Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Not really its 101 euro per person per night
    That's hardly crazy money ,

come off it if two adults and two kids staying in a hotel for two nights isnt expensive at 815 euro i dunno what is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not really its 101 euro per person per night
    That's hardly crazy money ,

Mid week price. Expensive in my opinion for a family with kids for just two nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely crazy price. Hotel on the west coast!!

I’m guessing westport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

When did you try to book this?
    Four days before the stay? What do you expect? Its basic laws of supply and demand

When did you try to book this?
    Four days before the stay? What do you expect? Its basic laws of supply and demand

Just browsing. This is a similar room in a hotel about 10km from the other one for the same two nights.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I’m guessing westport.....

Not Westport!

Got 2 nights (Fri/Sat night) in the Killarney Riverside Hotel in the middle of July for 370 euros thats including breakfast for two both mornings. Anyone any recommendations of any good pubs to visit down there.Thats hoping that they go ahead with the reopening of indoor dining on July 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

come off it if two adults and two kids staying in a hotel for two nights isnt expensive at 815 euro i dunno what is

Sorry i came across wrong there,

I'm not saying its cheap or that id even pay that price, its expensive but i wouldn't call it "crazy money " in fact it doesn't surprise me at all ,

400 euro a night for a family of 4 is pretty common in this country unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sorry i came across wrong there,

I'm not saying its cheap or that id even pay that price, its expensive but i wouldn't call it "crazy money " in fact it doesn't surprise me at all ,

400 euro a night for a family of 4 is pretty common in this country unfortunately

I was looking at a hotel in Killarney for this weekend for a family room. 2 adults and one child.
    A couple of weeks ago it was €200 per night and no breakfast so we knocked it on the head.
    I said i would have a look just now and we will go anyway at the weekend if i can find anywhere cheaper. That same hotel came up €120 per night including breakfast, so booked it.

It seems if you wait to just before you will have more choice and cheaper rates. Obviously no good if you are not flexible about whether you go there or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Might be of interest.

Available this Saturday 26th June - 3rd July for €490.

https://www.daft.ie/holiday-home/cois-cuain-salthill-co-galway/3209129?fbclid=IwAR2famfyTeW9d8BUYdFLUCMksRg5359au2jCl1J5-Vk7M6JpAOHrV1gvvQY

I have no links to the property just got a notification about it via social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Cancelled our self-catering staycation for the summer. No way am I forking out big money to not even have a restaurant to go and sit inside in when the wind and rain breaks out as it inevitably will. All while there's minimal cases of Covid in hospital. One of the highlights of our break last year was our evening meals INDOORS after a long day outside in the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Book a hotel then instead, and dine and drink indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

finbarrk wrote: »
    Book a hotel then instead, and dine and drink indoors.

No thanks, hotel rooms are no good for families. People should not be penalised for booking self catering. Cancelled before the free cancellation expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

No thanks, hotel rooms are no good for families. People should not be penalised for booking self catering. Cancelled before the free cancellation expired.

We're kind of the opposite. Booked a self catering house in a hotel resort and disappointed the hotel is not offering any outdoor dining/pinting options as we have zero intention of mingling indoors. We'll be grand eating in the house but would certainly have had a few meals (literally) "out" if the option was available.

Each to their own I guess...

Cancelled our self-catering staycation for the summer. No way am I forking out big money to not even have a restaurant to go and sit inside in when the wind and rain breaks out as it inevitably will. All while there's minimal cases of Covid in hospital. One of the highlights of our break last year was our evening meals INDOORS after a long day outside in the elements.

Was that in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I love ireland but I'm not holidaying here this summer for similar reasons. Our government are a bunch of weak cowering muppets and I refuse to pay through the nose to eat dinner in the lashing rain.

I'm going abroad as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Going to killarney for a few days 300 for the room and meal. Only place overseas I want to go is Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I love ireland but I'm not holidaying here this summer for similar reasons. Our government are a bunch of weak cowering muppets and I refuse to pay through the nose to eat dinner in the lashing rain.

Only a few weeks to go then

€127 for hotel last night in the mid west with pool (young lad loved it) and lovely meal in the bar with pints.
    We're using the pool again this morning then i might even use the gym before we get breakfast and going around 12
    You really should get out from under your cloak of bitterness

€127 for hotel last night in the mid west with pool (young lad loved it) and lovely meal in the bar with pints.
    We're using the pool again this morning then i might even use the gym before we get breakfast and going around 12
    You really should get out from under your cloak of bitterness

Why should I or anyone else have to pay for a hotel room to eat indoors? Why should I pay for a hotel and only get the pool an hour a day?
    I "made the most of it" last summer when there were no vaccines but we could eat indoors. I'm not accepting stricter restrictions this year with two thirds fully or partially vaccinated.

I've the option to get out of here and im going. You call it bitter, I call it smart. I know which holiday my kids will remember more fondly.

• Advertisement

Why should I or anyone else have to pay for a hotel room to eat indoors? Why should I pay for a hotel and only get the pool an hour a day?
    I "made the most of it" last summer when there were no vaccines but we could eat indoors. I'm not accepting stricter restrictions this year with two thirds fully or partially vaccinated.

I've the option to get out of here and im going. You call it bitter, I call it smart. I know which holiday my kids will remember more fondly.
    We went on holidays in Ireland last summer when restaurants and pubs couldn't even serve food. It didn't affect our holiday very much.
    How long are you going to use a pool for everyday? 5 hours? 6?
    Your arguments make no sense really when kids won't care if they are in kerry or Costa Blanco once they get away

We went on holidays in Ireland last summer when restaurants and pubs couldn't even serve food. It didn't affect our holiday very much.
    How long are you going to use a pool for everyday? 5 hours? 6?
    Your arguments make no sense really when kids won't care if they are in kerry or Costa Blanco once they get away

Yes 5 or 6 hours a day in the pool. My kids would stay all day in the pool from the minute they get up if let. They only get out to eat. An hour a day in an Irish hotel pool, booked in advance and killing the spontaneity of the day isn't fun (its better than no hours but no comparison to being able to swim whenever you want)

A summer in the rain, eating outside, booking everything advance isn't fun for me. It isn't fun for lots of people. I'm not spending money on a holiday here again until things are more normal.

Not sure what part of that "makes no sense".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Love the way people complain about crazy prices in ireland and its the same places that come up basic economics suplly and demand.. can people not use their imagination and look up other parts of the country like midlands. A bit of time in google and youd be surprised what you xould find to do. A bit of creativity and imagination with young kids ans you can have a great holiday. Not everything revolves around Mayo kerry etc for holidays here. Spent 2 nights midweek in west cork and last week on then on the way home on the friday we stayed in the Rochestown Park hotel 1 nights B&B for 2 was 126 euro and we only bookes it less than 2 weeks before hand. Close to the ring road not too far a drive from foto wildlife, cobh etc and was over a hundred euro cheaper than staying in Fota itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Stayed In Two hotels since they opened up. Both were serving non resident locals indoors, and plenty of them too. Very unfair on local restaurants.

Had a lovely night in Killarney last night. 3 of us shared a room. €180 B&B. Lovely meal and drinks in the hotel bar which went on late.
    The Arbutus Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure if i'm allowed ask the question so if not sorry but any where other than Air bnb to find good self catering options in Ireland
    Even a mobile homes & the like,

We kind of unexpectedly have a week free at the end of the month & want a get away with the kids

We are doing a 5 day hotel one in August so looking for something different

Came back yesterday from a few days in Galway. Stayed in a b&b, Desota House in the city. €300 for 4 nights single, very friendly hosts. Had swims at Salthill and magnificent Ceathrú Rua, all beaches quiet and well-behaved. Decided to break the journey home and spent a night in the lovely Georgian Townsend House in Birr, €60 for a very spacious room and mighty breakfast. Driving from Galway to Birr I stopped for a positively warm swim at the sandy beach at Loughrea lake where hot shores are provided. Visited Portumna Castle & Gardens (free), stopped for late lunch in the pretty village of Terryglass by Lough Derg, where I enjoyed a superbly cooked huge sea bass on the bone on a bed of vegetables and herby salad, a soft drink, an excellent coffee all for €24 at the Derg Inn. Pity the weather wasn't too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Garzorico wrote: »
    Summer staycation part 1 this past weekend. Camping with the kids in Connemara - pretty much rained from a few hours after arrival on Friday evening until a few hours before we left this morning. Became windier and colder as the weekend progressed. Can’t wait for part two in July when I’ll be praying that the weather gods are kinder to us.

In fairness it wasn’t all bad and the kids had a ball but we’ll all be high tailing it to warmer climes from 2022 onwards.

Staycation part two the weekend just gone. Went to Clare. Abandoned the camping at the last minute due to the weather forecast not being what you would call favourable. Booked an AirB&B the night before we left for nearly €800 for 3 nights - expensive but worth it. Clare is great as there is so much to do for adults and kids alike. Weatherwise we had the 4 seasons on the Saturday and it pretty much rained for the whole of the day yesterday. Sun shining when we left this morning. One of the kids asked me does it rain every day down the country….Ireland is a great place to have a holiday although the weather exponentially effects everyone’s mood and hence the enjoyment of the holiday. I love the west coast and will be back but we will definitely be heading to the sun for next years summer holiday.

Not sure if i'm allowed ask the question so if not sorry but any where other than Air bnb to find good self catering options in Ireland

We kind of unexpectedly have a week free at the end of the month & want a get away with the kids

Use booking.com and select self catering on the filter.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on done deal holiday home section.
    Cancellations for holiday homes come up all the time

Advertisement