Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks, that might be tricky as there is poor mobile coverage at his location :eek:

Satellite BB then - eeeek
    Check what wireless providers there may be in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Off topic slightly but curious about this. Telecom Italia manhole covers just outside Borrisoleigh. They are the same as the Esat ones in Thurles and NDP ones in Templemore. Opposite side to Eircoms network too (no even poles in the vincinity beside it). Who owns this I wonder. If only I had a crowbar.

Only Telecom Italia presence in Ireland seems to be Telecom Italia Finance. Would be interesting alright, to get a looksie.

Could also be, that somebody just bought stockpile of "left overs" cheap .. couldn't get the right ones at the time, etc. Has happened before.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Off topic slightly but curious about this. Telecom Italia manhole covers just outside Borrisoleigh. They are the same as the Esat ones in Thurles and NDP ones in Templemore. Opposite side to Eircoms network too (no even poles in the vincinity beside it). Who owns this I wonder. If only I had a crowbar.

That ej on the cover is the former Cavanagh foundry in Birr. They probably had a lot of covers going cheap and someone bought them at a discount.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1021/481695-ej-steel-plant/

They probably had an lot of covers going cheap and someone bought them at a discount.

Jup. I remembered something like that. Quite a few odd manhole covers gone cheap in the end.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

You'd think they'd have the Telecom Italia bit removed with a grinder before using them though. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    You'd think they'd have the Telecom Italia bit removed with a grinder before using them though. Jaysus.

Nah. No point in spending any more money on labour, when they already are selling the covers at a loss.

And whoever bought or fitted it obviously couldn't care any less either.

Makes it even more interesting to have a looksie.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah. No point in spending any more money on labour, when they already are selling the covers at a loss.

And whoever bought or fitted it obviously couldn't care any less either.

Makes it even more interesting to have a looksie.

/M

Completely random question and a silly one at that - if anyone popped open a lid into a chamber like that, is it considered trespassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Completely random question and a silly one at that - if anyone popped open a lid into a chamber like that, is it considered trespassing?

They are normally locked with a special key so you shouldn’t be able to just open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

My daughter has just ordered Digiweb FTTH for installation in a couple of weeks. She has 2 questions:

1. which model of Fritz!Box Modem does Digiweb supply at the moment ?

2. As she opted for FTTH without VOIP, will the supplied modem have the 2 ports for analog phones and will she be able to order an upgrade to add VOIP later without changing the modem ?

Thanks TIA

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pique wrote: »

The lids are made of cast iron and are designed to a legally-required standard to survive things like having trucks drive over them. Grinding the logo off probably wouldn't impair their structural integrity, but...
    KeRbDoG wrote: »

I've heard of one operator who threatened a trespass complaint against someone for lifting some lids, but I've never heard of a case actually going to court.

• Advertisement

pg17 wrote: »
    My daughter has just ordered Digiweb FTTH for installation in a couple of weeks. She has 2 questions:

1. which model of Fritz!Box Modem does Digiweb supply at the moment ?

2. As she opted for FTTH without VOIP, will the supplied modem have the 2 ports for analog phones and will she be able to order an upgrade to add VOIP later without changing the modem ?

Thanks TIA

They'll probably supply the Fritz!Box 4040 and no, that doesn't have the analog ports.

They offered customers with older routers to upgrade to the 7560 for about 50 EUR. https://www.digiweb.ie/fritzbox7560-upgrade/ .. I'm unsure, if that offer also applies to customers that get the 4040.

You will have to ring them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

pg17 wrote: »
    As she opted for FTTH without VOIP, will the supplied modem have the 2 ports for analog phones and will she be able to order an upgrade to add VOIP later without changing the modem ?

Thanks TIA

My package with them doesn't include VOIP. The model they sent me 3 months ago was 7560.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

The model I got five months ago was the Fritz!box 7560. I've found it fine to work with. Far better than the poor offering from Eir.
    3btPfu1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

We changed to Digiweb last month and got supplied the Fritz!box 7560 also.
    We did opt for the VOIP option for our existing analogue phone and it works fine plugged in to that FON1 socket in the pic.

I would say that as long as they supply the 7560 to everyone, it should be no problem upgrading your FTTH contract to include VOIP in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2 KN vans out at the end of the road yesterday evening lifting an access cover. I asked them if they had any clue on the time frames but they didn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Gwynston wrote: »
    We changed to Digiweb last month and got supplied the Fritz!box 7560 also.
    We did opt for the VOIP option for our existing analogue phone and it works fine plugged in to that FON1 socket in the pic.

I would say that as long as they supply the 7560 to everyone, it should be no problem upgrading your FTTH contract to include VOIP in the future.

Hi, did you move from Eir FTTH to digiweb?
    How did transfer go? Did you lose internet for any period during switch?
    Did it require another engineer visit to facilitate switch?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    How did transfer go? Did you lose internet for any period during switch?
    Did it require another engineer visit to facilitate switch?

A switch between providers just requires your UAN number.

Normally it takes about 24-48 hours to switch over (if it's broadband only) and all you do is change the PPPoE details or replace the router, once the connection dies.

A provider change within OpenEIR is otherwise seemless though.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Hi guys.. There has been some further works done in my area this week with boxes installed on poles.. Just a quick question, does every house in the area have its own pole and box or are some shared?? Thanks.

opengoal wrote: »
    Hi guys.. There has been some further works done in my area this week with boxes installed on poles.. Just a quick question, does every house in the area have its own pole and box or are some shared?? Thanks.

Boxes are always shared. Typically 8 premises per DP. So sometimes, they've got to string the fiber from the DP across a couple poles to a particular house and then in.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Marlow wrote: »
    Boxes are always shared. Typically 8 premises per DP. So sometimes, they've got to string the fiber from the DP across a couple poles to a particular house and then in.

/M

Super, thanks M.. Now that boxes are installed, any idea what am I looking at in terms of timescales from here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

for keeping a monitored alarm while going with ftth is it only Eir can offer this or is there a way for any OpenEir reseller to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

for keeping a monitored alarm while going with ftth is it only Eir can offer this or is there a way for any OpenEir reseller to do it?

You can easily patch the alarm into the VOIP ATA.

ED E wrote: »
    You can easily patch the alarm into the VOIP ATA.

are you 100% sure of that? It would be great if that's the case. That's what I thought earlier on today but after asking someone at blueface they said it wouldn't work. Not with blueface currently but just asked them.

are you 100% sure of that? It would be great if that's the case. That's what I thought earlier on today but after asking someone at blueface they said it wouldn't work. Not with blueface currently but just asked them.

Ask the alarm company if the alarm system can be adapted to Wifi or a sim version, it will usually be just a case of adding/replacing a board (at some expense). Since the alarm will be making repeated calls back to base the wifi version will be better as opposed to topping up a sim card or mobile contract
    If you give the model it will be easy enough to check

no model number written on it but it's an older GE eircom phone watch branded one. The guy at blueface was adamant it wouldn't work with an ATA. I'll do up a post on the home security forum about seeing about getting it converted to work but was just asking here what way Eir were saying they could do it, there was a different option they had to choose at the very start of the ordering process for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ATA presents a POTS (Plain Old Telephone) line to whatever device you connect: Grannies phone from the 70s, cordless, PABX, Alarm, Medical Pendant etc. No reason I can see it wouldn't work.

ED E wrote: »
    The ATA presents a POTS (Plain Old Telephone) line to whatever device you connect: Grannies phone from the 70s, cordless, PABX, Alarm, Medical Pendant etc. No reason I can see it wouldn't work.

Maybe because Blueface is a virtual line they do it slightly different...
    Thought eircoms phone watch used a sim anyway?

new phone watch is sim I'd say but this one is old and phone line only. I'll have to look more into it. Might be something a bit messy if there's a separate option for it on the order form for eir ftth. If it was straight forward plugging the old phone circuit into one of the ATA ports on the modem then you'd imagine they wouldn't even mention it.

It could well be that blueface and the like are cloud shoite rather than a proper dedicated sip trunk. Probably needs its own thread

Most alarms are GSM SIM based these days. That alarm wouldn't work with Eir either, if they convert your line to VoIP.

Well .. having said that .. it depends on how the alarm alerts. If it's DTMF and/or voice, then it'll work the finest on VoIP.

If it's using modem data transmission, then you're f****** anyhow.

It's nothing to do with cloud etc. It has to do with compression. VoIP can not carry data calls unless there is special extensions like T.38 for fax. But I doubt that alarms even would use that.

/M

• Advertisement

Maybe have a little word and say you want to cancel as it's not GSM enabled and you're getting fibre so it wont work anymore - maybe they'll offer to replace it, I'm sure they've made enough money by now to justify the replacement...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement