Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat Ducato camper build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Let’s hope any would-be thieves don’t have an impressioning tool.

Great contribution as always :rolleyes:

Or a battery power angle grinder or a crow bar.

Unless it's a dummy safe...that's probably the most effective use. Hide the valuables in the spare tyre.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Great contribution as always :rolleyes:

Great to be appreciated. :D

2kyytg.jpg

Here's a more traditional entry method...it really shows the build quality of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You really don't like that safe do you?

• Advertisement

Defending my position is all.

I took the "great contribution as usual" remark to be a misunderstanding in the difference between peeing on someone's corn flakes and telling it like it is.

I would not call it a safe because you can open it with a drill and a hole saw. I've nothing against it other than the compunction to point out it's a false promise.
    I think a lottov the time people think I'm going off on one and making false accusations about "reputable manufacturers" that can't be true because I'm some lad on tinternet with an opinion and they're a major manufacturer...because that's evidence enough for them...

When one actually relies on the equipment in this market the frequency one finds mutton dressed as lamb is highly disparaging...funny thing is most people rather I keep it to myself.
    They have their reasons although usually when I ask would they fit it to their house they think I'm mad.

QED...easy target...would you put a gas fridge in your house? If it's not good enough for a house why is it acceptable for a camper when it's 5 times more expensive to buy, ten times more expensive to run..and not reliable...ya know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think people are missing the point of the safe. It's not to thwart international diamond thieves. It's to stop the little scrote that broke the window with a stone from escaping with your passports and other valuables.

For that purpose, it's perfect... up until the time the little scrotes come equipped with battery powered circular saws with a metal cutting blade.

I've never met a thief nor opportunist nor a customs agent nor festival security smart enough to look for anything in a spare tyre.

What's to stop them prying on the safe and just taking the safe contents and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I've never met a thief nor opportunist nor a customs agent nor festival security smart enough to look for anything in a spare tyre.

What's to stop them prying on the safe and just taking the safe contents and all?

With they pry bar they keep down the leg of their trackie bottoms?

Again, the purpose is to stop the local opportunist Anto from getting anything other than biscuits and snacks.

The quicker they can get out of the van with anything they can grab, the less chance of them getting a severe beating if the owner appears at the door, trapping them inside.

With they pry bar they keep down the leg of their trackie bottoms?

What do you think they used to enter the vehicle?

I take it you haven't much experience with life on the wrong side of the tracks.

For the security that thing offers you could hide the valuables 100 other places without painting a target on them....ya know?!

{Edit} It's a lot like security studs (wheel locks) on wheel rims. All yer doing is advising the person determined to take yer rims to also break yer boot latch.
    I get rid of them they just slow me down.

Same with computer passwords.
    I can hack a windows password in 5 minutes all it does is serve to slow me down everytime I boot the machine. I don't bother with those either.

As I say it's most useful as a decoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Back to the excellent project please......

Before
    B1268522-E255-4-AC9-849-F-C7-F321-A35-B6-B.jpg

During
    04231-C74-E0-FF-45-C2-9-EC4-5-F3-A604-A8074.jpg

After
    864-D40-FB-6515-4-D11-B50-E-85-E6-B78-F03-CE.jpg

Too wet to do anything outside today, so sanding and oiling the wood bits
    752-FCAFF-69-BC-4-DF7-BCCD-C345-EA914832.jpg

343788-E8-D061-4171-BF71-04-A0-B7744-CF1.jpg

3 coats later

75-DF10-AF-4-E3-E-4-D24-9-C8-D-05081-A6-E4571.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nice job on the steering wheel, did you buy the complete wheel or fit a leather cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice job on the steering wheel, did you buy the complete wheel or fit a leather cover?

Oh I was looking at the dials

CJhaughey wrote: »

It’s a leather cover that you have to stitch. My mate did one on the Transit camper before so had a bit of practice!
    dzer2 wrote: »
    Oh I was looking at the dials
    The dials came a few months ago, but it was the only ‘before’ picture I could find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That is a great mod, the stock wheel is actually pretty slippery and leather would be a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've just went through the entire thread there. excellent work Colm it looks amazing. A pity you have to lose some space with the rear seats but I'm guessing they're a necessity, will there be any issues with insurance as they're not factory fit?

The fit and finish though is very good. Hopefully many an adventure had in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

This thread is such a pleasant browse - There's something almost mesmerising about watching all of these intricate pieces slot together so expertly and precisely.

Thanks for making it all available anyhow.

I noticed that when the two of you had posted your last thread that it ran post after post and suddenly it was up for sale https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=108342774&postcount=143

I originally thought it was something ye built lovingly for your own personal use for the next decade.

Is this a hobby or a purely commercial undertaking?

Do you just really enjoy working though these projects and the sale is a nice bonus afterwards?

• Advertisement

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This thread is such a pleasant browse - There's something almost mesmerising about watching all of these intricate pieces slot together so expertly and precisely.

Thanks for making it all available anyhow.
    Thanks, we aren’t experts or professionals but we are taking our time and doing it as well as we can.
    Both of us are a bit obsessed with ergonomics, packaging and finish of things so this is a great way for fellas that have desk jobs to actually take something from a design right through to a real thing.
    Mango Joe wrote: »
    I noticed that when the two of you had posted your last thread that it ran post after post and suddenly it was up for sale https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=108342774&postcount=143

I originally thought it was something ye built lovingly for your own personal use for the next decade.

Is this a hobby or a purely commercial undertaking?

Do you just really enjoy working though these projects and the sale is a nice bonus afterwards?
    It’s purely two mates building stuff, it definitely isn’t a money maker. If it was it would have been built a lot simpler and quicker! If it wasn’t a camper it would be a classic car or something.

I enjoy building them as much as using them, the Transit did some festivals and went abroad, it was coming up to the winter and it just kinda make sense to move it on. The plan was always to do another.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've just went through the entire thread there. excellent work Colm it looks amazing. A pity you have to lose some space with the rear seats but I'm guessing they're a necessity, will there be any issues with insurance as they're not factory fit?

The fit and finish though is very good. Hopefully many an adventure had in it.

It’s actually roomy enough with the front seats swivelled and the double seat there. The next step is to incorporate a bed into the front too.

No insurance issues with the seat as it’s a VW part, once SQI is ok with it then insurance are too.

Testing out the fridge

3-AB667-E1-B6-AA-46-AB-98-F6-DDE6-BF7-AC4-F5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Well done!

A rival at 2 O’Clock. Let the competition begin......... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fantastic work Colm. Very impressive.

p.s. Have you seen what Vanderlust do in Ennistymon?

Fantastic work Colm. Very impressive.

p.s. Have you seen what Vanderlust do in Ennistymon?

Thanks!

I’ve been into Vanderlust a few times alright, it’s only over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Testing out the fridge

3-AB667-E1-B6-AA-46-AB-98-F6-DDE6-BF7-AC4-F5.jpg

Keel, Achill ?

Only back from a campervan trip myself. Strongly considering going down the conversion road like yourself now.

Found the Ducato a nice drive as well so may look towards one of them or a Transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Keel, Achill ?

Only back from a campervan trip myself. Strongly considering going down the conversion road like yourself now.

Found the Ducato a nice drive as well so may look towards one of them or a Transit.

Transit you say........

Checkout my sig

Keel, Achill ?

Yeah, it’s a lovely spot and a great site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yeah, it’s a lovely spot and a great site.

We were originally booked into the Westport house but said **** it we'll go Achill instead. Annex pub up the road as well was great craic.

If you didn't go with the Ducato what was your second choice excluding the Boxer or Relay ?

Advertisement