Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Like a lot here I went in with my expectations on the floor and came out enjoying it. No where near most of the MCU but an enjoyable switch off blockbuster. Found the relationship between Venom and Hardy to be somewhat charming. Had originally planned to skip this altogether and glad I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That was reasonably decent, I've certainly seen a lot worse on the cinema.

As for his accent.. people need to get their ears checked, no issues understanding him, even with the mumbling bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

didnt expect much and was very pleasantly surprised. I think IMDBs rating of 7.1 was about right. Some very unexpected humour. I thought the carlton drake character was extremely weak and cliched until about half way through the movie...

I thought the lobster tank scene was particularly funny...

Didnt understand the end credit scene, but I'm sure it'll eventually make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Muppet Man wrote: »

Didnt understand the end credit scene, but I'm sure it'll eventually make sense.
    It's Carnage being set up for the sequel

end credit scene spoiler in link

https://res.cloudinary.com/jerrick/image/upload/f_auto,fl_progressive,q_auto,c_fit,w_1100/lbuaycgdgwurxioh5suv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Like a lot here, I enjoyed it. Despite Hardys accent, a couple of plot points and a weak baddie, the time flew for me. Funny bits were funny, the action was pretty good and I enjoyed that it was a standalone film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It was a record weekend at the box office for Sony's release of Venom, which delivered a massive $80 million, topping the previous October opening weekend record by more than $20 million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4444

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just watched it this evening, zero issues with his accent

The film itself was a bit daft in places but very enjoyable, leave your brain at the door fodder

Agreed with the 7.1 on IMDb - it's a fair rating, seriously don't get all the negative reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I always wanted Marvel to get the Spider-man franchise back, but I'm not so sure anymore. He's too big a character to what is now an over-crowded franchise in the Marvel Universe. Sony made a balls of things with Spider-man 3, the rift that started that was trying to shoe-horn Venom into the series to begin with, and Sony have got everything wrong since. In saying that, I don't like what Marvel are doing with Spider-man either.

The other characters like Iron-man, Captain America need the MCU as they can't stand alone as franchises, while all their new additions are popular off the back of the MCU. Spider-man on the other hand is bogged down by it, under the restraints of having to play second fiddle to the Avengers leadership and tie in with them in his solo films. I think his family and friends are done completely wrong and he's portrayed too young (even at that age he always "seemed" older in the comics anyway).

So ye, if Venom is financially successful, I'd rather Spider-man come back into this universe, and give Sony one more shot with him. The MCU is far too comformative, for all it's faults Venom is at least different and Spider-man will have alot more freedom. Before the MCU, Venom, Green Goblin and Spider-man were probably the 3 biggest names in Marvel (X-men and Hulk also), they are big enough to go it alone, not to be some sideshow in the MCU. Spider-mans villain catalogue is better than the rest of Marvel's villain catalogue combined. So I hope Venom does the business at the box office, so far so good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am hoping this will go off a financial cliff edge, and these characters will join Spiderman in the MCU.
    But I went to see it expecting the worst but it wasn't as bad as all that, though the ending was pretty predictable.

Nice to see that one of the astronauts was named JJ Jameson III, which is one of the offspring of a certain newspaper editor famous for tormenting Spiderman and employing Parker, which would link it to the MCU.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am hoping this will go off a financial cliff edge, and these characters will join Spiderman in the MCU.
    But I went to see it expecting the worst but it wasn't as bad as all that, though the ending was pretty predictable.

Nice to see that one of the astronauts was named JJ Jameson III, which is one of the offspring of a certain newspaper editor famous for tormenting Spiderman and employing Parker, which would link it to the MCU.

Something tells me it's Norman Osborne that Marvel Studios really want. Marvel's equivalent of the Joker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

We have been spoiled by the MCU over the last 10 years and many have set their barometer for above average to that but infact MCU are exceptionally well made films so when something comes along with a connection to the superhero genre it can be judged harshly, especially from critics just waiting for cracks to form so they can see such films sink like the Titanic which explains the really low critic scores compared to the high audience score. This film was fun with lots of dark humour and some interesting character moments, yes the ending was lame, the villain generic and the action in parts very blurry but as long as the journey was entertaining it was a good time. Three out of five for me, needed a little more time in the oven but recommended with low expectations going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

I didn't think it was amazing but I didn't think it was an absolute mess like "The Fantastic Four". Some funny scenes although the action sequences didn't make me sit up and take notice.

They could have gone with a darker tone instead of the more comedic angle and perhaps have left out the Venom voice-over. Without the voice-over they could have portrayed it more parasite like.

Also was I the only one not blown away by the CGI?

I pissed myself laughing at how ridiculous
    Woody
    looked in the mid credits sequence and at Venom's explanation
    at why he wanted to save earth; on my planet I'm something of a loser too
    . Lazy writing right there.

Overall 3/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I think there was a potentially good film in there but feel like I was watching a film that basically had the middle removed. Really bizarre experience. A hatchet job done in the editing room worse than Justice League and that isn't me being OTT.

On the plus side the CGI of Venom in the final product was very good. In fact I'm perplexed by the marketing as even in the run up to the release of the film they were clearly using footage that hadn't been touched up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought the CGI looked amazing in some scenes but dreadful in others. The Venom vs. Riot fight scene was nearly unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best movie ever made.

10/10

Will clean up at the Oscar's.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Something tells me it's Norman Osborne that Marvel Studios really want. Marvel's equivalent of the Joker

Pssh, Doctor Doom is a way better villain. He's the one they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

titan18 wrote: »
    Pssh, Doctor Doom is a way better villain. He's the one they need

Only if they get the Fantastic Four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I really enjoyed it mindlessly fun stuff, Tom hardy was fantastic, refreshing to see him in a more comedic role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It was.....OK. Some of the action was good, but then the end was a bit Transformer-y with lots of CGI and difficult to see. Thought Hardy's accent was fine - was fearing the worst after the trailer. Maybe my ears adjusted. Seemed a bit rushed for most of it (but I suppose they had to get to the Eddie-Venom interactions, which were probably the best bits).

Mid-credit scene was clunky (
    and what a ridiculous mop of hair
    ).

Enjoyed the end credit clip - was actually worth sticking around for...even if the credits seemed VERY long.
    Enjoyed the visual style and humour of Into the Spider-Verse; would probably have been happier had I seen almost two hours of that instead! :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Finally got to see this today and have to say I really enjoyed it. It was funny, it had a good start to it a decent middle and a good ending although I do agree some of the fighting between them on the ship platform was hard to make out. The sound to the film do was brilliant. I thought the story was decent to. Tom Hardy was brilliant in it and the perfect actor for the part. I would give it 9 out of 10. Highly recommend going to see it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen it last night and thought was very cobbled together and a bit of a mess if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched it this afternoon and it felt like there were too many cooks directing and editing it each with a different idea of what they wanted from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolute sh1te

Stick to what you know Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Absolute sh1te

Stick to what you know Hardy

Can you at least say why you thought it was absolute sh1te? Offer some sort of critique maybe?

I'm sure we all agree it won't be a contender for film of the year but absolute sh1te seems a bit harsh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

With all the awful reviews I thought this would be a shocker. The only thing that shocked was how much I enjoyed this. Didn’t take itself too seriously. Good fun all round, looking forward to seeing Brock & Venom in action again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I'm just back from seeing this, I thought it was grand. Nothing amazing or terrible but good enough to watch while I shovel inhuman amounts of popcorn into my disgusting fat face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I do find it interesting that people are generally more forgiving of clumsy efforts if the time breezes by as opposed to films that over reach admirably, but fail to bring the audience along.

For the 3rd time or so I settled down to watch BvS when I saw it was on Netflix but it's simply too much. I actually enjoyed it in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

For the 3rd time or so I settled down to watch BvS when I saw it was on Netflix but it's simply too much. I actually enjoyed it in the cinema.

It's the theatrical version. Don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

The Trailer did not catch my attention and I was asking myself so what at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Post Credits Scene! :eek::D:eek:

Gave Venom a watch. That was a decent flick. More fun and dark than the scary and dark I have in my head that I grew up with.

Given it has raked in over $850m, I can see production quality increasing in the sequel.

Looking forward to a future film with
    Spiderman
    if it comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

liked it alot , tom's accent got on my tits though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thought this was terrible. Had a lot of potential if it went down the more serious dark route but was just jokey and forgettable in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Watched it the other day. Heard awful reviews so put off watching it but I thought it was quite enjoyable. It did feel a little rushed. Hardy played the role well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First 80 odd minutes I was thinking that it really was so much better than critics were making out and really making a great go of establishing its character and backstory.

Then I started wondering if I'd unwittingly fallen asleep and missed a significant chunk of the middle part of the film as the grand finale crashed together at 180mph with barely any exposition whatsoever, and in grand cliche CGI laden fashion.

Overall not terrible and Tom Hardy was actually great as Eddie Brock. But editing and pacing are horrible in this film, especially in the 2nd half, which is really what leaves you with the lasting impression of the movie.

Overall, disappointing. They had it so right until it just goes so horribly wrong. I'd say it's just a 5/10. Watchable, terribly flawed, entertaining but frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

First 80 odd minutes I was thinking that it really was so much better than critics were making out and really making a great go of establishing its character and backstory.

Then I started wondering if I'd unwittingly fallen asleep and missed a significant chunk of the middle part of the film as the grand finale crashed together at 180mph with barely any exposition whatsoever, and in grand cliche CGI laden fashion.

Overall not terrible and Tom Hardy was actually great as Eddie Brock. But editing and pacing are horrible in this film, especially in the 2nd half, which is really what leaves you with the lasting impression of the movie.

Overall, disappointing. They had it so right until it just goes so horribly wrong. I'd say it's just a 5/10. Watchable, terribly flawed, entertaining but frustrating.

Watched it on download ?

Solid film, pretty funny too. More interesting than anything the MCU have done recently. Looking forward to Carnage. Sony should take Spider-man back into their world, particularly with Carnage coming into the fold....what point does he serve unless to get Venom and Spider-man working together? The box-office shows Spider-man and it's villains are too big to play supporting characters in a shared Marvel universe, they should be a universe by themselves as Sony had originally planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was expecting this to be poor but it really wasn't. Enjoyable even. It really does feel like a good 20 minutes of the film was left on the editing room floor though. The second half of the movie has....odd pacing. It was short enough.....they could have given it some room to breathe and still made as much money in my view.

Seeing as it DID make a ton of money, there will be a sequel for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I thought it was alright, based on everything I read I was expecting a stinker. It was easy to watch, didn't drag and was pretty entertaining. The CGI was poor IMO, but that seemed more like a style choice to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

pretty much felt the same as this. Thoroughly enjoyed the first hour or so, then I was left scratching my head for a bit. The closing scenes pulled it back a bit.

Overall, better than I had expected, and I quite enjoyed Venom’s “voiceovers”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sony's efforts are odd.

I'd put this in a similar bracket to the Garfield Spiderman films.

They get a lorryload of cash and good intentions, and brute force their way into having some quality and talent in the film, but there's some key undermining factor that stops it coming together.

I don't think you can say it was a problem with editing, because for all we know, initial efforts to cut the film resulted in a nightmare.

Hardy's actually pretty good. The trailers made him look awful but he actually managed the role really well. The accent actually worked and he came across as a loose cannon, and not the bumbling dickhead the trailers suggested he'd be.

The small scale CGI was fine. Once it got out in the open, less so. Maybe it's trickier when simulating natural light.

I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't watch it again.
    I'm mostly just disappointed that they've wasted the character and Hardy on this sub standard mush. If Marvel Studios had gotten their hands on it it would've been an awful lot more polished.

Gbear wrote: »
    If Marvel Studios had gotten their hands on it it would've been an awful lot more polished.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Marvel's cinematic universe than me.....but lets not pretend that everything they touch is gold.

Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and Ant-man 2 were all pretty substandard. The Jury is still out on Captain Marvel but from what I've seen so far, it looks destined to join that list.

Point being there are no guarantees. Even with Marvel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without Spider Man, Venom was just ... there. I mean the movie was watchable & never any better than that, but without the emotional and character foil of Peter Parker & his alter ego, Venom just felt that bit more shallow and redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kirby wrote: »
    You will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Marvel's cinematic universe than me.....but lets not pretend that everything they touch is gold.

Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and Ant-man 2 were all pretty substandard. The Jury is still out on Captain Marvel but from what I've seen so far, it looks destined to join that list.

I think they were all markedly better than Venom in most respects.

And, at any rate, those are old news at this point (except Ant Man, but that was certainly much, much better than Venom). They've largely gone from strength to strength.

And we have more applicable examples recently in their treatments of Spider Man and how that worked in a cross-company context.

There's plenty wrong with Marvel films broadly, or more precisely, there's a lack of exceptional things done right to elevate them, but I don't think any of them are a garbled mess. Sometimes they're uninspired, or have a weak villain or whatever, but they're at least competent. I don't think Venom really was.

It may have had a bit of flourish but in my eyes, you get the essentials down first. Otherwise the films a non-starter.

Another thing I'd forgotten. Lord the music was crap. Again, Marvel's is largely beige elevator music, with one or two memorable bits, but it has never had me pulling faces at the screen.
    And that too has been improving, with Mark Mothersbaugh doing a fantastic job for Thor: Ragnarok, the Russo's doing solid spy/thrillery type stuff and meshing things well for Infinity War, and of course the track list working brilliantly for GOTG.

Yeah. The music in this was not memorable in any way.

I agree with your list but I'd definitely add The Avengers theme as its excellent too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Kirby wrote: »

I’m not so sure on Captain Marvel. It think it could brie good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bit late to the party on this, but saw it on Sunday and thought it was great! I didn't think there were too many tonal shifts; it had to move from the intro of Venom to them "getting to know each other" and I thought it handled it well.

Good action sequences, comedy, acting from Hardy, and a few fairly freaky scenes - I watched it with the kids and they thought it was great, their second favourite Marvel movie in their words (first is Black Panther)! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sony Meets With Andy Serkis Amid 'Venom 2' Director Hunt (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-mix-direct-sequel-1226683
    Ruben Fleischer helmed the 2018 movie but is not returning. Serkis flew to Los Angeles for meetings set by Sony brass earlier this week. He is one of several filmmakers in the mix, sources say

Hrmmm, I haven't seen any of the films Serkis directed:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0785227/
    Director (3 credits)
    2018 Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (directed by)
    2018 The Ruins of Empires (TV Movie)
    2017/I Breathe

Fleischer is just wrapping up Zombieland: Double Tap
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0281508/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Serkis confirmed as the director of Venom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Serkis will be both directing and will be providing the mocap work for Woody Harrelson's red wig.

• Advertisement
Advertisement