Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat Ducato camper build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5-D1-C302-C-9-EF3-4-AE0-9345-0-CD174-D5-A087.jpg

ED886-F6-D-65-FF-42-D1-A306-CFCA4-B91-FE6-B.jpg

Thru bolting? Wherever possible I fit roof bars and bolt the panel to standard PV rail with standard clamps bolted to the roof-bars.

60 Cell! Noice. What controller are you running it on dare I ask?

Sorry I've been buying all the bargain MorningStar MPPTs that turned up over the last few weeks. :p

If yer open skylights cast shadows on the panel it'll stop it from working. Park awning side towards the sun and I generally fit the fridge the opposite side to take advantage of the cooler air intake.

Roof rails aren’t an option for us because of the awning. The curve of the roof limited our options a bit too. It’s solid as frig and held down by 8 separate brackets though so no worries there.

You won’t like the controller :D

What kelvin is the LED strip you used?

Here decent quality high density very bright 2700°K. Get some cheap trunking for it with a milky diffuser.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Roof rails aren’t an option for us because of the awning. The curve of the roof limited our options a bit too. It’s solid as frig and held down by 8 separate brackets though so no worries there.

It's the leaks I worry about more.
    I knew you'd say that. I mount the awning to the rails/rack too.

{EDIT} looks like there's no other option, yer roof doesn't seem to have any friendly clamping facility...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You won’t like the controller :D

I figured it'd be the same colour as the rest. :p

Well if the hydrometer reads 1.28 after 2 weeks on float then it's a good one. If not what it does read is the disparity between that and a high end one.
    Rubber meets the road and all that...
    I never trust a charger until it's proven. You'd be surprised how bad some are...

Actually, watch the awning doesn't give you a longitudinal shadow too or it'll derate the panel 50%. It'd be better to have the panel flush with the top of the awning. You'd be amazed how a tiny shadow can decimate the output. I'd recommend fitting a decent battery monitor too, one with Ah counting and instantaneous power readings. Invaluable tool.

It's the leaks I worry about more.
    I knew you'd say that. I mount the awning to the rails/rack too.

{EDIT} looks like there's no other option, yer roof doesn't seem to have any friendly clamping facility...

I figured it'd be the same colour as the rest. :p

Well if the hydrometer reads 1.28 after 2 weeks on float then it's a good one. If not what it does read is the disparity between that and a high end one.
    Rubber meets the road and all that...
    I never trust a charger until it's proven. You'd be surprised how bad some are...

The brackets are all sealed up so I can’t see there being issues with leaks. We used Wurth K&D which is brilliant stuff.

Ref the controller, it’s a Victron, think it’s a Smart Solar. The one with Bluetooth anyway.

We didn’t strictly need solar in the first place but the panel came in pretty reasonable, so the setup will definitely exceed what we need it to do.

You can always fiberglass over the brackets if there is. I just habitually hate drilling rooves.

Them blue boxes are very popular for the Bluetooth alright. Not very many of their customers have hydrometers, or open-cell batteries for that matter. At least they have BT temperature sensors these days. They must work better than the internally stifled ticky box ones that they used to sport.
    I've had a few of their products...could do worse could do better...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

You must be nearly finished now colm?

This has been a great thread, the standard of work ye have put in is superb! Hope the Covid f**k’s off soon, and that ye get many happy miles/ events/ festivals in it!!

Some day I’m gonna try something similar, so will be book marking this for reference!! :)

• Advertisement

I’d say we are around 80% finished.
    Still got all the plumbing to do, toilet/shower room is missing a wall, water heater not installed

There’s still a bit left, but it’s really just fitting parts rather than head scratching and planning.

The weather and short days rather than COVID are the biggest problems.

Don't forget the battery monitor.

Don't forget the battery monitor.

I think the CBE control panel does all that?

Nah that's just a voltmeter and tank level sensor display.

945x682.jpg

Hard to find a decent battery monitor besides. I've chucked €300 meters in the bin beside €25 meters.
    The one I linked to is exceptionally good for the price. You'd be looking at €250 for a better one.

What is that going to do for me though?

Not too up on these things.

Battery fuel gauge.

Tells you if you chargers are working & how hard, or you left an appliance on or there's bird poo on the solar panel or that blue boxes aren't meeting specification etc..

Battery fuel gauge.

Tells you if you chargers are working & how hard, or you left an appliance on or there's bird poo on the solar panel or that blue boxes aren't meeting specification etc..

Won’t the Victron app show all that though?

Nope that's just going to show you the solar aspect. Solar input and LVD loads if it has any..beside I always find it a good idea to have independent metering that can't produce favourable results of the product it's metering. Of course, the victron charger will say it's charged the battery, a hydrometer won't though.
    I don't know much about the app, I tried their chargers, meters and inverters and you can't fix those with an app. so I stopped buying their stuff. If it is giving battery SOC info then it'll be contrived/inferred based on voltage because it's not a shunted system so rather inaccurate and whimsical.

The battery monitor measures everything in and out of the battery and expresses it as a percentage. You can see running load and charge as well as the actual calculated reserve level.

I had a look at that blue box manual, there's a lottov features alright.

The tail current one is of the most interest. If you set that to the minimum non-zero value possible then it ought to charge pretty well.
    The internal temperature sensor doesn't work, the BT one is not that expensive. I would hope it's real-time feedback instead of a once a day reference it's a pretty important feature.

The main idea of using the app on the Victron was to minimise the amount of dials and panels in the van, trying to keep it as clean as possible.
    We will see how we get on with that and whatever info the CBE panel gives for now.

• Advertisement

I never got this app thing nor these digital light bulbs. Can't lose a switch that's wired to the wall and it not moving is a good thing imo.

I'm a bittova luddite sometimes. New doesn't impress me as much as proven reliability.

I never got this app thing nor these digital light bulbs. Can't lose a switch that's wired to the wall and it not moving is a good thing imo.

I'm a bittova luddite sometimes. New doesn't impress me as much as proven reliability.

I’d agree with you about the light bulbs anyway!

468901.jpg

0642187-A-1-E9-E-4709-BDF7-9-E234-C4-B58-F9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Looks a great build Colm. Re: lights, are they LED strips that allow you to adjust the colour of the light?

I went all in on Philips Hue stuff a while back and it really makes a difference in a small space like that to be able to change the light. My sister got a cheaper version on Amazon recently that seems a good, budget, alternative as the Hue stuff is pricey. Well wear though, looks class!

They’re just standard LEDs.

The main ones dim, so that’s enough for us!

Got this magnetic button for the service door.
    4-C9-BD412-F86-B-4-DDD-9-CB9-FF96-E1-BE5-F2-A.jpg

Keeps the door open
    3934646-B-1599-4-DBB-BC47-B1-E2-A60407-B4.jpg

Still a good bit to do here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have you a solution for privacy from the cab windows?

Have you a solution for privacy from the cab windows?

Thermal blinds that stuck in with sucker yokes. They do them for the Transit too.

• Advertisement

Little bit more progress today

72263304-88-D0-44-CE-8140-BA7-DC7-CDE360.jpg

25-EB0914-6-A71-4-BF2-B523-A9-A1-C0398-DBE.jpg

Still a bit of adjustment to do here and there on the kitchen drawers - but happy overall.

Advertisement