Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough, longest section is just under 50m :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough

If they need long rods it won't happen, they don't carry them around

fritzelly wrote: »

Arse, time to get the ducts open to see what might be there in terms of pull ropes but I'm not too hopefull

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Arse, time to get the ducts open to see what might be there in terms of pull ropes but I'm not too hopefull

Search YouTube for vacuuming a string through a duct, then use the string to pull a rope.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Search YouTube for vacuuming a string through a duct, then use the string to pull a rope.

Not really an option with the ducts I have. Let's see, if the installer calls early and states he needs longer rods which delays it many days I might offer to head off and get rods and it it ready myself. Should have done it before now myself really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How long a duct is likely to cause a problem? It's about 15m from the roadside to my front door.

Spotted 2 of the vans parked up down at the cabinet in town today, got a wee bit optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Got a call to say my install day is tomorrow between '9am and 5pm' - I foresee someone rocking up, shrugging at the long underground duct run and not coming back. Time will tell! Tbh, I had the same fear when they installed the POTS line initially, wasn't a problem then but there was pull ropes to use, this time they will need to use duct rods...hopefully they will have ones which are long enough, longest section is just under 50m :(

What diameter duct do you have?

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Combo of 10cm and 4~5cm, long run from the street (100m). These got horsed in during the house build, not really to any spec unlike a 'normal' house build which the builder would put a duct from the side of house to the street as one long run...usually
    Well good news, the guy had a 60m reel with him. So while he went to the road to check out the pole unit he left me at the duct to put in some pull ropes on the long run (50m~). Just as I was finishing that up he came back to state that the there was no light on the port on the pole! :(
    Gets pushed back to OpenEir to chase what that is. Suggested that it just needs to be 'activated', unsure if thats the case or if its a break maybe? Anyone experience that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Haven’t seen KN in days.

There was a power cut here earlier and my ADSL1 is uncongested atm. Pulling in just under 4mbps. Normally 2.7mbps.

Combo of 10cm and 4~5cm, long run from the street (100m). These got horsed in during the house build, not really to any spec unlike a 'normal' house build which the builder would put a duct from the side of house to the street as one long run...usually
    Well good news, the guy had a 60m reel with him. So while he went to the road to check out the pole unit he left me at the duct to put in some pull ropes on the long run (50m~). Just as I was finishing that up he came back to state that the there was no light on the port on the pole! :(
    Gets pushed back to OpenEir to chase what that is. Suggested that it just needs to be 'activated', unsure if thats the case or if its a break maybe? Anyone experience that issue?

With those good diameter ducts and a pull rope in situ the biggest install challenge (for underground) appears well in hand .

The “light at port” issue has come up with others on here and may take a bit of time to resolve at back end by OpenEir. But once you can get the cable 100m UG that’s a great bonus for the install.

• Advertisement

With those good diameter ducts and a pull rope in situ the biggest install challenge (for underground) appears well in hand .

The “light at port” issue has come up with others on here and may take a bit of time to resolve at back end by OpenEir. But once you can get the cable 100m UG that’s a great bonus for the install.

Kinda leaves me in limbo, no idea who to contact for a status update - do I contact OpenEir (via email?) or just contact Eir themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kinda leaves me in limbo, no idea who to contact for a status update - do I contact OpenEir (via email?) or just contact Eir themselves?

Eir CS. Nobody else is meant to talk to you.

No light at the optical drop:
    -Not connected at OLT
    -Not connected at downstream split
    -Bend somewhere
    -Break somewhere

Who's to know whats the actual cause. One would hope OE would have checked for reasonable RX levels at each point before going live for orders. One would hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

KN crews are around Borrisoleigh area.They ran fibre on poles up back road heading right off Nenagh road outside town today.Yellow line only runs about 200 metres on this section most of it being ducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

There's been a lot of activity with wires drawn along poles, new poles put in and stuff pushed through some underground ducts along the road. I wasn't home when they went by my place & I haven't any idea if they actually drew cables passed me - is there anything identifiable I should look for? I don't even know if the cables are new or were always there (don't usually scrutinise overhead wires), although there appears to be sagging twisted wires around the place that look new.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Placed my order for fibre last week. have my install scheduled for Friday. I suppose that won't happen now with the weather!

An eir sales guy called yesterday evening about 8pm trying to sell me Fibre.
    I told him I already had order in. He mentioned that for some reason, my neighbours house wasn't on his list of houses to visit. He didn't know why but said he had seen it happening before. He said he would drop in and see if they might know why she wouldn't be on his list, due to her being a business account or something similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Placed my order for fibre last week. have my install scheduled for Friday. I suppose that won't happen now with the weather!

I told him I already had order in. He mentioned that for some reason, my neighbours house wasn't on his list of houses to visit. He didn't know why but said he had seen it happening before. He said he would drop in and see if they might know why she wouldn't be on his list, due to her being a business account or something similiar.
    Yup can't see your install happening this Friday with this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Depends on your location ... not everywhere in Ireland is under snow :D

ED E wrote: »
    Eir CS. Nobody else is meant to talk to you.

No light at the optical drop:
    -Not connected at OLT
    -Not connected at downstream split
    -Bend somewhere
    -Break somewhere

Who's to know whats the actual cause. One would hope OE would have checked for reasonable RX levels at each point before going live for orders. One would hope...

Just been informed by Eir CS that the forecast date to have the issue resolved is 28/03/2018 :( ah well, hopefully it will be sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Depends on your location ... not everywhere in Ireland is under snow :D

You clearly haven't seen the BBC video prognosis for Friday. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43221384

Fast forward 75%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

cnocbui wrote: »
    You clearly haven't seen the BBC video prognosis for Friday. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43221384

Fast forward 75%.

I'm well aware of that :D but some areas will clear a lot quicker than others ..again it depends on location

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

I just wanted to report back on my desire to use my own router - FritzBox 7390 - for the VOIP function as I finally got installed yesterday, just as the snow was starting to fall! Eir had no problem providing the SIP password. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet but I believe that I have all of the necessary to get this setup and remove the F2000 from my network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fergoc wrote: »
    I just wanted to report back on my desire to use my own router - FritzBox 7390 - for the VOIP function as I finally got installed yesterday, just as the snow was starting to fall! Eir had no problem providing the SIP password. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet but I believe that I have all of the necessary to get this setup and remove the F2000 from my network.

Good to know. Thanks.

Some progress made. They've been on my road all day installing new poles.

Not sure how far that puts me from actual availability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ours were replaced about this time last year and the black connection boxes just went up a week or so ago.

There was an issue with blocked ducts in the village which has caused a 4-5 month delay so it mightn't be as slow as this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Some progress made. They've been on my road all day installing new poles.

Not sure how far that puts me from actual availability though.

You are months away at least

You are months away at least

Lol, ah well, at least it's movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Does anyone know what LE on the pole in blue means?

I've seen the L for loop and DP for distribution point i think.

The reason i ask is that the rollout on our road(according to the map)stops with the house before ours. Approx 200m away. However it looks like they continued about 100m closer to us to a pole with LE on it and what looks like a one of those distribution points/boxes.

Many Thanks.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what LE on the pole in blue means?

I've seen the L for loop and DP for distribution point i think.

The reason i ask is that the rollout on our road(according to the map)stops with the house before ours. Approx 200m away. However it looks like they continued about 100m closer to us to a pole with LE on it and what looks like a one of those distribution points/boxes.

If you're within 150m of a distribution point, chances are extremely good, that you can get it. The lines on the fibre map (or the houses enabled) are not very accurate.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Marlow wrote: »
    If you're within 150m of a distribution point, chances are extremely good, that you can get it. The lines on the fibre map (or the houses enabled) are not very accurate.

/M

Thanks Marlow. Fingers crossed then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement