Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ridiculous Compensation - About time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Vehicle behind was too close
    Yes that's the rule jack.. keep a distance between you and the next vehicle in which you can safely stop....but there is also a rule that says you check your mirrors a to make sure that its safe to stop. Driving along the motorway and jumping on the brakes for no apparent reason, smacks of an "Arranged" accident to me, and it is happening. For me personally, I always use a dash cam, and move it from car to car, depending on whose car I am driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

jmreire wrote: »
    Sinead. no one is denying appropriate compensation for injuries damage etc. Burt at what point does compensation become fraud? Are you in favour of fraud?

You'll have to take it up with her but don't expect a response. You'll either be blocked or the acolytes will come out to defend her. As far as I remember the Luas rider compensation was topical on that particular day. Certain types of people get a free pass on everything they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Whiplash and other injuries not nearly as well compensated in UK

Yet my insurance on same car and circumstances was approx £650 there in 2012. Paying from €600 to €750 since returning.

I know in construction industry that UK costs are also similar or higher than here.

Anyone who thinks lower compensation will sort out insurers is mistaken.

Straight in the insurers' pockets.

Still want it sorted and if someone is making a fraudulent claim they must be pursued for same.

Solicitors are main ones making money here. There were attempts to streamline and use an injuries board. They made sure that went to ****.

NHS looks after all medical bills here HSE looks after nothing.

That’s why there’s a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

https://carmodymoran.ie/2012/04/21/record-compensation-claim/

As the article in the link states (dating back to 2012 and recommended in 2010) there should be a system of paying the compensation in stages. That way there is no "lottery" payout, but the money is available as needed.

IMHO genuine claims for long term injuries which currently need to be compensated by guessing future costs, inflation, medical advances etc., are driving up the cost of minor injuries pro-rata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

NHS looks after all medical bills here HSE looks after nothing.

That’s why there’s a difference.

Agreed

But the cost of insurance to customers is the same in UK or higher despite lower payouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Whiplash and soft tissue injuries shouldn’t be entertained in court. The injuries assessment board should be the only avenue and the burden of proof should be placed fully on the person making the claim. If you are successful then there should be a limit of €5k plus medical expenses.

In France whiplash is not even recognised as an injury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

If the referendum will help in eliminating / reducing fraudulent claims, bring it on. And while they are at it, they can put the whole insurance "industry"under scrutiny...and make it a legal requirement that any insurance company operating in this Country has to make full disclosure each year.
    How much was paid out in claims?
    How much was taken in hard cash?
    How much were the running costs?
    Shared database, showing each and every claim.
    I know full well the importance of separating the judiciary from the state, but when the law allows this kind of wholesale extraction of cash from people, something has to change. Maybe some out there can comment on stock and share prices of funds which are directly linked to the insurance companies here in Ireland?

Advertisement