Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Rewatched Dark Knight for comparison and it struck me the way both films presents the people of Gotham really speaks to the era they were made. Dark Knight released in the year Obama got elected 2008 presents an optimistic view that Gothomites won't blow each other up to save themselves. Joker on the other hand, made in the era of Trump, presents a people so broken, so worn down by the corruption and inequality they see around them, that they hero worship a killer.
    That's assuming its not Fleck daydreaming on his way to Arkham of course.

Acting wise I think Phoenix's performance is at least as impressive as Ledgers, that being said Ledgers Joker will always be the definitive one for me. Joker works best as an unknowable force of nature, a Terminator, who can't be reasoned with, who can't be bought and absolutely will not stop until you die laughing. Phoenix's Joker is no Crown prince of Crime and would absolutely have stopped if he had medicare for all.

To me, the Dark Knight represents more of a cultural paranoia about terrorism, which was rife in the 00s. Ledger's Joker doesn't discriminate in who he targets - he goes after police, politicians, judges, gangsters, the rich, ordinary civilians - and his sole aim is to create chaos and prove that nobody is as good as they pretend they are. The scene where he burns all the money and goes on about how what he's doing has nothing to do with money and everything to do with sending a message - this spoke directly to fears about global terrorism, imo. The Joker as an unknowable figure who won't negotiate, can't be bought, etc. was also a play on these fears.

This version of the Joker seems to be speaking more about the radicalisation of white American men, imo, and the anxieties surrounding that particular issue in the US at the moment - the mass shooters and the likes. But like others have said, I think it's trying to put a word in on a lot of different issues at once without really saying anything of huge substance about any of it.

Ledger's Joker remains the benchmark for me. His performance of the character set the standard, but also what the character represented was more complete, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

None of that bothered me. He's an accidental anti hero.

Sums it up for me.

Sums it up for me.

Like all this criticism is valid in hindsight but the vast majority of it didn't occur to me at the time. The film swept me away. I'd never seen King of comedy. I barely remember Taxi Driver. I wasn't aware of Todd Philips' previous work. I don't care about the parallels with the real world. It was about one person. Not some over arching societal message about mental health or inequality. I was just delighted it didn't go down the road of a bog standard comic book film. I had high enough expectations and was shocked that it met them. I don't really like Batman as a concept because of how ridiculous it is but this completely went against that grain. Every other joker didn't make sense to me, as who in their right mind would follow such an insane person. That was somehow believable in this. Although people seem to think it was unearned, I disagree. Gotham was in the background throughout because, again, this is mainly about Arthur. I don't need to know every detail of how people came to riot. It works for me. Sure its not perfect but it's without a doubt my film of the year. And I haven't even mentioned JQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Seen it last night, brilliant film, very tense. Phoenix's performance was amazing, I never though I'd say it but his Joker is just as memerable as Ledgers or Nickelson's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

PressRun wrote: »

This version of the Joker seems to be speaking more about the radicalisation of white American men, imo, and the anxieties surrounding that particular issue in the US at the moment - the mass shooters and the likes. But like others have said, I think it's trying to put a word in on a lot of different issues at once without really saying anything of huge substance about any of it.

A bit of a stretch , the character was in his 40's, he wasnt really in the demographic. I think we can all agree though that the media sh1t the bed here, when it came to their narratives the sign at the start said it best "Everything Must Go" . I'd imagine they were disappointed that there wasn't a related spree shooting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    A bit of a stretch , the character was in his 40's, he wasnt really in the demographic. I think we can all agree though that the media sh1t the bed here, when it came to their narratives the sign at the start said it best "Everything Must Go" . I'd imagine they were disappointed that there wasn't a related spree shooting

I don't think it's a stretch at all. There is a big public conversation happening about this type of person in the US at the moment and a lot of anxieties around that type of domestic terrorism - the lone wolf shooter type. Movies say something about the times they're made in.

The Las Vegas shooter was in his 60s. Most of them are young, but I don't think that's central to what the movie is getting at about the paranoia around this type of figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Greyfox wrote: »
    Seen it last night, brilliant film, very tense. Phoenix's performance was amazing, I never though I'd say it but his Joker is just as memerable as Ledgers or Nickelson's

Yet he was only Joker for perhaps 20 min out of the 2hrs. That shows the strength of his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think it's a stretch at all. There is a big public conversation happening about this type of person in the US at the moment and a lot of anxieties around that type of domestic terrorism - the lone wolf shooter type. Movies say something about the times they're made in.

The Las Vegas shooter was in his 60s. Most of them are young, but I don't think that's central to what the movie is getting at about the paranoia around this type of figure.

there might be but doesn't mean the movie was specifically bringing it up. The guy wasn't some angst ridden entitled teenager or twenty something. Can for sure see that you can bring mental illness, parental abuse, austerity affecting mental health services into the mix.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    there might be but doesn't mean the movie was specifically bringing it up. The guy wasn't some angst ridden entitled teenager or twenty something. Can for sure see that you can bring mental illness, parental abuse, austerity affecting mental health services into the mix.

Not all shooters are angst ridden teenagers. In fact, a lot of those shootings are becoming more and more political than just random acts of violence from angry teenagers. Those shootings are symptoms of a malaise within American society and I think the movie is looking at that malaise.
    It obviously isn't making explicit reference to shooters, but it's reflective of a society that is preoccupied with the "lone wolf" type and domestic terrorism and where it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I was blown away by this, I thought it was great, Joaquin phoenix performance is incredible
    It was a majestic descent into psychosis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just back from seeing this, I loved It. Outstanding performances, great cinematography, music choice. I also liked the messages on wealth distribution and mental health. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Edit.

SNL's one good joke of the decade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I actually found the laughing thing really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

That bathroom scene post train incident was so poignant. What an amazing piece and with the cello brooding away in the background. Goodbye Arthur hello Joker.

That bathroom scene post train incident was so poignant. What an amazing piece and with the cello brooding away in the background. Goodbye Arthur hello Joker.

Remind me. What happened in that scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen a very interesting video on youtube and it showed loads of the outtakes that never made the movie and spoke about scene's that changed from the originally script,

That was one scene that changed and i'm glad it did as it was brilliant originally he was going to try and shoot himself in the bathroom ,

Also some other major differences ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

So when Joker attacks "Bankers" in self-defence it is unacceptable but when the women in Hustlers drug and rob "Bankers" it's empowering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Masterpiece in my opinion. Best film i have seen in years.

Regarding the rioting - throughout the first part of the film there was references to garbage piling up and disquiet amongst the "have nots" as to how the city was being run. Wayne was shown on tv saying that he was the only candidate that could save the city. So, the city needed saving and was in bad nick with public services being pulled. Arthur's medication was defunded. So i dont think that it is entirely unbelievable that the murder on a train of 3 young yuppies who worked for the Wayne company by a murderous clown would not be the light needed for the touchpaper.

The final scene with the psychiatrist in Arkham was my favourite. When Arthur tells the shrink that she wouldnt get the joke he was thinking of, i took that as Arthur talking to us, the audience. If you're unquestioningly plugged into the mainstream how would you get anything he finds funny?

That's my hot take on it. Probably needs a second viewing to be honest. But a long time since i have left the cinema as impressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So when Joker attacks "Bankers" in self-defence it is unacceptable but when the women in Hustlers drug and rob "Bankers" it's empowering?

Whataboutery, but I haven't seen any consensus that attacking the bankers was unacceptable? :confused: IMO bad writing as a spark towards class riots, and the characters were straight out of the cupboard marked "80s yuppy clichés", but not seeing any great swell of outrage in its own right TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Did Randall initially give him the gun for the right reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Remind me. What happened in that scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kshsj-gyXq0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

I see gary glitters song in the movie is at No.2 in the Irish Spotify chart (viral)

Stories out today that glitter had sold all his rights to the song quite some time ago so won't get any royalties

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2019-10-11/joker-gary-glitter-rock-and-roll-part-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

peteeeed wrote: »
    Stories out today that glitter had sold all his rights to the song quite some time ago so won't get any royalties

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2019-10-11/joker-gary-glitter-rock-and-roll-part-2

A masterstroke including song,generating lots of extra contrived controversy, feels very orchestrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

peteeeed wrote: »

Hopefully that will put all the snowflakes and easily offended at ease.

HighLine wrote: »
    Hopefully that will put all the snowflakes and easily offended at ease.

don't know about that , people didn't want the P*ick getting any money and rightly so (to me a snowflake is when piers morgan cried for a month on twitter about a vegan sausage )
    the song fits the scene so well so i'm glad its all sorted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Come on now . You know how it works these days .

Women can do as they please and men do as they are told .

blinding wrote: »
    Come on now . You know how it works these days .

Women can do as they please and men do as they are told .

yes we men have it so hard , poor us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We just inventing outrage to be outraged about now? Haven't read any serious consensus that suggests the Bankers scene was beyond the pale 🤷

Advertisement