Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's wild out there..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

OP, have you ever heard the phrase "beggars can't be choosers"?

Your sense of entitlement is breathtaking.

The landlord who you're so scathing about bought his/her SUV with his/her own hard earned cash.

You on the other hand are a drain on society. You flippantly talk about you (and your partner - don't get me started on her) going back to college again. Why don't you get a job? Why don't you stop leeching off everyone else (including your prospective landlord)?

What is it with Ireland? People see a landlord with a nice car and they begrudge him. Be thankful you don't live in the States - You'd be in the Baltimore projects.

Currently starting my own business and in receipt of enterprise allowance. So you can shove you're pathetic attitude elsewhere

Obviously I don't want to be in this situation forever.

When I see two houses for 1300, ones a
    Kip that accepts RA, the other doesn't forgive me for feeling like someone is taking advantage.

If Ireland had rent capping, and a system of welfare payments that do not involve the landlord whatsoever there probably wouldn't be extortionate rents and a lot more people in homes that are befitting of a modern society. This exists elsewhere. Obviously I'm not a landlord so obviously I want things in my favour.

As for a sense of entitlement, well I guess that comes from my comfortable middle class up bringing, it's been a real eye opener the whole thing..and an experience that will have broadened my attitude to people in this situation...

Did you miss the part where I clearly said I didn't begrudge wealth? But that the sheer comic value of LL rocking up in the SUV and asking for 1300 for a dump was too funny not to comment on?

As for movin away from Dublin, I'd have no problem in that, abroad even. I'd embrace the adventure, however I don't get to call all the shots...

OP, have you ever heard the phrase "beggars can't be choosers"?

Your sense of entitlement is breathtaking.

The landlord who you're so scathing about bought his/her SUV with his/her own hard earned cash.

You on the other hand are a drain on society. You flippantly talk about you (and your partner - don't get me started on her) going back to college again. Why don't you get a job? Why don't you stop leeching off everyone else (including your prospective landlord)?

What is it with Ireland? People see a landlord with a nice car and they begrudge him. Be thankful you don't live in the States - You'd be in the Baltimore projects.

You understand that the college thing is to further my prospects of getting a job right?

I'm certainly thankful that I live in a place that affords me that.

Life is not fair, I know that. I just fail to understand the attitude against RA over all and what's the point of it if you can't get anywhere to live with it!?

I'd love to move out of Dublin, I'd be lowering my job prospects then and is probably be 'leeching' off society for longer. You understand this catch 22?

MouseTail wrote: »
    Landlords do not get tax back if they rent to RA recipients.

Didn't know that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The LL is not taking advantage. He's put the place up at what he considers is a marketable rent - if he's wrong he'll have to reduce the rent or give up the SUV.

It's not his fault it's a rising market.

Do you think if the market was falling tenants would be offering to pay over the odds for a place because if they didn't they might be accused of taking advantage?

If you don't like it, don't pay and find somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The (sad) truth of it is that RA recipients are more likely to wreck a landlord's property. I'm a landlord and I wouldn't dream of accepting RA. Somebody paying €1,300 from their own back pocket is a better bet than a social welfare recipient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    You understand that the college thing is to further my prospects of getting a job right?

I'm certainly thankful that I live in a place that affords me that.

Life is not fair, I know that. I just fail to understand the attitude against RA over all and what's the point of it if you can't get anywhere to live with it!?

I'd love to move out of Dublin, I'd be lowering my job prospects then and is probably be 'leeching' off society for longer. You understand this catch 22?

Not really. There is plenty of affordable accommodation outside Dublin.

You don't have to GO to college - college can come to you through distance learning and the internet (you can do PhDs by DL).

Btw - how would you be lowering your job prospects? Lots of people live way outside Dublin and still manage to find and maintain jobs

pwurple wrote: »
    It's relevant when someone trots out some nonsense about non-working welfare recipients apparantly subsiding taxpayers.

Pardon me for calling bull when I see it.

I'm being a bit ridiculous here sure, I've worked and paid my share when I could...ill be back in work and back in the mill again soon, I don't feel like others are subsidising me greatly given that

Life is not fair, I know that

You know the funny thing is that life is fair.

You get out what you put in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hfallada wrote: »
    LLs have huge amounts of taxes to pay. They have to pay USC, PAYE and now even PRSI on their rental income(even through they wont get the traditional benefits of PRSI such as unemployment benefit). LLs also now have to pay property tax. Plus they can only claim 75%mortgage interest relief against their taxes. Maybe LLs have sold up as they cant afford to carry out new regulations introduced such as getting rid of Pre 63s. Even if LLs increased their rents by 20% over the last few years, I imagine they are just covering the massive increases of taxes on them.

People seem to forget that LLs dont keep the quoted rent. There is mortgages, taxes, expenses and the wage they need for their time. The Irish resentment of LLs goes back to the famine. But most LLs only have a few properties and are trying to survive.

Bless their little hearts.

Seeing as I'm doing this for the first time (moving out as a couple), I'm aware I'm unlearned an inexperienced with the reality of this situation, it doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it..even if I come off as naive and self entitled

• Advertisement

You know the funny thing is that life is fair.

You get out what you put in.

I'd meet you half way on that.

Going back to college was the first step I took after losing the job, hopefully it will pay off

I'd meet you half way on that.

Going back to college was the first step I took after losing the job, hopefully it will pay off

Fair play to you.

What are you studying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- I've had it.
    The amount of sniping here is past ridiculous.

Thread closed.

OP- I hope you find somewhere reasonable to stay- but if you want to post here again- a little less attitude would be appreciated.

I'd suggest everyone read the forum's charter before commenting in similar type threads in future. Different people use this forum- landlords, tenants, rent allowance recipients, private renters etc etc etc. It is not acceptable to start a vendetta against any one of these groups. If you (all) don't cop on, I will take more assertive action than closing down a thread next time you misbehave.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement