Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I don't find the trans people who I read to be inherently maladjusted. Ordinary people.
    And then some vocal well known transgender people are very maladjusted. There are arseholes in every walk of life.

As for Page I only know what I see. I think they look very malnourished. Skeletal actually. Looking at photos from 10 years ago they looked a lot more healthy and vibrant. The announcement contained passages that seemed highly neurotic and unneccessary. Afraid of violence. Etc.

Then again that is stardom, maybe. Angelina Jolie also looks gaunt and malnourished, and she was incredibly beautiful before. I would say that few people in Hollywood remain well adjusted, frankly. Seems like a lot of them are weird and narcissistic. Not really useful as role models. The cult of celebrity is akin to the worship of the Greek pantheon of old.

Skeletal? He doesn’t even look vaguely gaunt.

It’s so very clear that the TERF tactic is to insinuate that a public trans figure must have mental health issues.

They don’t want the public to see a nice normal trans person living their life. They want the public to be afraid of the made up man-in-a-dress bogeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It’s so very clear that the TERF tactic is to insinuate that a public trans figure must have mental health issues.

Pretty common in Hollywood ,most stars have some kind of mental health issues , when you crave fame and affirmation your bound to fall once the light starts to fade and the next flavour of the month comes along .

I find her to be like a plank of wood nothing remarkable and very one dimensional ,but thats not uncommon either.

You have the same reaccuring theme when other's are post it's terfs this and that and fear ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

She means that most children who have gender dysphoria but don't receive puberty blockers grow out of it.

Ok, the research on this is what could only be described as controversial. Her last point about everybody suffering when politics gets mixed up with science is just silly, because politics has always been an inherent component of science and yes, people have suffered, but there is also no denying the fact that people have also benefited from politics being mixed with science.

So, the current position, and I’ve seen this figure go from anywhere between 65 and 90% of adults who have “grown out of” gender dysphoria (and the numbers of patients involved in these studies btw are tiny, which is one of the major issues with any of these studies regarding gender dysphoria), as though they were incorrectly diagnosed and therefore the whole idea should be scrapped. But in reality, it’s the criteria for a diagnosis of gender dysphoria have changed in the last 30 years, so Stella saying that 30 years ago she could have convinced people she was transgender - she obviously didn’t convince anyone. It wasn’t a new thing even 30 years ago. The idea has been around in Western medicine and science for at least the last century in various different forms.

Much like scaremongering about autism, the idea of it’s over diagnosis has some validity, a grain of truth. However that’s literally all it is, in comparison to the mountains of scientific evidence which suggests otherwise. Same thing with gender dysphoria and that statistic - a grain of truth in the statistic, but a mountain of scientific evidence which suggests otherwise -

The Controversial Research on 'Desistance' in Transgender Youth

Stella then was not diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and even today as an adult it’s unlikely that she would be, but we know that there are adults who “come out” as transgender and it’s pretty sudden for anyone who wasn’t aware that the person is transgender, because the person kept it to themselves! So that indicates that we may well be underestimating the numbers of adults who are transgender within the population, because they’re impossible to identify without any physical characteristics we can point to and say “yep, they’re transgender alright”.

Stella saying she would have convinced anyone she was transgender is something she needs to convince herself of, in order to support her argument that gender dysphoria is being incorrectly diagnosed in children. Now Stella is a journalist of no particular note giving her opinion in a mainstream rag and being celebrated by those who agree with her for being brave in speaking out and all the rest of it. No such accolades have been bestowed upon the thousands and thousands of scientists and clinicians and physicians who are at the coal face so to speak of this issue every day, and are trying to discover its origins in order to develop better treatments which they hope will lead to better health outcomes.

So Stella who is a journalist, and not a scientist, crowing about the dangers of doing the very thing she is guilty of, is hardly the canary in the fcuking coal mine she and those who already agreed with her opinions, think she is. There’s nothing brave about parroting an opinion she’s already fairly sure is held by the majority of people in society, but there’s a few quid in it all the same, so no harm done at least, to Stella anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It’s so very clear that the TERF tactic is to insinuate that a public trans figure must have mental health .

Unbelievable that you refuse to stop using that slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I don't find the trans people who I read to be inherently maladjusted. Ordinary people.
    And then some vocal well known transgender people are very maladjusted. There are arseholes in every walk of life.

As for Page I only know what I see. I think they look very malnourished. Skeletal actually. Looking at photos from 10 years ago they looked a lot more healthy and vibrant. The announcement contained passages that seemed highly neurotic and unneccessary. Afraid of violence. Etc.

Then again that is stardom, maybe. Angelina Jolie also looks gaunt and malnourished, and she was incredibly beautiful before. I would say that few people in Hollywood remain well adjusted, frankly. Seems like a lot of them are weird and narcissistic. Not really useful as role models. The cult of celebrity is akin to the worship of the Greek pantheon of old.

Page is vegan, the lack of collagen in their diet means their face hits the wall pretty hard by 30. Also, mental illness and depression can really age you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Sounds like the same non-argument against marriage equality tbh, but I’m of the opinion that it’s easy to change the rules of any sport to allow for all players to compete on a level playing field.

Just want to clarify here, if I may.

Do you mean it'd be easy to change the rules for a sport so that ALL players (of every sex/gender etc) can compete together?

Or that a women's sport, soccer for example, could be changed to accommodate a trans woman to compete on an level playing field? Vise versa as well, with men's soccer.

Or is it something else, and I've misunderstood? Genuine question, don't want to misunderstand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

In an article in today's Indo (3 December), Stella O'Malley wrote that she strongly believes she would have had everyone convinced she was a 'trans kid' if she'd been born 30 years later, that studies show that 80% of children with gender dysphoria grow out of it - just as she did - and only 5% grow out of it when children receive puberty blockers.

This line from the final paragraph sums up the horror of the issue.
    https://books.google.ie/books?id=M4UJDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA591&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

-This is discussed in the Overview of Gender and Sexuality Development section.

They say that a factor that can predict if transgenderism will persist into early adulthood is the presence of a high degree of it in childhood that persists into early adolescence. So it really is compelling evidence that puberty blockers are a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Unbelievable that you refuse to stop using that slur.

Mod

Its not a slur. Discuss the topic at hand or report posts. They are your options.

If that acronym causes you offence, then i'm sorry but there is nothing in any of its composite words that are derogatory; and we dont moderate on the basis of someone getting offended - thats just a good way to kill discussion.

Its a descriptive acronym and if it applies to you, it applies to you, if it doesn't apply to you, there is no reason to worry about it.

If there are any issues with this my PM inbox is open. This post is not to be discussed here in this thread.

Mod

Please note the clarifying updates to the OP.
    Update

TERF is not considered a slur in itself. If it is used as a reasoned part of the discussion here, it wont be actioned.

Everyone using this thread would do well to read this and abide by it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110864714&postcount=180

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Who came up with the term Terf? feminists that have particular views about trans or critics of these feminists? If someone decided to label unionists as CEPs, Catholic Exclusionary Protestants , how could it not be seen as a put down of sorts?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Mod

Ill give both of you a pass. Any issues with this update, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

silverharp wrote: »
    Who came up with the term Terf? feminists that have particular views about trans or critics of these feminists? If someone decided to label unionists as CEPs, Catholic Exclusionary Protestants , how could it not be seen as a put down of sorts?

It was originally used by feminists themselves to define other feminists. Started by inclusive feminists to describe radical or second wave feminists.

It has changed to mean anyone who doesn't agree with gender theory. Even if they are not radical feminists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Just to be clear.

To be a TERF one must first be a Radical Feminist?

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Just to be clear.

Yes originally, but now it is used incorrectly to mean anyone who disagrees with gender theory. People who use it a lot of the time don't even know the meaning. Or what the difference in feminist types are.

A bit like fascist or communist is used widely and people don't really understand them. It just means people who disagrees with me.

Yes originally, but now it is used incorrectly to mean anyone who agrees with gender theory. People who use it a lot of the time don't even know the meaning. Or what the difference in feminist types are.

A bit like fascist or communist is used widely and people don't really understand them. It just means people who disagrees with me.

Right.

My thinking here would be:
    Let's say an American user signs up to Boards.ie
    We all agree that "British" is not an offensive term or a slur. It's a description of someone's nationality.
    If that America based poster then went on to constantly refer to people on this forum as "you British", "you British folks" etc etc then they would be warned for sure. Probably banned if it continued.

The logic being that while there's nothing offensive about "British" as a descriptor it's not cool to continually refer to people who are obviously not British AND annoyed about being called British as "British".

So unless you can confirm that someone is indeed a Radical Feminist you should not be calling them a TERF and they should be able to object to the label and repeated incorrect labeling should be considered a slur to some extent? OK, maybe not a slur exactly but if the person takes it as an insult then isn't it wrong to keep on calling them that?

How can it be OK to label someone with a label that they reject, disagree with or find offensive? Even if the label itself is widely used as a description if someone says "don't call me that" then how can it still be deemed acceptable to continuously call them that?

Right.

We all agree that "British" is not an offensive term or a slur. It's a description of someone's nationality.
    If that America based poster then went on to constantly refer to people on this forum as "you British", "you British folks" etc etc then they would be warned for sure. Probably banned if it continued.

The logic being that while there's nothing offensive about "British" as a descriptor it's not cool to continually refer to people who are obviously not British AND annoyed about being called British as "British".

So unless you can confirm that someone is indeed a Radical Feminist you should not be calling them a TERF and they should be able to object to the label and repeated incorrect labeling should be considered a slur to some extent? OK, maybe not a slur exactly but if the person takes it as an insult then isn't it wrong to keep on calling them that?

How can it be OK to label someone with a label that they reject, disagree with or find offensive? Even if the label itself is widely used as a description if someone says "don't call me that" then how can it still be deemed acceptable to continuously call them that?

It has also been used to dehumanise people, especially women. Punch a terf, kill the terf. It's used as a way to justify violence against people. There seems to be much more hatred towards women for questioning the ideology.

I don't really understand the focus on women for me transgender people have more to fear from men. If the activists were actually worried about transgender people that is.

Right.

Mod

This is not the case in the majority of reported times for this thread. Of course if someone is being a dick it should be reported and will be actioned because they are being a dick; not because they use a term that some dont like that is within site rules.

There is a distinction to be made between using a phrase as part of the discussion and using it to bait another poster.

This is why the update in my mod note says 'If it is used as a reasoned part of the discussion here, it wont be actioned.'

I have to say, i was pretty explicit that the mod note isnt up for discussion. I have had PMs discussing the topic so the message is getting through to some. If you have queries such as the above post you can pm me. Leave it out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Right.

They demand that we use pronouns, yet they don't give us the same respect. How in the world do they expect their ideology to function when the respect element is a one way street? It's out right narcissistic to force a standard on some people, yet not expect to live by the standard yourself.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just to be clear.

Ah let them have their Terf word, they certainly have no coherent arguments or logical consistency to fall back on so i'd allow them this security blanket. Plus, it's a good way to know who the Flat Eathers are when you spot Terf in their posts.

• Advertisement

Ah let them have their Terf word, they certainly have no coherent arguments or logical consistency to fall back on so i'd allow them this security blanket. Plus, it's a good way to know who the Flat Eathers are when you spot Terf in their posts.
    It doesn't bother me but I can understand the arguments against it. It's also funny when used against men who by definition cannot be radical feminists.

I don't need others to validate me or define me so if someone calls me a terf it's not going to upset me really more of an eye roll.

I wouldn't consider myself a radical feminist but probably closer to it then current feminists who are a pain in the arse. I don't really see the insult.

Sounds like the same non-argument against marriage equality tbh, but I’m of the opinion that it’s easy to change the rules of any sport to allow for all players to compete on a level playing field. They already have different levels in many sports based on players abilities as opposed to their characteristics. That way it wouldn’t matter who they’re knocking boots with off court or how many bottles they take into the shower, they would be competing on an equal footing as anyone else.

This is a sound argument and maybe it should be possible to just say that we'd have no more gender based divisions in sports and everyone just goes in together.

Accepting this also means that for a lot of sports you will simply lose the women's division permanently. That would ultimately need to be accepted.

For many people the 100 metres is one of the "main event" competitions in the Olympic Games.

The current women's world record is an amazing 10.49.

However, this time would not even be enough to make the semi-finals (top 24) of the men's competition.

Get rid of the divisions and you will probably never see another woman performing in an Olympic 100 meter final, or even semi-final, at the Olympic Games ever again.

Indeed the only thing separating some of the current men's competitors and a world record is their gender identity. Many of these runners could identify as a woman tomorrow and be deemed the fastest woman in the world by Monday.

Obviously that is not happening and maybe it will never happen.
    It definitely could happen though.

You could very easily look at the athletics field in the next few decades and see that the women's medals are exclusively competed for by women who have transitioned at some point in their lives.

Of course, this is where Radical Feminists now see the writing on the wall.
    The future of cis-women as legitimate competitors in the world of sports is potentially under threat unless tight regulations are put in place and then protected.

On a smaller scale you could look at races where nothing is really at stake except for prize money. Say a local marathon race offers 5,000 euro to the fastest man and the fastest woman. A male competitor who might be expected to be just outside the top 5 men's finishers could identify themselves as an entrant into the women's event and walk home with a nice bit of cash in their pocket.

Of course sports people would never do something like abuse or break the rules for money so it's probably OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So calling a woman a woman gets a ban but slurring someone as a TERF, despite that person asking not to be referred to in that way, is fine.

Seriously, f*ck this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It has also been used to dehumanise people, especially women. Punch a terf, kill the terf. It's used as a way to justify violence against people. There seems to be much more hatred towards women for questioning the ideology.

I don't really understand the focus on women for me transgender people have more to fear from men. If the activists were actually worried about transgender people that is.

Someone recently pointed out that most of the abuse in this debate is from usually younger gay men to usually older women. I find the contempt displayed sometimes reminds me of the old term of abuse "breeder" or even hag. If we do not acknowledge this contempt we are obfuscating.

The radical part does not bother me. I am not a feminist as is acceptable these days so it does not apply. I find the "exclusionary" part of the term to be the most insulting. It directly suggests hate and bigotry.The exclusion implied means you (usually a woman though sometimes men) want to keep transwomen out of women's spaces like sport, refuges, etc and the direct implication is this is an attempt at hate and erasure. When it is absolutely not. It is a valid debate about a conflict of rights. Every accommodation can be respectfully made for people who are not female in suitable sporting categories, refuges, prisons, intimate spaces etc thus ensuring everyone's rights and protections are upheld.

This is a sound argument and maybe it should be possible to just say that we'd have no more gender based divisions in sports and everyone just goes in together.

Accepting this also means that for a lot of sports you will simply lose the women's division permanently. That would ultimately need to be accepted.

For many people the 100 metres is one of the "main event" competitions in the Olympic Games.

The current women's world record is an amazing 10.49.

However, this time would not even be enough to make the semi-finals (top 24) of the men's competition.

Get rid of the divisions and you will probably never see another woman performing in an Olympic 100 meter final, or even semi-final, at the Olympic Games ever again.

Indeed the only thing separating some of the current men's competitors and a world record is their gender identity. Many of these runners could identify as a woman tomorrow and be deemed the fastest woman in the world by Monday.

Obviously that is not happening and maybe it will never happen.
    It definitely could happen though.

You could very easily look at the athletics field in the next few decades and see that the women's medals are exclusively competed for by women who have transitioned at some point in their lives.

Of course, this is where Radical Feminists now see the writing on the wall.
    The future of cis-women as legitimate competitors in the world of sports is potentially under threat unless tight regulations are put in place and then protected.

On a smaller scale you could look at races where nothing is really at stake except for prize money. Say a local marathon race offers 5,000 euro to the fastest man and the fastest woman. A male competitor who might be expected to be just outside the top 5 men's finishers could identify themselves as an entrant into the women's event and walk home with a nice bit of cash in their pocket.

Of course sports people would never do something like abuse or break the rules for money so it's probably OK.

the slight counter argument is that there probably never be enough of them to top every event at an Olympics. How many men can run 100m in under 11 seconds?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the slight counter argument is that there probably never be enough of them to top every event at an Olympics. How many men can run 100m in under 11 seconds?

Of course.

So you get rid of gender divisions and sport becomes almost entirely dominated by men. Cis men. Which is the worst kind of man!

No option to see anyone but Cis men at major events. It's a shame to do that just as women's soccer, for example, is exploding in popularity. Sorry ladies you can't have your own divisions. Compete with the lads or move on.

OR you relax your restrictions on women's sports and the majority of your top women's competitors will be women who have transitioned at some point in their lives. In that scenario, for example, say a young girl admires the 2032 women's decathlon champion and wants to be a competitor herself one day. "Oh no, it's only women who have transitioned who make it big these days".

The other options would be things like a 3rd "trans division" but I don't see how this is viable since it basically denies the "trans-women are women" rule and so I'm not sure how that could be workable?

I suppose you could look at doing things like expanding the 100 meter final field to 12 slots and then saying we must have 4 slots for cis-men, 4 slots for cis-woman and 4 slots for people who have transitioned. This would probably not go over well as the 4 cis-men would be over the line in under 10 seconds while the rest are left in the dust.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the next decade or so.

Right now, I would guess that there is very little incentive for male competitors to move over to the women's event and probably quite a lot of social pressure to not do that. As prize money allocations and money from sponsorships start to even out a bit we could see a lot more change coming up.

Of course.

So you get rid of gender divisions and sport becomes almost entirely dominated by men. Cis men. Which is the worst kind of man!

No option to see anyone but Cis men at major events. It's a shame to do that just as women's soccer, for example, is exploding in popularity. Sorry ladies you can't have your own divisions. Compete with the lads or move on.

OR you relax your restrictions on women's sports and the majority of your top women's competitors will be women who have transitioned at some point in their lives. In that scenario, for example, say a young girl admires the 2032 women's decathlon champion and wants to be a competitor herself one day. "Oh no, it's only women who have transitioned who make it big these days".

The other options would be things like a 3rd "trans division" but I don't see how this is viable since it basically denies the "trans-women are women" rule and so I'm not sure how that could be workable?

I suppose you could look at doing things like expanding the 100 meter final field to 12 slots and then saying we must have 4 slots for cis-men, 4 slots for cis-woman and 4 slots for people who have transitioned. This would probably not go over well as the 4 cis-men would be over the line in under 10 seconds while the rest are left in the dust.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the next decade or so.

Right now, I would guess that there is very little incentive for male competitors to move over to the women's event and probably quite a lot of social pressure to not do that. As prize money allocations and money from sponsorships start to even out a bit we could see a lot more change coming up.

the current kind of loophole situation looks unsustainable , so either trans people have their own events or you get rid of gender in sport all together and let the chips fall where they may. There would still be sponsorship and opportunities for the best female athletes and looked at in a particular way fits in with Equality

"Twackos"

A number of individuals who base everything they say based off what they read on twitter ,words pronouns and so on Sjw's types
    Can be used to describe one or many .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Where did I say race was based in science?

I may have read what you said to be wrong, when you said...
    The only one of those that actually happens is race. The others are silly gotchas that don’t exist.

It read that you were implying that race exists, which as you seem to agree is not founded in Science, so doesn't exist.

https://unherd.com/thepost/in-the-keira-bell-case-the-nhs-trust-had-no-answers/

This was an interesting read, how long were people called bigots and such for rasing concerns, and told that there is evidence to support the Tavistock, so their bigotry is unfounded.

Well, it would seem that when asked to present the evidence, there was none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

"Twitter's UK govt head of Public Policy @KatyMinshall agreed at Human Rights Committee that ‘terf’, like "bitch and ****" is a gendered term, and that tweets using the term, like those cited below, violate Twitter’s policies and should be removed."

"STANDARDS COMMISSION FOR SCOTLAND:
    Dundee Councillor Gregor Murray was suspended after the Commission found Murray "abused the complainer by referring to her as a TERF (a pejorative term which stands for ‘trans-exclusionary radical feminist’)."

"UK COURT JUDGE:
    District Judge John Woollard acknowledged 'Terf' as a derogatory word aimed at, primarily, gender critical women. (Basildon Magistrate's Court on 01/03/2019 REGINA vs YARDLEY)."

"All Party Parliamentary Group Report on Hate Crime:
    On threats & encouragement of violence towards 'terfs' -
    "It can easily be argued that this constitutes hate speech under Criminal Justice Act, which people have been successfully prosecuted for.""

The Medical Journal of Australia
    "The MJA apologises unreservedly for the derogatory term used in a recent post, which does not reflect the views of the MJA. A review of all our social media protocols is underway to ensure similar incidents are not a part of the MJA's social media activity - MJA Editor-in-Chief"

Boards: "Shut up TERFs."

https://twitter.com/hogotheforsaken/status/1158355043667664896?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement