Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

it's a horrible stretch of road for cyclists, one which is dangerous by design really. the 'cycle track' on the left hand side as you go up the hill before the lights is awful, I end up cycling on the stripes in the middle of the road until I can get onto the proper track on the right hand side at the junction to the business park.

That's exactly what I do. These two lads stayed on the road instead of using the bike lane after East Point. I can see why, they were traveling at 40kph (I was in a car behind the car that punish passed them) and they were keeping up with motorised traffic. Hardly worth their while dipping on to the bike lane and then back out at that speed. The car decided to overtake them on the left hand slip lane, the skinniest part of the road where the car had to yield anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

Not a near miss, but a hit. Thursday morning a white van didn't stop at a T-junction and drove into me. Someone called an ambulance as I was lying in the road and spent a few hours in A&E; really surprised that I was triaged, x-rayd and discharged in three hours, but probably cause it was only bumps and bruises. Fortunately the bike was okay. I have it all on video, and the Garda at the scene did contact me Thursday afternoon to see if I was still in hospital and asked me to email the footage to him, then decided he'd come to see me...still waiting for that.

Not sure if anyone at the scene is reading this but thank you to those who stopped and helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bob b wrote: »
    Not a near miss, but a hit. Thursday morning a white van didn't stop at a T-junction and drove into me. Someone called an ambulance as I was lying in the road and spent a few hours in A&E; really surprised that I was triaged, x-rayd and discharged in three hours, but probably cause it was only bumps and bruises. Fortunately the bike was okay. I have it all on video, and the Garda at the scene did contact me Thursday afternoon to see if I was still in hospital and asked me to email the footage to him, then decided he'd come to see me...still waiting for that.

Not sure if anyone at the scene is reading this but thank you to those who stopped and helped.

Howth road? White van coming from All Saints Road? I have basic first aid and CPR training, but the girl that was with you said you were conscious and oriented so I didn't add to the crowds. Glad you're ok, was thinking about you all week. Don't expect Raheny Garda to be overly helpful. I was nearly killed at that very junction and was asked by Raheny Garda to visit all the premises and check if there's any CCVT footage of the incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Howth road? White van coming from All Saints Road? I have basic first aid and CPR training, but the girl that was with you said you were conscious and oriented so I didn't add to the crowds. Glad you're ok, was thinking about you all week. Don't expect Raheny Garda to be overly helpful. I was nearly killed at that very junction and was asked by Raheny Garda to visit all the premises and check if there's any CCVT footage of the incident!

Yes that was me! Oriented not so much though... I was sort of aware of crowds and then the fire engine, but whoever was helping me was really kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Three of us on a group spin earlier. Back roads around summerhill in co Meath. We’re on a narrow winding country lane when we come across a flooded road on a bend - there’s a car coming behind us, I indicate that we’re moving central to avoid the flood. He barges on through, car comes around the corner and he almost goes into him. Nearly takes us out moveinh left to avoid the car. Didn’t see his brake lights on.

It’s was a shockingly crazy and irresponsible move. The body language of the offending driver said he either didn’t care or genuinely thought he did nothing wrong. Just drove on oblivious. On a clear Sunday morning at 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

First time commuting to work in around 18 months. Coming home around 1:30am on the R149 heading into Lucan, battling a fairly strong headwind and struggling to stay above 20kph, not far from Laraghcon a taxi decided to pass me on the bridge as a car was approaching from the opposite lane.

All he had to do was wait 5 seconds? He ended up taking a wrong turn into Rokeby Park :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

DaveyDave wrote: »
    First time commuting to work in around 18 months. Coming home around 1:30am on the R149 heading into Lucan, battling a fairly strong headwind and struggling to stay above 20kph, not far from Laraghcon a taxi decided to pass me on the bridge as a car was approaching from the opposite lane.

All he had to do was wait 5 seconds? He ended up taking a wrong turn into Rokeby Park :rolleyes:

Yet another "professional driver" who doesnt have the intelligence or self-awareness to separate his views about other road users from the duty of care towards those road users. "Professional driver" my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Seems to have been a theme this weekend; overtaking into oncoming traffic.

A guy decided to overtake me on a blind corner just as someone was coming around it in the opposite direction.

He couldn't have given me more than 6 inches. The oncoming driver was right up against a wall on her other side.

I yelled 'Woah!' and raised my arm, gesturing that he was too close.

Brakelights.

Reverse lights, and he started following me (I had turned off to the left into my estate). I worried what he was going to do, but he was gunning it, and I had nowhere to go, so I stopped and got ready to jump off and run, or defend myself or whatever.

Down goes the window - "DON'T YOU GIVE ME THE FINGER" is how it started, and did not improve from there.

He went on to confirm how ignorant he is of the rules of the road, and what a danger he is, and how poor his observation skills are.
    My favourite parts were when he admitted "I nearly ploughed into that woman's car" and said "Never mind the f**king law".

Those are direct quotes, by the way, as the whole thing is recorded. I'm submitting it to Trafficwatch. If I was in two minds about reporting the close pass, he made my decision for me by coming back and having a go at me.

I'll update with my experience of TW when the process is over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Steoller wrote: »
    I'm submitting it to Trafficwatch.
    It's very good of him to assist the gardai with their enquiries :)
    He went on to confirm how ignorant he is of the rules of the road, and what a danger he is, and how poor his observation skills are.
    My favourite parts were when he admitted "I nearly ploughed into that woman's car" and said "Never mind the f**king law".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems to have been a theme this weekend; overtaking into oncoming traffic.

A guy decided to overtake me on a blind corner....

Fingers crossed for a careless driving charge so that can be played back on a big screen in a court room and his insurance will be sky high for the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The fact that he went back to follow you must stand for some sort of reckless or aggressive charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Promise you will put it up here when the legals are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think this incident was reported on here if I remember correctly, the usual "sun in eyes" excuse works again!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/student-doctor-spared-criminal-record-for-hitting-cyclist-1.3797865

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The fact that he went back to follow you must stand for some sort of reckless or aggressive charge.

LOL, if only. More likely the guard will accuse the cyclist of aggressively leaving the scene and provoking the poor innocent motorist.

I reported a dangerous close pass to trafficwatch in early November and never got a response. I thought they were obliged to follow up?

I think this incident was reported on here if I remember correctly, the usual "sun in eyes" excuse works again!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/student-doctor-spared-criminal-record-for-hitting-cyclist-1.3797865

Discussion and a video of the incident over in the journalism thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

benjamin d wrote: »
    LOL, if only. More likely the guard will accuse the cyclist of aggressively leaving the scene and provoking the poor innocent motorist.

I reported a dangerous close pass to trafficwatch in early November and never got a response. I thought they were obliged to follow up?

for the story above reported in the Irish Times, it took over 3 months for me to hear back after initially reporting it to TrafficWatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

a near miss for a motorist overtaking me this morning, nearly drove into the front of an oncoming van, because they were impatient and couldnt wait a few seconds before overtaking me safely

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

benjamin d wrote: »

You should keep tweeting Garda Traffic requesting an update, after all, that's what they said should be done in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Bizarre morning. I was nearly taken out by two white van drivers. One on Dame Street and one just before Lower Gardiner Street at the Luas tracks there.

In other news though, i passed these two vans that were clamped (another one up closer to Kimmage) this morning. :D

473503.png

XJyemeI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I had two close passes in quick succession this morning when approaching Mount Street bridge from Northumberland Road. I was turning right and took the centre of the left lane in preparation for getting into the right lane. This is a bus lane until you are virtually at the junction. First car skims past me, almost pulling my socks off it felt that close. Car behind tries exactly the same thing (twice) then backs off, eventually coming from behind me in the left lane as I move into the right. I guess they were trying to avoid the cars stopped and waiting to turn right, but a few seconds of impatience is all it takes to wipe someone out..

Second driver tried to introduce himself as he undertook me but I didn't catch it, sounded a bit like "Flanker" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

approaching Mount Street bridge from Northumberland Road. I was turning right

That maneuver is a nightmare. I used to do it everyday until I changed routes. Every second car uses the bus-lane to avoid the queue of right turning cars on the bridge. In the end the only way to get from the Haddington Road lights to the bridge safely is to fully take the bus-lane for its entire length. That wont stop the idiots from swerving into the bus-lane from the traffic lane but at least you can see them in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Bizarre morning. I was nearly taken out by two white van drivers. One on Dame Street and one just before Lower Gardiner Street at the Luas tracks there.

In other news though, i passed these two vans that were clamped (another one up closer to Kimmage) this morning. :D

473503.png

XJyemeI.jpg

A very good thing. I was astonished to turn left from SCR to Clanbrassil St this morning, and not have to veer out into traffic because of one or more lazy van drivers parking right on the corner on double yellow / mandatory cycle-lane.

A very good thing. I was astonished to turn left from SCR to Clanbrassil St this morning, and not have to veer out into traffic because of one or more lazy van drivers parking right on the corner on double yellow / mandatory cycle-lane.

Hopefully they keep clamping people and it wasn't just a one off blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That maneuver is a nightmare. I used to do it everyday until I changed routes. Every second car uses the bus-lane to avoid the queue of right turning cars on the bridge. In the end the only way to get from the Haddington Road lights to the bridge safely is to fully take the bus-lane for its entire length. That wont stop the idiots from swerving into the bus-lane from the traffic lane but at least you can see them in front of you.

Every evening I used to have to turn right also citybound off Northumberland road. It was such a nerve racking experience when you were the first in the turn right lane and there were cars hammering along up behind you with some not expecting you to stop in front of them even with my arm out well in advance. Eventually the only safe option was for me to just break the red light to ensure I wasn't going to be top of the queue. Needs must unfortunately. I'd wait for the pedestrians to cross then go. An awful junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Close call this morning with a Dublin Coach - the green buses - on the N7 on the bus lane before it opens out at the Green Isle Hotel, this Dublin Coach attempted to pass me. Although i was not in the middle of the lane i wasn't in the gutter either, so he tried to squeeze into the gap between me and the line of cars in the inside lane. I could have elbowed the bus he was that close. I roared at him and whacked the door, he slowed and i pushed ahead, as i passed the front of his bus i was able to land a blow against the front left side of the bus - the actual front of the bus - this is how close we were.

F@#kin livid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hopefully they keep clamping people and it wasn't just a one off blitz.

They seem to clamp those parked in cycle-lanes / double yellow lines in Kimmage, sometimes at least. It might just be in the nature of occasional enforcement to ensure people parking adhere to what the signs say. One of those corner / double-yellow / mandatory cycle lane parking vans (the grimy blue one in foreground) belong to someone working on a site / refurb near the corner, so I'll soon learn if I can rely on that mandatory cyclelane near the corner.

Was heading home this morning coming up to the bullring in Drogheda, it's a wide 3 lane road at that point, light was red but it had no traffic waiting and a Bus Eireann coach and a car came from behind me and proceed though as if the light was green.

Doubt either registered the red or the man in the process of crossing at the pedestrian lights on a green man. Had they been in the right lane and not the left that fella was in serious trouble.

I've seen that happen on a couple of occasions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was heading home this morning coming up to the bullring in Drogheda, it's a wide 3 lane road at that point, light was red but it had no traffic waiting and a Bus Eireann coach and a car came from behind me and proceed though as if the light was green.

Doubt either registered the red or the man in the process of crossing at the pedestrian lights on a green man. Had they been in the right lane and not the left that fella was in serious trouble.

I've seen that happen on a couple of occasions there.

Its so discouraging to see "Professional" pub trans drivers entrusted with 80+ pax's safety to be so reckless.
    https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1096160560780054529

Would love to see the NTA introduce a second offence and you're dismissed rule then start hammering down. No need for this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I was passing two cyclists who were in the cycle lane on my commute this morning, a couple who looked like they didn't cycle much. anyway I pulled out to the main lane to overtake, and as I was just past them I hear a car horn and a taxi driver squeezes between me and oncoming trafffic. Regrettably, I think I gave the two cyclists a fright with the roar I let out at him. Which was accompanied by large gestures.

He made it to the back of the line at the next traffic lights a good 4-5 seconds faster than might have been the case had he waited for me to pull back in. I caught up with him there and he had a passenger side window open so I told him he was on camera and he could expect a summons for the close pass. He told me there was a cycle lane and I wasn't in it. I asked him to say that again and he did. I thanked him and told him I just wanted to make sure the mike on my camera picked up him admitting that he squeezed past while I was in the ordinary lane and the implication that I deserved it because I wasn't in the cycle lane. He went puce, I told him to enjoy his penalty points and cycled off with a much improved mood. This conversation was all conducted at a higher volume than it reads on this page.

Unfortunately it was all lies and the "camera" was just a front light on my handlebars. He doesn't know that though....

• Advertisement

They seem to clamp those parked in cycle-lanes / double yellow lines in Kimmage, sometimes at least. It might just be in the nature of occasional enforcement to ensure people parking adhere to what the signs say. One of those corner / double-yellow / mandatory cycle lane parking vans (the grimy blue one in foreground) belong to someone working on a site / refurb near the corner, so I'll soon learn if I can rely on that mandatory cyclelane near the corner.

Seemed to be all clear this morning. I spotted the clamping van at Harolds Cross Bridge this morning too. They might be making a regular occurence of it. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement