Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Samsung Fame for €35 and other offers!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yes, and if someone gave it to me for free I would still not use it.

Its just about useful for calling, for using the on screen keyboard the screen is too small.

That crap that Samsung install over Android must make it unstable, even after resetting to factory data the phone is unstable a few weeks later again requiring a restart.

We have over 80 people with them in work and they are all going back and being swapped out for a different phone.

Wouldn't bother wasting your money.
    80 of them ? That's one miserable employer. As many have previously stated though, perfect for young kids / teens.

Not for heavy users or those with shovel hands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dodzy wrote: »
    80 of them ? That's one miserable employer. As many have previously stated though, perfect for young kids / teens.

Not for heavy users or those with shovel hands ;)

I would highly disagree, but that's your opinion ;)

Had a Samsung Galaxy S+ before that and it was far better.

Have a Moto G as a personal phone and that isn't even comparable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Friend works for CPW in Liffey Valley and said they have a batch coming in tomorrow and maybe Friday also, but that will be the last of them at this price and will be back up to €99 from Saturday.

I also heard about the freezing issue but was told that 99% of the time this issue only comes up if the phone has been unlocked by flashing. Samsung are apparently trying to make it harder to unlock these phones through that method and as a result, people that get them unlocked that way are having issues.

I can confirm this as I bought one of these as a gift for someone or Christmas and paid for it to be unlocked. When the person tried to do the software update on the Samung website, they got a message back saying the phone could not be software updated as it had unofficial software on it now (wasn't those exact words, but was to that effect all the same). The current software is the latest anyway, and so will be a few months yet before it's eligible for a software update via Samung, but when it does, that will make it run faster as the software updates usually iron out difficulties that show up after the first six months or so that they have been on sale.

If you are buying one and are going to get it unlocked, ask them are they rooting the phone or using an unlock code. If they say 'rooting' - walk away - and find somewhere that using codes as that way the original software will not be tampered with and your warranty (CPW and Samsung) will generally be honoured. Code unlocking tends to be more expensive though, as they have to buy the codes, whereas rooting and then flashing with altered software costs them zero.

As for the phone itself: the 'Internal storage' is most certainly not small, it's 4gb and you can obviously upgrade that with Micro Sim cards. Has a 5MP autofocus camera, 1ghz processor, 512mb of Ram.

Cracking phone for €99, but at €35 - it's a steal.

Here's a decent review of it:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_fame_s6810-review-926.php

I would highly disagree, but that's your opinion ;)

Had a Samsung Galaxy S+ before that and it was far better.

Have a Moto G as a personal phone and that isn't even comparable.

You are not comparing apples with apples. Significant price differences there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

On the off chance that you know a Vodafone bill payer, they will have access to 3 unlock codes online. Immediate retrieval on entering IMEI of locked handset. Maybe a relation / friend ? A lot dont even realise this little perk is available ;)

Thanks ... although I saw this a little late ... bought an Unlock Code from an Ebay seller for €10 ... took about 30mins to get the mail , 10secs to enter the code then - unlocked and ready to go. :)

€45 all in ... not too shabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

ive a vodaphone billpay account il try unlocking it later.
    daughter is delighted with her phone and def worth 35. if i could switch it to meteor now il be delighted!

RayCon wrote: »
    Thanks ... although I saw this a little late ... bought an Unlock Code from an Ebay seller for €10 ... took about 30mins to get the mail , 10secs to enter the code then - unlocked and ready to go. :)

€45 all in ... not too shabby.
    shot2go wrote: »
    ive a vodaphone billpay account il try unlocking it later.
    daughter is delighted with her phone and def worth 35. if i could switch it to meteor now il be delighted!

For those who have access to a VF billpay account, to get an unlock code for any VF handset ( apart from iphone ) just carry out the following:

1. Login to My Vodafone
    2. Scroll down to the section "Get the Network Unlock Code (NAC) for your
    phone"
    3. Enter the IMEI number of the locked handset ( *#06# will display this number on the screen of the handset )
    4. Select "receive by email" or via text - the code will be received instantly
    5. Instructions for exactly what to do with the code on the various handsets
    are also provided on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ that's good to know ....

... unfortunately I don't know anybody on VF Billpay

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Thanks OP got one in Naas earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

richie.c wrote: »
    Thanks OP got one in Naas earlier today.

bought one in monaghan yesterday. staff told me 5 coming in. none at the time. i went to walk out and she called me back to say she had a spare one out the back.bonus as well was it was unlocked. grand for 35 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

If anyone picked one up and isnt happy with it Ill take it off you

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

sound, thanks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Picked one of these up as a spare phone in Jetland limerick on Saturday.

Was vodaphone locked, but someone on payg unlocked it for me.
    the criteria is €127 on credit in the last 6 months.

http://onlineforms.vodafone.ie/nac/

Or login to "my vodaphone"
    Code came through immediately and worked a treat.
    thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Thanks OP . Got one in Waterford over the weekend. Its not locked to vodafone as used a vodafone sim first then tried my own Tesco sim card.
    Seems an ok phone only got it for one of kids to use so should do the job fine for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Were you checking stock quantity online?
    Canonfan wrote: »
    Don't waste your time finding that phone guys, they simply won't sell it to you.

On my way to work this morning I tried Henry street, Clerys, it showed available in the system but they will tell you it's a demo.

Bunch of lying ****ers.

Just be wary that if you unlock the phone you void the warranty. Open the box they won't let you return it.
    FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi,

Just bought Samsung Fame in Blackrock. They have one left as of now.

Can anyone please tell me how to safely unlock this and how much it'll cost. Otherwise I'lbe returning it to the shop.

Thanks.

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just bought Samsung Fame in Blackrock. They have one left as of now.

Can anyone please tell me how to safely unlock this and how much it'll cost. Otherwise I'lbe returning it to the shop.
    Thanks.
    Returning it on what basis ? You did know that it was locked to VF ?
    Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Just be wary that if you unlock the phone you void the warranty. Open the box they won't let you return it.
    Cant see how a VF authorised unlock would void a warranty on a VF handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:confused: but what if the phone is faulty? surely they have to refund in that case?

I never mentioned faulty. In the poster case she wouldn't be able to return it if box opened just because she can't unlock it.

If box opened and it's being returned due to change of mind then no you can't return it unless the shop decides to over look that.
    fryup wrote: »
    :confused: but what if the phone is faulty? surely they have to refund in that case?

No, but not everyone has Vodafone bill pay account to unlock the phone.

previous poster got unlock code on Ebay. If phone was to be sent away for repair for any warranty issues the repair centre will just flash Vodafone software back on to it
    Returning it on what basis ? You did know that it was locked to VF ?

Cant see how a VF authorised unlock would void a warranty on a VF handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I never mentioned faulty. In the poster case she wouldn't be able to return it if box opened just because she can't unlock it.

If box opened and it's being returned due to change of mind then no you can't return it unless the shop decides to over look that.

The shop doesn't have to accept a return due to change of mind at all, regardless of whether the box is open or not. It depends what their policies are.

It's in their policy that if box is sealed and within 7 days they can return it. Up to the store if they want to do credit note or refund.

MOH wrote: »
    The shop doesn't have to accept a return due to change of mind at all, regardless of whether the box is open or not. It depends what their policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

... today.. and I got one!:o:o

It appears unlocked (it happily made calls on my O2 and data on my meteor sim) YMMV of course

And I have yet another voda sim which apparently has EUR 10 credit on it #win

Advertisement