Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

I read somewhere they won't drill through external insulation so they are not liable for any water ingress.

SIRO have previously refused installations to houses with external insulation because of this.

That policy has been changed this month.

The way it works now is, that Actavo will arrive and survey the premise. If they can feed the cable in where other cables enter the premise, they will take that route.

If there is no way to bring the cable in without drilling, a location will be agreed with the customer, where the cable is brought in. The customer then will have to get that hole drilled themselves or get a contractor to do this.

Once the hole has been drilled, a new appointment can be scheduled to get the fibre connection installed.

This is the only way, SIRO will accommodate installing fibre into a house, that is externally insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

SIRO have previously refused installations to houses with external insulation because of this.

That policy has been changed this month.

The way it works now is, that Actavo will arrive and survey the premise. If they can feed the cable in where other cables enter the premise, they will take that route.

If there is no way to bring the cable in without drilling, a location will be agreed with the customer, where the cable is brought in. The customer then will have to get that hole drilled themselves or get a contractor to do this.

Once the hole has been drilled, a new appointment can be scheduled to get the fibre connection installed.

This is the only way, SIRO will accommodate installing fibre into a house, that is externally insulated.

thanks a lot for the info. But would you know whether this route has to be at round floor level? or if there was cable entering first floor level they would use that too..
    Or even through the attic ? cable from pole clips to house at eaves level...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. Just a quick question. We have had TLI group working on our road today and before Christmas on our ESB poles installing the fibre network. Generally speaking how long does it take until the area goes live, and we can start doing around for deals with the providers that are selling SIRO?

Hi all. Just a quick question. We have had TLI group working on our road today and before Christmas on our ESB poles installing the fibre network. Generally speaking how long does it take until the area goes live, and we can start doing around for deals with the providers that are selling SIRO?

It really depends. Expect anything from 1 - 6 months.

SIRO gives us an update at the end of each month, which premises are available. Sometimes mid month, if a lot of premises have been passed.

Not every partner covers every city/town either. Airwire for example currently offers service on SIRO in Athlone, Carrickmines, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo. So our network does not reach all of SIROs rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

It really depends. Expect anything from 1 - 6 months.

SIRO gives us an update at the end of each month, which premises are available. Sometimes mid month, if a lot of premises have been passed.

Not every partner covers every city/town either. Airwire for example currently offers service on SIRO in Athlone, Carrickmines, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo. So our network does not reach all of SIROs rollout.

Thanks for the reply Martin. This area is around three miles from Shannon town centre so I'm guessing it might end up on your portfolio eventually?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Martin. This area is around three miles from Shannon town centre so I'm guessing it might end up on your portfolio eventually?

That is correct. There are currently 3 providers available in that segment. It would have the same providers as what Ennis and Shannon have.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

It took over 15 months in our estate in Limerick :confused: looking back now it was worth the wait but very frustrating at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Eventually got it installed and can't really see a huge difference the speed not much better than my old connection.

Went from 52MB down fiber to 68M using a wireless dongle

Wired connection from 98MB to 214MB not what I would call 1GB connection or even close to it.

I'm 10 feet from the electricity box on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Killer_Paul

TLI contractors in Killarney have not been to my estate yet even though they have been all over town the last few months, when I check any house number from the estate on the Siro website it say not available, yet an estate further from town is saying available soon. It looks like we are not getting Siro and I cant get any further info anywhere to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Eventually got it installed and can't really see a huge difference the speed not much better than my old connection.

Went from 52MB down fiber to 68M using a wireless dongle

Wired connection from 98MB to 214MB not what I would call 1GB connection or even close to it.

I'm 10 feet from the electricity box on the footpath.

you won't max the speed using wireless, do you have a wifi card with AC1900 or above? what's the speed next to the router, what's the speed a room away, etc.

regarding ethernet connection, does your laptop/computer have a 1gbit network card in it?

the distance you are from the box outside is completely irrelevant, you need to check your own equipment first to ensure you have capable devices, which sounds like you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Apologies if this is asked already in the 300 odd pages.... :)

do SIRO publish roads that the plan to service? Like the Eir map thing...
    I have seen the list of planned counties/towns but I'm looking to find out if they *might* pass our house which is on the outskirts of a planned town.

Cheers<
    RB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ArrBee wrote: »
    Apologies if this is asked already in the 300 odd pages.... :)

do SIRO publish roads that the plan to service? Like the Eir map thing...
    I have seen the list of planned counties/towns but I'm looking to find out if they *might* pass our house which is on the outskirts of a planned town.

No. They don't.you won't know if you are covered until you get listed.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. They don't.you won't know if you are covered until you get listed.

/M

Thanks.
    When and where is this list updated?
    Is it when our eircode shows as having active fibre passing?

ArrBee wrote: »
    Thanks.
    When and where is this list updated?
    Is it when our eircode shows as having active fibre passing?

Once a month, end of the month. And yes.

/M

Ta muchly.

BArra wrote: »
    you won't max the speed using wireless, do you have a wifi card with AC1900 or above? what's the speed next to the router, what's the speed a room away, etc.

regarding ethernet connection, does your laptop/computer have a 1gbit network card in it?

the distance you are from the box outside is completely irrelevant, you need to check your own equipment first to ensure you have capable devices, which sounds like you don't

For Wireless I'm using this.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KGNDWBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for wired test I used a cable and 2015 Mac Book pro

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    For Wireless I'm using this.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KGNDWBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for wired test I used a cable and 2015 Mac Book pro

Those are renowned for being useless. Some the antennas are just empty plastic.

ED E wrote: »

you're talking about the mac, right:p

ED E wrote: »

I don't think this one is useless but could perform better

I changed my network from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and briefly I was getting speeds of 300MB

But then no other device in the house could connect to the 5GHz network.

If I change to the 2.4GHz/5GHz setting the speed drops back to 40MB

Is this normal? Is the Vodafone Gigabox a real dual router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

on your MBP get a Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and directly connect to your router (get the official apple, not a third party)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Killer_Paul

TLI contractors in Killarney have not been to my estate yet even though they have been all over town the last few months, when I check any house number from the estate on the Siro website it say not available, yet an estate further from town is saying available soon. It looks like we are not getting Siro and I cant get any further info anywhere to confirm this.

So it turns out when the estate was being built around 1978-80 there was no ducting put down going to each individual house. Has anyone had this similar situation with your own estate and was there any plans to come back with alternative ways of running lines to each house?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So it turns out when the estate was being built around 1978-80 there was no ducting put down going to each individual house. Has anyone had this similar situation with your own estate and was there any plans to come back with alternative ways of running lines to each house?

It wasn't the norm back then to include ducting, so I guess there must be many such estates around the country.

In a lot of urban areas, SIRO have worked around the lack of ducting by using a surface retractable solution.

So I wouldn't worry too much (yet).

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

SIRO were outside connecting up the estate today.

What kind of timeframe have people seen from pulling cables through and adding juntion boxes which is what the guys seems to suggest they were doing to the estate actually going live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

@dionsiseire

We had to wait 5 weeks from signing up via rep to installation. Infrastructure was already in place about a year before that.

kleefarr wrote: »
    @dionsiseire

We had to wait 5 weeks from signing up via rep to installation. Infrastructure was already in place about a year before that.

So you could have signed up anytime before that?

The infrastructure is just going in today to connect us, so I'm trying to figure out when I'm likely to be able to put an order in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

So you could have signed up anytime before that?

The infrastructure is just going in today to connect us, so I'm trying to figure out when I'm likely to be able to put an order in.

Probably, but don't think we were live much before the rep came around.
    What does it say when you check via website?

Same as it has last 3 months. Congrats you'll be getting SIRO in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I do live in an estate built in the 70s, my particular section has so far been unlucky with getting Siro. The estate next to us, on the same road, built at the same time has been lucky enough. Not holding out much hope. Been over a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't know if this applies to Siro only or includes Openeir FTTH, VF offer of Gigabit broadband @ 20 per month for 6 months for online orders, unclear what rate or contract duration is after the 6 months.

There's another offer on the same page for non FTTH with more details but that's a separate offer for what they call Simply Broadband
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

Advertisement