Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah but Kid Chameleon Stinks!!!!!

Go 'way you ya snake, Kid Chameleon is awesome! :pac:
    And don't get me started on modern games where tutorials can last over an hour.

Do they all happen to be Japanese games? The whole reason I have never dove into Persona 5 is the thought of having to go through that whole tutorial process...... noooo thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is Kid Chameleon really that long??? mental! I've never made it passed the first few bits...generally for the same reasons that Retr0 mentioned above :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Regarding tutorials, I still can't believe so many games still explain to you how to use the controls at the beginning in the most basic of senses. I mean is there really anyone left on earth that doesn't now how to use twin analog sticks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do they all happen to be Japanese games? The whole reason I have never dove into Persona 5 is the thought of having to go through that whole tutorial process...... noooo thanks.

While Persona 5 (and 3 and 4) have particularly long tutorials I find Japanese action games are far better than at this. Western games are the main culprits.

I mean compare your typical western opening with Metal Gear Revengeance where you fight a Metal Gear Rex, lob it's arm off, fight it again, run down the side of a clock tower and slice it in half... then half an hour later realise that that was the tutorial.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Is Kid Chameleon really that long??? mental! I've never made it passed the first few bits...generally for the same reasons that Retr0 mentioned above :pac:

It goes on for ages and it really confusing as you can skip levels and end up going all over the place with a lot of levels looking and feeling like you've been there before. I tried to beat it years ago but got so bored about 4 hours in I had to give up.

It goes on for ages and it really confusing as you can skip levels and end up going all over the place with a lot of levels looking and feeling like you've been there before. I tried to beat it years ago but got so bored about 4 hours in I had to give up.

See, that's where save states would come in handy! I can save it, leave it for a while, then when I decide I want to try again, I don't have to start from the beginning - I can just continue where I left off.

Also..... to further answer O1s1n's question about "fast-forwarding": I wouldn't use save states to cheese my way through a game, or to go back to where I was before I died, I did that one time, with Mega Man, but that was before I learned that I'm just bad at Mega Man and shouldn't be playing them, full stop lol

I use save states as a checkpoint if it makes enough sense (like the end of a level, or just before coming to a boss battle).

In any case, I assume the MD Mini is hackable, as the rest of the mini consoles???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The nice thing about this system is that it's the first console Sega have made in years 20 years.

Back in the 1990's millions of people were using megadrives, now for the first time since the 1990's thousands or more people will be using Megadrive consoles again on xmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

mondeo wrote: »
    The nice thing about this system is that it's the first console Sega have made in years 20 years.

Back in the 1990's millions of people were using megadrives, now for the first time since the 1990's thousands or more people will be using Megadrive consoles again on xmas morning.

I swear, if I won some mega lottery I'd be at Segas door trying to convince them to get dreamcast 2 out the door. Incentives with a 100 million investment to get it started at least, pure vanity project :p

Second on the list would be to reform a Rare group to get a killer instinct 3 arcade cabinet off the ground (but not the xbox one version, a new build). Have 20 cabinets made with gold t-molding and diamond buttons. Oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

When I'm daydreaming I often think Sega could probably launch a midrange games system and do alright. 90% of the games coming out right now don't need a very powerful console. If you got a load of Steam stuff ported over, with Sega exclusives, and a load of retro stuff for hardware price of €200 would probably do alright. Maybe discounted PS4's and XBones would eat your lunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm constantly looking at digital foundry showing off the new fangled raytracing abilities on PC which will show what to expect from the next generation of consoles and giving a very unexcited meh. I'd say you could bring out a last gen system that could pump out 4K and nobody would be the wiser which was better unless side by side. I think we have reached a point where the increases in power lead to very small increases in graphical fidelity. So come on Sega. Give us Dreamcast 2. I'm bored of most Triple A dreck and need a console with such an eclectic and weird library. And blue skies! Nobody does blue skies like Sega. Even their darkest games like Streets of Rage are gloriously colourful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Wouldn't be able to play games on the Sega Mini without the save states to be honest, I don't have 2-3 hours to sit down and clear a game. Factor in my reflexes having slowed down massively, especially on platformers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you not find save states suck the fun out of a game no? Kinda just like fast forwarding through the game to get to the end?

Half the fun of a good platformer is seeing how good you get with each attempt :)

It depends on the game. If the design is fair, I'll stick with the pre-existing save mechanism. If it's grindey or ball busting, feck that, times have moved on & I've only gotten older, save states ftw :o

A lot of old games aren't as hard as made out and just need a bit of patience to get through. Poster children of Nintendo hard contra and Super C took me an afternoon each without the 30 lives code.

Of course there are bull**** moments in games where save stating is a god send. Looking at you Megaman 1 Yellow Devil and most of all the final boss of ninja gaiden and that stupid bug that kicks you back 4 grueling stage when you lose just one life to him! (seriously **** Tecmo for never fixing this in the western release).

Road Rash II is a lot harder than I remember. Back in the day I never had it for more than a weekend when renting it out so I guess I never got into level 4 or 5.

On the Sega Mini it's very difficult and without the save states I'd get nowhere. I don't know how the game was supposed to be played back in the day because it takes me grinding tracks to get the money up to get new bikes. Most races I am lucky to finish, bike gets wrecked. I think it's the RNG? It's insane, obstacles over every hill.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Road Rash II is a lot harder than I remember. Back in the day I never had it for more than a weekend when renting it out so I guess I never got into level 4 or 5.

On the Sega Mini it's very difficult and without the save states I'd get nowhere. I don't know how the game was supposed to be played back in the day because it takes me grinding tracks to get the money up to get new bikes. Most races I am lucky to finish, bike gets wrecked. I think it's the RNG? It's insane, obstacles over every hill.

Road Rash 2 (as well as 1 and 3) has a password system. I still have a sheet full of passwords in my original boxes of all three games. Probably my favourite racing game series of the 16-bit era.
    No RNG on that one. Road Rash takes a lot of memorizing the tracks and a bit of practice before you get the hang of it. Each time you level up, the tracks get shuffled - one track is replaced per level, and they increase in length as well.

I can play Road Rash 1 with my eyes closed up until I hit level 3, then I have to really concentrate because, like with 2 and 3, you have to modify your bike, increase its speed, and that's where the difficulty ramps up. The faster the game gets, the harder it is to maintain control of the bike, and it just gets ridiculous, because then you have to not only focus on controlling your bike, but also defending yourself against other opponents and avoiding oncoming traffic (or any traffic, really) and praying to god a cop doesn't show up should you fall off lol

Sorry, I went on a bit of a drivel. I've been a massive fan of Road Rash since it came out - play them all the time. So happy it's on this mini console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Road Rash 2 (as well as 1 and 3) has a password system. I still have a sheet full of passwords in my original boxes of all three games. Probably my favourite racing game series of the 16-bit era.
    No RNG on that one. Road Rash takes a lot of memorizing the tracks and a bit of practice before you get the hang of it. Each time you level up, the tracks get shuffled - one track is replaced per level, and they increase in length as well.

I can play Road Rash 1 with my eyes closed up until I hit level 3, then I have to really concentrate because, like with 2 and 3, you have to modify your bike, increase its speed, and that's where the difficulty ramps up. The faster the game gets, the harder it is to maintain control of the bike, and it just gets ridiculous, because then you have to not only focus on controlling your bike, but also defending yourself against other opponents and avoiding oncoming traffic (or any traffic, really) and praying to god a cop doesn't show up should you fall off lol

Sorry, I went on a bit of a drivel. I've been a massive fan of Road Rash since it came out - play them all the time. So happy it's on this mini console.

I love them too, especially the second one, but the 3DO version is the tops for me everytime.
    Did you play the MegaCD/SegaCD version?
    It's a weird hybrid of RR3 and the 3DO/PS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The balance on Road Rash 1, 2, 3 and 3DO is spot on. It's the main reason Road Redemption is totally disappointing by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Anyone attacking ghouls and ghosts ? Ridiculously hard. I stopped half way through it, it's not fun playing a game this difficult. Is there any cheats for a GOD mode for Ghouls and Ghosts ? My sanity is tested too much with this game.

mondeo wrote: »
    Anyone attacking ghouls and ghosts ? Ridiculously hard. I stopped half way through it, it's not fun playing a game this difficult. Is there any cheats for a GOD mode for Ghouls and Ghosts ? My sanity is tested too much with this game.

I've beaten it.

It's not too bad once you get the hang of it with Stage 4's boss and Stage 5 being the only sticking points that can screw you over with RNG.

Also if you aren't playing the game on hard you are missing out on extras from the arcade game :)

Also the megadrive version is some ways is tougher than the arcade game as the hit boxes are much bigger and less forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The balance on Road Rash 1, 2, 3 and 3DO is spot on. It's the main reason Road Redemption is totally disappointing by comparison.

I always thought the balance was off in the ps1 version of “Road Rash” which i presume has the same gameplay as the 3DO?
    Ive played the PC version also and seems pretty much the same gameplay as the PS1.
    In fact the only thing that impresses me is the awesome intro with soundgardens rusty cage, and the cut scenes about that game.

Instead of having the speed matching mechanic like the mega drive games, i found i was just whizzing past rivals instead of getting into epic battles especially at the front 5 places in the mega drive games.

Despite the digital graphics Road Rash 3 is my most played game out of all of them, it saves your weapons for the next race also which is a great improvement. Track design is more interesting also.

Have to a agree on Road Redemption, too much fighting in the game with normal riders who arent racing against you.

So is this thing even hackable? I bought it on Friday (on impulse) and I'm surprised at how well it's put together, not just from a hardware perspective but from a software one as well.

Each game has it's own little description and can also be region-switched. I also love the way you can switch the views of the menu to either front cover art or spine art.

This begs the question of whether this system is easy to hack or not. The other mini systems don't have as much "character" as this.

TBH, if it can't be hacked, I wouldn't even be mad. It seems to be a perfect package minus a few questionable omissions (no Revenge Of Shinobi, really?)

Anyway. I've came across this page on ModMyClassic.com where it describes a hack for the console in great detail but no download link? Unless I'm missing something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Currently in closed BETA!

The hack hasn't been released yet, there are some demos of it on youtube alright but probably not ready for the great unwashed yet.

Currently in closed BETA!

The hack hasn't been released yet, there are some demos of it on youtube alright but probably not ready for the great unwashed yet.

Ah I knew I missed a detail somewhere. Not a bother at all. I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wonder if we can expect these to drop in price in a few months. Would love to get one but preferably under €50. The GF is asking what I want for my birthday in February so I suppose I could throw that on the list of ideas.

The PlayStation Classic will stay on ROM duty for now :D

Ah I knew I missed a detail somewhere. Not a bother at all. I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

There's a video of it up by Restalgia on the previous page - Project Lunar. I think that's the main one at the moment. You'll be able to load the stock UI, it will search for cover art, and be able to overclock the machine.....or CPU? Not very technical myself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I've beaten it.

It's not too bad once you get the hang of it with Stage 4's boss and Stage 5 being the only sticking points that can screw you over with RNG.

Also if you aren't playing the game on hard you are missing out on extras from the arcade game :)

Also the megadrive version is some ways is tougher than the arcade game as the hit boxes are much bigger and less forgiving.

Agreed, Ghouls and ghost is not too bad, I finished it twice(as you have to in order to get the true ending) back in the day after a rental, good stuff. I actually find Super G&G harder and have not finished it but maybe I was better at games when I was younger.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is wonderboy in Monster land on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

It's awesome - I have all the mini consoles released to date but nothing matched playing Sonic 2 on it last night - controller is exactly how I remember - can't wait for project lunar just so I can play Mercs and Speedball 2 on it - also Terminator just for the sound track - I don't remember it being a brill game but I had gone from a C64 to a Megadrive and it was one of the first games I bought - so the megadrive was a huge step up for me - still love my trusty C64 but the step up to new hard ware was night and day back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Limpy wrote: »
    Is wonderboy in Monster land on it?

It sure is....

Mine was under the tree yesterday, have been enjoying Darius and Tetris mostly. I forgot how good Eternal Champions was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The Mrs picked one up for me, shame the controllers are only the 3 button variants, SF2 is a bit crap because of it, can only punch, maybe its configurable but still missing lots of moves, might look at getting 6 button controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The Mrs picked one up for me, shame the controllers are only the 3 button variants, SF2 is a bit crap because of it, can only punch, maybe its configurable but still missing lots of moves, might look at getting 6 button controllers.

Press start during gameplay to toggle punches/kicks

Advertisement