Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

**** him, tournament is better off without him.

Just back in from a work trip and catching today at Wimbledon briefly talking about it while they close the roof in the Murray match. The state of him in his press conference. Was aiming to hit Nadal in the chest, why would he apologise, the chair umpire is a dick etc etc.

He's not a "real character" or "enfant terrible" or any other cliché like the ones he was referred to in the buildup to the match. He's a twat who has the talent to play tennis at an incredibly high level. Nothing more to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just back in from a work trip and catching today at Wimbledon briefly talking about it while they close the roof in the Murray match. The state of him in his press conference. Was aiming to hit Nadal in the chest, why would he apologise, the chair umpire is a dick etc etc.

He's not a "real character" or "enfant terrible" or any other cliché like the ones he was referred to in the buildup to the match. He's a twat who has the talent to play tennis at an incredibly high level. Nothing more to it

We’re talking about him though. Speaks volumes.

He’s entertaining.

Most players have extremely boring personalities.

I’d prefer if he worked harder and took the sport and his talent more seriously.

But I enjoy his honesty and his temper tantrums. It’s refreshing. Not many personalities in the sport since Ivanesevic retired.

Thought he held himself together pretty well today. Not much between the two players. Just poor concentration in key moments.

yep, so many anodyne fakes out there pretending that butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. until the mask slippeth

the crap with the umpires is largely a pain in the ass but I find him speaking his mind refreshing.

go listen to the rothenberg podcast episode. you will understand him more then

he just does his own thing, doesn't give a sh1t about "wasted talent" and all that. he says he'd much rather be playing a team game like basketball. just happens to be really talented at tennis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I think he got unlucky in the beginning of that last tie break. Match deserved a 5th set if you ask me.
    Was aiming to hit Nadal in the chest, why would he apologise

He's 100% right, why would he? Completely legal shot.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    yep, so many anodyne fakes out there pretending that butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. until the mask slippeth

the crap with the umpires is largely a pain in the ass but I find him speaking his mind refreshing.

go listen to the rothenberg podcast episode. you will understand him more then

he just does his own thing, doesn't give a sh1t about "wasted talent" and all that. he says he'd much rather be playing a team game like basketball. just happens to be really talented at tennis.

This is it. There are tons of people in life who half arse their jobs, show up to the office hungover, take extended coffee breaks etc. He’s half arsing his job. His job just happens to pay a lot more.

That said, I’d love to see him take it really seriously, even just for two years or so. Give it a good shot for a short space of time. I genuinely like the guy. He’s harmless in the grand scheme of things.

"We're talking about him though"

What does that matter? Is that an achievement or something? He's a petulant brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Out game set and match yet again in the first week of a major and nothing to show for it. He’ll be in the papers tomorrow for all the wrong reasons and forgotten about on Saturday.
    Let’s face it. He’s a badly raised obnoxious twat. So was Mac when he was that age but he was already a grand slam winner so had proved he could back up his big fat mouth.
    This guys done nothing and he’ll suddenly find he’s 30 and wasted a terrific talent in his efforts to be “tennis’s bad boy”.
    The crowd were jeering him there at stages in that match.
    Marat Safin was mercurial but managed to be charming and entertaining and not so offensive and of course won a slam at least.
    Good Wimbledon so far. Can’t see anyone beating Nole.
    Kvitova for the ladies.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This is it. There are tons of people in life who half arse their jobs, show up to the office hungover, take extended coffee breaks etc. He’s half arsing his job. His job just happens to pay a lot more.

That said, I’d love to see him take it really seriously, even just for two years or so. Give it a good shot for a short space of time. I genuinely like the guy. He’s harmless in the grand scheme of things.

I agree but he does have the right to live his life the way he wants (within reason).

even Agassi said that he didn't really like tennis at all and he worked a lot harder than Krygios obviously and achieved way way more.

he's probably a dick to hang out with but I think that his "shake-up" effect on tennis is needed to an extent as an outlier.

there is a definite issue with so many Aussie male players being lazy and semi or fully sort of knob-ends - not sure exactly why - definitely a sort of a cultural thing.

team sports and the team-spirit seem to suit them more (and they can be just as annoying there also).

And someone who’s looking to boost his earnings through endorsements and sponsorship- he knows he’ll never be a “great” so he’s just milking these events for publicity to make more money. It’s all a very selfish show imho

• Advertisement

I agree but he does have the right to live his life the way he wants (within reason).

even Agassi said that he didn't really like tennis at all and he worked a lot harder than Krygios obviously and achieved way way more.

he's probably a dick to hang out with but I think that his "shake-up" effect on tennis is needed to an extent as an outlier.

there is a definite issue with so many Aussie male players being lazy and semi or fully sort of knob-ends - not sure exactly why - definitely a sort of a cultural thing.

team sports and the team-spirit seem to suit them more (and they can be just as annoying there also).

Hmm not sure. I lived there for over 3 years and was heavily involved in an individual sport (athletics). The vast majority of people I met through it were very nice. There’s definitely an element of confidence and cockiness, but then again they produce winners. Their Olympic record across a range of sports, despite a relatively small population dominated by non Olympic team sports speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

The difference with half arsing most jobs is people don't spend their recreation time and pay money to watch others work in an office.

It's understandable not putting a full effort into a mundane everyday job that nobody dreamed of doing, it's not quite as understandable that you wouldn't put full effort into a dream job like being a professional sports person is.

99% of people have no rel talent for anything, he clearly has a load of talent and is wasting it and it probably winds people up particularly tennis fans a large percentage of whom would love to have had the talent and opportunities he's had presented to him but is choosing to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Sure plenty of people half arse jobs but they are frequently not twats about it. Just get on with half passing instead behaving like an idiot.

I don't think he is a good guy but I agree he is harmless. I don't see him involved in anything truly stupid. Just likes to be the center of attention.

Honestly I really don't think he has the ability to take it seriously anymore than other players don't have the ability to increase their talent. The ability to work hard at something and put the effort in is an underrated talent and not a skill everyone has. Most just get weeded out before they reach this level.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only caught the first two sets of the match, but Nadal did it in four as I expected.

No big shock that Kerber couldn't handle the pressure of being defending champion, Serena is surely breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Sure plenty of people half arse jobs but they are frequently not twats about it. Just get on with half passing instead behaving like an idiot.

I don't think he is a good guy but I agree he is harmless. I don't see him involved in anything truly stupid. Just likes to be the center of attention.

Honestly I really don't think he has the ability to take it seriously anymore than other players don't have the ability to increase their talent. The ability to work hard at something and put the effort in is an underrated talent and not a skill everyone has. Most just get weeded out before they reach this level.

that's true - application and mental strength is a huge strength in itself.

just because he can play great shots doesn't mean he is the be-all-and-end-all

look at Roy Keane who was technically below average for the level he played at yet made application and mental strength his forte.

obviously in tennis you need both skill / talent and application to succeed but the point stands as a comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Credit where it's due, I thought Nadal actually played really well. I tipped Kyrgios before the match as I assumed he would show up for this match, and he did. However, I had not factored that Nadal would play so well, as usually he is susceptible in the first week against big hitters. His draw has sort of opened-up and, if he negotiates Tsonga (not a given at all), he is on a collision course with Fed. Given the way Fed is playing, I could only see one winner there. Still a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,496 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We’re talking about him though. Speaks volumes.

He’s entertaining.

Most players have extremely boring personalities.

I’d prefer if he worked harder and took the sport and his talent more seriously.

But I enjoy his honesty and his temper tantrums. It’s refreshing. Not many personalities in the sport since Ivanesevic retired.

Thought he held himself together pretty well today. Not much between the two players. Just poor concentration in key moments.

There's entertaining and there's being an absolute pr1ck

Shame you can't see the difference...

Dunno about everyone else, but I like to watch tennis to watch the the tennis and like it to be of a high quality. Antics, being a character, being "box office" etc, if I wanted that I'd go watch WWE or something.

One of the things people bang in about is Kyrgios' obscure and "daring" shot selection. Call it what it is - wrong shot selection. Tweeners when there's no need. Behind the back volleys. They come off once in a blue moon and this is somehow laudable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Looking forward to Vesely paire today

Dunno about everyone else, but I like to watch tennis to watch the the tennis and like it to be of a high quality. Antics, being a character, being "box office" etc, if I wanted that I'd go watch WWE or something.

One of the things people bang in about is Kyrgios' obscure and "daring" shot selection. Call it what it is - wrong shot selection. Tweeners when there's no need. Behind the back volleys. They come off once in a blue moon and this is somehow laudable.

Granted winning is the most important thing, and Kyrgios doesn’t do that much. But, there’s a reason people remember Alex Higgins, and nobody outside of diehards of the sport will ever remember Graeme Dott. Alex Higgins was a bit of a prick too and was wildly inconsistent. People tuned in to watch him.

But Kyrgios needs to start winning. His bad boy antics, alongside winning performances is something the sport could do with. Doubt it will happen. But rivalries where lads openly dislike each other is fun to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Granted winning is the most important thing, and Kyrgios doesn’t do that much. But, there’s a reason people remember Alex Higgins, and nobody outside of diehards of the sport will ever remember Graeme Dott. Alex Higgins was a bit of a prick too and was wildly inconsistent. People tuned in to watch him.

But Kyrgios needs to start winning. His bad boy antics, alongside winning performances is something the sport could do with. Doubt it will happen. But rivalries where lads openly dislike each other is fun to watch.

But Higgins won a world championship, and was pretty competitive despite being 'colourful'. I not sure his widespread appeal acutally did much for Snooker after his departure, i mean, the casual fans who watched him to see what how he was going to act the maggot were watching him and didnt care too much about snooker beyone that. and I see Kyrgios in the same way.

McEnroe drew a crowd, but he was winning slams, was consistently one of the best players around and was having actual on court rivalries with other great players. again, totally different to Kyrgios who wont be talked about after today until the next time he goes on a podcast and calls someone a p?@ck

I always rooted for Mac during the day, but he was another out and out pr1ck...A horrible sore loser...yes, he really did get the non tennis/casuals interested...

Usain Bolt is an entertainer; Muhammad Ali was an entertainer...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah Kyrgios. His honesty? Really?

Everything he does is dishonest. He tarnishes his sport with the example he sets to kids watching. He disrespects players and officials that have achieved tons more than him through hard work and are entitled to sportsman like respect. As quite rightly pointed out, he is half-arsing his career, lumping around in the ATP 40s and taking spots in tournaments off people who are really grafting to be there. Imagine what he could do if he applied himself?

He's an impudent little man-child and he needs a year or two off to cool his jets before either conducting himself properly or buying himself a bar in Surfers Paradise and disappearing into obscurity.

lostcat wrote: »
    Kyrgios who wont be talked about after today until the next time he goes on a podcast and calls someone a p?@ck

he didn't call anyone a prick

he said - Nadal is a salty loser - true
    Djokovic tries too hard to be liked and has a ridiculous victory celebration - true
    cringe - https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--9j9v9PG0--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/sdiq2zyihvmba5cok2ii.mp4
    Praise for Fed and Murray.

that's about it.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah Kyrgios. His honesty? Really?

Everything he does is dishonest. He tarnishes his sport with the example he sets to kids watching. He disrespects players and officials that have achieved tons more than him through hard work and are entitled to sportsman like respect. As quite rightly pointed out, he is half-arsing his career, lumping around in the ATP 40s and taking spots in tournaments off people who are really grafting to be there. Imagine what he could do if he applied himself?

He's an impudent little man-child and he needs a year or two off to cool his jets before either conducting himself properly or buying himself a bar in Surfers Paradise and disappearing into obscurity.

He’s not as dishonest, or defrauding his sport as much as those taking performance enhancing drugs to enhance their performances. Always remember that. There are many out there in the tennis world who are taking us all for fools. The sooner it’s exposed the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I quite liked his underarm ace yesterday too, can't see anything wrong with that. If it's so bad then change the rules, if not let him at it.

He’s not as dishonest, or defrauding his sport as much as those taking performance enhancing drugs to enhance their performances. Always remember that. There are many out there in the tennis world who are taking us all for fools. The sooner it’s exposed the better.

That's code for what, exactly?

Oh, and who says he is clean? Seeing as you seem so sure about certain successful players...

Djokovic tries too hard to be liked and has a ridiculous victory celebration - true
    cringe - https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--9j9v9PG0--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/sdiq2zyihvmba5cok2ii.mp4

that's about it.

Yes, maybe true what he is saying,,,

But he's still a pr1ck...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

that's about it.

fair enough, for the record he didnt use any swear words etc, however he got a lot of mileage out of what he did say, which was without much point and didnt add anything to anyones understanding of anything. also dont forget what he said to Wawrinka a few years ago during their match which was lacking in good taste, to say the least.
    he is 'doing his own thing' hats off to him, but he clearly doesnt like tennis (or training) very much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

that's about it.

You forgot kokkinakis banged your girl.

Advertisement