Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous Compensation - About time

Options
  • 10-11-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Given the number of threads on boards about ridiculous compensation payouts, I thought people would be interested in this: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/goverment-may-consider-referendum-if-compensation-awards-arent-reined-in-by-judges-884573.html

One of the big problems up to now is that judges are a law on to themselves. This is a good thing in one way - it prevents politicians from interfering in legal cases etc. But, a serious downside, is that there is nobody with the power to knock some sense in to them.

So boardsies - would you see a referendum on this as a good thing? If so, how would you vote?

Is a referendum a good thing and how would you vote? 69 votes

Leave judges alone!
    0% 0 votes
    We should have a referendum (to put the issue to rest), but I personally would vote no
    10% 7 votes
    We should have a referendum, and I'll be voting yes!
    2% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    86% 60 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'd rather the Government challenge the Judiciary over percieved leniency of sentencing and the soft approach to criminality.

Suspended sentences for offenders who have 100+ convictions is bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I'd rather the Government challenge the Judiciary over percieved leniency of sentencing and the soft approach to criminality.

True, hopefully that will be next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Looking forward to seeing the turnout in that referendum, it will happen, particularly the No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can we have a referendum on the cost of housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mandatory sentences , with no disgression from judges to give a suspended sentence or less that the actual sentence type .

Personal injuries claims should be backed with independent medical evidence that there is an actual injury ongoing and no pity payouts yeah you jumped on a moving vehicle and you then feel off ,it's your own fault case dismissed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it's an odd one for me .

I agree with the governments view but I've grave misgivings about politicians dictating to judges.

they should have the referendum and legislate rather than resort to threats because it looks really bad.
    It only adds fuel to the fire that the elite are all in bed together.

then again they aren't the blueshirts for nothing.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

dotsman wrote: »
    True, hopefully that will be next!

Hopefully.

In this instance, the Government are looking to use Joe Public to do their dirty work.

People ssem to think that the various Insurance premiums across the spectrum will reduce if lower end or "chancer" claims are outlawed or capped.

In reality, Insurance companies will not reduce their premiums no matter if soft tissue or whiplash claims were capped at €1k.

As long as this referendum is targeted solely at the chancers with no medical substantiation for their claims, im all for it.

However, I disagree with limiting compensation awards for people who have genuine injuries and are presently effected or are likely to be effected into the future.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Yes, free houses for everyone in the audience

Yes, free houses for everyone in the audience
    Who said that?

That’s common sense, how dare we expect our judiciary to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I agree that government interference with the judiciary is not good but in this case the judiciary have brought it upon themselves by unashamedly nurturing this culture of codology.

Who said that?

I did, That will abolish the cost for those who can’t afford one, me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

The justice industry is a corrupt shambles. Too much money is made by legal eagles through a variety of scams from earning a % of big payouts in crazy compo claims through to high repeat fees earned by keeping criminals on the street and repeat offending. Judges have made their way up to the top of the pile and are keeping it going by making sure the payouts keep flowing. We to completely overhaul the justice industry. Bail should be reformed (I.e. abolished for repeat offenders), free legal aid needs to be curtailed (i.e. lawyers are assigned a criminal and get a flat fee for representing that person regardless of how many crimes that individual commits), mandatory minimum sentences for all crimes (that a judge cannot go below or a prison governor cannot give early release before).

And in the case you are discussing maximum compo payouts need to be set by people external to the system that profits from them. Lawyers should get a flat fee. Claimants should get compo that is calculated by an independent tribunal who assess the case on a number of factors including the past claim history of the applicant.

But the whole system is so rotten and solving it is so complex one referendum won't fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

And if its yes, what's stops future gov capping payouts to future child sex/cervical smear/hep c style gov blunders? People need to think carefully about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

FFS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Pavee point will be up in arms at this.

Cutting off their primary income stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

They'll survive. There'll never be a shortage of old, vulnerable people to fleece

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wouldn't actually surprise me if this was a sop to casey voters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who said that?

Not as if your idea was any less silly :D

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Not as if your idea was any less silly :D

Who said it was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

paw patrol wrote: »
    it's an odd one for me .

I agree with the governments view but I've grave misgivings about politicians dictating to judges.

they should have the referendum and legislate rather than resort to threats because it looks really bad.
    It only adds fuel to the fire that the elite are all in bed together.

then again they aren't the blueshirts for nothing.:pac:

There’s an awful lot of nonsense about protecting the judiciary from political criticism. That should happen all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

judeboy101 wrote: »
    And if its yes, what's stops future gov capping payouts to future child sex/cervical smear/hep c style gov blunders? People need to think carefully about this.

It’s particularly about whiplash I believe. The Irish judiciary awards on average 4 times more than the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Won’t do anything about car insurance or rent though !!!!!

Or bail laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

A referendum on what? Could you be more vague please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Judges and the legal system had their chance and did nothing.

That said I wouldn’t trust this current governement to fix anything..

They’ve been proven to be incompetent and self serving over and over again. They won’t fix it, they’ll make it worse.

Whenever we finally get a competent governement I’d be in favour of granting them more powers to sort this but we could be in for a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who said it was?

We could have a referendum on that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

There’s an awful lot of nonsense about protecting the judiciary from political criticism. That should happen all the time.

I wasn't really talking about criticism more influencing them.
    I fully support criticism , judges shouldn't be beyond criticism.

the dail should legislate...the judges should apply the law
    but the dail shouldn't try to influence court outcomes because we'd hammer (and people do) places that don't have transparency between courts and leaders.

don't get me wrong , I do believe the whole law society in Ireland is up its ass and needs reform . Many things should be taken out of the courts and free up the judges for proper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd rather the Government challenge the Judiciary over perceived leniency of sentencing and the soft approach to criminality.

That is one of the key policies of Renua. As much as I hate their abortion policy they have a policy in no more concurrent sentences, mandatory sentencing for murder, home invasion etc.
    I'm half leaning towards them in the next election provided there's a candidate in my constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be shocked if this led to anything at all other than another report filed away.

Advertisement