Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venom

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Post Credits Scene! :eek::D:eek:

Gave Venom a watch. That was a decent flick. More fun and dark than the scary and dark I have in my head that I grew up with.

Given it has raked in over $850m, I can see production quality increasing in the sequel.

Looking forward to a future film with
    Spiderman
    if it comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

liked it alot , tom's accent got on my tits though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thought this was terrible. Had a lot of potential if it went down the more serious dark route but was just jokey and forgettable in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Watched it the other day. Heard awful reviews so put off watching it but I thought it was quite enjoyable. It did feel a little rushed. Hardy played the role well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First 80 odd minutes I was thinking that it really was so much better than critics were making out and really making a great go of establishing its character and backstory.

Then I started wondering if I'd unwittingly fallen asleep and missed a significant chunk of the middle part of the film as the grand finale crashed together at 180mph with barely any exposition whatsoever, and in grand cliche CGI laden fashion.

Overall not terrible and Tom Hardy was actually great as Eddie Brock. But editing and pacing are horrible in this film, especially in the 2nd half, which is really what leaves you with the lasting impression of the movie.

Overall, disappointing. They had it so right until it just goes so horribly wrong. I'd say it's just a 5/10. Watchable, terribly flawed, entertaining but frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

First 80 odd minutes I was thinking that it really was so much better than critics were making out and really making a great go of establishing its character and backstory.

Then I started wondering if I'd unwittingly fallen asleep and missed a significant chunk of the middle part of the film as the grand finale crashed together at 180mph with barely any exposition whatsoever, and in grand cliche CGI laden fashion.

Overall not terrible and Tom Hardy was actually great as Eddie Brock. But editing and pacing are horrible in this film, especially in the 2nd half, which is really what leaves you with the lasting impression of the movie.

Overall, disappointing. They had it so right until it just goes so horribly wrong. I'd say it's just a 5/10. Watchable, terribly flawed, entertaining but frustrating.

Watched it on download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Solid film, pretty funny too. More interesting than anything the MCU have done recently. Looking forward to Carnage. Sony should take Spider-man back into their world, particularly with Carnage coming into the fold....what point does he serve unless to get Venom and Spider-man working together? The box-office shows Spider-man and it's villains are too big to play supporting characters in a shared Marvel universe, they should be a universe by themselves as Sony had originally planned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was expecting this to be poor but it really wasn't. Enjoyable even. It really does feel like a good 20 minutes of the film was left on the editing room floor though. The second half of the movie has....odd pacing. It was short enough.....they could have given it some room to breathe and still made as much money in my view.

Seeing as it DID make a ton of money, there will be a sequel for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I thought it was alright, based on everything I read I was expecting a stinker. It was easy to watch, didn't drag and was pretty entertaining. The CGI was poor IMO, but that seemed more like a style choice to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

pretty much felt the same as this. Thoroughly enjoyed the first hour or so, then I was left scratching my head for a bit. The closing scenes pulled it back a bit.

Overall, better than I had expected, and I quite enjoyed Venom’s “voiceovers”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sony's efforts are odd.

I'd put this in a similar bracket to the Garfield Spiderman films.

They get a lorryload of cash and good intentions, and brute force their way into having some quality and talent in the film, but there's some key undermining factor that stops it coming together.

I don't think you can say it was a problem with editing, because for all we know, initial efforts to cut the film resulted in a nightmare.

Hardy's actually pretty good. The trailers made him look awful but he actually managed the role really well. The accent actually worked and he came across as a loose cannon, and not the bumbling dickhead the trailers suggested he'd be.

The small scale CGI was fine. Once it got out in the open, less so. Maybe it's trickier when simulating natural light.

I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't watch it again.
    I'm mostly just disappointed that they've wasted the character and Hardy on this sub standard mush. If Marvel Studios had gotten their hands on it it would've been an awful lot more polished.

Gbear wrote: »
    If Marvel Studios had gotten their hands on it it would've been an awful lot more polished.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Marvel's cinematic universe than me.....but lets not pretend that everything they touch is gold.

Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and Ant-man 2 were all pretty substandard. The Jury is still out on Captain Marvel but from what I've seen so far, it looks destined to join that list.

Point being there are no guarantees. Even with Marvel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without Spider Man, Venom was just ... there. I mean the movie was watchable & never any better than that, but without the emotional and character foil of Peter Parker & his alter ego, Venom just felt that bit more shallow and redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kirby wrote: »
    You will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Marvel's cinematic universe than me.....but lets not pretend that everything they touch is gold.

Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and Ant-man 2 were all pretty substandard. The Jury is still out on Captain Marvel but from what I've seen so far, it looks destined to join that list.

I think they were all markedly better than Venom in most respects.

And, at any rate, those are old news at this point (except Ant Man, but that was certainly much, much better than Venom). They've largely gone from strength to strength.

And we have more applicable examples recently in their treatments of Spider Man and how that worked in a cross-company context.

There's plenty wrong with Marvel films broadly, or more precisely, there's a lack of exceptional things done right to elevate them, but I don't think any of them are a garbled mess. Sometimes they're uninspired, or have a weak villain or whatever, but they're at least competent. I don't think Venom really was.

It may have had a bit of flourish but in my eyes, you get the essentials down first. Otherwise the films a non-starter.

Another thing I'd forgotten. Lord the music was crap. Again, Marvel's is largely beige elevator music, with one or two memorable bits, but it has never had me pulling faces at the screen.
    And that too has been improving, with Mark Mothersbaugh doing a fantastic job for Thor: Ragnarok, the Russo's doing solid spy/thrillery type stuff and meshing things well for Infinity War, and of course the track list working brilliantly for GOTG.

Yeah. The music in this was not memorable in any way.

I agree with your list but I'd definitely add The Avengers theme as its excellent too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Kirby wrote: »

I’m not so sure on Captain Marvel. It think it could brie good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bit late to the party on this, but saw it on Sunday and thought it was great! I didn't think there were too many tonal shifts; it had to move from the intro of Venom to them "getting to know each other" and I thought it handled it well.

Good action sequences, comedy, acting from Hardy, and a few fairly freaky scenes - I watched it with the kids and they thought it was great, their second favourite Marvel movie in their words (first is Black Panther)! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sony Meets With Andy Serkis Amid 'Venom 2' Director Hunt (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-2-andy-serkis-mix-direct-sequel-1226683
    Ruben Fleischer helmed the 2018 movie but is not returning. Serkis flew to Los Angeles for meetings set by Sony brass earlier this week. He is one of several filmmakers in the mix, sources say

Hrmmm, I haven't seen any of the films Serkis directed:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0785227/
    Director (3 credits)
    2018 Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (directed by)
    2018 The Ruins of Empires (TV Movie)
    2017/I Breathe

Fleischer is just wrapping up Zombieland: Double Tap
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0281508/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Serkis confirmed as the director of Venom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Serkis will be both directing and will be providing the mocap work for Woody Harrelson's red wig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've not seen any of Serkis' directing but obviously his acting work is fantastic. He has enough good will to make me give the sequel a chance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Serkis confirmed as the director of Venom 2.

Of the two Jungle Book movies that came out in the past couple of years Serkis' was by far the superior one, not perfect by a long shot, but good enough to make him a solid choice for Venom given his experience with big budget special effects movies.
    It will all depend on the script of course. The first film was just weak and dull and possibly the worst performance I've seen from the usually reliable Tom Hardy, who just felt miscast.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Even Serkis has to pay bills

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shriek
    added as the second villain along with Carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sam Rockwell should be playing Cletus Kasady

• Registered Users Posts: 85,029 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

On Channel 4 tonight at 9pm

Advertisement