Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange house smell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭El_robbo1980

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Have you just one bathroom in the house, upstairs? Are the outside bins nearby?

Outside bins aren’t near and don’t really smell (for bins)

There’s a downstairs bathroom also although again I had a look in those drains and all fine. If it was that kinda sulphur/egg smell I’d be thinking of drains but it’s definitely different?

Stigura wrote: »
    El Robbo; Have you a 'Fishing Tackle' shop within reach?

I Don't mean it could have anything to do with such a place. Just an old rat catchers trick. Might be a step in the process of elimination :)

I can certainly get to one? What’s the trick?

I was half thinking maybe a fox decided to mark its territory near the door as I’ve heard fox urine can have quite a “weedy” smell that lasts for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I can certainly get to one? What’s the trick?

I was half thinking maybe a fox decided to mark its territory near the door as I’ve heard fox urine can have quite a “weedy” smell that lasts for ages

Stay up all night sitting in that area and see when the smell begins to appear, try see if there are any noises or activity at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'd concentrate on where the new meter is, it seemed to start after that. I wonder did a mouse get down into the cavity around one of the cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

No I don’t think it’s that. House is two years old, all fittings fairly new. Smell is worse in the morning when all lights have been off all night

In saying that, the ESB did install a new smart meter on the outside wall near where the smell seems to eminate from
    Meter installers may have compromised a v.c.l. behind the insulated plasterboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Meter installers may have compromised a v.c.l. behind the insulated plasterboard.
    He said his house is only two years old, so fitting a new smart meter would have simply involved unscrewing the old one and installing a new one onto the backboard in the existing meter box. It's hard to see how anything would have been damaged doing that.

However, it might be worthwhile opening the meter box and having a good sniff inside. It's always difficult describing smells, but if it is a burning smell, there's a possibility the terminals on the new meter weren't tightened correctly causing arcing. I read that there were several cases of this happening in the UK smart meter rollout, some even causing fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Alun wrote: »
    He said his house is only two years old, so fitting a new smart meter would have simply involved unscrewing the old one and installing a new one onto the backboard in the existing meter box. It's hard to see how anything would have been damaged doing that.

However, it might be worthwhile opening the meter box and having a good sniff inside. It's always difficult describing smells, but if it is a burning smell, there's a possibility the terminals on the new meter weren't tightened correctly causing arcing. I read that there were several cases of this happening in the UK smart meter rollout, some even causing fires.

That's a very good suggestion. Something similar happened to a former boss of mine, he noticed a strange smell when the oven was on it was in the hall/porch area. Eventually the power went the connection was burned away completely at the big ESB fuse. He was very lucky as the house could have easily been burned down.

I’ll definitely have a look at that, many thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cyloncity

Could any of the sockets or fixtures be made of bakelite? They are known to give of a fishy smell if they overheat and overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cyloncity wrote: »
    Could any of the sockets or fixtures be made of bakelite? They are known to give of a fishy smell if they overheat and overtime?
    Often a lampholder with an old-style bulb that generates a fair bit of local heat.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement