Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Debenhams?

Options
  • 04-04-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

So as the title says is this end of of Debenhams? Looking like going into administration come early next week according to news and papers. Just wondering will that be them gone or will they soldier on for a while? Have stuff ordered with them due next week so hopefully I get them. But it is a store I have always liked and hope it can carry on but highly doubtful. So what is your thoughts on it? Gone in the next few days or keep going on for a while or some miracle it survives and gets stronger? Or will this be one of the first massive store closures from Covid19? I know probably just last mail in it's coffin from it. Apologise if in wrong section as never posted much in boards before. Long time reader not poster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So as the title says is this end of of Debenhams? Looking like going into administration come early next week according to news and papers. Just wondering will that be them gone or will they soldier on for a while? Have stuff ordered with them due next week so hopefully I get them. But it is a store I have always liked and hope it can carry on but highly doubtful. So what is your thoughts on it? Gone in the next few days or keep going on for a while or some miracle it survives and gets stronger? Or will this be one of the first massive store closures from Covid19? I know probably just last mail in it's coffin from it. Apologise if in wrong section as never posted much in boards before. Long time reader not poster.

The first of many I'd say, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’d be surprised if you don’t get your order, and they will indeed try to soldier on, probably big job losses and further non performing store closures down the road and a move to a more online model. It depends on how much leeway their creditors give and how credible their plan is going forward.

Tough tough road ahead for the high street generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, I'd be a bit sickened if Debenhams goes too (although it's an almost certainty at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

To answer your question ,Yes I think its the end, cant see them re-opening.

Since they bought over the Roches Stores group in 2005 they never had the same foot fall or trade sales compared to Roches Stores. customer service was poor and the shop was in dis-array in its layout, my Mrs always preferred to shop in Marks and Sparks on Henry Street over Debenhams on Henry Street. The clothes were outdated and they were old fashioned.

They never converted the Roches Stores customer over and they lost their mark on Henry Street with such a large building with little or no customers.

The mens section in the basement was sh1te , rails and rails of clothes shipped in from India or Bangladesh.

Its been a long time coming, they have been in trouble for a few years, cash flow is poor and they had to many concession units inside the store.

Very good article here by The Guardian UK last year about the group.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/13/debenhams-problem-not-just-indebted-dull-too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the market is profitable either they or someone else will set up and fill the need.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    If the market is profitable either they or someone else will set up and fill the need.

This, they still have a lot of revenue, creditors are well aware that if they close the door nobody gets their money back. Their best hope is probably a buy out / rescue along with a settlement with creditors. Haven't been following it that closely but closing up is absolutely the last resort in these cases, only when it’s clear that there is no hope of ever repaying the debt or continuing as a going concern. They are not at that stage (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bring back Roches Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If Debenhams is still online, wont there still be a need for staff in Ireland to process orders and collect them from the warehouse? I appreciate this wont help most of the people working in the stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Be a huge empty space on Henry street that's for sure if it goes. Will look really bad. Yeah maybe it might move to online only. I say it is doing well this way as one of the few places at moment doing online shopping but saying that order in last week and just says sent to supplier even tho says on email due this Friday so maybe they aren't sending things through as they are afraid Debenhams won't pay up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If Debenhams is still online, wont there still be a need for staff in Ireland to process orders and collect them from the warehouse? I appreciate this wont help most of the people working in the stores.
    everything ships from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

It has to be the end of them, they were in trouble before the pandemic, I heard New Look and Topshop will be very very lucky to get through this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pity found their mend clothing some of the best out their for the money and proper sizes too.

Feel terribly bad for staff....

Zara not in Debenhams as well on Henry st attached into the store? Will that go? Also is Debenhams Ireland a separate entity to Debenhams UK? If so does it be in profit in Ireland and not in the UK?

Zara not in Debenhams as well on Henry st attached into the store? Will that go? Also is Debenhams Ireland a separate entity to Debenhams UK? If so does it be in profit in Ireland and not in the UK?

There is no suggestion that the Irish stores will close (unless already marked for closure).

Having looked it up the UK situation is a voluntary administration to give them time to negotiate with creditors and agree a funding package between the owners. They are not closing the business, although they are / were rolling out a targeted store closure programme in the UK anyway, planning to keep just over 100 stores. They seem to be fairly sure they’ll get a deal done to keep going.

Yeah was this they might keep going for how long tho is another thing but hopefully they can pull through. I like the shop and I wouldn't want people to lose their jobs. Just as their huge stores over here would like really bad with them closed and boarded up. Can't imagine Henry street shop turning into another huge shop, would have to be sub let into minor shops for the size of it and let's be honest I think there are enough Penny's in town.

Yeah was this they might keep going for how long tho is another thing but hopefully they can pull through. I like the shop and I wouldn't want people to lose their jobs. Just as their huge stores over here would like really bad with them closed and boarded up. Can't imagine Henry street shop turning into another huge shop, would have to be sub let into minor shops for the size of it and let's be honest I think there are enough Penny's in town.

With Covid19 now anything is possible, any business that was struggling already could find that this is that straw that breaks the camels back.

They did an interesting Panorama programme on the BBC a few months ago that looked at the town centres in the UK where a lot of Debenhams and other retailers are already closed leaving huge empty buildings everywhere. In some cases left derelict, some were being turned in to hotels and apartments or leisure facilities etc. The government there are spending billions to try to tackle it and the innovation shown by some of the local authorities was really impressive while others were shrugging their shoulders and looking the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭carrickbawn

I put an order in on the 2nd and it was due for delivery today.
    No dispatch email and no delivery.
    When I track the order they are telling me how to return and get refund.
    Really weird. Can’t even send a message to them. Even if I can’t get my order I want my money back.

Well that's Debenhams Ireland gone. Poor staff. I still had some orders to come from them. Wonder will they be done and still sent as I think someone said that the stuff comes from the UK or you reckon that's tough luck there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well that's Debenhams Ireland gone. Poor staff. I still had some orders to come from them. Wonder will they be done and still sent as I think someone said that the stuff comes from the UK or you reckon that's tough luck there?

Website says there online is still operating but it may not have been updated yet! I have an order with them too - was getting rid of vouchers I had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Really weird. Can’t even send a message to them. Even if I can’t get my order I want my money back.

I placed an order on the 3rd. One item arrived the other day, and I got an email on the 6th saying the rest had been dispatched. So fingers crossed it'll arrive!

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Website says there online is still operating but it may not have been updated yet! I have an order with them too - was getting rid of vouchers I had

That's what I'm thinking. Mine had saying order to supplier but was like that for a week now so doesn't even look like it was processed. Even tho money taken out. Hopefully we all get them be more if the UK Debenhams goes but may not for a while longer and hopefully we get our stuff posted out.

Some things were sent out of my orders got 3 emails two sent on Tuesday saying dispatched so hopefully get those 2. Other one due to arrive yesterday but never got it as usually get nightline delivery email saying on way so not sure there as got Debenhams dispatch email for that one last week. Had 2 sets of clothes to come still and only ordered a toy last night for kids so not sure on all of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Sorry to see Debenhams pull out thought they stocked decent enough clothes maby for slightly older customers generally did not see many younger people in there .Most of the shops in blanchardstown seem to be geared to young customers so Debenhams was good for us slightly older buyers bought a couple of suits there and they worked out well .

They were saying Ireland was unaffected a few day’s ago and now this. I wonder where the liquidators will dispose of the stock

Probably send it back to the UK stores or up to the newry and Belfast stores. I presume they are staying open and just stores down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Sorry to see Debenhams pull out thought they stocked decent enough clothes maby for slightly older customers generally did not see many younger people in there .Most of the shops in blanchardstown seem to be geared to young customers so Debenhams was good for us slightly older buyers bought a couple of suits there and they worked out well .

Sad but not really surprised at all - they've had problems for years with debt and tenancy agreements etc.

Plus I'm not sure if they knew who their customer was. I think you're right that in reality they had a lot of older customers but they seems to try to aim at the younger market too especially with their concessions in the beauty hall etc. They were neither high end nor low end. They didnt really have much of an identity.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Sad but not really surprised at all - they've had problems for years with debt and tenancy agreements etc.

Plus I'm not sure if they knew who their customer was. I think you're right that in reality they had a lot of older customers but they seems to try to aim at the younger market too especially with their concessions in the beauty hall etc. They were neither high end nor low end. They didnt really have much of an identity.

Just reading on rte that some Irish stores might have a future so maybe not all of them will close and people still can buy online from them. Be nice if one or two stayed open in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Feel so sorry for the staff. Similar to clerys some would have worked there 20+ years if not alot longer.

Pretty much told on an email this morning that the the shutters were staying down, thanks for your service and best of luck evening after saying thta the UK operations were going into administration and the irish arm was unaffected.

I knew myself they were in trouble but I feel they have used this crisis as a perfect oportunity to burn their staff too who will now only be entitled to statutory rednudancy.

Strange that they have anounced the store closures but in another breath mention they are still trading online. debenhams.ie????

still in existance/gone out of existance?

Strange one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Pity found their mend clothing some of the best out their for the money and proper sizes too.

Feel terribly bad for staff....

Endorse that .
    Sad to see them go and of course for the staff who'll find it hard to find similar jobs in a contracting sector.Their stuff seemed to suit me well and they had great bargain racks. Such is life -nothing lasts forever.

Advertisement