ends as in previous years people are left in limbo, as everyone just goes back to doing there own thing.
    I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this). Anyway drawing up a form to help me and them set out a few plans and expectations.

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

ABILITY :(can run comfortably) 3k 5k 10k 10k+

PB:

GOALS :eg complete 5k/10k, lower PB, increase distance

Is there anything else I should put in. Maybe a wee disclaimer. All members of a running club but I know I'll have more looking to join that won't want to join the running club. The local GAA organise a 5 and 10k in the summer, so will be looking for coaching. TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If they are members of a running club can they not train with the club?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If they are members of a running club can they not train with the club?

Lots of running club members train outside the club, either alone or in organised groups. Not unusual at all. Not all clubs have training sessions that meet everyone's needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

joe35 wrote: »
    My point is when this ends as in previous years people are left in limbo, as everyone just goes back to doing there own thing.
    I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this).
    Good luck with it. My club runs a c25k every year with around 100 doing it and probably 90% plus completing the program. Despite getting numerous requests to continue on with something most fade away after a short period. We try to get them involved in club training or group runs for different levels but it never lasts too long. I'd be interested to see how you get on with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Currently coaching an operation transformation 0to5k group. A lot of different abilities within this group as its a mixture of fitness, yoga, mindfulness classes etc..

I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this). Anyway drawing up a form to help me and them set out a few plans and expectations.

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

PB:

Is there anything else I should put in. Maybe a wee disclaimer. All members of a running club but I know I'll have more looking to join that won't want to join the running club. The local GAA organise a 5 and 10k in the summer, so will be looking for coaching. TIA

Next of kin or ICE (in case of emergency). Hopefully it will never be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

At the end of the program my local club bring the group along to Parkrun as their first official 5k. They get a great welcome and encouragement there and they are introduced to somewhere they can continue their running journey should they wish to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

PB:

Half the battle is motivation but holding yourself accountable to a coach and/or peers i find really helps!

Very best of luck with this :)

They are members, but within the club there are no coaches willing to take on with coaching these athletes. At adult level it's very much do your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

How does one breathe while running? What's the best way to maximise use of lung capacity? Does one ever push the abdomen out to try to get more air in? I'm aware that holding the head up and shoulders down is generally a good idea. And mouth or nose? I know that when not running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is generally considered the healthiest way to breathe. But is it practical while running?
    Thoughts appreciated
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Sussex18 wrote: »
    How does one breathe while running? What's the best way to maximise use of lung capacity? Does one ever push the abdomen out to try to get more air in? I'm aware that holding the head up and shoulders down is generally a good idea. And mouth or nose? I know that when not running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is generally considered the healthiest way to breathe. But is it practical while running?
    Thoughts appreciated
    S
    I've never been able to take in enough air through my nose so definitely through the mouth. My buddy who runs marathons advised me to breath at the pace of my steps. Using the footsteps to count in in out out in in out out. It seems to work for me anyway.

Wondering how hard people would think progressing from 6k runs to a 10k would be in four weeks would be?
    I'm signed up for a 10k on the 8th of March and between work and the weather I haven't been able to get out training as much as I'd like. I'm doing 6k runs in about 38 minutes currently. I'm not that bithered about doing the 10k in a really good time, I just want to finish it but in a reasonable time i.e I'd like to finish before they reopen the roads to traffic :D
    I'm experiencing a few aches and pains so far, shin splints, sore knees and hips. How much of a strain would it be to get up to a respectable 10k in four weeks?

• Advertisement

You'll survive alright but sort the pains out, its not supposed to be sore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Thoughts appreciated
    S

Way to much for me to try cover on a post, and most on here wouldn't agree with me anyway :)

Get yourself a copy of "The Oxygen Advantage" by Patrick McKeown

Whether you choose to implement some or all of what he suggests is up to you. But it will definitely give you food for thought.

Main thing with breathing is to breathe out. Empty the lungs completely. In mindfulness they say 4,7,11. In for 7 out for 11 and 4 reps. I find in for 7 to slow, breath out for 11 to 13 seconds and take in through the mouth a fast full breathe.

I'd use the pace of my steps when breathing out, always try and force an extra breath out. Find it exhausting to do this for long periods but if going up a hill or prior to do a sprint finish etc I would do this for 6 or 8 reps. Makes you feel refreshed.

Constantly saying this to athletes I coach. One asked me to show him what I meant last week at training. We were in a group and me and him just started this breathing exercise. After only 1 lap we gained 80m on the group. He couldn't believe how effective it was.

Theory is, if you don't breathe out fully, you're circulating say 40% stale air 60% O2. If you empty the lungs it's 100% good oxygen being circulated

Main thing with breathing is to breathe out. Empty the lungs completely. In mindfulness they say 4,7,11. In for 7 out for 11 and 4 reps. I find in for 7 to slow, breath out for 11 to 13 seconds and take in through the mouth a fast full breathe.

I'd use the pace of my steps when breathing out, always try and force an extra breath out. Find it exhausting to do this for long periods but if going up a hill or prior to do a sprint finish etc I would do this for 6 or 8 reps. Makes you feel refreshed.

Constantly saying this to athletes I coach. One asked me to show him what I meant last week at training. We were in a group and me and him just started this breathing exercise. After only 1 lap we gained 80m on the group. He couldn't believe how effective it was.

Theory is, if you don't breathe out fully, you're circulating say 40% stale air 60% O2. If you empty the lungs it's 100% good oxygen being circulated

Just to be clear on the 1st part, are you saying to breathe through your mouth the whole time (at rest) or just while you're doing excersis

On the last part, is that your own theory?

Breathe out for 11 to 13 seconds? Jeez, I think I got to 5 just now trying that.

But then again those mindlessness people are a bit different I find.

Breathe out for 11 to 13 seconds? Jeez, I think I got to 5 just now trying that.

And removed from reality :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think I could just about manage 10 seconds sitting in a chair and relaxed before the vision starts to blur and I feel stoned. To breath out for 13 seconds while running...eh no! Then again a gain of 80m in 400m is a 20% gain...who needs Alphaflys? :confused:

Sorry folks, dropped the phone in water and had it in a rice bag to dry out��.

I never actually count the seconds when I breath, but I know from running in groups I'd breath out for alot longer than most.

Yes I'd half feel 'stoned' from doing this. Would only do 4 or 5 reps and then back to normal breathing.

On the theory, I was doing intense training as a junior 30 odd years ago. Can't even remember the coaches name but he told me this theory and I swear by it since.

On breathing in through the mouth. I use to always breath in through my nose until last year. Heard a junior coach in our club saying why would you use your smaller inlet (nose) to breathe in when your mouth is a bigger opening. Put it into practice and I'd agree.

I'd breath through my nose normally.

Folks I'm no expert and do no running now, to old and carrying a bit of weight, but I really can't emphasise enough the importance of breathing. It's getting fuel to the muscles so you want breathing to be as beneficial as you can make it.

Just my taughts

Why do people who race near the back of the field overdress so, so much? I did a low-key trail race yesterday and I was admiring my dashing looks in a couple of pics just now. It was a mild, windy morning (not Ireland, btw) and looking at the slower runners I can't help but notice they're way overdressed. Hats, gloves, neck warmers, long tights, jackets. WTF? I was in a short sleeved T shirt and I swear it wasn't even cold on the start line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I think part of the appeal for a lot of people is getting all the gear.

I would put it in the carrying a bottle of water while you run category of just not understanding that you'll survive without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why do people who race near the back of the field overdress so, so much? I did a low-key trail race yesterday and I was admiring my dashing looks in a couple of pics just now. It was a mild, windy morning (not Ireland, btw) and looking at the slower runners I can't help but notice they're way overdressed. Hats, gloves, neck warmers, long tights, jackets. WTF? I was in a short sleeved T shirt and I swear it wasn't even cold on the start line.

As a bit of a chubster here, full length leggings are more comfortable - but no way could I race in a jacket or a load of other stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning All,

From a club perspective is there any particular guidelines with regard ratios for coach v members for adults groups .? Does a running club coach need to have a set standard of courses done etc ?

As a small enough club - with a lot of social runners and no real elites at adult level hard to get decent coaches onboard .

Thanks
    BS

Would anyone know of a decent light running jacket that's breathable but somewhat waterproof/showerproof for under €70? I know the really decent ones are €120+. I only need it for occasional use so all training doesn't have to stop when the weather is bad. I had a cheap one before but it was like wearing bin bag and I would get uncomfortably hot within ten minutes. Anyone know of the ones from Decathlon are any good? Cheers.

Hat and gloves when running, especially gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Bassfish wrote: »
    Would anyone know of a decent light running jacket that's breathable but somewhat waterproof/showerproof for under €70? I know the really decent ones are €120+. I only need it for occasional use so all training doesn't have to stop when the weather is bad. I had a cheap one before but it was like wearing bin bag and I would get uncomfortably hot within ten minutes. Anyone know of the ones from Decathlon are any good? Cheers.

https://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/AS2112/Asics-Mens-Accelerate-Wind-And-Waterproof-Hooded-Running-Jacket-Sulphur-Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

First Marathon this year, hopefully i can stay injury-free and make it to the starting line. I am following a plan. Can someone advise if both speed and hill training are advisable? The plan I have has speed interval training but I keep hearing hill training been mentioned too :confused:

Klopp wrote: »
    First Marathon this year, hopefully i can stay injury-free and make it to the starting line. I am following a plan. Can someone advise if both speed and hill training are advisable? The plan I have has speed interval training but I keep hearing hill training been mentioned too :confused:
    Not trying to be a smart arse. But if you're following a plan stick to what ever is on the plan.
    If you are 2nd guessing it then look for a plan that you're completely happy with.

Hill's can be included into any plan, but you need to know why you are doing them. Are they hill sprints, hill strides, what distance are the reps, what recovery.
    All of these will provide a different stimulus depending on what you are trying to achieve..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I would put it in the carrying a bottle of water while you run category of just not understanding that you'll survive without it

Jayney. I carry water :o. I don't even notice I'm carrying it within a short distance. If I don't carry water, I can't sip as I go. If I don't sip as I go, I'm far more inclined to gulp water when I do get it. If I gulp water, that's the end of any comfort whilst running, as my temperamental upper stomach goes into spasm.
    Particularly on longer runs and summer runs, I was always led to believe that if you're feeling thirsty, you've left it too late to hydrate. Carrying a bottle also means I can take gels during races when I want to, not when water stations dictate. In 2 of my most recent races, there were big distances between some water stations... people complaining about the drought all around me, whilst I was okay.
    I know I'll survive without it, but jeez, I'd feel ill and sore by the time I get home if I didn't have it.
    So it'd be unwise for me not to carry it. I didn't realise this puts me into a "category"! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Klopp wrote: »

if you are doing the Dublin marathon you definitely need to do some hill training, even just adding some hills to your long runs once a week will definitely stand to you.
    best of luck btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement