Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The fact that he went back to follow you must stand for some sort of reckless or aggressive charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Promise you will put it up here when the legals are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think this incident was reported on here if I remember correctly, the usual "sun in eyes" excuse works again!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/student-doctor-spared-criminal-record-for-hitting-cyclist-1.3797865

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The fact that he went back to follow you must stand for some sort of reckless or aggressive charge.

LOL, if only. More likely the guard will accuse the cyclist of aggressively leaving the scene and provoking the poor innocent motorist.

I reported a dangerous close pass to trafficwatch in early November and never got a response. I thought they were obliged to follow up?

I think this incident was reported on here if I remember correctly, the usual "sun in eyes" excuse works again!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/student-doctor-spared-criminal-record-for-hitting-cyclist-1.3797865

Discussion and a video of the incident over in the journalism thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

benjamin d wrote: »
    LOL, if only. More likely the guard will accuse the cyclist of aggressively leaving the scene and provoking the poor innocent motorist.

I reported a dangerous close pass to trafficwatch in early November and never got a response. I thought they were obliged to follow up?

for the story above reported in the Irish Times, it took over 3 months for me to hear back after initially reporting it to TrafficWatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

a near miss for a motorist overtaking me this morning, nearly drove into the front of an oncoming van, because they were impatient and couldnt wait a few seconds before overtaking me safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

benjamin d wrote: »

You should keep tweeting Garda Traffic requesting an update, after all, that's what they said should be done in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Bizarre morning. I was nearly taken out by two white van drivers. One on Dame Street and one just before Lower Gardiner Street at the Luas tracks there.

In other news though, i passed these two vans that were clamped (another one up closer to Kimmage) this morning. :D

473503.png

XJyemeI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I had two close passes in quick succession this morning when approaching Mount Street bridge from Northumberland Road. I was turning right and took the centre of the left lane in preparation for getting into the right lane. This is a bus lane until you are virtually at the junction. First car skims past me, almost pulling my socks off it felt that close. Car behind tries exactly the same thing (twice) then backs off, eventually coming from behind me in the left lane as I move into the right. I guess they were trying to avoid the cars stopped and waiting to turn right, but a few seconds of impatience is all it takes to wipe someone out..

Second driver tried to introduce himself as he undertook me but I didn't catch it, sounded a bit like "Flanker" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

approaching Mount Street bridge from Northumberland Road. I was turning right

That maneuver is a nightmare. I used to do it everyday until I changed routes. Every second car uses the bus-lane to avoid the queue of right turning cars on the bridge. In the end the only way to get from the Haddington Road lights to the bridge safely is to fully take the bus-lane for its entire length. That wont stop the idiots from swerving into the bus-lane from the traffic lane but at least you can see them in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Bizarre morning. I was nearly taken out by two white van drivers. One on Dame Street and one just before Lower Gardiner Street at the Luas tracks there.

In other news though, i passed these two vans that were clamped (another one up closer to Kimmage) this morning. :D

473503.png

XJyemeI.jpg

A very good thing. I was astonished to turn left from SCR to Clanbrassil St this morning, and not have to veer out into traffic because of one or more lazy van drivers parking right on the corner on double yellow / mandatory cycle-lane.

A very good thing. I was astonished to turn left from SCR to Clanbrassil St this morning, and not have to veer out into traffic because of one or more lazy van drivers parking right on the corner on double yellow / mandatory cycle-lane.

Hopefully they keep clamping people and it wasn't just a one off blitz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That maneuver is a nightmare. I used to do it everyday until I changed routes. Every second car uses the bus-lane to avoid the queue of right turning cars on the bridge. In the end the only way to get from the Haddington Road lights to the bridge safely is to fully take the bus-lane for its entire length. That wont stop the idiots from swerving into the bus-lane from the traffic lane but at least you can see them in front of you.

Every evening I used to have to turn right also citybound off Northumberland road. It was such a nerve racking experience when you were the first in the turn right lane and there were cars hammering along up behind you with some not expecting you to stop in front of them even with my arm out well in advance. Eventually the only safe option was for me to just break the red light to ensure I wasn't going to be top of the queue. Needs must unfortunately. I'd wait for the pedestrians to cross then go. An awful junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Close call this morning with a Dublin Coach - the green buses - on the N7 on the bus lane before it opens out at the Green Isle Hotel, this Dublin Coach attempted to pass me. Although i was not in the middle of the lane i wasn't in the gutter either, so he tried to squeeze into the gap between me and the line of cars in the inside lane. I could have elbowed the bus he was that close. I roared at him and whacked the door, he slowed and i pushed ahead, as i passed the front of his bus i was able to land a blow against the front left side of the bus - the actual front of the bus - this is how close we were.

F@#kin livid

Hopefully they keep clamping people and it wasn't just a one off blitz.

They seem to clamp those parked in cycle-lanes / double yellow lines in Kimmage, sometimes at least. It might just be in the nature of occasional enforcement to ensure people parking adhere to what the signs say. One of those corner / double-yellow / mandatory cycle lane parking vans (the grimy blue one in foreground) belong to someone working on a site / refurb near the corner, so I'll soon learn if I can rely on that mandatory cyclelane near the corner.

Was heading home this morning coming up to the bullring in Drogheda, it's a wide 3 lane road at that point, light was red but it had no traffic waiting and a Bus Eireann coach and a car came from behind me and proceed though as if the light was green.

Doubt either registered the red or the man in the process of crossing at the pedestrian lights on a green man. Had they been in the right lane and not the left that fella was in serious trouble.

I've seen that happen on a couple of occasions there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was heading home this morning coming up to the bullring in Drogheda, it's a wide 3 lane road at that point, light was red but it had no traffic waiting and a Bus Eireann coach and a car came from behind me and proceed though as if the light was green.

Doubt either registered the red or the man in the process of crossing at the pedestrian lights on a green man. Had they been in the right lane and not the left that fella was in serious trouble.

I've seen that happen on a couple of occasions there.

Its so discouraging to see "Professional" pub trans drivers entrusted with 80+ pax's safety to be so reckless.
    https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1096160560780054529

Would love to see the NTA introduce a second offence and you're dismissed rule then start hammering down. No need for this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

I was passing two cyclists who were in the cycle lane on my commute this morning, a couple who looked like they didn't cycle much. anyway I pulled out to the main lane to overtake, and as I was just past them I hear a car horn and a taxi driver squeezes between me and oncoming trafffic. Regrettably, I think I gave the two cyclists a fright with the roar I let out at him. Which was accompanied by large gestures.

He made it to the back of the line at the next traffic lights a good 4-5 seconds faster than might have been the case had he waited for me to pull back in. I caught up with him there and he had a passenger side window open so I told him he was on camera and he could expect a summons for the close pass. He told me there was a cycle lane and I wasn't in it. I asked him to say that again and he did. I thanked him and told him I just wanted to make sure the mike on my camera picked up him admitting that he squeezed past while I was in the ordinary lane and the implication that I deserved it because I wasn't in the cycle lane. He went puce, I told him to enjoy his penalty points and cycled off with a much improved mood. This conversation was all conducted at a higher volume than it reads on this page.

Unfortunately it was all lies and the "camera" was just a front light on my handlebars. He doesn't know that though....

• Advertisement

They seem to clamp those parked in cycle-lanes / double yellow lines in Kimmage, sometimes at least. It might just be in the nature of occasional enforcement to ensure people parking adhere to what the signs say. One of those corner / double-yellow / mandatory cycle lane parking vans (the grimy blue one in foreground) belong to someone working on a site / refurb near the corner, so I'll soon learn if I can rely on that mandatory cyclelane near the corner.

Seemed to be all clear this morning. I spotted the clamping van at Harolds Cross Bridge this morning too. They might be making a regular occurence of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Seemed to be all clear this morning. I spotted the clamping van at Harolds Cross Bridge this morning too. They might be making a regular occurence of it. :D

Interesting. My experience of Harolds cross road this morn approaching the bridge was very different. The first time I have ever seen the bus lane full of vehicles all the way from Harolds cross park/fork to the bridge. Approx 500 metres of illegal vehicles bar one or 2 busses stuck in the middle

Interesting. My experience of Harolds cross road this morn approaching the bridge was very different. The first time I have ever seen the bus lane full of vehicles all the way from Harolds cross park/fork to the bridge. Approx 500 metres of illegal vehicles bar one or 2 busses stuck in the middle

Ah yeah, that's standard. I was referring to parking in the cycle lane around Kimmage and Clanbrassil Street.

The bus lane at Harolds Cross is a free for all in the mornings.

:D

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable, and also a lot of people aren't sensible or considerate. Regular enforcement of the timed cycle lanes in that area is more than overdue. The clamping vans are based in a yard behind the demolished cinema in Harold's X or Terenure, i.e. nearby, so surely it should be straightforward. Hopefully.

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable, and also a lot of people aren't sensible or considerate. Regular enforcement of the timed cycle lanes in that area is more than overdue. The clamping vans are based in a yard behind the demolished cinema in Harold's X or Terenure, i.e. nearby, so surely it should be straightforward. Hopefully.

At the very least they should view it as a handy revenue stream with the side benefit of improving safety for those scoundrels on two wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nice one this evening.

Coming home through the Phoenix park towards Castleknock. Crossing over at the cycle / ped crossing at last roundabout when a car approaches from my left and straddles the crossing.

Bit of a D!ck move, and looked like he knew what he was doing - clocked a quick smug grin from him as I cycled around him. spotted him stuck in traffic at the lights at Castleknock gate - in a bmw estate, so stood out. I’m guessing 10 cars back.

I cycled through the Castleknock gates up the bus lane and headed up towards the village. Who appears on my right but our friend in the BMW who overtook me and immediately left hooked me turning into Georgian village. Nearly had me off the bike.

Anyway I’m sure he got some kick from it was sitting at home thinking “sure taught that clown on the bike”. I’m thinking I’ll replay the rear video and take it to blanch Garda station. WTF is wrong with people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable

Are the clampers still based around there? There used to be a depot on Greenmount avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the clampers still based around there? There used to be a depot on Greenmount avenue.

As above the DSPS pound is behind the former cinema site.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Nice one this evening.

Coming home through the Phoenix park towards Castleknock. Crossing over at the cycle / ped crossing at last roundabout when a car approaches from my left and straddles the crossing.

Bit of a D!ck move, and looked like he knew what he was doing - clocked a quick smug grin from him as I cycled around him. spotted him stuck in traffic at the lights at Castleknock gate - in a bmw estate, so stood out. I’m guessing 10 cars back.

I cycled through the Castleknock gates up the bus lane and headed up towards the village. Who appears on my right but our friend in the BMW who overtook me and immediately left hooked me turning into Georgian village. Nearly had me off the bike.

Anyway I’m sure he got some kick from it was sitting at home thinking “sure taught that clown on the bike”. I’m thinking I’ll replay the rear video and take it to blanch Garda station. WTF is wrong with people?

BMW driver, he probably cannot help it. :pac:

Still, stupid and dangerous of him.

I liked that cinema, a good old style one, just a site now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

At the very least they should view it as a handy revenue stream with the side benefit of improving safety for those scoundrels on two wheels.

It should certainly pay the salary of new staff members recruited solely to patrol cycle lanes. At least for the first 6 months, until people stop doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cycling home this evening and passing a junction, a car feigned to pull out and got a good laugh out of it and then when they passed were shouting out the window at, just flipped the bird at them.

I know i shouldn't have reacted but they were proper gowls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cycling home this evening and passing a junction, a car feigned to pull out and got a good laugh out of it and then when they passed were shouting out the window at, just flipped the bird at them.

I know i shouldn't have reacted but they were proper gowls

OK... Glad someone else brought this up. Is this a "thing" now? Accelerating and braking almost in to the path of the bike to scare cyclists in to traffic? It's happened to me twice. Big sneery face on the driver both times. It's not just me, work colleague (who has an admirable 22k commute) has had the same happen to him a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Usual story at Eden Quay today - no doubt the option to remain behind the cyclist, avoid scaring the pants of them and probably saving themselves a bit of time in the long run never entered their tiny brain.

https://streamable.com/zonnv

Usual story at Eden Quay today - no doubt the option to remain behind the cyclist, avoid scaring the pants of them and probably saving themselves a bit of time in the long run never entered their tiny brain.

That’s on my morning commute. Center of the lane all the way for me to avoid these selfish twats. “Why don’t cyclists use cycle lanes”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Had a guy Rev his engine and tailgate me from star of the sea church sandymount to the junction of serpentine Avenue and trying to overtake me. He was screaming out at me and so I stopped. Apparently I cut him off because I was taking the lane. I invited him to Irishtown Garda station. He declined. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They behave like this because there is no consequence, even if they followed through, which most won't, very little will happen to them. You can go to the Gardai with video evidence and most times it will be ignored. One day though someone will pull out a kryptonite lock and go to town on them, I don't condone it but I won't shed a tear over it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    They behave like this because there is no consequence, even if they followed through, which most won't, very little will happen to them. You can go to the Gardai with video evidence and most times it will be ignored. One day though someone will pull out a kryptonite lock and go to town on them, I don't condone it but I won't shed a tear over it either.

We're pretty allergic to any sort of consequences here in Ireland. We just watching the show on TV3 with Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates and listening to Verona Murphy of the Irish Hauliers Association arguing for learner permit drivers to be allowed to merrily pootle around to work / college etc with no licence and no consequences.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No footage, but a "nice" close pass from a Taxi this morning on the N11 between Brewery Road and Kilmacud Road. I was in the on road section of cycle lane, middle of it, and the taxi decided I still wasn't entitled to even the full width of the cycle lane. Then took exception to being called out on it. Mandatory cycle lane, lights, RBS jacket, helmet, I still must have been doing something to annoy him.

Either that or he was checking his lync app or whatever others they use, while driving, like so many bloody taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

Pinch Flat wrote: »

That’s on my morning commute. Center of the lane all the way for me to avoid these selfish twats. “Why don’t cyclists use cycle lanes”

Sadly even taking the center lane doesn't stop them all. They will often fly across from the right lane as well. I do it every evening and that part coupled with the next section outside custom house where the buses park and take over the left lane (I was hit here by a car trying to squeeze past) are the two parts I am always on extra guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macy0161 wrote: »
    No footage, but a "nice" close pass from a Taxi this morning on the N11 between Brewery Road and Kilmacud Road. I was in the on road section of cycle lane, middle of it, and the taxi decided I still wasn't entitled to even the full width of the cycle lane. Then took exception to being called out on it. Mandatory cycle lane, lights, RBS jacket, helmet, I still must have been doing something to annoy him.

Either that or he was checking his lync app or whatever others they use, while driving, like so many bloody taxi drivers.

I hate that stretch of road, just so vulnerable to vehicles - particularly that god damn Microsoft Executive express bus, when they're empty going towards town they do 80km/hr down that road & it's way too close for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sadly even taking the center lane doesn't stop them all. They will often fly across from the right lane as well. I do it every evening and that part coupled with the next section outside custom house where the buses park and take over the left lane (I was hit here by a car trying to squeeze past) are the two parts I am always on extra guard.

I second that... horrible section

I take the lane there every morning too from where the Luas goes over the bridge to Liberty Hall. I have also nearly been taken out on more than one occasion from cars coming across from right lane too, however its still better than been in the dangerous cycle lane for that part. The buses/coaches blocking custom house quay also happens in the morn but not as much as evening from what I see.

• Advertisement

Coming down here towards the lights here in the lane on the right yesterday evening. I was a bit away from them as they were going from orange to red. I pulled into the cyclists box as they turned red and a gimp in a white BMW roared past me to go right. Fcuking flying it. I'm not sure they even saw me. Very close. I'm lit up like a fuppin Christmas tree.

For some reason my camera didn't record that section. The GoPro only records in 2.1GB sections and that part was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Coming down here towards the lights here in the lane on the right yesterday evening. I was a bit away from them as they were going from orange to red. I pulled into the cyclists box as they turned red and a gimp in a white BMW roared past me to go right. Fcuking flying it. I'm not sure they even saw me. Very close. I'm lit up like a fuppin Christmas tree.

For some reason my camera didn't record that section. The GoPro only records in 2.1GB sections and that part was missing.

These kinda situations are becoming the most dangerous for me lately.
    Approaching a light which is going from green to orange and from orange to red, I am often overtaken by cars/buses/anything accelerating through the junction not to miss the chance.
    It's a real issue lately.

queldy wrote: »
    These kinda situations are becoming the most dangerous for me lately.
    Approaching a light which is going from green to orange and from orange to red, I am often overtaken by cars/buses/anything accelerating through the junction not to miss the chance.
    It's a real issue lately.

Yeah, for sure. I'm afraid someone is going to drive through me in their rush to get to the next set of red traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a guy Rev his engine and tailgate me from star of the sea church sandymount to the junction of serpentine Avenue and trying to overtake me. He was screaming out at me and so I stopped. Apparently I cut him off because I was taking the lane. I invited him to Irishtown Garda station. He declined. :(

Had similar driver follow me through the 30kmh zone in Sandymount the other day. I was in a car and they were tailgating and trying to edge around me constantly till we got to the 50kmh zone where we just joined the normal queue of traffic. I was grand as I was in the car, but there is something not quite right with some fellas. Also, yer man was in a right hand drive car so overtaking was not going to be easy in any event.

This happened to me the other morning in Summerhill, at the junction where the now closed Sunset House is, me heading towards the 5 Lamps. Guy nearly drove into me trying to turn left, was forcing me into the turn left lane which was effectively a dead-end for me between him and the traffic waiting at the lights. I was simply cycling down the cycle lane. I roared at him and he finally stopped and let me through, don't know if he heard me or not but my x2 rear lights and hi-vis jacket obviously wasn't enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I hate that stretch of road, just so vulnerable to vehicles - particularly that god damn Microsoft Executive express bus

100% agree abut that bloody bus. The only thing is he doesn't care if it's 2 wheels or 4 he's up against, he's a menace either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Van emerges from side street within spitting distance of approaching cyclist and scooter guy.
    https://streamable.com/00h84

He said the traffic was moving slowly, so he had to move.

I second that... horrible section

I take the lane there every morning too from where the Luas goes over the bridge to Liberty Hall. I have also nearly been taken out on more than one occasion from cars coming across from right lane too, however its still better than been in the dangerous cycle lane for that part. The buses/coaches blocking custom house quay also happens in the morn but not as much as evening from what I see.

Nearly got caught out at customs quay yesterday. Bike lane had a bus parked on it, indicated and moved out. Some tool in a taxi continues anyway, squeezing a few of us between him and the bus. Skimmed by about 5 or 6 bikes. Called him out on it at the red light he was in a rush to get to. “Fook off” was the reply. Sums up the attitude of our “professional drivers”. The one cohort of drivers that consistently compromise cyclists’ safety needlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Macy0161 wrote: »

Lucky for me I moved office few months ago. No longer need to cycle up and down n11.

This was always the worst section. So many close call with motorists who are turning left.

Worst was a with a lorry driver with a roll on roll off skip who decided it was ok to try and pin me against the kerb.

Both of us had red light

Just ignored me when I went to try and speak to him. If only his lorry had a logo of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've had 2 near misses in the past 3 days - both times I have been watching driver and knew that they had no awareness of my bike , so even though I had right of way had to break hard - todays was the worst - cycling through a junction and a lady in big Volvo SUV careeres through the juction oblivious to my precence , she was not looking ahead , either watching phone or other distraction , I braked hard and screamed at her , she neither stopped or aoologiised - she owned the road like.

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers to spend a certain time on bike, I drive a car soemtimes too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement