Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange house smell

Options
  • 12-06-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Not exactly a DIY question but as I’m thinking of ripping open walls it’s not far off. The last two weeks a strange smell has appeared in the hall of our house. Seems strongest in the morning and rises through the house. It’s like a strong beer/yeast/cannabis kind of smell. Almost like it’s coming through the floor (tiled concrete subfloor). I’ve cleaned rainwater drains outside and checked utility boxes. Any idea what could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Not exactly a DIY question but as I’m thinking of ripping open walls it’s not far off. The last two weeks a strange smell has appeared in the hall of our house. Seems strongest in the morning and rises through the house. It’s like a strong beer/yeast/cannabis kind of smell. Almost like it’s coming through the floor (tiled concrete subfloor). I’ve cleaned rainwater drains outside and checked utility boxes. Any idea what could be the problem?

Any chance it’s an electrical burning smell ? I’ve seen old light fittings and kitchen appliances emit odours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Needles73 wrote: »
    Any chance it’s an electrical burning smell ? I’ve seen old light fittings and kitchen appliances emit odours ?

We had this issue with an old light fitting, it took a while to figure out, basically related to what type of bulbs we used at various times, and the heat they generated. The smell was foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you buy a new door mat or anything plastic. My wife bought a anti slip bath mat for the kids smelled the bathroom out for weeks til I figured it out what it was. Straight in the bin immediately smell gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Semi-d or terraced, is it your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Any new plants around outside?
    New neighbours puffing or home brewing?
    If nothing has changed inside the house it may be from outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Has the house ever been flooded? Whether it has or hasn’t is sounds like mould.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Physiologybrah

A yeast smell you say? Are all the occupants of the house taking regular showers, particularly the female occupants?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A yeast smell you say? Are all the occupants of the house taking regular showers, particularly the female occupants?

What's the story with all the arseholes on boards this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

Could be a Dead mouse in the cavity. It will give Foul smell for a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

poppers wrote: »
    Could be a Dead mouse in the cavity. It will give Foul smell for a couple of weeks.
    Dead mouse is definitely a foul fishy type of smell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Needles73 wrote: »

I'd second this. Turn on all lights for 30 mins. Turn off. Then go and sniff each fitting.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Physiologybrah

kadman wrote: »
    Dead mouse is definitely a foul fishy type of smell

Mods have a word please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So its only in the hall and what about presses under the stairs or cloakroom.
    Dead shrimp in the curtain rail prank.

Mods have a word please.

Have a word with yourself!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

poppers wrote: »

Yes, I had this in two houses.

Have you got a rarely used downstairs cloakroom by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Have you got a rarely used downstairs cloakroom by any chance?

Have an “understairs storage area” which is basically just used for shoes etc. It’s bare concrete in there but zero smell at all (including the shoes/boots). What are you thinking?

dazberry wrote: »
    We had this issue with an old light fitting, it took a while to figure out, basically related to what type of bulbs we used at various times, and the heat they generated. The smell was foul.

No I don’t think it’s that. House is two years old, all fittings fairly new. Smell is worse in the morning when all lights have been off all night

In saying that, the ESB did install a new smart meter on the outside wall near where the smell seems to eminate from

listermint wrote: »
    Did you buy a new door mat or anything plastic. My wife bought a anti slip bath mat for the kids smelled the bathroom out for weeks til I figured it out what it was. Straight in the bin immediately smell gone.

I know that smell - and it’s very similar! But nothing new like that was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

we had a smell downstairs too, when taking up the floor we found the old toilet waste pipe. no cover just laminate floor boards over the hole in the original floor boards...... I mean why did the previous owner live like that for the last 20 odd years...

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Semi-d or terraced, is it your neighbours?

Semi-d, definitely not the neighbours. Plus it’s on the side of the house furthest from their house

we had a smell downstairs too, when taking up the floor we found the old toilet waste pipe. no cover just laminate floor boards over the hole in the original floor boards...... I mean why did the previous owner live like that for the last 20 odd years...

You would wonder! It’s tiles on concrete though in a new build so I would hope that’s not the case. Although having seen some of the work in some houses you could never say never!

Have an “understairs stoflap?rage area” which is basically just used for shoes etc. It’s bare concrete in there but zero smell at all (including the shoes/boots). What are you thinking?
    A cloakroom , if not used much may get smelly as the trap(s) dry out ,but that would be a fairly recognisable sewage smell,
    so sounds like that's not your issue.
    The dead critter in the cavity seems to be the consensus here.
    Have you painted the area in the last couple of months?

A cloakroom , if not used much may get smelly as the trap(s) dry out ,but that would be a fairly recognisable sewage smell,
    so sounds like that's not your issue.
    The dead critter in the cavity seems to be the consensus here.
    Have you painted the area in the last couple of months?

Last painted there two years ago. As for the dead animal theory, I removed a double socket in that area and ran an inspection camera into the cavity between the insulated plasterboard and wall. Couldn’t see anything at all

If the smell is coming in through the hall door, there’s a rainwater drain outside. But I’ve had a good rummage in there, completely free of debris and filled with water. Also gets a blast of Jeyes fluid every couple of months. So strange that it just appeared out of nowhere after two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Did it only make its presence known after the meter fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It might be nothing, but get a carbon monoxide alarm.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Did it only make its presence known after the meter fitting.

Meter was fitted about a month ago. Smell arrived about two weeks ago

Hal1 wrote: »
    It might be nothing, but get a carbon monoxide alarm.

Have them throughout the house but not specifically in that area. Are you thinking of something in particular?

Forgot to mention that the first day we had the smell I called out Gas networks to carry out a leak check but that was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Have you just one bathroom in the house, upstairs? Are the outside bins nearby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

El Robbo; Have you a 'Fishing Tackle' shop within reach?

I Don't mean it could have anything to do with such a place. Just an old rat catchers trick. Might be a step in the process of elimination :)

Advertisement