Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I started Road Rash 2 and ECCO the Dolphin today. Road rash 2 has hairy graphics imo. Not the best for it's time. Ecco is kinda cool, it's different... Had this on my game gear back in the day, never played the megadrive version of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Project Luna is out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Well that didn't take very long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Have had some trouble with Konami roms not booting up. Also I'd recommend you download NTSC roms if you can, you end up with the blue border on EU roms. You can try force NTSC mode on a EU rom but I got mixed results. Virtua Racing also doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

lmimmfn wrote:
    The Mrs picked one up for me, shame the controllers are only the 3 button variants, SF2 is a bit crap because of it, can only punch, maybe its configurable but still missing lots of moves, might look at getting 6 button controllers.

On this point. Any opinions on the one from Argos?
    Product number 419/7524

Reviews on amazon are mixed.

• Advertisement

Encountered a weird problem. 6-button controller doesn't work on some games - WWF Royal Rumble (no great loss you say!). Found a rom of Zombies Ate My Neighbours I could load but no controller would work (3 or 6 button). Has anyone tried this game yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

My wife got me one for my birthday (Christmas Day), was the second time in my life that I was waking up to a Mega-Drive under the tree, got the original one for Christmas in 1993! Made a 38 year old man happy :-)

Have played it a bit over the last week, love it. Great to play Road Rash 2 again, had that back in the day. Not technical at all so probably won't be adding any games via hacking. Would have loved to have some of the EA hockey games on it, big fan of those back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    My wife got me one for my birthday (Christmas Day), was the second time in my life that I was waking up to a Mega-Drive under the tree, got the original one for Christmas in 1993! Made a 38 year old man happy :-)

Have played it a bit over the last week, love it. Great to play Road Rash 2 again, had that back in the day. Not technical at all so probably won't be adding any games via hacking. Would have loved to have some of the EA hockey games on it, big fan of those back in the day.

Its ridiculously easy to hack and add in games dude. I did mine the other day, added in a pile - but damn, i forgot NHL! Of course, Fifa and Sensible Soccer got added in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm probably going to get one of these for the upcoming birthday, it'll end up on the pile of hacked mini consoles, but it's too nice to pass up.

Hack it, absolutely, too many amazing shooters to mention on the MD Mini and not enough of them are on the console.

From Thunderforce IV to Flying Shark... Need them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Its ridiculously easy to hack and add in games dude. I did mine the other day, added in a pile - but damn, i forgot NHL! Of course, Fifa and Sensible Soccer got added in

Cheers. Will do a bit of research and will give it a go. Yeah the early FIFA's were great too... the days of being chased by the referee and getting booked for a foul, classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I mean it says every game but we all know that Pirates! Gold is the only game anyone needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Cheers. Will do a bit of research and will give it a go. Yeah the early FIFA's were great too... the days of being chased by the referee and getting booked for a foul, classic!

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Its important to note that, when applying this hack, the power cable that ships with the Mini will not work. - you will need to use a different cable. The one that came with the SNES/NES mini would be fine or even just a standard micro USB phone power cable.

The Mega Drive mini cable is not capable of data transfer.

That being said, I had to try 2 different cables before it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Now that it's been hacked (and looks simple to do!) I'm very tempted. That means I now want to buy this and the Playstation Classic (which seems to be tricky to get now :()

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The GF wants me to start making a list for my birthday in February so I've added this to it, it would be nice if the price went down a little after the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Can i hack this on a macbook dont see an option for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Had a voucher from Amazon that is going to depreciate in value from 23:00 tonight, so decided to put it towards the Asian version with the two six button pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

First impressions, the six button controllers are either smaller than I remember, or they have been reduced in size for this.

Mega Drive Tetris is unresponsive ****e.

The Darius port is gorgeous.

I was using headphones, and there's so much little bits of audio I've just never heard through TV speakers. When Mega Drive audio was done well it really was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

First impressions, the six button controllers are either smaller than I remember, or they have been reduced in size for this.

The Darius port is gorgeous.

I was using headphones, and there's so much little bits of audio I've just never heard through TV speakers. When Mega Drive audio was done well it really was fantastic.

The Sega 6 button controller was always a little smaller than the original 3 button - did you get the ghz one or the bluetooth version?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

I got this in the post yesterday and had a blast! While I have an original PAL Mega Drive, I really still had the itch to pick this up if for no other reason alone than to have the proper speed versions of Sonic on something resembling the original console. I'm also a big Street Fighter nut and for me, the Mega Drive pad is my favourite to play it on, considering I have the SNES (which is graphically better, but I think the MD music is closer to the CPS1) and Arcade versions (the definitive) as well. It does well for me in terms of execution.

For what it's worth, I think the stock game choices are great. I'm planning on making a list of which ones I want to play through and clear because I could never exactly do it when I was a kid. Started with Shinobi 3 and the double jumping on Level 6 caused much salt. It's a great game all said though.

I managed to get the hack on it as well. Hard to go wrong when Restalgia and Patton Plays have so good tutorials on YouTube. However, Project Lunar would not work for me. It just kept crashing on the title screen so I went with Hackchi instead which worked much better. Seems a majority of games work fine with the stock emulator anyway so I'm very happy with that. I'm not one of those looking to add thousands of games anyway, just a few assorted nostalgic extras and legacy games for me which weren't part of the stock list. For the others, I must still get to grips with the Retroarch and how it maps the controls on the six button pad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Danick wrote: »
    The Sega 6 button controller was always a little smaller than the original 3 button - did you get the ghz one or the bluetooth version?

I never liked the Sega 6 button pad at all.
    Thankfully I got one of these from a regular here, Cosmic Smash.
    At the same time, this is for an original Megadrive, rather than the Mini modern thingy.

HORI-MEGA-COMMANDER-Sega-Mega-Drive-Genesis-Controller.jpg

I can't find a D9 to USB adapter that would allow me to use my original MD controllers on the Mini, which is a pity.
    I imagine they are out there but I've no idea where I'd fine one!
    Apparently the hack might allow for more USB devices to be greenlit as compatible by the Mini, which would expand the number of devices that could be used, allowing stuff like my 3rd party pads and sticks to work.

Something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I cannot get enough of it since Christmas. The music is great.

On a side note... does anyone know of a bricks and mortar shop selling SNES mini new?

Has anyone got Sega CD working on it yet? Think the latest version of Lunar lets you do it.

I barely touched my megadrive mini since Xmas... I must do the hack on it and see what I can get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

mondeo wrote: »
    I barely touched my megadrive mini since Xmas... I must do the hack on it and see what I can get from it.

Do it and play the greatest boxing game of all time ... ironically called greatest heavweights of all time :pac:

Not much of a deal on these. Only a few on eBay selling for close to retail. Smyth's have it for €70, don't see anything lower than that.

I'd like to pick up a SNES Mini but it looks like they're going for €90-100?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Has anyone got Sega CD working on it yet? Think the latest version of Lunar lets you do it.

I got it working today with Hakchi. I think the steps between that and Lunar are more or less the same in terms of getting them to run.

I also figured out how to get the 6 button pad working with Retroarch. You have to set the pad in Options to Six Button. Then you have to remap the buttons as its native setting doesn't line up exactly with the Mega Drive controller. A little bit annoying but manageable.

The way it sets it out so ye know for yourself is (supposing I'm playing Street Fighter)

X = Light Kick
    Y = Light Punch
    X = Medium Punch

A = Medium Kick
    B = Heavy Kick
    C = Heavy Punch

Also you might have to play around with which core you use for Sega CD. Picodrive gave an error about RAM Installation but Genesis Plus GX works fine (for Sonic CD at least anyway).

sugarman wrote: »
    They were €50 on eBay during the week.

Currently €55 on Amazon.de.

€65 with shipping, €70 in Smyths. Don't seem to be going for bargain prices yet.

Sorted :)

FD9QOoe.jpg

• Advertisement

I really have do the hack on this soon, I am missing out and I consider myself Mr Megadrive.

Advertisement