Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC '15: Pool A General Chat [AUS/ENG/WAL/FIJ/URU]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the difference in the past cases is that the player who got kicked was stationary or not really moving and the kicker is the one with most of the momentum so that's why they termed reckless.

In this case though the argentina guy has all the momentum and is diving down. There's isn't anything Carter could do here really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/96315

Quite frankly find this ridiculous. Johnny May more or less jumps into that tackle (something he did later in the game too) and the Fijian could do very little to stop him going beyond the horizontal.

Dunno if it's as clear cut as you say, the Fijian does grab and lift his leg to turn him upside down. Just a bit reckless really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/96315

Quite frankly find this ridiculous. Johnny May more or less jumps into that tackle (something he did later in the game too) and the Fijian could do very little to stop him going beyond the horizontal.
    I wouldn't say he jumps into that tackle at all. The Fijian could do quite a bit better in his tackle attempt.
    .ak wrote: »
    What a joke.
    Is it? Think they were right to look at it and give a 1 game/week ban

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The annoying thing about that tackle is it was reviewed a bunch of times on the night and they decided it was fine. The argument about the TMO getting involved isn't helped by this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Tyler Morgan called up to replace Allen. Wales squad getting weaker and weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wouldn't say he jumps into that tackle at all. The Fijian could do quite a bit better in his tackle attempt.
    Is it? Think they were right to look at it and give a 1 game/week ban

They were right to look at it, absolutely.

Ban is a joke IMO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They were right to look at it, absolutely.

Ban is a joke IMO

Joke to me as they took proper care to land him safely

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Very sloppy display from Wales yesterday ..... saying that it didn't come as a big surprise to me. We tend to struggle against 'lesser' opponents especially at the MS.

Despite the injury situation I'm confident we'll come out all guns blazing on Saturday. It's do or die now ......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very sloppy display from Wales yesterday ..... saying that it didn't come as a big surprise to me. We tend to struggle against 'lesser' opponents especially at the MS.

Despite the injury situation I'm confident we'll come out all guns blazing on Saturday. It's do or die now ......

Your front row as it stands looks to be in serious trouble though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It should have been a sin binning, nothing more. A ban implies they think it should have been more, I'd certainly disagree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Stheno wrote: »
    Your front row as it stands looks to be in serious trouble though.
    We're on a wing and a prayer ..... admittedly.

But we're up against our fiercest rivals ...... I cannot see us not turning up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

wales arrived in london today and Paul James had his foot in a moon boot. He seems to be the most likely to be replaced before the weekend

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34320522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

CatFromHue wrote: »

Dunno if it's as clear cut as you say, the Fijian does grab and lift his leg to turn him upside down. Just a bit reckless really.

Not with the majority here. That's a reckless tackle and they could have doe more to make sure he landed safely. Again the critical thing here is the player wasn't injured but that really shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Also, when are the IRB going to demand referee's penalise players who jump into tackles?

We're on a wing and a prayer ..... admittedly.

But we're up against our fiercest rivals ...... I cannot see us not turning up for this.

You may need to turn up yourself. Bring a pair of boots with you.

Not with the majority here. That's a reckless tackle and they could have doe more to make sure he landed safely. Again the critical thing here is the player wasn't injured but that really shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Also, when are the IRB going to demand referee's penalise players who jump into tackles?

I do think it was reckless, however two of the Fijians try to put him back down safely but they're cleared out before they can, so I don't think they drop him, ergo I don't think it's a ban.

I think the irb/wr are being overly pedantic and safe in this tournament. I reckon they're dreading an incident of foul play being seen by the world and painting the game in a poor light.

The problem is they're going way overboard with it and the games have been marred with overly pedantic tmo rulings, AR interjections and refs without common sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b04j4n46EC4

go to about a minute in. and watch the replay from behind the goal.

aimee1 wrote: »

Right I see what you are saying it does look like he deliberately runs into him after he's dived for the line?

Right I see what you are saying it does look like he deliberately runs into him after he's dived for the line?

its very similar to the North one [saints v wasps]. It is more clumsy then anything malicious but a player had to be removed as he was left concussed

its very similar to the North one [saints v wasps]. It is more clumsy then anything malicious but a player had to be removed as he was left concussed

That's a better description than mine, that's it's more clumsy than malicious.

I suspect a non citing would be on that basis.

I do think it was reckless, however two of the Fijians try to put him back down safely but they're cleared out before they can, so I don't think they drop him, ergo I don't think it's a ban.

I think the irb/wr are being overly pedantic and safe in this tournament. I reckon they're dreading an incident of foul play being seen by the world and painting the game in a poor light.

The problem is they're going way overboard with it and the games have been marred with overly pedantic tmo rulings, AR interjections and refs without common sense.

They do try and put him down safely but only after turning him upside down.

Turning a guy upside down is the main problem here not what happens after yo do it.

• Advertisement

Good spot.

I didn't realise Carter was as late as he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What should I be looking at? There's nothing there. Carter leaves a huge gap on the inside, runs to fill and is too late as the guy dives over the line at his feet. His connects with Carter's leg.

I thought in North's case Hughes tried to stop the try with his feet and got him in the head.

Saying Carter should be cited would be like calling for the Italian number 8 to be cited for knocking out Halfpenny on the last day of the 6 Nations.

There is, and has been for years, an issue with how we treat guys diving over for a try.

Some of the time what happens here is completely differently reffed than if it happened anywhere else on the pitch.

It's quite bizarre really as we've had a few guys injured in scoring a try (David Bory's knees on D'arcy, Dempsey scoring that right against England and also got some knees).

I personally thought Hughes getting off was a joke.

Looking at the Carter case though objectively, abjectly even (I'm not sure which one to use), what can he achieve by doing what he did?

He's too late against a guy half a foot off the ground.

They do try and put him down safely but only after turning him upside down.

Turning a guy upside down is the main problem here not what happens after yo do it.

Actually it's not. Tipping beyond the horizontal is fine so long as the player is placed down safely and not dropped or driven into the ground onto their head or shoulders.

Hughes like Carter hit him after the try scorer hit the deck, so it looks similiar

I disagree.

Once you tip a guy, especially as much as the two Fijians did, you're in very dangerous territory and there's too many what if's involved in bringing him down safely.

I disagree.

Once you tip a guy, especially as much as the two Fijians did, you're in very dangerous territory and there's too many what if's involved in bringing him down safely.

Yeah but I'm just paraphrasing the actual law. You can, under interpretation of the law, tip tackle someone so long as you safely bring the back to the horizontal and safely to ground, which is what the Fijians are attempting to do before they're tackled.

It's prob not a great example to discuss the law so as they turned him completely upside down. I'm not sure how they could have righted him if that's what the law says.

Yeah but I'm just paraphrasing the actual law. You can, under interpretation of the law, tip tackle someone so long as you safely bring the back to the horizontal and safely to ground, which is what the Fijians are attempting to do before they're tackled.

I think the citing here is more to do with trying to eliminate that type of tackle full stop, while not being within the remit of the laws if that makes sense?

And there's an element of whilst you and I might argue it was a safe grounding, this is the RWC, the showpiece for the game, and to casual/non fans it probably looked horrific.

Kinda like me watching Dublin vs Mayo in the first semi final, and then talking to GAA regulars who laughed the behaviour in that game off?

• Advertisement

My issue with the citing and suspension is that it was reviewed during the game. The ref, the TMO and the linesmen all looked at it and decided it was a penalty. Nothing more. To me that says it shouldn't be a suspension.

If the ref had called it after seeing it live (no video review) then I would be ok with a citing review. If it was bad enough for a 1 week ban then surely it should have been a red or yellow card. That means that 4 officials made the wrong call in the match.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    My issue with the citing and suspension is that it was reviewed during the game. The ref, the TMO and the linesmen all looked at it and decided it was a penalty. Nothing more. To me that says it shouldn't be a suspension.

If the ref had called it after seeing it live (no video review) then I would be ok with a citing review. If it was bad enough for a 1 week ban then surely it should have been a red or yellow card. That means that 4 officials made the wrong call in the match.

That seems to be a recurring issue the first weekend tbh.

It's also gotten a lot of press coverage in terms of the TMO involvement.

Come Wednesday, I'd be surprised if we don't see a change in the approach.

Come Wednesday, I'd be surprised if we don't see a change in the approach.

Hope you're right. I have no issue with TMO involvement but the weekend was over the top.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Hope you're right. I have no issue with TMO involvement but the weekend was over the top.

Same thought here, I do actually think though that it highlights bad refs.

If the WRU or whatever they are called take notice they might well get rid of the likes of Joubert/Peyper/Clancy or at least give them the requisite training as a result of what they've seen last weekend

I disagree.

Agreed. However, there's always the possibility of unintentionally tipping a guy in the tackle, and if and when that does occur, someone who then makes a big effort and returns the guy safely to the ground should not be penalized imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

For me, the best Ref of the first round of matches was Wayne Barnes.

No significantly long stoppages and got all the big calls correct imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/21/wales-injury-england-world-cup

A nice summary of Wales' injury crisis. Getting over the line against England would be some achievement.

Not to be forgotten but the Fijian player pleaded guilty. So while I don't think he should have been cited, he may have been successful had be chosen to defend himself.

Obviously seen as the lesser of two evils, think he was cited for a similar incident against SA recently so may have contributed to things.

efb wrote: »
    For me, the best Ref of the first round of matches was Wayne Barnes.

No significantly long stoppages and got all the big calls correct imho.

Ah for me it was Owens, if just for the bit where he essentially told the TMO to stop bothering him with silly things (like that 'around the neck' clearout where was just on the shoulder!)

I wonder if the Fiji team decided to plead guilty knowing it would be a 1 match ban rather than risk defending it and possibly losing him for 2 or 3 games.

Agree with the assessment of Owens. I also have to say well done to Garces and Jackson. I thought they had good games too. I will never give Barnes any credit. It's simply not possible for me to do :D

Updated OP with current standings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ah for me it was Owens, if just for the bit where he essentially told the TMO to stop bothering him with silly things (like that 'around the neck' clearout where was just on the shoulder!)

The one issue about Owens, and it's not a big thing, is he does tend to make it about him a bit. He doesn't get much wrong and seems to get on well with the payers though.

I am more of an Owens fan than Barnes, I just thought Barnes allowed the game to flow more

The one issue about Owens, and it's not a big thing, is he does tend to make it about him a bit. He doesn't get much wrong and seems to get on well with the payers though.

I am more of an Owens fan than Barnes, I just thought Barnes allowed the game to flow more

I don't get that vibe really. Owens only speaks when he needs to - i.e; there's an issue in the game. He's very quick when he speaks and I thought how he dealt with the TMO was brilliant, none of the other refs have the balls to do that.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/21/wales-injury-england-world-cup

A nice summary of Wales' injury crisis. Getting over the line against England would be some achievement.

Getting a LBP and no more injuries would be a good result. Any win over fiji would give them a shot against the aussies

Barnes allows NZ v Arg flow more. Much tougher for Owens to allow tonga v georgia flow.

Barnes allows NZ v Arg flow more. Much tougher for Owens to allow tonga v georgia flow.

The NZ v ARG game only started to flow more when both teams realised that they weren't going to get away with slowing things down at the breakdown.

Now in fairness, to my mind it looks like not rolling away is being more harshly reffed since before the tournament but Barnes showed authority early and the teams responded to this.

Looks like Jonathan Joseph is out of the England team to play Wales with an injury, expected to be out for a week

Barritt and Burgess at 13 maybe? Or Slade?

Slade being speculated on by the BBC

www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34324696

Power all the way i reckon

Hmm. With Scott and Roberts in midfield I'd be going for the big guys too.

However, the ironic part is Slade is probably the best defender in terms of positioning awareness...

• Advertisement
Advertisement