Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Culchie young wans aping the D4 accent

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Ush1 wrote: »
    My missus is from Cork and we live in Dublin. Her cousin moved up from Cork to Dublin and is working in UCD and like clockwork, has got the faux D4 accent now. Prime candidate to be fair, mad into Instagram and the like.
    Pathetic stuff. It's even worse when it's someone from somewhere with a distinct accent like Cork. Someone from a non entity county like Wicklow developing a D4 accent, it practically is Dublin at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

GAA Beo wrote: »
    The biggest "D4" snobs you'll ever meet are younger country women trying their best to hide their culchie roots and ascend social class into the D4 life. Which is why you will find many of them at or graduated from UCD or Trinners.

I have literally lost count of the amount arrogant D4 tools I've seen on RTE or Virgin Media, only to find when I googled them they were born and reared in Offaly, Cork or Mayo etc. Give me someone like David Norris any day. He is what he is and doesn't hide it. I actually like his accent, it was preferable to this California wannabe nonsense we must now endure.

Agree with you, it’s gas on Saturday night in the pubs the young and the yummy mummies with the posh accents and after a couple of glasses of the vino or a couple of bottles of copper tops, the town or the bog accent is back in full flow.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Agree with you, it’s gas on Saturday night in the pubs the young and the yummy mummies with the posh accents and after a couple of glasses of the vino or a couple of bottles of copper tops, the town or the bog accent is back in full flow.
    Indeed it can disappear after a few drinks, while talking to their aul lad or back in their hometown. Funny that, guess it's hard to keep up the charade all the time....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

I lived in Dublin (from Mayo)and my accent neutralised, But you'd know i wasn't from Dublin and I certainly did not speak like a Dub.

But what is worse is in Galway City(where I live), where some areas perceived to be "posh" (Salthill,Barna) have a G4 accent.

This accent is a hybrid of the D4 accent but, Like a localised regional version but it has serious similarities.I've noticed its comes from the younger demographic not from older people.(I'm 25)

I'm sure there is something similar going on in Limerick/Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

GAA Beo wrote: »
    I never said he did, just that it is preferable to the D4 monstrosity that we hear today. Eoghan Murphy the (failed) Housing minister is another that has that absurd accent.

Correct and agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I lived in Dublin (from Mayo)and my accent neutralised, But you'd know i wasn't from Dublin and I certainly did not speak like a Dub.

My accent neutralised is just another way of saying "when I moved to Dublin I sold out"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My favourite is the Northside 'valley girl' spitting out 'like' like a bloody machine gun. The culprit usually being in receipt of a UCD education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sorry but I fail to see analogy.
    It was in relation to David Norris' accent.

It was pointed out that David Norris' accent was posh. Malcom MacArthur, who had a similar kind of accent, had his described, by those who were seeking him for a murder, and who therefore would have had to be as accurate as possible, as "Upper-Class Dublin to English".

And what is an Upper-Class Dublin accent only a bastardisation of an Upper-Class English accent (and it's not just the Irish who do this - the Upper-Class Scots are the same).

And what is a D4 accent only a bastardisation of an American accent, caused by young children watching too many American television programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

neris wrote: »
    I blame Ross oCarroll kelly

He wasn’t from D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

salmocab wrote: »
    The words use and meaning has moved on, it’s no big deal.
    We’re not that bothered about the issues you have with us so you probably shouldn’t let it worry you.
    Even the Jackeens thing has moved on with the like of the footballers being referred to as the Jacks and the ladies footballers as the Jackie’s. The language and it’s use evolves. Just like the N word has for lots of black Americans. I doubt too many people from outside Dublin are actually insulted by the word culchie. I know people who have say a brother married and living in places like Naas who refer to their nephews and nieces as the culchie cousins.

That's not the way it works though. If someone wants to really annoy a Dubliner they don't call him a "jackeen", they call Dublin a kip and then you often get the usual culchie/bogger/mullah name-calling in response, and it works the other way as well. You only have to look at the response an Irish non-Dubliner calling Dublin a kip gets on the After Hours sub-forum if you don't believe me - I'm sure it would be similar in this sub-forum.

Why defend or propagate the use of culchie as a label for your compatriots. You're well aware it's a synonym for an unsophisticated rural dweller; you only have to do a Google image search to see what I mean, so why use it as a generic term for non-Dubliners? It only engenders division and a 'them and us' mentality.

People from other capitals may use local synonyms of culchie such as rednecks, wolly-backs, hillbillies etc. to refer to the people outside the capital but most (ttbomk) don't use those terms to define those people - that's not normal.

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »
    That's not the way it works though. If someone wants to really annoy a Dubliner they don't call him a "jackeen", they call Dublin a kip and then you often get the usual culchie/bogger/mullah name-calling in response, and it works the other way as well. You only have to look at the response an Irish non-Dubliner calling Dublin a kip gets on the After Hours sub-forum if you don't believe me - I'm sure it would be similar in this sub-forum.

Why defend or propagate the use of culchie as a label for your compatriots. You're well aware it's a synonym for an unsophisticated rural dweller; you only have to do a Google image search to see what I mean, so why use it as a generic term for non-Dubliners? It only engenders division and a 'them and us' mentality.

People from other capitals may use local synonyms of culchie such as rednecks, wolly-backs, hillbillies etc. to refer to the people outside the capital but most (ttbomk) don't use those terms to define those people - that's not normal.

Well I really think your overthinking this, I’d also argue that your last paragraph is nonsense those phrases are used in pretty much the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Someone is a bit too sensitive.
    My wife is a culchie and are all her family and proud of it.
    When I lived down there I joined the local football team and the lads all called me a blow in, a dub, a jackeen..there was no malice in it.
    Anyway the most important thing is I got back here in time so my kids are Dubs

Well I really think your overthinking this, I’d also argue that your last paragraph is nonsense those phrases are used in pretty much the same way.

To clarify, someone from a capital may occasionally refer to people outside the capital as rednecks, bumpkins etc., but for example, a redneck is not defined as everyone outside Washington or a bumpkin as everyone outside London etc. However, some Dubliners define a culchie as any Irish person from outside Dublin, and that's not normal for a capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

magentis wrote: »
    Not one person from Cork would ever pretend to be from d4....ever.......

My social climbing next door neighbour did. Pure Cork with a very pronounced SCD accent. Dropped back to Cork when she was excited though.

To clarify, someone from a capital may occasionally refer to people outside the capital as rednecks, bumpkins etc., but for example, a redneck is not defined as everyone outside Washington or a bumpkin as everyone outside London etc. However, some Dubliners define a culchie as any Irish person from outside Dublin, and that's not normal for a capital.

Again your really overthinking this.

Someone is a bit too sensitive.
    My wife is a culchie and are all her family and proud of it.
    When I lived down there I joined the local football team and the lads all called me a blow in, a dub, a jackeen..there was no malice in it.
    Anyway the most important thing is I got back here in time so my kids are Dubs

I'm well aware some people call themselves culchies, some may do it ironically and some straight-up and be proud of it as you said but that doesn't apply to everyone outside Dublin. If you really feel the need to lump everyone outside Dublin into one category then I suggest you use a label that isn't also a synonym for a country bumpkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

[Citation needed]

Two sources.

1. Askmebollix.com, and
    2. AskYerOwlOne.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

DS86DS wrote:
    WTF is up with this... I've noticed it more and more. Young women from the back of beyond down somewhere around Connemara.....they get a place on a UCD course, and all of a sudden the Healy Rae native dialects are dropped for a voiceover that would give Harry Enfield's 'Tim-nice-but-dim" character a run for his money.

Healy Rae don't have a Connemara accent. I can understand someone from connemara but struggle with Healy nonsense

It's not uncommon for young people to pick up accents in a short amount of time. Dubs can pick up accents that aren't Dublin accents and vice versa. I know a Cork girl that picked up a Belfast accent when she was in Queens college, I've seen plenty of young people come back from Australia with an accent.

It's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Gatekeeping much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

John_Rambo wrote:
    It's not uncommon for young people to pick up accents in a short amount of time. Dubs can pick up accents that aren't Dublin accents and vice versa. I know a Cork girl that picked up a Belfast accent when she was in Queens college, I've seen plenty of young people come back from Australia with an accent.

I love the foreigners talking in their natural accent but with the odd word a real Dublin accent. When they say the f word it's usually a real fuuuk with a strong Dublin accent just on the swear word

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

John_Rambo wrote: »

I've seen this aswell and to be honest I never got it. There's something in there about how a person wants to fit in and how they see their identity. So perhaps it happens naturally. But for those putting it on, there's something a bit weird about it.

I've never lost my Limerick accent but my children have picked up the Dublin accent. Accents are a strange thing in Ireland. So many for a small island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I encountered a D4 type putting on a weird "country" accent. It was as bad a Mockney accents in England.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I encountered a D4 type putting on a weird "country" accent. It was as bad a Mockney accents in England.

I have too. Mind you, I've been known to tell people I'm from Wexford or other counties when going to view second hand cars being sold privately because of wariness and distrust regarding Dublin people. I don't have a strong accent. Never did. Neither do my folks.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I love the foreigners talking in their natural accent but with the odd word a real Dublin accent. When they say the f word it's usually a real fuuuk with a strong Dublin accent just on the swear word

A Polish pal of mine is an actor and on his acting resume it says he speaks fluent Polish, German and English with a Dublin accent.

myshirt wrote: »
    Two sources.

1. Askmebollix.com, and
    2. AskYerOwlOne.ie

It's actually AskYerAulOne.org

Are you even a culchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Yeh. Accents are fascinating. They're more fluid than languages, and they reflect and contribute to social structures. Unfortunately they're also an easy target for stereotyping and easy pot-shots, especially towards young or marginalised persons. It's completely normal for people to use different accents in different social situations, to pick up new ones and to drop old ones. None of this is good or bad human behaviour, it's what all of us do whether we're aware of it or not. What is interesting is when people take offence at use of certain accents or changes to them. This says way more about the persons taking offence than it does to the persons speaking in a certain way because they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm well aware some people call themselves culchies, some may do it ironically and some straight-up and be proud of it as you said but that doesn't apply to everyone outside Dublin. If you really feel the need to lump everyone outside Dublin into one category then I suggest you use a label that isn't also a synonym for a country bumpkin.

Get up the yard, yer all culchies to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have too. Mind you, I've been known to tell people I'm from Wexford or other counties when going to view second hand cars being sold privately because of wariness and distrust regarding Dublin people. I don't have a strong accent. Never did. Neither do my folks.

Huh? So you pretend you're from Wexford when buying a car in Dublin from a Dub because they mistrust other Dubs?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Huh? So you pretend you're from Wexford when buying a car in Dublin from a Dub because they mistrust other Dubs?

No, you misread my post. Read it again, and if you still don’t understand it like everyone else I’ll go in to further detail for you.

Advertisement