Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE ads from the 80s...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 heehaw

Does anyone remember a yop ad, may have been the 90's though, it was like playdough animated with wrestlers stretching each other, a parrot squaking "yes" and a town crier shouting oh yop oh yop. The line at the end was "dont say yes say yop". I have yet to find anyone who even remembers this ad, its as if I made it up in my head. It was the most bizzare advert I've ever seen. Used to be on during the den i think. Any help to find a clip of it would be great
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

heehaw wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a yop ad, may have been the 90's though, it was like playdough animated with wrestlers stretching each other, a parrot squaking "yes" and a town crier shouting oh yop oh yop. The line at the end was "dont say yes say yop". I have yet to find anyone who even remembers this ad, its as if I made it up in my head. It was the most bizzare advert I've ever seen. Used to be on during the den i think. Any help to find a clip of it would be great
    Thanks

Yep....or should I say Yop...:-)
    I remember bits of that ad-I think it started off with somebody calling out kids names and they were answering "yop", and then there was somebody ringing a bell and then a submarine comes crashing down on top of him .......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Seasan wrote: »
    Yep....or should I say Yop...:-)
    I remember bits of that ad-I think it started off with somebody calling out kids names and they were answering "yop", and then there was somebody ringing a bell and then a submarine comes crashing down on top of him .......

Ha! I remembered the town crier well but had forgotten the submarine. Surreal! I'd love to see that again!

Thank god you lads remember it, i thought i was cracking up. Cant find any evidence of it on the net, not even discussion about it so i assume it was a one off for the Irish market. Was very surreal alright and would be great to see it again

Thank god you lads remember it, i thought i was cracking up. Cant find any evidence of it on the net, not even discussion about it so i assume it was a one off for the Irish market. Was very surreal alright and would be great to see it again

Twas on Irish TV alright but I don't think it was an Irish ad-from what I remember they were English accents throughout the ad....I'm even startin to remember the names that were called out at the start of the ad and they were pushin each other out of the way....."Gerald...Johnny...James...George....Julia..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Here you go!

I have no idea what I just watched :pac:

Professey Chin thanks for putting me out of my misery, its great to see it after all the years! Who the hell made that ad, its just bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

What were they smoking?!?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Oh man

I remember moving to Dublin in 1982 from the UK, TV wouldn't start until mid afternoon (Bosco....wtf was that all about:D) and during ad breaks there would be "normal" ads for all the usual ****e and then there would be the "cheap" ads as my dad used to call them. These ads (usually for fertilizer) were two alternating boring voices telling us all about net nitrate and net urea and how whatever they were selling was great on the auld tapeworm and ringworm.

Professey Chin thanks for putting me out of my misery, its great to see it after all the years! Who the hell made that ad, its just bonkers

+1 Thank you so much Professey! Gave me such a laugh this morning! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Here you go!

I have no idea what I just watched :pac:

Ha,great seeing that one again.The bit with the table football was a none too subtle dig at Maradona and the infamous hand of God incident which would have been two years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Anyone remember the "Solara" ads? For the Talbot Solara car, a heap of absolute sh1t.

it was done in a series, which always had some smug bastard asking something like "Jim, was that your Solara I saw at the club the other night?" or some such crap.

That Yop ad got me thinking of a similar weird one from the 80s for Caprison(or was it Kaprison?).It featured these claymation characters waiting at a bus stop and two of them get into an argument about squash and Caprision.At the end one of them melts into a puddle of goo.I've often wondered if I dreamt it.

darkdubh wrote: »
    That Yop ad got me thinking of a similar weird one from the 80s for Caprison(or was it Kaprison?).It featured these claymation characters waiting at a bus stop and two of them get into an argument about squash and Caprision.At the end one of them melts into a puddle of goo.I've often wondered if I dreamt it.

That ad,I think,was for Capri-Sun.
    I vaguely remember some of the ad where one of them is drinking ordinary orange squash and the other is drinking Capri-Sun,every time the former said "squash" the latter said "capri-sun",and it ended up with the squash one either gettin squashed himself or melting while still saying "squash".

That ad,I think,was for Capri-Sun.
    I vaguely remember some of the ad where one of them is drinking ordinary orange squash and the other is drinking Capri-Sun,every time the former said "squash" the latter said "capri-sun",and it ended up with the squash one either gettin squashed himself or melting while still saying "squash".

Yes thats it.Theres more of it coming back to me now.There was a bit at the start where a boy was bouncing a ball and it melted and splattered onto the footpath.The lad deffo melted at the end I can picture it clearly in my head now and I remember as well there was a shot of someone reading a newspaper with the headline "What a scorcher!".I think it may have come out during one of those really hot summers ,86 maybe and that was what all the melting was a reference to.Have tried looking for it now on YT with no success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Nope-twas taken off the market somewhere in the mid nineties.I work in a supermarket,and back then I was told by the assistant manager that if any customer looked for Radion Sun Fresh,I was to tell them that Radion was finished,and that Surf Sun Fresh was coming in instead.

I still remember the first ad that came out for it on Irish TV-twas somebody who looked like a newsreader in a studigrio,and there was a mini screen in the top corner with a woman ironing her clothes and smelling them,while the "newsreader" says "...do your clothes sometimes smell when you iron them?" and then he says ".....well now we have....RADION!!"

And on British TV,Anne Diamond was doing ads for Radion Micro,with the slogan "...It's The Best Yet".

That's right. I remember those Radion adverts as well. One of the ones that really stands out for me,is the one with the woman wearing the red business suit who was walking around London with various shots of people (men and women) going about their daily business.

She was saying things like "Livng your everyday life your clothes pick up all sorts of gime and smells! Phew! the traffic! Eating out! Working out!...phew! The kind of greasy dirt that can cause stale odours! You need Radion Micro! Now that's as clean and fresh as your clothes can get!"

I've seen one version of that advert on youtube in very low resolution. I'm pretty sure there's a slightly longer version with two shots: (1) of two business women wearing a business skirt suit and business dress suit and (2) a mother wearing a beige shirt dress out with her kids smiling.

I really hope someone else can remember these two ads-otherwise I could have just dreamt them...

An ad for HB Jelly Split ice-pop,where me man is describing the taste of it and his voice is going all funny and hysterical,and near the end he screams "....you must resist it because....ONE BITE WILL TURN YOU INTO JELLY!!"

The other one-I haven't a bulls notion what this was about-but there were different people in different workplaces in different parts of the world,sayin the line "ANN GLYNN THINKS SHE HAS CRACKED IT".

Please tell me someone remembers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I can remember the ad with "Anne Glynn thinks she's cracked it"; it was an ad for a bank.

...The other one-I haven't a bulls notion what this was about-but there were different people in different workplaces in different parts of the world,sayin the line "ANN GLYNN THINKS SHE HAS CRACKED IT".

Please tell me someone remembers :-)

I vaguely remember this one, but not what it was for or what they thought they had cracked. You've got me wondering now!

Eeden wrote: »
    I vaguely remember this one, but not what it was for or what they thought they had cracked. You've got me wondering now!

And guess what??
    Ive just remembered another ad similar to that one-the trouble is the only thing I remember is that in this ad the line they are saying is "DAVID MALONE HAS GONE THROUGH THE ROOF" or something....

• Advertisement

And guess what??
    Ive just remembered another ad similar to that one-the trouble is the only thing I remember is that in this ad the line they are saying is "DAVID MALONE HAS GONE THROUGH THE ROOF" or something....

Yeah, I think that one was for a guy getting a loan for a home extension (attic conversion). Still don't remember the bank, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Reminds me of the "Big Ed Loves Mona" ad. We had to wait a few weeks to find out what it meant. Turned out to be feckin yoghurt.

Eeden wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that one was for a guy getting a loan for a home extension (attic conversion). Still don't remember the bank, though.

I think it was AIB, not certain though.

Does anyone remember another banking ad from round about the same time, it featured pinstripe-clad arses sitting down and the slogan was "How big are your assets?"
    :D

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think it was AIB, not certain though.

Does anyone remember another banking ad from round about the same time, it featured pinstripe-clad arses sitting down and the slogan was "How big are your assets?"
    :D

Yes I remember that one,it was for an Irish bank but can't recall which one.There were all these big fat pompous guys having a meeting with a younger woman.I remember it showed all their fat faces in extreme close up when they were answering questions from her.It would have been early 90s.

Can anyone remember these two "spooky" kiddies ads....

One about beans or spaghetti,where two kids visit a haunted house and there is a song which starts with "Come to the haunted house for tea,you'll be amazed at what you'll see...." and it finishes up with the line "It's our speciality",and the kids turn into vampires?

Or this one about ice-lollies-a Hansel and Gretel themed ad where the kids say "Oh wicked witch,do something nice,turn into a water-ice...."
    ???

Can anyone remember these two "spooky" kiddies ads....

One about beans or spaghetti,where two kids visit a haunted house and there is a song which starts with "Come to the haunted house for tea,you'll be amazed at what you'll see...." and it finishes up with the line "It's our speciality",and the kids turn into vampires?

Or this one about ice-lollies-a Hansel and Gretel themed ad where the kids say "Oh wicked witch,do something nice,turn into a water-ice...."
    ???

Found one of them....

I remember that ad from the 80s for some deoderant,it might have been Sure, which featured Cindy Laupers Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.There were these punkish girls in a jungle or forest with tribal type makeup who come across a bunch of trendy lads.When the guys approach them they fall into a pit which the girls have dug to trap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Remember 'triple A golden maverick' with the triple A branding on a cow or something at the end in the style of A spaghetti western , was it a fertiliser or something for liver fluke and hoose or something .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oops69 wrote: »
    Remember 'triple A golden maverick' with the triple A branding on a cow or something at the end in the style of A spaghetti western , was it a fertiliser or something for liver fluke and hoose or something .

Or th'auld 10-10-20 (pronounced tin-tin-twinty), and Net Nitrate.

Not to mention Ciba Geigy, "quare name but great shtuff".

How is it I remember these ones, when I grew up in Dublin city centre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember that ad from the 80s for some deoderant,it might have been Sure, which featured Cindy Laupers Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.There were these punkish girls in a jungle or forest with tribal type makeup who come across a bunch of trendy lads.When the guys approach them they fall into a pit which the girls have dug to trap them.

Might that have been an advert for a long-gone (from Ireland anyway!) brand of deodorant called OÉ??
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnofal.ps%2Fen%2Fcp%2Fplugins%2Fspaw%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2Foe%2FOE_Deo.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnofal.ps%2Fen%2Findex.php%3Fp%3Dp_2&h=265&w=454&tbnid=dicqj48UnABOvM%3A&zoom=1&q=o%20e%20deodorant&docid=xq-aSgxRJX10yM&ei=9Wu5U7niFbHN7Aa7v4DgBw&tbm=isch&ved=0CB4QMygAMAA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1059&page=1&start=0&ndsp=18

Advertisement