Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If they found "the gene" would you have it modified ?

Options
  • 26-11-2002 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Lets hope this starts some debate:

If they found the "gay gene" and could modify it, would you get it done ?

One operation or chemical treatment and your straight and fancy the opposite sex. Would you get the procedure ?

This in itself is not about if such a thing exists or what defines homsexuality or bisexuality or whatever, just would you prefer to be a straight person ?

Or if you are straight, would you like to try and tweak the gene to make you bi ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I wouldn't have it modified - being gay is part of who I am, and much like I wouldn't get a nose job - I wouldn't tweak my genes to make myself straight again.

There, that'll prompt one hell of a debate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Interesting you should mention it. Last Thursday, after I stumbled to a friends house pished I put on channel 4 where they were discussing research into a potential 'gay' gene. They were conducting research into twins, where they found a close correlation between sexual preferences and the existence of certain genetic 'markers'.

In fact, in the studies conducted, based on the results, it was practically a statistical certainty that being gay was dependant on this genetic marker. Now again, bear in mind that I was not in a position to rationally dissect these arguments at the time, but I found this compelling evidence for the existence of a gene that allows for sexual predispositions.

To answer your question, and to act as a devils advocate, if such a way was found to alter this gene so as to make a person 'straight' then I would probably take it. Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not apologetic for who I am, but it is also an indisputable fact that societal and biological factors mitigate against homosexuals. For example, we have the grey area over whether gays can/should have kids, whether through adoption or by other means i.e intercourse with members of the opposite sex, IVF etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by yellum
    Lets hope this starts some debate:

If they found the "gay gene" and could modify it, would you get it done ?

Hmmmm, it would make sex with men a lot more troublesome, so I'd have to say no ;) . I'd have thought that most adults who've settled into their own personalities, lifestyles and habits would turn it down, unless they're seriously unhappy (in which case it's probably not JUST their sexuality that's causing it). Ask an embryo and s/he might say different. More practically, and this is where it gets REALLY contentious, you'll have to end up asking the parents.

So, (and some might say I'm going off-topic, though I think it's a logical progression) if you were a prospective parent and you had the chance to choose your child's sexuality, what would you do? Would you refuse the choice, or go one way or the other? I can't say what I'd do - I just don't know at the moment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I may not be always happy as I am for whoever many reasons, but I can't see myself being happier any other way.

It may be a cliche, but it has an element of truth - The grass is always greener on the other side....... or so some people think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If they could make me bi I'd take it.

The more choice the better :]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I wouldn't change the gene, but I might change my nose..... :)

Seriously though, there was a time I might have wanted to go str8 but it just wasn't an option. Now, I can't imagine my life any other way, nor would I want to!!

B

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I could take a pill to invert my sexuality back and forth... would I experiment with it?

Hmmm, yeah probably. I like to play with altered mindstates (not particularly/just through the odd smoke :) ). Like Snowboarding really alters my personality for a few hours after I'm finished (and all the time during it) due to the chemicals flying around in there. You consider yourself bulletproof (quite dangerous actually as you start to do things that could kill you!).

So yeah, I think I would. (Watch the number of people who will now think I'm gay :) )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've always been really attracted by the science fiction concept of resleeving; the ability to switch your body as easily as you change your clothes, or the ability to change your gender at will (like in Iain M Banks' Culture novels).

So yeah, I'd use a pill to switch my sexuality, and my gender if possible. But only if there was a way to flick it back and forth, rather than making a final decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Ask an embryo and s/he might say different. More practically, and this is where it gets REALLY contentious, you'll have to end up asking the parents.

Scary point about the parents. Personally speaking, I'd have to say no, no way would I take the pill or change the gene . I've invested too much time and effort in being a happy homosexual :-) Just like atgate, I can't see myself any other way now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

While being straight in this modern world is less complicated (generally) I'm happy with what I am. I'd get the bi gene though and enjoy both worlds. I feel guilty turning down so many hot women all the time, this way I won't have too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by yellum
    While being straight in this modern world is less complicated ......

not so sure about that. maybe when i was 20ish i'd have said that. but now that i'm not 20ish i look at my str8 friends with their complicated lives, separations, divorces, and all the other encumbrances and baggage, versus cheerful content me and my current partner, i'm not so sure at all. my life looks much more straight (!) forward and less complicated. and i know i am a hell of a lot more content.
    If they found "the gene" would you have it modified ?
    No I would not. I'm grand as I am. Though I might be tempted to pop it in a bottle for a rainy day, or a day when it stopped "raining men"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I suppose i am a bit curious, its certainly not somthing i'd try in my current mindset, but if it was just a matter of poping a pill i suppose i'd try it ... for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

definetly not, but it could be possible to screen all future babies if they find it, and impliment a change while the baby is still developing.

Plus some parts of a women's body are just iiicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by STaN

Plus some parts of a women's body are just iiicky

Try saying that with a hard on for them...hehe
    I dont need the cherno mod, happy where i am for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Just when that last friend who struggled against the fact has finally accepted it (or in my experience, actually come out themselves) you'd have to go tell them all you were straight.
    It'd be like being David Bowie or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Interesting....I was told by a friend of mine who's studying Human Genetics in TCD that some students had to engineer gay mice.

Surely that takes away from the nature-nurture theory in biology and brings it right down to genes.

Unfortunately I don't know any more about the experiment other than the fact that it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

any research i've heard on the subject referred to a faulty gene on the X chromosone which affects the size of the hypothalamus and from there the ability to feel attraction towards females. Apparently gay men and women have the same size hypothalamus.
    Of course being carried on the X-chromosone means that it has to be passed from the mother's side of the family, so there's a great Freudian appeal in that - getting to put the blame on your mother !!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no.
    im quite happy being hetro-sexual thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Might be interesting to 'cross over' for a while but no, i'm happy the way I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by kaids
    Might be interesting to 'cross over' for a while but no, i'm happy the way I am.

So you'd cross over and actually date girls for a while? Cool.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

heh, never even entered my mind that some1 might like to try the whole gay thing for a day.... interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm happy as a hetro-sexual (If a little under-sexed at the moment ;) ).

I'd really have to wonder what would happen if parents were told the sexuality of their children at birth based on a gene marker and given the choice to change it.

Also theres the issue of people perhaps tampering with others genetic sexual disposition.

There is one other question:

Is there a set of bi-sexuality gene markers????

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by logic1
    So you'd cross over and actually date girls for a while? Cool.

.logic.

Might be interesting, ja.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Might have done a few year ago if given the choice but not now... I like me just the way ah am :)

That bein said, a pill to change back and forth could b a bit of a laff..I'd give that one a bit o thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

The parental choice issue is interesting...

I can see obvious arguments for parents choosing to have gay children (not saying I agree with them!)
    But are there any circumstances you could see straight parents choosing to make their children gay?

If your parents had chosen to make you gay would you be angry/thankful/whatever?

It's an interesting issue I think - any opinions?

p.s. it occurs it'd most likely cut down on the risk of your son/daughter getting pregnant accidentally...

But are there any circumstances you could see straight parents choosing to make their children gay?

You never know, some fathers might really not want their daughters getting pregnant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I think there is an inherent risk about all this 'if you could take the pill for one day' stuff....you may never come back...

Think about it....in the current natural sexual state a person is in wants to try out the pill for one day and one day only....

That person does it......likes it entirely due to the pill and then changes his altered mind never to go back...

The original person before the state-change has lost their personality for good.....

yeah it's like the old argument where gay guys say "i wouldn't want to be straight because I prefer men" and straight guys say "i wouldn't like to be gay because I prefer women"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Ok. Here's my 2c worth. A few facts first:

1) I am straight hetro male

2) Married with 2 wonderful kids

3) Have no hangups about people being straight/gay/bi as long as they are happy and they are not intentionally hurting anyone.

As a parent if I was told during the embriotic stage that my son/daughter had the 'Gay Gene' and that my wife could take a a pill to make them hetro-sexual I would encourage her to take it. My main reason for this would be for their sake. My view, probably somewhat incorrect or naive, is that straight males/females have a hard enough time growing up, going through puberty etc.... I could only imagine how much harder that would be if they were attracted to somebody of thier own sex and did not fit into the current accepted 'norm' . Again I have no experience of this it's just my take on it.

Secondly. I know two or three gay men. 2 of the guy I would describe as quite outward going and could not give a flying f**k about what people thought of thier sexuality. One guy is quite introverted. Now I am sure he is quite happy and comfortable with his sexuality but, how can I put it, he is a target for bullies. He is an easy target, simple as that. Now I am not saying that his life is a living misery, but he sometimes gets a hard time and I would hate for my kids to go through that.

Again being straight I have found it easy to meet and get on with the opposite sex. I have been quite content with the many girls I have met throughout the years and I have allways been happier when in good company. I would hate that my children would be 'ostrasised' from any groups because of thier sexuality.

Lastly I have put this the best way I can and I hope I did not offend anybody.

Advertisement