Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Istanbul walked off the pitch in the Champions League vs PSG because apparently the 4th official identified a substitute as a black guy. Match postponed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Omackeral wrote: »
    Istanbul walked off the pitch in the Champions League vs PSG because apparently the 4th official identified a substitute as a black guy. Match postponed.

Was that what it was ???? I saw on Sky Sports there was “racist abuse”.

My bull**** detector went off.

So you’re now a Klansman for pointing out someone is black ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a bit of casual racism mixed with a lot of unprofessionalism but that's no abuse and definitely no reason to walk off the pitch - I hope they will forfeit the game (fat chance, I know).

Kivaro wrote: »
    a full screen warning about an episode depicting eating disorders etc. etc.

But no warning about the depiction of those sociopathic cnts that pushed her to do that and destroyed her life just because she was a good match for him.

Cordell wrote: »
    It's a bit of casual racism mixed with a lot of unprofessionalism but that's no abuse and definitely no reason to walk off the pitch - I hope they will forfeit the game (fat chance, I know).

How?

Speaking in your own language to a colleague that speaks that same language and using a word that is descriptive has been take as offensive by a person who, I presume, doesn’t speak the language yet has taken offence. That’s the crux of it from what I can see. Referring to the tall one, the black one, the blonde one is sometimes the most obvious way to do it. Saying someone is a black guy is not racist or casually racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is that what happened? He just described him as the black guy?

If so then the players should be ashamed of themselves, a prime example of problem free, millionaires in this case, feeling the need to be oppressed! Bullshít of the highest order.

If it turns out that they walked off the pitch over that they should both be thrown out of the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How?

Speaking in your own language to a colleague that speaks that same language and using a word that is descriptive has been take as offensive by a person who, I presume, doesn’t speak the language yet has taken offence. That’s the crux of it from what I can see. Referring to the tall one, the black one, the blonde one is sometimes the most obvious way to do it. Saying someone is a black guy is not racist or casually racist.

That's it in a nutshell. When the news first broke, I thought it would be career suicide for a professional official in UEFA to say such a thing. So in essence, one person heard one word in a foreign language and got extremely offended (or triggered) by it. The corresponding rush of millionaire players off the field in solidarity with the offended one is the insane aspect in all of this, as it made the 4th official summarily guilty right there and then. The reality of the situation is irrespective of the outcome, the 4th official's career is ruined; similar to the accusation of rape of men who were actually innocent of the charge.

This notion of "perceived" racism really has to be examined in greater detail, but I highly doubt it will happen. If FFGG get their way with this new "hate" bill, then anyone in Ireland perceived to be racist could be arrested and tried in court for it. And if that is the case, then we need to convert all existing housing into jails, as Dr. Ebun Joseph perceives the whole country to be racist, so we (white people in Ireland) will all be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What was said?

He indicated to the referee a black player by saying "negrul ala" which means "that black one" but the word "ala" it's an impolite or even rude version of "acela" (both meaning that) which is not acceptable when referring to a person and when used it's assumed to indicate that the one using it have no respect for that person. At the very least is impolite and unprofessional to indicate a player like so when you are supposed to know them by name and number. Of course, the offended player doesn't know this, so his outrage was caused by his eagerness to play the race card.
    But it was a private conversation, no abuse directed at the player, and very likely what started it is that "negrul" sounds like the n-word, which definitely isn't, it's just the word for black, both colour and race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'm curious if Neymar and his PSG teammates would have stormed off the pitch if they were leading 3-0 in this pivotal game?
    It is also curious to note that it was a big surprise that Neymar was actually playing last night due to an injury. The rescheduled game definitely benefits him.
    But anyway, racism .... apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cordell wrote: »
    He indicated to the referee a black player by saying "negrul ala" which means "that black one" but the word "ala" it's an impolite or even rude version of "acela" (both meaning that) which is not acceptable when referring to a person and when used it's assumed to indicate that the one using it have no respect for that person. At the very least is impolite and unprofessional to indicate a player like so when you are supposed to know them by name and number. Of course, the offended player doesn't know this, so his outrage was caused by his eagerness to play the race card
    But it was a private conversation, no abuse directed at the player, and very likely what started it is that "negrul" sounds like the n-word, which definitely isn't, it's just the word for black, both colour and race.

I'm pretty sure it was a coach, Pierre Webo. I remember watching him from his playing days but I wouldn't recognize him in the street.

My mind goes back to El Hadji Diouf shouting at a ball boy "Give the ball white boy!" and I don't think he was accused of racism. Granted it was many years ago.

I reckon though that people that don't really think this is racism will be told they are the problem and if someone perceives it as racist then racist it is.

Speaking of casual racism - the absolutely, definitely, not in any way racist MOBO awards is on tonight.

If you don't support them, you might as well be burning a cross somewhere!

Different times, now we're so much more sensitive and woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Speaking of casual racism - the absolutely, definitely, not in any way racist MOBO awards is on tonight.

If you don't support them, you might as well be burning a cross somewhere!

I don't like hip hop, grime, R&B, soul, reggae, jazz, gospel so I occasionally say to people I'm not a fan of Music of Black Origin. It's fun to see the reaction before explaining the MOBOs

Nokotan wrote: »
    I don't like hip hop, grime, R&B, soul, reggae, jazz, gospel so I occasionally say to people I'm not a fan of Music of Black Origin. It's fun to see the reaction before explaining the MOBOs

There was a thing on the BBC news about it last night and the reporter (a previous winner of one of the awards she said, i have no idea who she was though) said it's great to see "a celebration of black culture" What the hell is black culture? The culture of Zimbabwe say is different to the culture of Nigeria or Ethiopia, why combine and dilute them just because they have similar pigmentation? If that's not racism then i don't know what is.

I personally would find it insulting to be told my culture was just "white", I'm not white (i am white, but i'm not just white:D) Not all Irish people are white, any more than all white people are Irish. I have little in common with Scandanavians say, or Poles, or Belgians. I feel like i have very little in common with the English ffs. I am not a part of some homogeneous "White Culture"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m at a loose end so figured I may as well ask you lot here, you seem to have your fingers on the “pulse” about these sort of things.

The office “Kris Kindle” was organised, remotely of course, and I got a girl who’d be a fair bit “right on” and wanted to get her something I’d read about last year.

It’s a game based on the ‘Whack-a-Mole!’ idea, but a tabletop version. It was called ‘Woke-a-Mole!’ and it had all the “usual” suspects’ heads popping up to be hit. You know, Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Peterson, Shapiro...you get the idea.

Anyway, last I heard they ran into a, potential, copyright “issue” with the name so it was changed to ‘Smash the Patriarchy!’ but they then wanted to include a few “Aunt Lydia” types like Rowling, Conway, McEnany, Palin etc with a, potential, name of ‘Whack Gammon!’ being suggested.

Haven't heard a peep, or seen any reference to this, since. I’d assume if this game was launched at least one of you would have caught wind of it. Any assistance would be appreciated. Don’t want to have to go down the usual route of getting a Body Shop, or Boots, set this year.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would just get her the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD.

There are no women in it, no blacks, no homosexuals, no transsexuals, no Jews, no Muslims and I can't remember a cleaner being allowed in.

The film is about a troop of white middle class Americans being treated like slaves and being told that if they don't get their job done in 48hrs they will lose their livelihoods.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

How?

Meanwhile the Guardian today is running the headline 'First black Secretary of Defense.' We are allowed to see race today, Tuesday is a no race seeing day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ridiculous. Even sky sports news going to every ad promoting BLM, rainbow microphones, sacking excellent pundits, bringing in token gesture useless female pundit.

Fair fcuks to the Millwall fans for what they did the other day. I waited for their statement on why they did it and fair play for showing the courage they did.

This kneeling sh!t has just been diluted down to a point where it is laughable now

Ridiculous. Even sky sports news going to every ad promoting BLM, rainbow microphones, sacking excellent pundits, bringing in token gesture useless female pundit.

Fair fcuks to the Millwall fans for what they did the other day. I waited for their statement on why they did it and fair play for showing the courage they did.

This kneeling sh!t has just been diluted down to a point where it is laughable now

Thought the QPR lads’ celebration for the goal was pretty funny.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »

There are no women in it, no blacks, no homosexuals, no transsexuals, no Jews, no Muslims and I can't remember a cleaner being allowed in.

The film is about a troop of white middle class Americans being treated like slaves and being told that if they don't get their job done in 48hrs they will lose their livelihoods.

Cheers, it’s a good suggestion but I’d be wary of “gifting” DVDs these days, I.

Might think I’m just trying to get rid of my own “collection”, something I’d never do but you never know with some people.

Thought the QPR lads’ celebration for the goal was pretty funny.

I personally loved that QPR celebration too. Thought it was very on the nose and even powerful. But the organised choreographed and pretty much mandatory taking of the knee before kick off is so empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cheers, it’s a good suggestion but I’d be wary of “gifting” DVDs these days, I.

Might think I’m just trying to get rid of my own “collection”, something I’d never do but you never know with some people.

Most people now wouldn't have a dvd player or a disc drive on their computer to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Do you not find that the Woke Types and the Anti-Woke Types are essentially two sides of the same coin? Both constantly looking for ways to be offended, riddled with a sense of inferiority and bitterness and a desperate need for validation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Paddigol wrote: »
    Do you not find that the Woke Types and the Anti-Woke Types are essentially two sides of the same coin? Both constantly looking for ways to be offended, riddled with a sense of inferiority and bitterness and a desperate need for validation?

Nah. I’ve never wanted to mount a Twitter campaign to get someone fired for being a woke asshole.

I just come here to laugh at examples.

Paddigol wrote: »

That would be the "woke types".

But be careful how you classify them. If they smell discrimination you could well be cancelled.

When you get down to the nitty gritty ( oops apols all ) it is essentially modern corporate sabotage on a global scale. You either disagree with modern slavery in Bangladesh or you cannot fathom why leather Nike Air runners are destroying the Ozone layer.

So basically you can blame Global Warming on American Basketball players who are responsible for facilitating child slavery in the developing world. Kind of Ironic yeah?

All you have to do is find your scenario and polarise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Thankfully the next generation coming through from what i'm hearing from my youngfella aren't as bat crazy as the current crop. He's 17 and said they tend to be in the minority in his year (Woke brigade i;m talking about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I’m at a loose end so figured I may as well ask you lot here, you seem to have your fingers on the “pulse” about these sort of things.

The office “Kris Kindle” was organised, remotely of course, and I got a girl who’d be a fair bit “right on” and wanted to get her something I’d read about last year.

It’s a game based on the ‘Whack-a-Mole!’ idea, but a tabletop version. It was called ‘Woke-a-Mole!’ and it had all the “usual” suspects’ heads popping up to be hit. You know, Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Peterson, Shapiro...you get the idea.

Anyway, last I heard they ran into a, potential, copyright “issue” with the name so it was changed to ‘Smash the Patriarchy!’ but they then wanted to include a few “Aunt Lydia” types like Rowling, Conway, McEnany, Palin etc with a, potential, name of ‘Whack Gammon!’ being suggested.

Haven't heard a peep, or seen any reference to this, since. I’d assume if this game was launched at least one of you would have caught wind of it. Any assistance would be appreciated. Don’t want to have to go down the usual route of getting a Body Shop, or Boots, set this year.

Probably in a warehouse somewhere gathering dust next to the Michael Avenatti prayer candles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There are homosexuals, Alex Baldwins character clearly refers to some underperforming salesmen as "f***ng ******s". :confused:

• Advertisement

Thankfully the next generation coming through from what i'm hearing from my youngfella aren't as bat crazy as the current crop. He's 17 and said they tend to be in the minority in his year (Woke brigade i;m talking about)

Probably they won't be so inclined to accept minorities moaning; like what do you mean you're underprivileged and oppressed, we grew up together, went to school together, if you failed it's on you, so gfto.

Bambi wrote: »
    There are homosexuals, Alex Baldwins character clearly refers to some underperforming salesmen as "f***ng ******s". :confused:

Oh, ok, well I must have been making coffee when he spoke like that.

Even though its' only for closers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

In today's episode of "Everything is Racist", celebrity scrapper Jake Paul gets asked by a poor idiot if it was racist that he knocked out a black man in a fight. While fighting him in a celebrity boxing match.

https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/jemele-hill-cari-champion-asked-jake-paul-if-its-racist-that-he-beat-nate-robinson/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you hate those pesky whites no matter what

20201209-191327.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

woke Santa wouldn't give a kid a Nerf gun for Christmas

https://twitter.com/mrctv/status/1336497796183101440

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

silverharp wrote: »
    woke Santa wouldn't give a kid a Nerf gun for Christmas

I bet woke Santa won't even give lumps of coal because they're (a) black and (b) a fossil fuel.

Meanwhile, the entire white, male, straight population of the world is on the naughty list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Can I still dream of a white Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Can I still dream of a white Christmas?

I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas, all I'm dreaming of the whole day long
    is a peaceful world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

biko wrote: »
    When you hate those pesky whites no matter what

20201209-191327.jpg

That civil-war era 'passing' bull**** -how do they get away with such ugly terminology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are at least two Jews in it

Alan arkins character and Jack lemons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Alan arkins character and Jack lemons
    jack lemmon is not jewish....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jack lemmon is not jewish....

His character in Glengarry glenross is Jewish

Shelly levene

Writer David mamet is also Jewish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    His character in Glengarry glenross is Jewish

Shelly levene
    oh.....am seeing film differently now ...

What the hell is black culture?
    God help you if you ask this question in woke circles.
    God help you twice if after they cobble together a reply you ask "is that all?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That civil-war era 'passing' bull**** -how do they get away with such ugly terminology?

Wtf is a 'passing latinx'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

retalivity wrote: »

A type of laxative ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The guy isn't up on the lingo it seems.

The current woke term is "presenting"

https://twitter.com/ZombaeKillz/status/1224426914313572355

But I thought there were no races?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

retalivity wrote: »

Americans have a bizarre idea that Latinos cannot be white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Varik wrote: »
    The guy isn't up on the lingo it seems.

The current woke term is "presenting"

https://twitter.com/ZombaeKillz/status/1224426914313572355

Jesus fùcking christ....

Presenting... ok, I’ll present tomorrow as a gender fluid multi racial tri sexual called Flog Mungbean Daffodil Fallopian.

Next day, I’ll be presenting as Tony McCarthy from Drumcondra.

If you want to present, go get a fûcking job in RTÉ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Not strictly true since you're looking at cities... but in the countryside, improvements in farming meant greater and more reliable yields, allowing for retaining more of the crops, improving their immune system, in addition to greater profits, which led to better facilities, and education leading to more awareness of medical conditions. Cities, for a rather long period in their history, grew from people moving from the countryside...

Yes, but most people still lived a subsistence-level existence under Darwinian selection, until recently.

Agriculture introduced wealth inequality too, as people with greater abilities and resources accrued most of the fruits of productivity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement