Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Don't know what year this was from,but I remember an ad for Erin gravy/soup which had this lovely Irish song:

"By myself I'd be in Árdaí Chuain
    Where the mountains stand away.....
    Éire lon dubh is ó
    Ahh the quiet land of Erin."

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Remember the animated ad for Batchelors Beans?
    Barney and Beaney were agents for the FBI(Finest Beans in Ireland),and they were tackling The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans,and they save a poor housewife from eating Mean Beans by exposing The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans using the Mean Bean Machine.....

I think that was the first time Barney and Beaney were ever given voices!

Not the same ad but here are the two boyos themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

darkdubh wrote: »

Thanks for that - wish I was 10 again....

Having problems again viewing it unfortunately....I'm just gonna try it this way just to see if it'll work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64P-KO7ias8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep,it worked-gosh I'd have only been 5 when that was out....

• Advertisement

"Monday's child is full of grace,
    Tuesday's child is ?? ?? ??,
    Wednesday's child is full of woe,
    Thursday's child has far to go,
    Friday's child is loving and giving,
    Saturday's child works hard for a living,
    Sunday's child ?? ?? ?? ??..."

Remember they used that poem in an ad for Brennans Bread?

Around the same time it was also used in an ad for Cadburys Crunchie,and it had the line:
    "Friday's child is full of.....CRRRUNCHIEEEEEE!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Anyone remember the Tayto ad for salt and vinegar crisps- a catchy song starring Old Dan Salt and Victor Vinegar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Anyone remember the Tayto ad for salt and vinegar crisps- a catchy song starring Old Dan Salt and Victor Vinegar?

I'm Old Dan Salt
    I'm Victor Vinegar
    The best darn taste since time begin-eger
    Our crisps are the outright win-eger
    Tayto Salt and Vinegar

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I'm Old Dan Salt
    I'm Victor Vinegar
    The best darn taste since time begin-eger
    Our crisps are the outright win-eger
    Tayto Salt and Vinegar

:o

Thanks for that, I've being trying to remember that song for decades. That was back when the S&V ones were in a red pack that looked nothing like the C&O packet, too, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    That brings it all back. We used say "f*ck off" when we saw their ad appear.

Yes I remember that advert too. Think it would have been around 1989 or 1990. I can actually recall it very well indeed as I have quite a visual memory Think the first shot was the mother holding up what looked like an artist drawing of the box of Radion Automatic and she said something like....

"Hi Creagh family productions presents"
    "Hi I'm Mrs Creagh and this is our commercial for Radion."

The did indeed go on a hiking walk along the mountains of Tramore or very near it. Not too sure if there were any girls involved but there was deffinatey a Dad and two or three sons involved as well, one of whom I think wore the goalkeeper's kit of the Irish Soccer Team at the time.

one of the kids did indeed chant, "Dad doesn't know the way-ay!" If I recall rightly, they all ended up in a forest. Don't quite know how, but one of the sons ended up smelling his dad's smelly shirt and exclaimed, "Ohh! that smells under your arm!"

Anyway when they got back home, another of the kids waved at the camera and remarked, "A brainwave!"

Then at the end of the ad, one of the kids (possible two) burst out laughing and said, "This was a Creagh family production!"

Some people I know, probably would have found that ad a little annoying but I kind of liked it. Wouldn't mind seeing it again actually.

• Advertisement

That's EXACTLY it. :-) ;-)

remember that ad extremely well. Haven't see it in years! used to love it!

remember that ad extremely well. Haven't see it in years! used to love it!

Heard that tune again on the radio only yesterday-"Marino Waltz" by The Dubliners I think.
    That ad springs back at me every time.
    There is a new Bórd Na Móna ad on the box now and compared with the old one tis rubbish....

Heard that tune again on the radio only yesterday-"Marino Waltz" by The Dubliners I think.
    That ad springs back at me every time.
    There is a new Bórd Na Móna ad on the box now and compared with the old one tis rubbish....
    that

yes it is indeed called "Marino Waltz". Heard John Sheehan of the Dubliners peforming it on the late late show a while ago I think

Does anybody remember the Cray or Crea family,who did their own TV ad for Radion washing powder in the late 80s?It was shown a lot on RTÉ television.

Yes I remember that advert too. Think it would have been around 1989 or 1990. I can actually recall it very well indeed as I have quite a visual memory Think it went something like this:

The first shot was the mother holding up what looked like an artist drawing of the box of Radion Automatic and she said something like....

"Hi Creagh family productions presents"
    "Hi I'm Mrs Creagh and this is our commercial for Radion."

The did indeed go on a hiking walk along the mountains of Tramore or very near it. Not too sure if there were any girls involved but there was deffinatey a Dad and two or three sons involved as well, one of whom I think wore the goalkeeper's kit of the Irish Soccer Team at the time.

one of the kids did indeed chant, "Dad doesn't know the way-ay!" If I recall rightly, they all ended up in a forest. Don't quite know how, but one of the sons ended up smelling his dad's smelly shirt and exclaimed, "Ohh! that smells under your arm!"

Anyway when they got back home, another of the kids waved at the camera and remarked, "A brainwave!"

Then at the end of the ad, one of the kids (possible two) burst out laughing and said, "This was a Creagh family production!"

Some people I know, probably would have found that ad a little annoying but I kind of liked it. Wouldn't mind seeing it again actually.

url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AgoC5QBG-P0[/url

Think that Creagh family Radion advert was similar to this one from the UK. In this case this was the Thatcher family

Does anybody remember an ad for a thing called "ERAD"?

As far as I recall,it was a product for the eradication of something-either in the home or something involving livestock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Radio commercial for acne treatment / face wash on RTE radio.
    Probably Clearasil. (was oxy in Ireland then?)
    Late 70s early 80s

It consisted of mostly funny sound effects like squelching squeezing buzz, frting etc (all the usual clown noises) being used instead of various words in the ad.

I've done a few searches and cant even find a reference to it.
    Anyone even remember it?

Remember an ad for Bold washing powder-twas called Bold 3 back then-there's a kids soccer team and they've just lost a match 10-0.The coach is giving them hell in the dressing room,and two of the kids blame it on the jerseys,saying that they "felt too scratchy".
    So,the coach goes off shopping to buy somethin to wash the jerseys with,and he buys a load of Bold 3 and shouts "A-ha!! Now I'll get some results!!"

But......

The lost their next game 12-0!!
    The coach is at it again in the changing room,and this time some of the boys say "....but coach,we can't play in these boots!!"

Remember an ad for Bold washing powder-twas called Bold 3 back then-there's a kids soccer team and they've just lost a match 10-0.The coach is giving them hell in the dressing room,and two of the kids blame it on the jerseys,saying that they "felt too scratchy".
    So,the coach goes off shopping to buy somethin to wash the jerseys with,and he buys a load of Bold 3 and shouts "A-ha!! Now I'll get some results!!"

But......

The lost their next game 12-0!!
    The coach is at it again in the changing room,and this time some of the boys say "....but coach,we can't play in these boots!!"
    There was another line in it "We just can't concentrate" there was a guy in my class in school who was very amused by that line and used to be always saying it.

I've been remembering a few beer ads lately without knowing which beer they are for...
    This latest one is where there's a group of them in a pub doing a crossword puzzle,and one of the clues is "...A place of perfection" with 6 letters.One of the group suggests "Heaven",but it turns out that the word should have the letter "t" in it.Then somebody else picks up his pint,looks at it and slowly and proudly says "Utopia",and the ad ends with him taking a swig of the pint.

• Advertisement

Here comes another Bold 3 ad......

Two boys are going upstairs to bed and one of them shouts down "Eh,Mum...is my cricket outfit ready?"
    Mum gives him a worried look,pulls the outfit out of the drawer and there is a big stain on the jumper.The boy starts complaining that there will be a team photo taken tomorrow,but Mum says "...well it's too late to wash them now-you'll have to fold your arms tomorrow".The boy goes to bed whinging,but Mum changes her mind,washes the outfit and they come out clean-needless to say.

Next morning the boys set off,Mum gives him his bag and he says "Thanks Mum,I knew you'd do it!!"
    The photo is taken-and of course everyone else in the photo has their arms folded EXCEPT him......

I've been remembering a few beer ads lately without knowing which beer they are for...
    This latest one is where there's a group of them in a pub doing a crossword puzzle,and one of the clues is "...A place of perfection" with 6 letters.One of the group suggests "Heaven",but it turns out that the word should have the letter "t" in it.Then somebody else picks up his pint,looks at it and slowly and proudly says "Utopia",and the ad ends with him taking a swig of the pint.
    I think this one was Harp. Pretty sure I have the ad lying around somewhere.

URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AgoC5QBG-P0[/URL

Think that Creagh family Radion advert was similar to this one from the UK. In this case this was the Thatcher family

Search over.The Creaghs appear at .28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

You just brought me right back. My daughter had the Tomy Lullaby Light Show (last ad in that video)! (she's 22 now.)

I originally posted this in the Christmas forum but I think it'll be right at home here too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The bit where one of them comments on the Dads smelly armpits reminds me of another ad that was on roughly the same time.It was for washing powder and was clearly European because it had the most hilariously bad dubbing.In it the father is I think returning home from work and his young daughter hugs him.She looks up then at him and says in a really deadpan voice "Oh Daddy,your shirt smells!"I used to burst my hole laughing at it anyone remember it?

The bit where one of them comments on the Dads smelly armpits reminds me of another ad that was on roughly the same time.It was for washing powder and was clearly European because it had the most hilariously bad dubbing.In it the father is I think returning home from work and his young daughter hugs him.She looks up then at him and says in a really deadpan voice "Oh Daddy,your shirt smells!"I used to burst my hole laughing at it anyone remember it?

Yep-that was for Radion as well.
    Soon after the girl says that line,the ma says to the da and son ".....ye hit the showers,I'll take yer shirts."

The ad starts where they are cleaning windows,and the son says "...well that's ten windows done..." and the da replies "....yeah-but this shirt smells like we've done a hundred".

There was a British-dubbed version of that same ad also,and it hurts to say but the acting is way better....

Does Radion exist anymore? I'm pretty sure I haven't heard of it for a while.

Eeden wrote: »

It does but it's not the same as it used to be.

• Advertisement

Nope-twas taken off the market somewhere in the mid nineties.I work in a supermarket,and back then I was told by the assistant manager that if any customer looked for Radion Sun Fresh,I was to tell them that Radion was finished,and that Surf Sun Fresh was coming in instead.

I still remember the first ad that came out for it on Irish TV-twas somebody who looked like a newsreader in a studio,and there was a mini screen in the top corner with a woman ironing her clothes and smelling them,while the "newsreader" says "...do your clothes sometimes smell when you iron them?" and then he says ".....well now we have....RADION!!"

And on British TV,Anne Diamond was doing ads for Radion Micro,with the slogan "...It's The Best Yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 19 heehaw

Does anyone remember a yop ad, may have been the 90's though, it was like playdough animated with wrestlers stretching each other, a parrot squaking "yes" and a town crier shouting oh yop oh yop. The line at the end was "dont say yes say yop". I have yet to find anyone who even remembers this ad, its as if I made it up in my head. It was the most bizzare advert I've ever seen. Used to be on during the den i think. Any help to find a clip of it would be great
    Thanks

heehaw wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a yop ad, may have been the 90's though, it was like playdough animated with wrestlers stretching each other, a parrot squaking "yes" and a town crier shouting oh yop oh yop. The line at the end was "dont say yes say yop". I have yet to find anyone who even remembers this ad, its as if I made it up in my head. It was the most bizzare advert I've ever seen. Used to be on during the den i think. Any help to find a clip of it would be great
    Thanks

Yep....or should I say Yop...:-)
    I remember bits of that ad-I think it started off with somebody calling out kids names and they were answering "yop", and then there was somebody ringing a bell and then a submarine comes crashing down on top of him .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yep....or should I say Yop...:-)
    I remember bits of that ad-I think it started off with somebody calling out kids names and they were answering "yop", and then there was somebody ringing a bell and then a submarine comes crashing down on top of him .......

Ha! I remembered the town crier well but had forgotten the submarine. Surreal! I'd love to see that again!

Thank god you lads remember it, i thought i was cracking up. Cant find any evidence of it on the net, not even discussion about it so i assume it was a one off for the Irish market. Was very surreal alright and would be great to see it again

Thank god you lads remember it, i thought i was cracking up. Cant find any evidence of it on the net, not even discussion about it so i assume it was a one off for the Irish market. Was very surreal alright and would be great to see it again

Twas on Irish TV alright but I don't think it was an Irish ad-from what I remember they were English accents throughout the ad....I'm even startin to remember the names that were called out at the start of the ad and they were pushin each other out of the way....."Gerald...Johnny...James...George....Julia..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Here you go!

I have no idea what I just watched :pac:

Professey Chin thanks for putting me out of my misery, its great to see it after all the years! Who the hell made that ad, its just bonkers

What were they smoking?!?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Oh man

I remember moving to Dublin in 1982 from the UK, TV wouldn't start until mid afternoon (Bosco....wtf was that all about:D) and during ad breaks there would be "normal" ads for all the usual ****e and then there would be the "cheap" ads as my dad used to call them. These ads (usually for fertilizer) were two alternating boring voices telling us all about net nitrate and net urea and how whatever they were selling was great on the auld tapeworm and ringworm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Professey Chin thanks for putting me out of my misery, its great to see it after all the years! Who the hell made that ad, its just bonkers

+1 Thank you so much Professey! Gave me such a laugh this morning! :D

• Advertisement

Here you go!

I have no idea what I just watched :pac:

Ha,great seeing that one again.The bit with the table football was a none too subtle dig at Maradona and the infamous hand of God incident which would have been two years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Anyone remember the "Solara" ads? For the Talbot Solara car, a heap of absolute sh1t.

it was done in a series, which always had some smug bastard asking something like "Jim, was that your Solara I saw at the club the other night?" or some such crap.

That Yop ad got me thinking of a similar weird one from the 80s for Caprison(or was it Kaprison?).It featured these claymation characters waiting at a bus stop and two of them get into an argument about squash and Caprision.At the end one of them melts into a puddle of goo.I've often wondered if I dreamt it.

That Yop ad got me thinking of a similar weird one from the 80s for Caprison(or was it Kaprison?).It featured these claymation characters waiting at a bus stop and two of them get into an argument about squash and Caprision.At the end one of them melts into a puddle of goo.I've often wondered if I dreamt it.

That ad,I think,was for Capri-Sun.
    I vaguely remember some of the ad where one of them is drinking ordinary orange squash and the other is drinking Capri-Sun,every time the former said "squash" the latter said "capri-sun",and it ended up with the squash one either gettin squashed himself or melting while still saying "squash".

That ad,I think,was for Capri-Sun.
    I vaguely remember some of the ad where one of them is drinking ordinary orange squash and the other is drinking Capri-Sun,every time the former said "squash" the latter said "capri-sun",and it ended up with the squash one either gettin squashed himself or melting while still saying "squash".

Yes thats it.Theres more of it coming back to me now.There was a bit at the start where a boy was bouncing a ball and it melted and splattered onto the footpath.The lad deffo melted at the end I can picture it clearly in my head now and I remember as well there was a shot of someone reading a newspaper with the headline "What a scorcher!".I think it may have come out during one of those really hot summers ,86 maybe and that was what all the melting was a reference to.Have tried looking for it now on YT with no success.

Nope-twas taken off the market somewhere in the mid nineties.I work in a supermarket,and back then I was told by the assistant manager that if any customer looked for Radion Sun Fresh,I was to tell them that Radion was finished,and that Surf Sun Fresh was coming in instead.

I still remember the first ad that came out for it on Irish TV-twas somebody who looked like a newsreader in a studigrio,and there was a mini screen in the top corner with a woman ironing her clothes and smelling them,while the "newsreader" says "...do your clothes sometimes smell when you iron them?" and then he says ".....well now we have....RADION!!"

And on British TV,Anne Diamond was doing ads for Radion Micro,with the slogan "...It's The Best Yet".

That's right. I remember those Radion adverts as well. One of the ones that really stands out for me,is the one with the woman wearing the red business suit who was walking around London with various shots of people (men and women) going about their daily business.

She was saying things like "Livng your everyday life your clothes pick up all sorts of gime and smells! Phew! the traffic! Eating out! Working out!...phew! The kind of greasy dirt that can cause stale odours! You need Radion Micro! Now that's as clean and fresh as your clothes can get!"

I've seen one version of that advert on youtube in very low resolution. I'm pretty sure there's a slightly longer version with two shots: (1) of two business women wearing a business skirt suit and business dress suit and (2) a mother wearing a beige shirt dress out with her kids smiling.

I really hope someone else can remember these two ads-otherwise I could have just dreamt them...

An ad for HB Jelly Split ice-pop,where me man is describing the taste of it and his voice is going all funny and hysterical,and near the end he screams "....you must resist it because....ONE BITE WILL TURN YOU INTO JELLY!!"

The other one-I haven't a bulls notion what this was about-but there were different people in different workplaces in different parts of the world,sayin the line "ANN GLYNN THINKS SHE HAS CRACKED IT".

Please tell me someone remembers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I can remember the ad with "Anne Glynn thinks she's cracked it"; it was an ad for a bank.

...The other one-I haven't a bulls notion what this was about-but there were different people in different workplaces in different parts of the world,sayin the line "ANN GLYNN THINKS SHE HAS CRACKED IT".

Please tell me someone remembers :-)

I vaguely remember this one, but not what it was for or what they thought they had cracked. You've got me wondering now!

I vaguely remember this one, but not what it was for or what they thought they had cracked. You've got me wondering now!

And guess what??
    Ive just remembered another ad similar to that one-the trouble is the only thing I remember is that in this ad the line they are saying is "DAVID MALONE HAS GONE THROUGH THE ROOF" or something....

• Advertisement
Advertisement