Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2019

• 28-06-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Will post up the draws when I get a good PDF. Discuss the championships here. :)

Men's singles draw.

Women's singles draw

1st-14th July

Who will win SW19? 71 votes

Novak Djokovic
    66% 47 votes
    Roger Federer
    16% 12 votes
    Rafael Nadal
    8% 6 votes
    Someone else
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh. Looks like there's only men's singles being played at Wimbledon this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A brutal draw for Nadal, whatever chances he had of winning have surely dissipated now. Fed has a relatively straightforward draw, Djokovics is slightly more difficult and he could run into some trouble with Tsitsipas in the QFs. Hard to see past Fed/Djoker at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A brutal draw for Nadal, whatever chances he had of winning have surely dissipated now. Fed has a relatively straightforward draw, Djokovics is slightly more difficult and he could run into some trouble with Tsitsipas in the QFs. Hard to see past Fed/Djoker at this stage

Thiem's is not much better. Querry first round. Always think the clay courters are at risk in the first few days when there is a good covering of grass on the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Oh. Looks like there's only men's singles being played at Wimbledon this year.
    I was still awaiting the women's draw to be made and to find a PDF. You need to have faith. ;)

Really looking forward to Kyrgios vs Shapovalov in round 3.

Women's Draw here.

The top quarter is insane, we could get a rematch of last year's final in the 4th round. The bottom half is sparse enough, so any seed that can muster bit of form could be looking good for the final.

Not really getting the hype about Nadal-Kyrgios tbh. Kyrgios usually rolls over for the first half decent player he gets at slams, he hasn't been a threat in years. Nadal in four I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Djokovic an easy choice for me

Can't even remember the last time he lost to Nadal at a non-clay slam or Federer at any slam

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

lots can happen in the first week when there is actually some grass on the ground, but a focused Djokovic should win this, even though he seems to be having some trouble bending the players council stuff to his will lately wich may be a distraction. (not following it but it seems to be in the headlines evey few weeks).
    He seems to have avoided most of the big servers early doors which will help him.

Nadal complaining about the seeding isn't really a good look, this stuff hardly came out of the blue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Where are people watching it, just the BBC channel (I've Virgin Media) ? Does Hola VPN work on the BBC player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Have my draw predictions written up, ready to be proved wrong. Giorgi already gone so there's one out.

That top quarter of the women's is wicked!! 7(?) Grand Slam winners. Toughest I've seen in ages. I think Barty or Kerber gets to the SF out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

She's in top half but i think Konta will go well next fortnight. She has Kvitova close by but she's had fitness issues so probably beatable right now. Only trouble wouldnt trust Konta not to bottle it at business end like she did in Paris.

• Advertisement

Naomi Osaka in a spot of bother here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Zverev does it again.

And Tsitsipas follows him, wtf

Djokovic's half of the draw looks extremely weak now. The perks of being a number 1 eh?

Also, what the hell is going on with Naomi Osaka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

And another big shock on day one, Cracking performance from a 15-year-old to hold your nerve like that.

Amazing stuff, hats off to her. Only turned 15 three months ago and thats her fourth win on the bounce at wimbledon (including 3 qualifying matches) and hasnt dropped a set yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Djokovic's half of the draw looks extremely weak now. The perks of being a number 1 eh?

I think she's unbelieveably shy and not very good at interviews, her walking out of the interview looked stroppy but I don't think it was that.
    The 15 year old was so nice in the interview with Sue Barker not a hint of tennis brat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Bad day at the office for Zverev.

Fair play to Cori Gauff. Played a great match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Further proof that the nxt Gen stars are mentally incapable of stopping the big 3 now.

Muzza and PHH play Wednesday hopefully he gets a nice run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Think it's a combination of dealing with the massive pressure, and the split with the coach which is still a weird one that hasn't been, nor is likely, to be explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I voted someone else to win SW19.

Not sure who, but probably one of Anderson, Raonic, Cilic, Thiem....

walshb wrote: »
    I voted someone else to win SW19.

Not sure who, but probably one of Anderson, Raonic, Cilic, Thiem....

Thiem hasnt a chance in hell, his time on grass is catestrophic

Thiem hasnt a chance in hell, his time on grass is catestrophic

I reckon he'll lose today

Can't ever see Raonic winning a major tbh..

jr86 wrote: »
    I reckon he'll lose today

Can't ever see Raonic winning a major tbh..

I fancy querrey too. Milo's too injury prone.
    I think ebden upsets Schwartzman today in an upset too.

As said above Thiem gone to Querrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Muguruza has been knocked out today. You can never predict the women's.

Berdych beaten as well. I see Tomic didn't bother trying against Tsonga and was beaten in 3 sets in under an hour.

Floppybits wrote: »

Berdych beaten as well. I see Tomic didn't bother trying against Tsonga and was beaten in 3 sets in under an hour.

Berdych been stinking on grass in recent years

Shapovalov will be biggest dump of the day. On his favourite surface and being mocked by Berankis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Shapovalov didn't put up much of a fight at all.

• Advertisement

Surely you couldn't write off kyrgios pulling off the upset v Nadal?

Big hitter, fresh grass and what's more he absolutely can't stand Nadal either :D :pac:

And then onwards to the final where he can beat Djokovic and do his boob throw celebration in front of him.

Surely you couldn't write off kyrgios pulling off the upset v Nadal?

Big hitter, fresh grass and what's more he absolutely can't stand Nadal either :D :pac:

Kyrgios usually ends up writing himself off. I see Nadal winning in straight sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

"young guns" - they're laughably bad. Hopefully Allissiame can show something

ballyargus wrote: »
    "young guns" - they're laughably bad. Hopefully Allissiame can show something

Doesnt seem to find form on clay

mzungu wrote: »
    Kyrgios usually ends up writing himself off.

Not against the big guns

Their head to head is dead even and Nadal has only beat him once off clay

• Advertisement

Not against the big guns

Their head to head is dead even and Nadal has only beat him once off clay

Hes sacked his "advisors" he's heading for a meltdown trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Serena confirmed to to play XD with Murray. Should be entertaining.

Serena confirmed to to play XD with Murray. Should be entertaining.

Surprised with this considering they apparently don't get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

It's just a stunt. They'll both get great publicity out of it.

Really? I've only ever seen them speak highly of each other
    Rob2D wrote: »
    It's just a stunt. They'll both get great publicity out of it.

Yeah Murray really strikes me as a publicity seeker alright! Anyone would jump at the chance to play with arguably the greatest female player of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Floppybits wrote: »

Pliskova the one to beat for me.

Some delayed thoughts on yesterday..

Obviously disappointed about Osaka losing, especially to Putintseva, the second worst Putin in the world right now. Difficult to know what's going on with her fully, I wonder would things be different under Bajin or whether this would've happened away. It's one thing not being able to play on clay, a lot of people who grew up playing on hard courts have that problem. But not being able to play on grass too is a major issue that needs sorting. I also find it really odd that she's now having the kind of slump that would usually happen to players after winning their first slam, not their second. She's still crazy young, so lots of time to sort things out, but with her being the defending champion at the next two slams, I wouldn't count on it happening too soon.

With Zverev I'm kinda already at the stage where I no longer expect anything from him at the slams? Like I didn't even check his draw beforehand, such were my low expectations. He's distracted by some off-court legal wrangle right now but these problems were always present. He's become very passive, he certainly played with much more aggression/creativity in his earlier years on tour, but he's simply a grinder now. He can win many slams, but a serious overhaul will be needed.

Amongst all of yesterday's results it almost passed me by that Ostapenko is already out. She's gone as far as she'll ever go now, she'll need to make some radical changes to become a competitive player again. Happy to see Azarenka win, she's not in the worst half of the draw so if she can find some form it'd be nice to see her make a run. I really hope she's got something left in her career, she's still not even 30.

Oh and also pleased to see the Greek edgelord got bumped out in round 1 :cool:

Surprised so many seem to think Kyrgios will be some form of test for Nadal, I see Nadal winning comfortably. He'll drop a set at worst, imo. Kyrgios will obviously be fired up for the match, but so will Nadal. And anyway, all that's coming out from Kyrgios' press conferences recently is how little he's training, staying out till 4am, playing Fifa till 3am etc. If he's not even doing the basics right then surely he doesn't stand a chance against an athlete of Nadal's calibre? I mean he looked quite winded against Thompson at times today. A very rare moment for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting for Nadal on Thursday.

Yeah Murray really strikes me as a publicity seeker alright! Anyone would jump at the chance to play with arguably the greatest female player of all time

It is. We already know he asked half of the WTA before making a statement that he couldn't find anyone. Only then did someone suggest Serena. He did everything in his power to not play with her but might as well now, at least it'll look good.
    Surprised so many seem to think Kyrgios will be some form of test for Nadal, I see Nadal winning comfortably.

I don't know. Kyrgios is the type of guy who excels when faced with bigger competition. He's so talented that the game by and large bores him. But he wakes up a bit against the big names because it becomes interesting for him again. I think we might see a match.

A very rare moment for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting for Nadal on Thursday.
    It's fine to root against Nick, sport needs it's villains, but - I really don't understand a lot of people saying he's bad for the game. I personally love watching him play and having a go at the likes of Nadal/Djokovic. Makes the sport much more interesting and after Federer retires he's probably the guy I'll root for most, even if he can be an idiot the odd time.

Saying that, did anyone watch Tomic yesterday? I think emo-boy has issues off the tennis court and a fierce sense of self-pity. Watching him not bother to move around the court vs Tsonga, and then smile when he lost, just to show his face to collect the $$$ made me want to punch him in the face. He's the biggest moron on the ATP.

Was disappointed to see Muguruza go out yesterday. A lot of the big hitters on the women's side seem to have problems mentally over the past few years. Lisicki lost in qualifiers here, her form has become non-existent. Ostapenko hasn't done much since people started really noticing her. Bit crestfallen about it because it's my favourite kind of tennis and I support these players.

Speaking of drops in form, where on earth is Laura Robson these days?

Assume she can barely make a living out of the game anymore? What a talent she was when she was younger, goes to show what can happen..

Speaking of drops in form, where on earth is Laura Robson these days?

Assume she can barely make a living out of the game anymore? What a talent she was when she was younger, goes to show what can happen..

She got badly injured I think???

She's had a few injuries and surgeries but she's had an extraordinary amount of failed comebacks at this stage.

I suppose its probably virtually impossible to have the motivation to work your way up from the bottom again. I've seen her do punditry on Wimbledon, she may aswell just stick with that and try and get into coaching/set up an academy or whatever, at this stage

She's probably losing money now heading to events in the back end of nowhere to play to a man and his dog

Another year, another disastrous Wimbledon for Wawrinka

Even the extra week after the FO doesn't seem to have given him any incentive to improve himself on the surface. No semi-final ever for a player of his stature is pretty poor going tbh

Novak has a clear path to the final now. Free wimbledon for him at this point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement