Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passing loop at Oranmore train station

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from thread about the station car park

"passing loop" mentioned three times in article but never explained

Pretty clear after I googled it
    Penryn-trains-passing-2-cropped.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    Moved out from thread about the station car park

"passing loop" mentioned three times in article but never explained

Visual always helps.

Athenry Station has one.
    Google Streetview of it here
    https://goo.gl/maps/SP39vbeKpc62

Passing loop is a short term measure for Oranmore - long term goal I presume will be to have a Double Track from Galway Ceannt to Athenry. Will cost a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine the longer plan still would be double all the way to Athlone.
    Just don't open the can of worms which is what to do between Athenry and Claremorris.

flazio wrote: »
    I imagine the longer plan still would be double all the way to Athlone.
    Just don't open the can of worms which is what to do between Athenry and Claremorris.
    Will be waiting decades for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,226 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Good news, tired of sitting on an idle train just back the Lough atalia bridge waiting for the yet again delayed Heuston train. Should help scheduling and frequencies too!

• Advertisement

From a post in WRC MEGA Thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110368733&postcount=906

Thanks westtip

"
    Year No. of Passengers using Oranmore Galway commuter route part of the mainline from Dublin to Galway
    2013 5,522
    2014 11,624
    2015 13,852
    2016 19,887
    2017 34,138
    2018 54,417
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Over five years later, and the planning application for a simple 1km of double track still hasn't been submitted.

Shocking alright, they should start application for DOUBLE TRACKING to Athenry right now as well.

2040 is timeline for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Is that a real programme date or just sarcasm? (Genuine question)

• Advertisement

That is not sarcasm, I'm sorry to tell you.

5.5 years after this thread started, here is an update on the planned 1km passing loop:

I now read that a reason for the delay in making the planning application is land acquisition.

Hildegarde Naughton metions Sep 2024 for the submission of the planning application.

Even though in Dec 2020 Senator Sean Kyne stated that IE controlled the land:

https://seankyne.wordpress.com/2020/12/23/dual-tracking-and-oranmore-passing-loop/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just to be clear, not all "passing loops" involve a second platform, for example Clara does not have a second platform on it's passing loop.

Will Oranmore have a second platform do you know?

One would hope so, but nothing confirm until planning is applied for.

Yes.

The high 12m cost is for the 1km passing loop, second platform, foot bridge over the tracks and the associated lift.

Plus also I think some changes to the car park.

Any bus shelters to be installed do you know. I read recently that NEW Busconnects service from Oranmore into Galway City will service the station ?

Hopefully pedestrian and cycling access from Oranmore itself can be improved on as well by County Council to and from the station.

Yes, I saw an article in the GA about bus stops at the railway station.

The plan is 4 busses ph, with two along the current route, and two to go along the coast road.

The bus stop and shelters are to be on the Coast Road itself based on a tweet over the weekend from the local TD and Minister Hildegard Naughton; instead of in the Station itself. This is a very poor planning, Any similar type of rural train station like this I have used over on the Mainland (Europe) the Bus Stop is near as possible to the train platform. It s a 3/4 min walk from Coast Road to the platform.

I wonder is there enough space for a coach/bus in the car park?

• Advertisement

For the Double Desker City Buses - no problem there - but they would need to bollard the entire CYCLE Lane to STOP illegal car parking that might hinder progress of the bus. No idea re Bus Coaches though

When the Station was opened in 2013 - it had a marked BUS layby. It is still visible in this STREETVIEW image from 2021

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RmUgvScD2KRmKoJo7

It looks to me that the Bus STOPs are been placed on the Coast Road to facilitate illegal car parking in the Bus Bay and Cycle Lanes in the Oranmore Train Station car park.

Another advantage of building the Bus Stop at the station = ONLY need ONE shelter rather than two on the Coast Road.

It should also be a FRONT facing shelter as the BUS Layby is facing South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If they want to stop people parking on the cycle lanes, they're going to have to put in more parking spots. The demand is clearly there on weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Ideally when they apply for planning permission all these points should be raised via a submission:

• lack of car parking.
    • no dedicated cycle lane enforcement.
    • is there a bus stop next to it with room for a bus to get in and out.

The last thing we need though is for them to start charging for the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They aren't much use without, though - unless the station isn't a regular stop.

Enfield's loop is basically useless as a result.

Exactly, Clara is partically "annoying" since some trains pass at Clara, and since there is only one platform, only one gets to use the station and the other just sits on the passing loop.

True but it would be far better to get Oranmore and Doughiska residents to arrive via other modes first. I.E Get the BUS (or bike) to get the train.Placing bus stops on Coast Road aint going to work.

That is more efficient on ALL fronts and far better long term strategy.

TBH cycle lanes on the Station road are poor and were not given any real thought from an end user perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If an Oranmore, Roscam or Doughiska resident gets on bus, and is going to Galway city - they are going to stay on that bus. Messing around with changes for such a short journey is nuts.

• Advertisement

100% of people currently and into the future will use Oranmore Train Station for ONLY this purpose of going into Ceannt Station from Oranmore Train Station. That is nuts alright.

Advertisement