Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchie young wans aping the D4 accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

This is the Dublin City subforum. Google isn't the authority and the OED hasn't exactly got it's finger on the pulse of Dublin slang. Pat Rafter yeah

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

The biggest "D4" snobs you'll ever meet are younger country women trying their best to hide their culchie roots and ascend social class into the D4 life. Which is why you will find many of them at or graduated from UCD or Trinners.

I have literally lost count of the amount arrogant D4 tools I've seen on RTE or Virgin Media, only to find when I googled them they were born and reared in Offaly, Cork or Mayo etc. Give me someone like David Norris any day. He is what he is and doesn't hide it. I actually like his accent, it was preferable to this California wannabe nonsense we must now endure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Why in god's name would someone want to put on an accent like that marble in the mouth bollocks, it's the most put on voice and it's now generational, so it's a real accent now.

South Dubliners didn't sound like that in the 60's, where did it come from at all?

Most still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

OP give them girls a break. If they spoke in there native accent around the likes of you their opening themselves up to ridicule also. They try to change their accent and you find a problem with that too. They cant win...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

This is the Dublin City subforum

It's open to people from outside Dublin, many of whom are living in Dublin city. Also, you didn't specify that your definition was an exclusively Dublin city one.
    Google isn't the authority
    Not "the authority" but nonetheless Google uses third party dictionary sources for their definitions.
    OED hasn't exactly got it's finger on the pulse of Dublin slang

No, but it's presenting a general Irish definition as I specified.

Finally, I and many others dislike that term and I have very little time for those who use it to label any group irrespective of where they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

DS86DS wrote: »
    WTF is up with this... I've noticed it more and more. Young women from the back of beyond down somewhere around Connemara.....they get a place on a UCD course, and all of a sudden the Healy Rae native dialects are dropped for a voiceover that would give Harry Enfield's 'Tim-nice-but-dim" character a run for his money.

Was having a cup of coffee earlier and noticed it. Two young wans chattering away. My sense of reasoning told me that these two young ladies where from the posher leafier parts of the Big Smoke.

But not at all.....talk of the home in Mayo come up. A tad confused I was.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my culchies to be humble and to consider a €20 note spent at Supermacs to be the height of sophistication.

What is with this new breed of pretensious culchie and all their airs and graces after a stint with Dublin university life?

So they are faking a fake accent, shock horror.

The history lesson above is pointless. A culchie is any Irish person not from Dublin

I have to laugh at people in Cork city and other cities in Ireland who believe they are not culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Give me someone like David Norris any day. He is what he is and doesn't hide it. I actually like his accent, it was preferable to this California wannabe nonsense we must now endure.
    Except when he tries to do the working class Dub accent. Jesus, that grates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

DS86DS wrote: »

But not at all.....talk of the home in Mayo come up. A tad confused I was.

The Mayo accent isn't anything like, let me think how to put this, as 'rich' as the Kerry accent so I think this might be the source of your confusion.

Anyone else think that the op must’ve been in a coma for 20 years and just came out if it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The biggest "D4" snobs you'll ever meet are younger country women trying their best to hide their culchie roots and ascend social class into the D4 life. Which is why you will find many of them at or graduated from UCD or Trinners.

I have literally lost count of the amount arrogant D4 tools I've seen on RTE or Virgin Media, only to find when I googled them they were born and reared in Offaly, Cork or Mayo etc. Give me someone like David Norris any day. He is what he is and doesn't hide it. I actually like his accent, it was preferable to this California wannabe nonsense we must now endure.

Not one person from Cork would ever pretend to be from d4....ever.......

See what we have down here is worth a million d4's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people in Cork city and other cities in Ireland who believe they are not culchies.

:D Now we're all laughing at Dubs who are the real culchies who think they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Speaking as a long-term culchie transplant, I worked on neutering my accent because none of yiz understood me when I spoke:)

I had a strong Limerick City accent when I came up here 20-odd years ago, and I’m a fast speaker as well. It is tiring having to repeat yourself, and when you are surrounded by a particular accent or language all day, you will pick some of it up, whether you mean to or not.
    If I moved to London, I’d have to get used to ‘alright mate’ and rhyming slang, why would moving to Dublin be any different.

I went on to work in IT support for a few years and I had to speak slowly, neutrally and clearly to customers. Most of my colleagues were foreign and here to improve their English, so I kept the phone voice with them for the most part.

I was never into the culchie circuit of Coppers or McGowans, and a lot of of my uni friends and boyfriends were Dubs. I hardly ever bump into anyone from Limerick up here. So most people don’t know I’m a big aul bogger unless they ask me where I am from. (Not that it matters but most Dubs have at least one culchie parent or grandparent somewhere. God forbid we will taint a Jackeen bloodline! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Give me someone like David Norris any day. He is what he is and doesn't hide it. I actually like his accent, it was preferable to this California wannabe nonsense we must now endure.

David Norris doesn't have a D4 accent. He has a very well spoken or "posh" accent but the D4 accent is different and a recent phenomenon. It seems to have a strong co-relation to the rise in popularity of Rugby in Ireland within the last 20 years, my guess is that it morphed out of the private fee paying schools mainly in Dublin where they try and emulate the English middle to upper classes.

The D4 accent we have today, didn't exist 25 years ago.

myshirt wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourself. And a lot of Dubs embarrass themselves when they use the word culchie not even knowing what it actually means.

What if I told you the most purebred culchies are actually Dubs. Did you know that?

I even had a look at Wikipedia of all places just there, just to make sure I wasn't being too hard on you on your own country's history. Right there at your fingertips, albeit with a couple of inaccuracies. Bit it's your own man Diarmuid Ferriter who can give you the history. So you're either an idiot, or you're not a true Dub yourself if you use it.

The origins of the word has a link to Irish people serveing rich English occupying Ireland. The word was used to mock the Irish for their pronounciation of back of the house "cul an ti", which is how Irish people had to enter an English persons house. Most of these Irish occupied (and still do) what is now the North Inner city but also parts of the South Inner city. A Dublin person is shocked to know that the most
    purebred culchie is actually a Dub. It's correct that later into the development of the word when economic growth began emerging people came from the countryside to Dublin for work, and what developed was that some people got on well in their jobs and tried to disassociate themselves from their fellow Irish. These became known as Jackeens or "Little Jack's" in reference to the Union Jack. Like Roisin means little rose. The lucky Jackeens mostly lived in parts of South County Dublin and along the coast with their English friends, but there was infighting amongst the most ethnically Irish (North Inner City Dubs) and those who "betrayed" their own by taking an extra shilling off the English, and it's on the back of that you still see the terms remain ironically in the people themselves that it was inflicted upon.

I'm from Limerick City by the way, for disclosure. Probably still a culchie in the eyes of a Dub though.

[Citation needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

On an unrelated note, my mother announced recently that she is not a Dub. She was born and raised in Clondalkin, but according to her own crazy rationale only people from the city centre are Dubs. Clondalkin, apparently, is the countryside.

There is no talking to her.

On an unrelated note, my mother announced recently that she is not a Dub. She was born and raised in Clondalkin, but according to her own crazy rationale only people from the city centre are Dubs. Clondalkin, apparently, is the countryside.

There is no talking to her.

I don't consider myself a "Dub" either. I'm from Dublin but that moniker is for people who are into GAA in my twisted mind.

Up the dubs and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

In NI, culchie refers to people from outside Belfast

From Derry and never called a culchie by Belfasters. Have been called a mucker on many occasion, which makes sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I love it when muckers put on posh accents, it gets me going, soooooo sexy. Keep it up girls please.

On a similar note, I watched Saoirse Ronan on the Graham Norton last week. How a girl born in New York, brought up in Carlow via London and a private tutor, speaks like she chews gum on Pearse Street is simply beyond me. You would swear she is an actress or something like that.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I love it when muckers put on posh accents, it gets me going, soooooo sexy. Keep it up girls please.

On a similar note, I watched Saoirse Ronan on the Graham Norton last week. How a girl born in New York, brought up in Carlow via London and a private tutor, speaks like she chews gum on Pearse Street is simply beyond me. You would swear she is an actress or something like that.

She might be like yourself and have some insecurity issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Culchie girl develops D4 accent

I wonder if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

When I moved to Dublin I always thought a culchie was someone outside Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, i.e someone rural rural.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/20/townie-under-the-impression-that-hes-not-a-culchie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

David Norris doesn't have a D4 accent. He has a very well spoken or "posh" accent
    When the murderer Malcolm MacArthur was being sought, his accent was described by Gardaí as:
    Upper-class Dublin to English, possibly English

I'm from Limerick City by the way, for disclosure. Probably still a culchie in the eyes of a Dub though.

Yep.....Limerick city = Culchie. Same goes for Cork, Waterford , Kilkenny etc.

If you're from outside Dublin, you're a culchie. Hell, even some parts of what are now practically considered to be Dublin would qualify....Dunboyne, Leixlip, Carrickmines etc.

Why is that this lady from Monaghan, who moved to America in 1964 to become PA to Jackie Kennedy (JFK's wife), can keep her accent in full 55 years later?

Indeed she had a more high level job than any D4 wannabe. And yet Rachel from Laois sounds like Vogue Williams after a few months in Dublin. Heck some of them sound like that now without ever even living in Dublin.

serfboard wrote: »
    When the murderer Malcolm MacArthur was being sought, his accent was described by Gardaí as:

Sorry but I fail to see analogy.

David Norris doesn't have a D4 accent. He has a very well spoken or "posh" accent but the D4 accent is different and a recent phenomenon. It seems to have a strong co-relation to the rise in popularity of Rugby in Ireland within the last 20 years, my guess is that it morphed out of the private fee paying schools mainly in Dublin where they try and emulate the English middle to upper classes.

The D4 accent we have today, didn't exist 25 years ago.
    I never said he did, just that it is preferable to the D4 monstrosity that we hear today. Eoghan Murphy the (failed) Housing minister is another that has that absurd accent.

What do you call all the Dubs living in Naas, Johnstown Navan, Drogheda, Bray etc cos they can't afford to live in their own county?..........

Dulchies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

magentis wrote: »
    Not one person from Cork would ever pretend to be from d4....ever.......

See what we have down here is worth a million d4's.

My missus is from Cork and we live in Dublin. Her cousin moved up from Cork to Dublin and is working in UCD and like clockwork, has got the faux D4 accent now. Prime candidate to be fair, mad into Instagram and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

I blame Ross oCarroll kelly

Advertisement