Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If they found "the gene" would you have it modified ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hobart...

I understand where you're coming from. I just think it's a bit sad that people think this way.

Kids with red hair have a harder time growing up than kids with dark hair. Would you change the genetic coding for your child's hair in the womb?

Our society is enriched by diversity. Genetic manipulation can be used to cure disease and deformity; it should never be used to destroy diversity. If this technology was available to people, it wouldn't take Adolf Hitler to breed a master race of blond haired, blue eyed, six foot tall supermen. Well-meaning parents would do it, each one wishing only the best for their own child, each one not seeing the bigger picture of what they were doing to our race.

I also genuinely believe that the love a parent feels for a child is strengthened by the difficulties it faces. If you can custom-build a perfect child, will you really love it as much as an imperfect child - a child with red hair, a child with a lazy eye, a child with a stutter, a child who reaches puberty and discovers that they're gay or that they don't agree with your religion or that they want to be a musician rather than a barrister? I believe that parenthood and childhood alike would be cheapened by the choice to remove the rough and take only the smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Shinji,

And I perfectly understand what you are saying. You have to appreciate that I am new to this whole parenthood thing. Now I do not want to get off the subject but when I had my first child, 4 years ago, I could not contemplate the impact that this little ledgend would have on my life. Litteraly my world revolves around her. It's as simple as that. The same goes for my 2 year old son.

So while I appreciate exactly where you are coming form, and in fact probably in a totally ridiculous way agree with you, I still feel that way. It's very hard for me to percieve what, if anything, a Gay/BI/Lesbian person goes through when they are growing up etc.. I can only see it from the nice comfortable straight perspective. And I do not deny that my perspective has flaws. I am a total hyprocrite when it comes to these issues TBH. Again no offence intended but when talking about various friends when the subject of A Gay friend comes up in company I nearly always, at some point in the conversation, end up saying something like "I no problems with him being gay". What an absoloutely ridicuklous thing to say. But I just can't seem to help my self sometimes. Now I don't say, for example, "I have no problem with him havig red hair".

On the wider perspective of Gay rights etc... I find myself thinking that all people regardless of thier sexuality should be treated the same way, while in the forefront of my mind thinking thank f**k I'm not gay. Now i never say thank f**k I don't have red hair or a lazy eye or a stammer. Because maybe I see those things as 'fixable ' if I had them or my children had them.

Again no offence to anybody intended. I am trying to put this into words the best way I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

And I did not know we knew so much about KY JELLY but you keep up the good work aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Shinji

I also genuinely believe that the love a parent feels for a child is strengthened by the difficulties it faces. If you can custom-build a perfect child, will you really love it as much as an imperfect child - a child with red hair, a child with a lazy eye, .....I believe that parenthood and childhood alike would be cheapened by the choice to remove the rough and take only the smooth.

Have to disagree with you there Shinjii. Surely a parent will love their child no matter what. You seem to be implying that a parent will give more love to its child if it has an imperfection ? If I had a choice to remove my childs stutter or lazy eye I would. I would class these as imperfections. I would not class my homosexuality as such though.

I wouldn't really class growing up with a lazy eye or a stutter as some sort of life experience, growing up with these fixed does not cheapen your childhood imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i was just wondering there at what Yellum stated about "turning down hot chicks"

im not gay but i thought gay people have no urges or anything for the opposite sex.. i dunno
    just the way he said it was like he was bi or sometihng( no offence intended)

was just wondering.

cart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Just because you acknowledge someone is hot, doesn't mean you're attracted to them.

Originally posted by Cartman
    i was just wondering there at what Yellum stated about "turning down hot chicks"

im not gay but i thought gay people have no urges or anything for the opposite sex.. i dunno
    just the way he said it was like he was bi or sometihng( no offence intended)

Lol , no offence taken. A hot chick is a thing of beauty no ? Many people can appreciate things of beauty without being sexually attracted to them. Think about all those hot chicks out there and who their stylists are - gay men. They appreciate things of beauty and make them look hotter.

Same goes with Hetero guys, some of my friends will comment on how hot a guy is, but they are not gay. They can just comment while still feeling secure about their sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

bump......

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

I havn't read the whole thread yet but according to the book Genome by Matt Ridley they found it years ago ,the interesting thing was that he seemed to thinks the gene came from the mothers side ,and that in most cases studied an uncle of the gay person on the mothers side way also gay ,

Macker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

jesus.. what a crazy discussion!

its an interesting idea, but really, you should be proud what you are.

Pink and Proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gargamel

Let's face it lads, gay people subvert the biological imperative of pro-creation and the social imperative of the family unit and are therefore ultimately abhorrent to nature... :D nah seriously though, I think that eventually when things level out the focus in relationships will be less on gender and more on the individuals involved. The scene and it's negative connotations will become easier to avoid because this kind of apartheid (hopefully) won't be necessary! To quote a wise woman, it's about 'people who need people' :p the discrimination end of things will never get sorted if we're all popping pills to become part of an oppresive majority. Maybe it'd be easier, but it wouldn't be us. Anyway given the choice I'd rather explore my own potential in life than push a buggy, so for me being gay has it's built in advantages in that sense. :D

So thats a no then ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gargamel

Don't get me wrong, blokes wreck my head, but I'm stayin' on the dark side, I just wouldn't give the God Squad the satisfaction of giving in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

just a few minutes ago poontang was blocked from this board cos he expressed an opinion about this issue. what a joke do ye only want to hear opinions if they agree with you, instead of banning him why didnt ye ask him to justify it?? Why set up a thread about blocking genes and not respect his opinion, why not set up a thread saying all homosexuality is great and only allow people who agree post, then ye could all be happy in yere own little world

Our own little world ? Are you sure its so little. We're everywhere now We are your milkmen, your busdrivers, your doctors, your lawyers and your computer network admins.

An insult is not a debate. If he wants to express insults then he is in the wrong forum.

Oh and I really meant it about your network admins. Wave to the camera behind you. We're watching you right now ucc boy.

You do realise that you have to obey this too ?

http://www.ucc.ie/aup.xml

are you threatening me Yellum I dont think I did anything wrong there or is mentioning anything against your wishes wrong I neither gave an opinion for or against the topic and you are implying i violated some of the acceptable usage terms

when you refer to the aup im assume you mean this

use computer or network resources to access or distribute offensive, obscene, abusive, or threatening material;

how have i violated this term or any other term???

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Although I dont want to be putting words into others' mouths and I don't want to drag this off topic even further I have to say to Pep

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=900896#post900896 this thread quoting insulting adjectives for homosexuals was your mate wasn't he? If he was - then the poster did in fact abuse the aup as I see it.

That may have been the case alright Gordan and I agree that he would then be breaking the UCC rules but how did I break the rules how was I insulting by merely saying banning people with disagreeing opinions FROM BOARDS.IE and not UCC was worth the threat 'Were watching you'

from the above link its clear any comment which is openly insulting should be deleted, not one which expresss a different opinion, these should be challenged not ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i didn't want to put words into other peoples mouths but I think i will...

I don't think yellum was referring specifically to *you* but to the poster that had posted insults to be honest. He may have seen *you* as the original poster. But that would be putting words in yellums mouth*.

*ooerr!

• Advertisement

This is the last il say on the matter, as far as Im concerned were all entitled to our opinions even if they insult (but not harm) other people.

I have nothing to do with any of the coments made which were banned neither do I agree with them.

I do not believe I deserved to be threatened, and I think Yellum should really think before he starts threatening users

I read boards regularly but rarely post as normally I only get gibberish replies, and this expierience only strenghtens my opinion so this will be my last post so best of luck with the banning

When I wrote he , I meant "he" your friend.

You was a generalisation, kinda like the you that was mentioned when you typed "your own little world"

Your friend who I referred to as "he" used offensive and insulting language. Thats in the charter of the forum and for the whole website too. Its a no no.

And how is an insult not harm ? How do you define harm ? A physical thing ?

Sorry to see you go, you really were a good poster who contributed a lot to boards and helped to make it a better place.

/me looks for some gathering cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Macker
    they found it years ago

Gay Gene Isolated, Ostracized
    The Onion, Volume 31 Issue 13 — 8 April 1997
    BALTIMORE—On Friday, scientists at Johns Hopkins University isolated the gene which causes homosexuality in human males, promptly separating it from normal, heterosexual genes. "I had suspected that gene was queer for a long time now. There was just something not quite right about it," team leader Dr. Norbert Reynolds said. "It's a good thing we isolated it—I wouldn't want that ****-ass gene messing with the straight ones." Among the factors Reynolds cited as evidence of the gene's gayness were its pinkish hue, meticulously frilly perimeter, and faint but distinct perfume-like odor.

Advertisement