Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Samsung Fame for €35 and other offers!

Options
  • 16-02-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone.
    Have made it a bit of a habit to pop into carphone to see what deals they have and just found out the Samsung fame deal is back! You can buy it for €35 from them on Vodafone and you don't need to switch a number to get the deal like you had to before.

Also was told that you can get a Samsung s4 for free if you switch to Vodafone on the €55 plan or a Sony Z1 for free on the €35 plan but you don't need to switch a number for that one.
    Checked in Vodafone and they aren't doing these offers so its only in carphone.

There were some other deals but can't remember them all!

Anyway, happy shopping!
    Mags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sum41dude

Hi Mags, thanks for this BA. Was the fame for €35 on vodafone ready to go or billpay? And which CW branch was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 margotoole

sum41dude wrote: »
    Hi Mags, thanks for this BA. Was the fame for €35 on vodafone ready to go or billpay? And which CW branch was this?

The fame offer wasnt a contract so just usual top up. Think its in all their shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TobesYid

Is this just in store? Coming up online at €90, only on o2 & meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 margotoole

TobesYid wrote: »

Hmm I don't know about online. Definitely in store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Got my daughter a fame for Christmas and had to get it sent away as it kept freezing. The girl in CW told me it was the 2nd time she'd seen that problem - just be aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Is it €35 including top up, or do you have to buy a top up of x amount? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thanks OP my daughter is nagging me for one of these!,hoping its a nationwide offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

NATLOR wrote: »
    Thanks OP my daughter is nagging me for one of these!,hoping its a nationwide offer :)

It is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

TobesYid wrote: »
    Read the OP. Vodafone only ( not available online )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Don't waste your time finding that phone guys, they simply won't sell it to you.

On my way to work this morning I tried Henry street, Clerys, it showed available in the system but they will tell you it's a demo.

Bunch of lying ****ers.

• Advertisement

Can confirm its on offer at that price for this week only,just got one in Enniscorthy branch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Canonfan wrote: »
    Don't waste your time finding that phone guys, they simply won't sell it to you.

On my way to work this morning I tried Henry street, Clerys, it showed available in the system but they will tell you it's a demo.

Bunch of lying ****ers.
    Why would they lie? To sell you a higher specced device?

You should probably heed their advice, these phones are burner-class, a one and done job. Very cheap and it will show in build quality, speed and longevity. Id drop the extra few bob on one that will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Except if it's for a kid who's likely to (a) refuse to put a case on it, and (b) drop it on the floor several times a day.
    Least that's what mine do.... :mad:

peckerhead wrote: »
    Except if it's for a kid who's likely to (a) refuse to put a case on it, and (b) drop it on the floor several times a day.
    Least that's what mine do.... :mad:

My 12 year old's third phone in a year for exactly those reasons.Wasn't spending anymore than i had to :(

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Why would they lie? To sell you a higher specced device?

You should probably heed their advice, these phones are burner-class, a one and done job. Very cheap and it will show in build quality, speed and longevity. Id drop the extra few bob on one that will last.

Daughter has one. No issues. Granted not S4 speed but most definitely worth the €35. Its a no-brainer, particularly for young kids / teens. As long as the thing has wifi, a front and back camera, and can load apps, that's them sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

dodzy wrote: »
    Daughter has one. No issues. Granted not S4 speed but most definitely worth the €35. Its a no-brainer, particularly for young kids / teens. As long as the thing has wifi, a front and back camera, and can load apps, that's them sorted.

Agreed, for kids and non-power users theyre perfect. But if someone needs a phone to get stuff done, they're not ideal.
    I had a couple of cheapish Droids in the past and trying to do anything serious just provided headaches. But I suppose I'm a little bitter, 35 quid isn't a huge risk investment

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Are they locked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Available online now from €35: http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Samsung-strongGalaxy-Fame/238838/1.65

Apologies for what may be a stupid question - as a 'Vodaphone Upgrade' can this phone use an existing PAYG vodaphone sim? Or besides the number can existing call credit be transferred to the new phone sim?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

styron wrote: »
    Available online now from €35: http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Samsung-strongGalaxy-Fame/238838/1.65

Apologies for what may be a stupid question - as a 'Vodaphone Upgrade' can this phone use an existing PAYG vodaphone sim? Or besides the number can existing call credit be transferred to the new phone sim?

Thanks.

Wont let me purchase@ €35 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

rai555 wrote: »
    Are they locked ?

As they are vodafone I can guarantee that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

pogsick wrote: »
    As they are vodafone I can guarantee that they are.

I'm looking to get one for my brother who doesn't want to switch network (he's O2 and enjoys the Priority).

Woud this be difficult/expensive to unlock for O2.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

i got one in maynooth. the salesperson said it was locked to vodafone but I tried tesco sim and it worked. maybe I was lucky and got an unlocked phone. Phone itself worth it for 35 euro . flash and front facing camera are great for young teens

Tried Blanchardstown and Maynooth - sold out in both.

Blanch guy says it was a weekend only offer and they won't be getting anymore in (in any branch).

Maynooth guy says they hope to have more in by the end of the week but can't guarantee what day.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi,

Just bought Samsung Fame in Blackrock. They have one left as of now.

Can anyone please tell me how to safely unlock this and how much it'll cost. Otherwise I'lbe returning it to the shop.

Thanks.

Managed to get one in the afternoon in the same Blanchardstown branch that had none this morning :rolleyes: ...

Checked an O2 sim in it ... it's locked to Vodafone unlike sapphade's above ... anybody recommend a good Unlock Code seller ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I have this phone, it is a pile of junk and not worth it.

Screen is tiny
    Internal storage is small
    Starts freezing up when you put any kind of background apps on it

In work it has been nicknamed the Samsung Galaxy Shame.

I got the thing for free as a work phone and I still don't use it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

i got one today in galway for my 9 year old she is very happy :)

would also like to unlock it if anyone knows what it would cost?

RayCon wrote: »
    Managed to get one in the afternoon in the same Blanchardstown branch that had none this morning :rolleyes: ...

Checked an O2 sim in it ... it's locked to Vodafone unlike sapphade's above ... anybody recommend a good Unlock Code seller ?
    On the off chance that you know a Vodafone bill payer, they will have access to 3 unlock codes online. Immediate retrieval on entering IMEI of locked handset. Maybe a relation / friend ? A lot dont even realise this little perk is available ;)

I have this phone, it is a pile of junk and not worth it.

Screen is tiny
    Internal storage is small
    Starts freezing up when you put any kind of background apps on it

In work it has been nicknamed the Samsung Galaxy Shame.

I got the thing for free as a work phone and I still don't use it :P
    You do know its a €35 handset ?

That aside, your review is BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dodzy wrote: »
    You do know its a €35 handset ?

That aside, your review is BS.

Yes, and if someone gave it to me for free I would still not use it.

Its just about useful for calling, for using the on screen keyboard the screen is too small.

That crap that Samsung install over Android must make it unstable, even after resetting to factory data the phone is unstable a few weeks later again requiring a restart.

We have a large number of them in work and they are all going back and being swapped out for a different phone.

Wouldn't bother wasting your money.

Advertisement